Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Well what do you know! Cartridges really are "cassettes"?! Well, at least according to Nintendo

Sep 22 at 1:27:29 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: JamesRobot

It was always just Nintendo games. Probably didn't start calling them carts until discs came around.

Thank you for pointing this out. 

To the OP. How about adding "Games" here...

I still can't vote, because "Games" isn't an option. I mean... We weren't dumb enough to call Genesis games Nintendo games, even though I appreciate the jab. 

-------------------------

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 09/22/2019 at 01:28 AM by AirVillain

Sep 22 at 8:11:26 PM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: bootload

A cassette is analogue tape storage, a cartridge is digital solid state memory.

So following that logic, an 8track =cassette 
atari/nes/ etc= cartridge 
is it possibly a bad interpretation? Like cartridge is the same as cassette in Japanese?

“Be quiet brain, or ill stab you with a Q-tip” ~Homer Simpson 

Sep 22 at 8:36:38 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: DaneNES

is it possibly a bad interpretation? Like cartridge is the same as cassette in Japanese?

Cassette has always meant "little case." It's derived from case and casket, which are usually rectangular containers. It means more than just audio cassettes. There's also gene cassettes and cogset cassettes for bicycles, neither of which involve analog tape.

Cartridge originally meant "roll of papers." It caught on for firearms as gunpowder was originally kept in a roll of paper. Cartridge as a container in general is much more recent, definatly more recent than cassette.

Either is perfectly fine for calling a circuit board within a plastic container.

Edited: 09/22/2019 at 08:42 PM by Tulpa

Sep 22 at 10:05:54 PM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: DaneNES

Cassette has always meant "little case." It's derived from case and casket, which are usually rectangular containers. It means more than just audio cassettes. There's also gene cassettes and cogset cassettes for bicycles, neither of which involve analog tape.

Cartridge originally meant "roll of papers." It caught on for firearms as gunpowder was originally kept in a roll of paper. Cartridge as a container in general is much more recent, definatly more recent than cassette.

Either is perfectly fine for calling a circuit board within a plastic container.

Damn,Tulpa! Hit em with the knowledge! 

“Be quiet brain, or ill stab you with a Q-tip” ~Homer Simpson 

Sep 23 at 12:11:25 AM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopinator ) < El Ripper >
Canada
If you wanted the poll to be 100% stereotype accurate, the last entry would say "We just called them "Nintendo games", even for the Sega.", but good on you for actually using Genesis.

Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

Sep 23 at 7:47:25 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
What about bike cassettes? Can you call that a tape?

And I feel weird calling a cartridge a "game." Consider a downloadable title that has a physical release. You can have the game installed on your system without having the game? the "game" is the software.

Sep 24 at 9:41:58 AM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopinator ) < El Ripper >
Canada
Originally posted by: Splain

What about bike cassettes? Can you call that a tape?

And I feel weird calling a cartridge a "game." Consider a downloadable title that has a physical release. You can have the game installed on your system without having the game? the "game" is the software.

Not all cartridges are even games to begin with. Some are painting programs, or web browsers.

Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

Sep 24 at 9:58:24 AM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I have a bunch of Atari Starpath Supercharger games that are actual cassette tapes. Talk about a weird way to play Atari games.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Sep 24 at 11:01:01 AM
Psionic (2)
(Ryan F.) < Cherub >
United States
Originally posted by: themisfit138

In the TMNT II manual it list the game as a cassette. Other manuals listed them as a cartridge.

Yes, the manuals for the Ultra Games releases not only use the "cassette" terminology but also refer to the NES as a "computer".

Originally posted by: TDIRunner

I have a bunch of Atari Starpath Supercharger games that are actual cassette tapes. Talk about a weird way to play Atari games.

Perhaps from the perspective of a younger person but it was very common back then for computer games (Atari, Commodore, etc) to be sold in the tape format, especially in Europe where disk drives were rare and expensive.  The Starpath games are indeed unique in the Atari 2600 library though.

Edited: 09/24/2019 at 11:01 AM by Psionic

Sep 24 at 11:23:17 AM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Psionic

Originally posted by: TDIRunner

Perhaps from the perspective of a younger person but it was very common back then for computer games (Atari, Commodore, etc) to be sold in the tape format, especially in Europe where disk drives were rare and expensive.  The Starpath games are indeed unique in the Atari 2600 library though.

I was clearly referring to Atari 2600, but sure.  

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Sep 26 at 5:09:03 AM
ruudos (1)
(Rad Gravity) < Meka Chicken >
Netherlands
In The Netherlands Nintendo called them "spelcassettes" which translates to game cassettes.

Sep 26 at 9:21:53 AM
ap123 (65)
(Andrew P) < Meka Chicken >
New York
I'm pretty sure the term "compact cassette" was a trademark name for cassette tapes when they were introduced as a replacement to the old bulky 8-track cartridges back in the 60's.

Sep 26 at 6:10:02 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Imagine the alternate universe where you pop a tape cassette into your NES, like it was a C64, and then the mini ones for your Game Boy.

Sep 26 at 7:02:02 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
'Tender tapes. Anything else is categorically incorrect.

My eBay feedback
"Hey have you guys ever pekt I nx thrn b gh ed g?"