Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Want to be the new Layout Artist of the eZine? Look inside for details!

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:00:11 PM
Aquanistic (25)
(: Alex :) < El Ripper >
United States
Hey everyone!  So, I recently started my career as a high school Math teacher after graduating in May, and I know that I will no longer have the time to put in to the eZine each month.  It's also part of the reason that the most recent eZine didn't come out on August 1st.  

So that means that I must be replaced!  If possible I would like to replace myself with someone who will do a better job than me with the design of the eZine.  It would be ideal if you were familiar with InDesign already, but it's not required.  Heck, I had never even touched it before I started as the Layout Artist more than a year and a half ago, so as long as you're willing to learn the program, that is fine (all I knew was Photoshop).  What I'm mostly concerned about is that you have an understanding of design and how to make things look good when laid out on a page.  

If you are interested in becoming the new eZine Layout Artist, send me a PM with samples of your work.  

You can also contact me with any questions about the position.  

I have really enjoyed working on the eZine up to this point.  I learned a lot about InDesign and design in general, and it even helped land me a job last summer doing layout for my college newspaper - a position I held for almost a year.  Thanks everyone for reading the eZine, and for the compliments and critiques I received during my time.  

-------------------------
My FO / FT Thread

Edited: 08/09/2011 at 11:00 PM by Aquanistic

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:02:53 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
I want to publicly thank Alex for all his hard work on the e-zine. This month's issue looked fantastic. I really hate to see you go, but totally understand. If anyone else has any questions about what the job entails please post away!

Thanks a lot Alex and good luck with your career!

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:09:30 PM
Aquanistic (25)
United States
Thanks for the kind words Scott!

My FO / FT Thread

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:34:28 PM
punkr13 (115)
(B Rye) < King Solomon >
California
hey guys, kinda new around here and would be interested to help out.
I don't think I have the In-Design program but, would be interested in trying it out.
I've mostly been working with photoshop and I do have PS CS5.

I'd like to know what are the main differences between photoshop and indesign are? (when you are doing the cover)
if it would be possible to actually use PS too?

and if anything I'd like to take a crack at it to help, always like any art related project.

as for stuff I have done, I do have a deviantart page here:

http://punkr13.deviantart.com/...

(mixed stuff there photos,drawings,etc...)

PS* yup the last cover you did man, rocks

my art stuff: http://punkr13.deviantart.com/...

my FS thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:51:22 PM
Frost271 (20)

< Meka Chicken >
United States
I have indesign but ive never used the program. I'd love to help out so I'll offer to bullshit with it and see if I can come up with something cool. I sit on this site too much so I need a distraction anyways . Are there any limitations in regards to using certain copyright images?

Looking to buy mint condition, factory sealed nes titles!

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:11:30 AM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Alex, your art was GREAT and will be missed. But just like NA, it is time to evolve and am glad you are still going to be around, even if you are not doing the zine.
Great job...you set a standard that is going to be hard to exceed!

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:13:57 AM
MrClutch (161)
(Ron W) < King Solomon >
Minnesota
Yeah you did an excellent job Alex. It was great working with you on the last few.

Good luck with your career dude!

Let me remove the eggplant curse.

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:53:12 AM
Natendo (87)
(The artist formerly known as Nechestriah) < Ridley Wrangler >
Georgia
I'm very proficient in InDesign Illustrator and Photoshop and would love to help out. I've been kinda "design stagnant" since graduating college (for design) and I really would like a project that gets me back in to it.
I PM'd alex with some info.

youtube.com/user/natebit

WTB: 
Rescue Rangers 2 Manual  •  Fire N Ice Manual  •  Rad Racer 3D Glasses
Also, I'm always hunting for Complete Nintendo Powers and  loose Box/Manuals for NES - PM me if you have any extras!

Edited: 08/10/2011 at 12:53 AM by Natendo

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:07:03 AM
Leathco (13)
(Chris Leathco) < Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
Thank you for all the work you've done on the Webzine. I really wish I could help, but my layout knowledge is rather outdated (I learned PageMaker from Adobe, a program thats no longer being manufactured). Plus, my own website is eating a lot of my spare time. More than willing to do some writing for it though if the need arises.

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com...

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:57:54 AM
Berserker (41)
(< • • ll Andrew O. ll • • >) < Kraid Killer >
New Hampshire
Just wanted to say thanks for your great work and don't be a stranger.

I would offer to help myself, but I know I won't have the time for it.

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:14:28 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Wow I had no idea you had been doing it for so long, time flies! I'll echo the comments of excellent job done, and well wishes with your new job.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:59:39 AM
RebaFunk (3)
(Mrs Funk) < Little Mac >
New York
This change is bittersweet! best wishes on your career, your work is FANTASTIC!
And much luck to the new guy taking this on!

Rebecca

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:29:55 AM
Aquanistic (25)
United States
Originally posted by: punkr13

hey guys, kinda new around here and would be interested to help out.
I don't think I have the In-Design program but, would be interested in trying it out.
I've mostly been working with photoshop and I do have PS CS5.

I'd like to know what are the main differences between photoshop and indesign are? (when you are doing the cover)
if it would be possible to actually use PS too?

and if anything I'd like to take a crack at it to help, always like any art related project.

as for stuff I have done, I do have a deviantart page here:

http://punkr13.deviantart.com/

(mixed stuff there photos,drawings,etc...)

PS* yup the last cover you did man, rocks

The latest two covers were made in Photoshop by MrClutch, but the covers I made before I just put photos from the articles on the cover in InDesign.  

Originally posted by: Frost271

I have indesign but ive never used the program. I'd love to help out so I'll offer to bullshit with it and see if I can come up with something cool. I sit on this site too much so I need a distraction anyways . Are there any limitations in regards to using certain copyright images?

Well if there were, we could never have a picture of Mario or the countless other copyrighted images we've had in the 'Zine

Originally posted by: nechestriah

I'm very proficient in InDesign Illustrator and Photoshop and would love to help out. I've been kinda "design stagnant" since graduating college (for design) and I really would like a project that gets me back in to it.
I PM'd alex with some info.

Replied to your PM!

And to everyone else, thanks for your kind words and well wishes.  I really appreciate it

My FO / FT Thread

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:10:25 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Your contribution will be missed. You did a great job.

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:21:16 PM
Slammer (3)

( Anonymous) < Eggplant Wizard >
Saskatchewan
Oh man... I wish I had the time to do this... but with designing Fraggs Magazine already, I'm a little overwhelmed! Good luck to whoever takes the position <3

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:05:34 PM
OSG (28)
(PEEP and PAMP) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Berserker

I would offer to help myself, but I know I won't have the time for it.

Tell me about it. I'm sort of in the same position as nechestriah. Went to school for journalism, though. There was lots of focus on layout and I haven't done jack with it since 2007. But I know I have next to no time to spend making something non-shitty! So I'm glad to see interest here

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:08:04 PM
NintendoTwizer (172)
(Aaron N) < King Solomon >
Wyoming
Congrats on the job! Also, thanks for all the hard work on the ezine. I want to help out where I can. I'm good with photoshop (I did the 2nd page cover for the Return of Ezine issue). I'll be glad to try some layout/cover stuff, but I admit not having enough time to do a good job on a regular basis may be my issue. I'm sure someone in the community will come through and do a great job though.

Also, if we open cover art to the community again, I'll be glad to give my best submission.

Edited: 08/10/2011 at 06:09 PM by NintendoTwizer

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:08:05 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Benihana
Great job...you set a standard that is going to be hard to exceed!

Gee, thanks.

Great job, Alex.  You did excellent work.  Sorry you have to go.  I definitely know how much time it takes to put out the eZine every month, though.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:47:01 AM
Euripides (102)
(Ryan "Euripides" Kent) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
PM'd

Bring Your Own Beard
- The Mighty Euripides -

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:32:55 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Good job Alex, I appreciate all the hard work!
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:33:07 PM
Aquanistic (25)
United States
First of all, thanks to all of the kind comments I received since my last reply.  It's great to know that my work was appreciated  But, for my main announcement:

A new layout artist has been chosen!
WELCOME NECHESTRIAH!

I chose Nathan to fill the position of Layout Artist because he had the most relevant design experience and has a lot of passion (and time) to make the eZine better than before.  For the last issue, he volunteered his talent without being asked and created the contents page in a timely manner and was open to the interpretation of his design.  He was great to work with and I think that Scott and him will make a great team for a great eZine.  

Thank you everyone for applying!  Feel free to offer your talents to Nathan for the coming eZines, as I'm sure he'd appreciate it.  I know I did when people started making awesome cover and contents art  

My FO / FT Thread

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:41:46 PM
Natendo (87)
(The artist formerly known as Nechestriah) < Ridley Wrangler >
Georgia
Originally posted by: Aquanistic

First of all, thanks to all of the kind comments I received since my last reply.  It's great to know that my work was appreciated  But, for my main announcement:

A new layout artist has been chosen!
WELCOME NECHESTRIAH!

I chose Nathan to fill the position of Layout Artist because he had the most relevant design experience and has a lot of passion (and time) to make the eZine better than before.  For the last issue, he volunteered his talent without being asked and created the contents page in a timely manner and was open to the interpretation of his design.  He was great to work with and I think that Scott and him will make a great team for a great eZine.  

Thank you everyone for applying!  Feel free to offer your talents to Nathan for the coming eZines, as I'm sure he'd appreciate it.  I know I did when people started making awesome cover and contents art  

Thanks Alex - I'm really looking forward to it. I'm gonna do my best to make the eZine better than ever hopefully! You've done a great job on it, so I know I have some big shoes to fill.

youtube.com/user/natebit

WTB: 
Rescue Rangers 2 Manual  •  Fire N Ice Manual  •  Rad Racer 3D Glasses
Also, I'm always hunting for Complete Nintendo Powers and  loose Box/Manuals for NES - PM me if you have any extras!

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:08:02 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Welcome aboard!

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:43:20 PM
NintendoTwizer (172)
(Aaron N) < King Solomon >
Wyoming

Woo hoo! Glad to see we found someone. I don't doubt you'll do a great job Nechestriah. Good luck!

Edit:  As a side note... stop copying my awards! 

Edited: 09/08/2011 at 11:45 PM by NintendoTwizer

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:18:40 PM
KidNES (0)
(Jimmy Woods) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
I'm in for helping, whoever is in charge. PM or email me.

Kid NES One
NP