Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Manual," "stick," or "#-speed?" Which would you search Craigslist for?

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:44:43 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: dra600n

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: Lincoln

the right answer is "standard", you young punks!

There are a diminishingly small number of makes where you can get a manual transmission as "standard" anymore  
(makes car shopping tough, nowadays)

They're not in demand, which sucks for people like me that hates automatics.

Yup.

Fortunately for me, they seem to be available on compact/sub-compact end of the market, so I can use wanting a manual transmission as an excuse to be a cheapskate and get sub-$15k cars  

-------------------------

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:46:09 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Manual.

And OP arguing about something like this? This has to be the most surprising thing I've heard all week.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:26:17 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

There are a diminishingly small number of makes where you can get a manual transmission as "standard" anymore  

Yup.

Fortunately for me, they seem to be available on compact/sub-compact end of the market, so I can use wanting a manual transmission as an excuse to be a cheapskate and get sub-$15k cars  

When I got my 2015 Honda Fit, they said they didn't have any manuals in stock, but could get one. I said "I'll just keep calling dealerships til I find one", they tried upselling me to a different model, but I stood firm, and imagine to anyone's surprise, they found one in inventory. They claimed it was a return or some such, but with 20 miles on it, I somehow doubt it.

They do seem more readily available in the smaller cars, but even then they're still limited as the resale value for them is incredibly low, but command a good price in the used car market.

Oh, and I've always called it a manual, or stick shift. I've never heard anyone use anything different when referring to the type of transmission.

Using speeds is stupid. Automatic transmissions have speeds, so that tells you nothing of the type of transmission. Just like when some says they have a clutch. It's not descriptive enough to say if it's a cable or hydraulic clutch.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:29:30 PM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Larry Ellison (CEO of Oracle) brought his McLaren f1 in to get it smogged. Carbon fiber seat in the middle and everything. I had to drive it on the dyno, One of the scariest experiences of my life. Driving a $1.3 million car on a Dyno, which in itself is an odd feeling.

Anyways, that clutch felt just like a heavy mechanical clutch as well which surpised me. It engaged like a light switch, and I was expecting it to be soft and smooth. 
I enjoyed this story, thanks for sharing!  I drove a Prowler for a Car Dealership on order once and I was concerned about messing it up but that's a far cry from a McLaren!

I also would say manual.  Then stick(shift).  Then #speed.

Haves     |     Wants

Edited: 03/24/2017 at 03:30 PM by Stryphos

Mar 24, 2017 at 4:15:17 PM
acidjaguar (668)
(Lloyd Christmas) < Bowser >
Montana
I am also with manual. When I ask someone in person, I do revert to knowing how to drive stick....  

For sale thread located here: click
Wanted to buy: click

Top wants currently: 
Old NES / SNES era newsletters and mailings
Original GB Chinese games (CHN coding on label)

Mar 24, 2017 at 4:57:55 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
I drive a standard.

Also hear it called "clutch" around here.

And if you are searching for one to buy, I wouldn't call it anything and just look at all the cars. Some people may not think to list transmission info if its not a pre-filled selection box.

Mar 24, 2017 at 5:56:20 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: CZroe
  The stuff they are checking for isn't technically smog until sunlight combines it with nitrates in the atmosphere to form particulates. They aren't all smog-related emissions that they are testing for either. Here, we "fail emissions," or "get emissions done" in order to maintain registration. That makes more sense to me.

I'm pretty sure those hippies invented the test when smog became a problem that could no longer be ignored, so they can call it whatever they want.

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:38:50 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia

Yup.

Not all manual-only sub-compacts are economy slowpokes... Focus ST, Focus RS, Fiesta ST, Fiat 500 Abarth, etc.  

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:40:14 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: CZroe

Yup.

Not all manual-only sub-compacts are economy slowpokes... Focus ST, Focus RS, Fiesta ST, Fiat 500 Abarth, etc.  
Yeah, but at least they're not a Ford  

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:43:15 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Originally posted by: jonebone

Manual.

And OP arguing about something like this? This has to be the most surprising thing I've heard all week.
He was picking on me about something so I jokingly picked on him about something from an earlier conversation.   His defensiveness caught me off-guard.

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:48:36 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Boosted52405

Yeah and mechanical clutch linkage vs hydraulic. 

Its funny, when I was a mechanic I worked at the "referee" station which is a place for special cars to get smogs (it has a dyno)

Larry Ellison (CEO of Oracle) brought his McLaren f1 in to get it smogged. Carbon fiber seat in the middle and everything. I had to drive it on the dyno, One of the scariest experiences of my life. Driving a $1.3 million car on a Dyno, which in itself is an odd feeling.

Anyways, that clutch felt just like a heavy mechanical clutch as well which surpised me. It engaged like a light switch, and I was expecting it to be soft and smooth. 

WOW...story of the day right here...that is amazing.  Holy balls I can barely imagine seeing one in person, but to actually drive it (even if just up on a dyno) holy smokes.

No friggin' way I'd be driving that thing up onto a dyno. Even though just driving it onto a dyno is an amazing story lol. One scratch and my life would officially be in peril  .

My eBay feedback
"Hey have you guys ever pekt I nx thrn b gh ed g?"

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:48:52 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
Standard or manual.

As long as it's not an automatic  

SW-6786-5095-2210

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:51:14 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Quaze

Its funny, when I was a mechanic I worked at the "referee" station which is a place for special cars to get smogs (it has a dyno)

WOW...story of the day right here...that is amazing.  Holy balls I can barely imagine seeing one in person, but to actually drive it (even if just up on a dyno) holy smokes.

No friggin' way I'd be driving that thing up onto a dyno. Even though just driving it onto a dyno is an amazing story lol. One scratch and my life would officially be in peril  .

That's what insurance is for  

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:59:10 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia

Yes but insurance doesn't remove embarrassing poo stains from pants. Who am I kidding, I'd take any excuse to say I drove an F1  

My eBay feedback

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:28:48 AM
dukeofhurl99 (1)

< Ridley Wrangler >
Texas
I usually say stick or manual. I said standard in the past until I noticed that auto's are actually the standard selection for transmissions for the last decade. My '06 Dodge Ram has a 6 speed manual, so I'd sound pretty stupid calling it a 5 speed. The one thing that is probably keeping me from buying a new truck for the next several years is the fact that they all come with auto's except for a Ram with turbo diesel then a 6 speed manual is optional. I enjoy driving a manual car/truck. As far as autos having a "stick" style shifter, that is becoming a thing of the past. Knobs and buttons are replacing shifters in new cars.

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:59:59 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

Manual is the correct term, IMO.

The transmission either shifts by itself or it doesn't- regardless of the number of speeds.
On top of that "stick" doesn't really capture it accurately, because unless you have a tiptronic/paddle tranmission, your automatic still has a stick, and that "stick" is likely similar in structure to the classic "3 on the tree".

i drove an old truck that was 3 on the tree once.  It was miserable

I'm not sure I've ever actually seen one, in person, but I would expect the ergonomics to be terrible.

Then couple that with the miserable experience of driving an old-school manual versus how smooth the clutch is on newer manual transmissions.

i learned to drive a standard shift in my first car. 48 plymouth coupe special deluxe. had a three on the tree. clutch took a bit more lbs to push in but i learned quick. seems like shifting any standard to me just on the colom instead of the floor. 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:23:54 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

Some random thugs would probably show up to ensure you're in no condition to ever scratch a McLaren F1 again.

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:50:33 AM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

Some random thugs would probably show up to ensure you're in no condition to ever scratch a McLaren F1 again.

Yeah apparently built-in MRT (McLaren Reputation Thugs) is a standard feature for even the base-model McLaren F1.

My eBay feedback