Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Next Gen N64 Nintendo 64 Controller"

Aug 11, 2017 at 2:20:53 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
Originally posted by: Guntz

So it's a light gray Xbox One controller. I'm sorry, this thing does not carry on the N64 torch. The main reason is by merging the control stick and d-pad onto one hand, first person shooters can no longer be played in a modern twin-stick configuration. In those games, the d-pad was move/strafe and the stick was aiming.
Which games are you referring to?  I can't even remember how Goldeneye and Perfect Dark control.  Doom you couldn't aim up or down anyway.  I was always partial to the Turok controls, though.  Using the C buttons to move and the joystick to aim was probably the most comfortable set up I used on 64.

Aug 11, 2017 at 2:27:15 PM
erac (0)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Originally posted by: retroupgrade

Do adapters exist to use different controllers on a N64?
Yes. I've seen Gamecube, SNES, and PS2 controller adapters.

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:46:28 PM
MrPete1985 (43)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Backed this and looking forward to it.

When using an emulator the only controller I ever liked was original Xbox S controller. I mapped ABXY to the C buttons and black and white were mapped to the A and B buttons and it worked perfectly.

Looking forward to trying out Super Mario 64 and Zelda OoT with this.

-------------------------
Just about anything you would want to know about SNES repros
The best SNES PCBs you can buy
Mask ROM Adapter Boards
Fixing stuff on my YouTube channel

I fix game cartridges and make repros.  Send a PM If you are interested in my services.

Aug 12, 2017 at 2:26:26 AM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
Originally posted by: Loxx O)))

Which games are you referring to?  I can't even remember how Goldeneye and Perfect Dark control.  Doom you couldn't aim up or down anyway.  I was always partial to the Turok controls, though.  Using the C buttons to move and the joystick to aim was probably the most comfortable set up I used on 64.

Almost every First Person Shooter on the N64 supports what Turok 1 calls "Left Hand Mode".

D-Pad = move/strafe
Stick = Aim/look

Just like how on a PlayStation/Xbox controller, left stick is move/strafe and right stick is aiming. That control setup is impossible on the Hori Mini and this new Xbox One controller clone.

Instead, all we have left here is what I like to call the Dreamcast configuration, which you seem to like. Left stick is move/strafe and the ABXY buttons are aiming.

Edited: 08/12/2017 at 02:27 AM by Guntz

Aug 12, 2017 at 2:55:54 AM
Loxx O))) (19)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
That's what I seem to like? I said I liked Turoks setup of C buttons to move and analog to aim. That's the complete opposite.

Though, what you describe is modern FPS which I do prefer. We're talking strictly 64 here.  

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:57:56 AM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
Yes, C buttons to move and the analog stick to aim is very much a Dreamcast control layout. Remember, its controller is styled like Gamecube/Xbox but it is missing the right stick. I've tried Dreamcast shooters in the way you describe, it sucks. I don't have to worry anymore though, I have the keyboard and mouse.  

Mar 6, 2018 at 8:11:35 PM
Yoshi (34)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
I got mine in today. Overall the controller feels great. The build quality felt pretty good and the buttons were decent. The analog stick was great. It felt real good for Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Super Smash Bros., and ok for Mario Kart 64 (granted, I have not played it for a long time). Fair warning, the controller cord is about a foot shorter than the regular N64 controller.

I would recommend holding off of picking one up in the short term. There is an issues with the current build of the controller where the analog stick and the L button can bump into one another. This was brought up in the kickstarter by others and in youtube videos and I have experienced the same problem on my controller. Retro Fighters has promised a fix of some sort, so I guess we'll see where this goes. There are not too many games out there that use the L button much, but the contact issues with the analog stick should have been caught much sooner in this process.

Mar 6, 2018 at 8:25:12 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
I got mine as well a few days ago. Overall I like it, but the plastic feels a little cheap, and I don't really like the analog-ish style Z-buttons. I think I'll try to pop mine open and see if I can put some micro switches on them, and maybe grind a little off that L button.