Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Anyone else repair handhelds? What's the best adhesive for the screen overlays? Not buying/replacing them. I just need to restick original screens once they've been cleaned.

Jul 08 at 11:46:09 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
I like to restore trashed handhelds when I get them in lots.  Typically, I don't like to buy new shells, unless I have too.  I like to keep the hardware original, cleaning it up and fixing the broken internals.

There is one thing I've not been able to properly solve. In some cases, I have to remove the screen from the case.  You know, like on a GB shell where there's the "Dot Matrix Display" grey screen which you can push out with solid pressure on your thumb.  All screens tend to be affixed to the shell by a form of adhesive that feels like it's part tape and part rubber cement.

If the adhesive is dirty or pulls a part, I clean it off the screen, give the screen a light polish and it's good to go.  However, after doing this for a few years, I've yet to re-glue any of these screens because I don't know the best way to do it. Anyone have a good suggestion for a useful glue to use on these overlays?

Here are the general requirements.

1. The glue needs to be strong enough to hold the screen in place a long time, much like the original glue/tape used.
2. Shouldn't damage the plastic/overlay with time.
3. The bonding agent needs to be thin enough to not make the unit bulge.
4.  The bonding agent needs needs to be reversible/unsealed enough like the original glue.

Sorry, I know this is a long list, but I hope to stumble upon something very similar to what was originally used on these units because I think it's perfect for the end result.  I've never tried rubber cement, but I think that might work but I'm worried the layer of glue will both be to think and, with time, the bond will weaken and the screen will fall off.  I don't know that for sure because I tend to wait until a right solution presents itself, rather than experiment.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated.  Thank you guys.

-------------------------
Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Jul 08 at 12:12:49 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Tennessee
I replaced a screen cover on a GB with a thin bead/layer of fabric glue, I have not reason to remove it as it turned out the system was dead anyway so it was more so for looks/experiment than anything but if the need came I would suspect it would come off with some pressure and then rub off the old and replace with fresh. Might be worth a shot. *shrugs*

I got the hair brained ideal when I was "gluing" pearlers to a wooden door and I didn't want the door to get damaged and it seems to take forever to set (had to hold them down with painters tape or they would side down and leave a glue trail) but once it did it held and been up there for well over a year and recently I took them all down and they pull off with some force and it came off the door easy and if any did stick to the door it cleaned off with some work with rubbing it off with my thumb but not so much on the pearlers themselves, I suspect due to the texture.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.

Jul 08 at 12:13:44 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Marijuana resin

Jul 08 at 2:29:08 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
The aftermarket DMG screens come with a think layer of 3M double sided adhesive for what it's worth.

Jul 08 at 2:30:49 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: RegularGuyGamer

The aftermarket DMG screens come with a think layer of 3M double sided adhesive for what it's worth.

That would be fine, but I'd rather not buy an aftermarket screen just for the adhesive.  Seems a bit wasteful, but that is thinking a bit out of the box.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Jul 08 at 2:32:41 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Oh yeah. What I'm suggesting is maybe look into some double sided 3M tape since it's what the big companies use

I'll add too that when you re apply the screen you need to make sure all the original adhesive is completely gone. I actually use a utility knife to scrape everything clean to make sure. There's nothing worse than a corner of the screen poking up.

Edited: 07/08/2019 at 02:34 PM by RegularGuyGamer

Jul 08 at 2:34:26 PM
Soma (36)

< El Ripper >
Tennessee
DO NOT use super glue. (times 1000).