Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: P.O.W. Prisoners of War Contest ends Sunday, 11/16/14 at 11 PM NA time

Nov 15, 2014 at 10:29:36 AM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
I got a tip for anyone having trouble with the Stage 2, 3, and 4 bosses. You can cheese them out easily by getting them stuck in a stun pattern. I've never even seen the stage 4 boss shoot his gun, I corner him and just do repeated kicks until he goes down. You can't do this with the final boss but he's still easily exploitable.

Nov 15, 2014 at 10:33:56 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Balloon_Kid

I got a tip for anyone having trouble with the Stage 2, 3, and 4 bosses. You can cheese them out easily by getting them stuck in a stun pattern. I've never even seen the stage 4 boss shoot his gun, I corner him and just do repeated kicks until he goes down. You can't do this with the final boss but he's still easily exploitable.

I usually have armor on Boss 4 so I don't care about the gun.

But usually you can contually lure him out to pistol whip you and you just punch him as he approaches and he will back off.

Ps looks like at least one other person will beat the game so I might need to replay it and finish up with more lives
Dont want a repeat of last week with the "worst win"  

-------------------------

Edited: 11/15/2014 at 10:39 AM by arch_8ngel

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:35:35 AM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
I've got a high score screen prepped for submission but I want to try and improve on it. I lost most of my lives, 2 to the dang tank boss, 1 in the laser section, and the rest from slip ups by getting stabbed/kicked/ by grunts.

Nov 15, 2014 at 12:03:18 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
This game isn't really my cup of tea... Guerrilla war is waaaaaaaaay better

Toobin looks fun though (Even though it's gonna be emulator time again)

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Nov 15, 2014 at 12:13:08 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I've got a high score screen prepped for submission but I want to try and improve on it. I lost most of my lives, 2 to the dang tank boss, 1 in the laser section, and the rest from slip ups by getting stabbed/kicked/ by grunts.
Yeah, i just had an improved run, but died on the tank, died to one of those in-room shotgunners, and then for some reason let the last boss kill me a couple of times. :/

I think I am done, though, so let's show our hands

Nov 15, 2014 at 12:14:49 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
242,500 plus 4 lives (5k each) --> 262,500 total

Died a couple of stupid deaths on the final boss, a few other unlucky deaths along the way (twice to the same shot-gunner in one of the rooms :/, once to the tank, one on the 3rd boss, and must have 2 more I can't account for :/)

EDIT TO ADD:

Thinking about Tom's record (approx 255k)  I am fairly certain that being able to double-up on the rooms doesn't bridge the gap on its own. (13k pts)

There was no explicit no-point-press rule on the bosses that I saw on Twin Galaxies, so I'm sure it had to involve some extra killing on Boss 1 and Boss 5.  Otherwise, there is no way to do it (the bikers aren't worth THAT much, and I killed everything else)

Edited: 11/15/2014 at 12:27 PM by arch_8ngel

Nov 15, 2014 at 1:37:50 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Game Cleared: 242,100 + 6 lives (30,000) = Final Score: 272,100

I think a score slightly north of 245,000 is possible w/o point racking. The bikers are worth 800 pts. each so there's a bunch of points on the table still. Too bad they're a pain to kill...

EDIT:  Damnit arch, you beat my base score by 400 pts.!

Edited: 11/15/2014 at 01:55 PM by Balloon_Kid

Nov 15, 2014 at 1:59:19 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Ha! Nice. I'd have beaten you're overall score if not for the stupid deaths on the last boss (or worse, the couple of stupid deaths to the in-room shotgunner on Level 4)

Really, I feel like any death in the game other than Boss 3 is a "stupid death", in a way.
Boss 3 can get hard-to-dodge hits in on you, and takes you down in 2 hits once you've lost your armor.

Everybody else is pretty easy to avoid, IMO, and it just comes down to carelessness or overconfidence (or slightly misjudging the blast radius on the occasional grenade )

I know what you mean about getting to 245k by killing the bikers, but my point was that there isn't 10k pts worth of guys in rooms to make up the difference between us and Tom's world record.  It MUST involve some extra killing on either Boss 1 or (more likely)  Boss 5.

Based on the feedback from other typically strong beat-em-up players, anybody want to guess how many more "beats" we see this week?  I think at least 2.

(guessing CLAYB1RD and Thundercat at least.  arnpoly can do it, I bet, if he can master the jump! )

PS -- genuinely surprised that Caleb and Vectrex didn't pull it off, as well.   I thought this game was crazy-hard when I first started it up this week, but I feel like there was just an "a ha!" moment where it all came together.  Put in a few more games, guys, and get to the plateau

Edited: 11/15/2014 at 02:07 PM by arch_8ngel

Nov 15, 2014 at 2:25:10 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

PS -- genuinely surprised that Caleb and Vectrex didn't pull it off, as well.   I thought this game was crazy-hard when I first started it up this week, but I feel like there was just an "a ha!" moment where it all came together.  Put in a few more games, guys, and get to the plateau

Actually now I want to finish it thanks to the engrishy ending
Gonna play one more time tomorrow, but I really don't enjoy that one too much...

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Nov 15, 2014 at 3:12:25 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York

I had the same initial impression too.  That's why I posted earlier in the week that the game was "wrecking me hardcore".  My work has picked up quite a bit and won't slow down till Christmas hits so my playtime has fallen off quite a bit.  I finally got a good chunck of time to sit down and thouroughly play through the game multiple times last night.  It finally clicked with me, and today I managed to clear it twice.  Definitely going to give it another shot or two, see if i can scale back on the deaths some more.

EDIT:  Wow, didn't even notice the terrible spelling of congratulations until Vectrex ponted it out.

Edited: 11/15/2014 at 03:15 PM by Balloon_Kid

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:15:32 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I had the same initial impression too.  That's why I posted earlier in the week that the game was "wrecking me hardcore".  My work has picked up quite a bit and won't slow down till Christmas hits so my playtime has fallen off quite a bit.  I finally got a good chunck of time to sit down and thouroughly play through the game multiple times last night.  It finally clicked with me, and today I managed to clear it twice.  Definitely going to give it another shot or two, see if i can scale back on the deaths some more.

EDIT:  Wow, didn't even notice the terrible spelling of congratulations until Vectrex ponted it out.

I'm sure that on a careful run either one of us could beat it with 8-9 lives in reserve.

On a lucky enough run to not die on Boss 3 (or catch a stray grenade on Boss 5) it would be neat to see 10 lives in reserve.

I think I'm done with this one, for now, though.  My play-through today was a couple thousands points and a spare life higher than I had earlier in the week, so I am content.

Nov 15, 2014 at 7:23:45 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado

Nov 15, 2014 at 8:45:08 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York

I think I'm done with this one, for now, though.  My play-through today was a couple thousands points and a spare life higher than I had earlier in the week, so I am content.

I think I'm content with my score as well.  I just don't have the motivation I thought I'd have to improve on the run I posted.

Nov 15, 2014 at 9:15:09 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey

Nov 15, 2014 at 9:25:31 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey
Congraturation! Lol that is too funny. Reminds me of my old Chinese boss who always told me to wear my GROVES to protect my hands from contamination. I miss that silly bastard.

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:51:33 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

Made it to Stage 4!

I just now noticed I didn't actually die to the laser, but whatever. 

Sorry I griped about this game all week, everyone.  I still don't care much for it though.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:52:56 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

(guessing CLAYB1RD and Thundercat at least.  arnpoly can do it, I bet, if he can master the jump! )

I definitely could beat this game, but I just don't want to! 

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:22:19 PM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan

love this game childhood favorite.  I know it is cheap and clunky a little at times but this is actually my second favorite beat em up besides mighty final fight

Currently Playing mario sunshine, Lost vikings and paper mario color splash hd

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:27:50 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
(Clay Myers) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
Score: 235,900 + 8 lives (40,000) = Final 275,900

Almost a perfect run! I believe I only had one death which was thanks to me not paying close attention to the tank boss and got blown up. Had some crazy close calls especially with the laser guys and had extremely lucky fights against the shotgun guys. One of my strategies was to keep a knife with me and just kick enemies until I got to the shotgun guys. Made it a whole lot easier!

I also had the hardest time trying to kill the motorcycle guys, ended up dodging them rather than killing them which definitely affected my base score.

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:48:28 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Nicely done. When this is over I am going to have a laugh that the extra lives bonus bit me in the ass
(Though still worth it to squash point pressing confusion)

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:03:37 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
(Clay Myers) < El Ripper >
North Carolina

Nicely done. When this is over I am going to have a laugh that the extra lives bonus bit me in the ass

Yeah haha too bad a low score contest wouldn't have worked or else that could have solved things. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:12:51 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
P.O.W. PRISONERS OF WAR RESULTS :

1st - CLAYB1RD - 275,900 +11 points
2nd - Balloon Kid - 272,100 +10 points
3rd - arch 8ngel - 262,500 +9 points
4th - Caleb47 - 101,800 +8 points
5th - Czar5 - 99,700 +7 points
6th - arnpoly - 98,000 +6 points
7th - Vectrex28099 - 47,700 +5 points
8th - JamesRobot - 42,000 +4 points
9th - BriGuy82 - 26,200 +3 points
10th - BilltownSparty - 22,800 +2 points

PARTICIPATION +1 point

None

Thanks for participating in this week's contest!

Edited: 11/17/2014 at 04:46 PM by guillavoie

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:41:51 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Leaderboard updated and sent to Guillavoie.

I'm surprised we didn't have a bigger turn out this week.
Not even a holiday week, yet

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:44:33 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: CLAYB1RD

Yeah haha too bad a low score contest wouldn't have worked or else that could have solved things. 

I think a low score contest could have worked in its own way, I just disagreed that it was a better display of actual prowess on this one (unless you get into some hardcore point avoidance like letting guys hit you that are willing to run away after one sucker punch).

Though it does save a couple thousand points to shoot the helicopter boss and there is probably some strategy in deciding exactly which guys to kill on Boss 5, along with being able to skip all of the bonus rooms except probably armor and the occassional life upgrade.

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:59:41 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec

Leaderboard updated and sent to Guillavoie.

I'm surprised we didn't have a bigger turn out this week.
Not even a holiday week, yet

I missed Czar5 early score in the leaderboard, I fixed it the results, could you resend me the updates?

The contest has been slowing down lately, especially with less popular games.