Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

We might start experimenting with some ads to help keep the lights on

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:45:48 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: ALTQQ

I'll definitely donate to the drive, I use ad blockers so I'm not a fan of ads. Any way to delete old threads or some of the unused images on file?
Deleting old threads would ruin the spirit of the site, as the value in having a forum like this is having historical data (and images). Space requirements are only one part of the equation, and one that can be mitigated by offloading more to cloud services. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:23:07 AM
Milwaukee_Nintendo (17)
(Charles A) < Meka Chicken >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: Dain

I'll definitely donate to the drive, I use ad blockers so I'm not a fan of ads. Any way to delete old threads or some of the unused images on file?
Deleting old threads would ruin the spirit of the site, as the value in having a forum like this is having historical data (and images). Space requirements are only one part of the equation, and one that can be mitigated by offloading more to cloud services. 

Another reason why this is a bad idea is because it would destroy the SEO that NA has created over the years. I don't know how many times I have searched for something Nintendo related on google, and an old topic from NA is one of the top hits.

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:23:28 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Pledged at Patreon.

Thanks for all you do Dain....

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:44:08 AM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
What about running another T-Shirt sale? Several of us have been asking about it for some time now and I'm certain you can make profit off of that as well. Plus we get that fancy pants award too. Win win!

-------------------------
Haves     |     Wants

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:48:21 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
I'd be cool with paying members not seeing ads.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:49:35 AM
aguy (32)
< El Ripper >
California
This just goes to show there are tons of great people willing to do whatever it takes to keep this site running and community driven. I'd donate again if we had a drive.

For users that want to donate but don't have direct cash, you can do a NA auction and promise the proceeds to go to the site. I did it a month ago and it went great, although now that I know its $650+ a month to run the site, I feel like it was just a drop in the bucket. $20 might be tough for some, but letting an extra copy of an uncommon game or two go to a good cause can seem more justifiable.

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:54:43 AM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
I patreoned or whatever the hell it is.

Thanks boss man!

May the force be with you.

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:55:59 AM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: aguy

This just goes to show there are tons of great people willing to do whatever it takes to keep this site running and community driven. I'd donate again if we had a drive.

For users that want to donate but don't have direct cash, you can do a NA auction and promise the proceeds to go to the site. I did it a month ago and it went great, although now that I know its $650+ a month to run the site, I feel like it was just a drop in the bucket. $20 might be tough for some, but letting an extra copy of an uncommon game or two go to a good cause can seem more justifiable.
Drops will still fill up the bucket!

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:00:31 AM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Also signed up on the Patreon site...have no issues helping you out man, I come on here every single day.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:03:02 AM
MasonSushi (83)
(Mason 8-Bit_Nes) < King Solomon >
South Carolina
Doing a donation and Paetron combo is the way to go. I would only give icons to the Paetron subscribers with differnt color P icon for the tier they donate at. For example Paetron donation at $3 gets a bronze P, $10 Silver, $20, Gold, and $30+ gets Diamond color.

Also, you can do a small yearly member fee that gives you access to post in the BST forms. The site would be free for all information forums, and conversations; but if you are trying to buy or sell; the site will get money from you. Also it will cut down on the people that just drop in to sell and are dicks to everybody. They would have a vested interest in the site.

Running ads wont do as much considering the amount of ad-block programs that everybody is running now.

Come visit my youtube channel

MasonSushi YouTube Channel

Edited: 03/10/2016 at 10:06 AM by MasonSushi

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:20:26 AM
killerkobra (91)
(dean belmont) < Ridley Wrangler >
Alberta
I am now a NintendoAge Patreon

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:23:47 AM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: MasonSushi

Doing a donation and Paetron combo is the way to go. I would only give icons to the Paetron subscribers with differnt color P icon for the tier they donate at. For example Paetron donation at $3 gets a bronze P, $10 Silver, $20, Gold, and $30+ gets Diamond color.

Also, you can do a small yearly member fee that gives you access to post in the BST forms. The site would be free for all information forums, and conversations; but if you are trying to buy or sell; the site will get money from you. Also it will cut down on the people that just drop in to sell and are dicks to everybody. They would have a vested interest in the site.

Running ads wont do as much considering the amount of ad-block programs that everybody is running now.

Nice suggestion....I would agree that people who donote less shouldn't be as recognized but recognized none the less...I did the $3 a month one because of the exchange and is adjusted for my income.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Edited: 03/10/2016 at 10:24 AM by Uncle Meat

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:26:23 AM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I like the idea of a small yearly fee, at least to post new threads in the Seller or Auction forums, possibly Buyer as well. Information and discussion still available to all.

If the Patreon doesn't get what is needed, that is. 

Edited: 03/10/2016 at 10:26 AM by mattbep

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:49:08 AM
Double0seven (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
Whatever you need just let us know, I'm okay with anything that keeps the site running,

I mean if the site stopped running what would I do at work!

BTW for what it's worth I run AdBlock also

Follow Mine and my girlfriends gaming account on Instagram! ---------> Th3p0w3rc0upl3

Nes- 351 (58 Complete)   N64- 59 (12 Complete)   SNES- 33  (17 Complete) 
^^ I have no idea anymore, I can't keep up on this shit.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:50:11 AM
Silent Hill (131)
(A-A-Ron ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Pledged, of course.

After I pledged I saw that Classic Game Room on YT gets over 10k per month in money?! Does that go directly to him? Because that is insane.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:07:03 AM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
Signed up. Pledged my $5/month

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:19:52 AM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
I don't care about icons, but I sure do care about this site. Patreon'd.

Instagram
Wishlist

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:28:28 AM
mc-stratos (0)
(Mitchell Carvalho) < Tourian Tourist >
Rhode Island
Id rather have an NA with ads than no NA at all. Im for it

Recent Beats: Need for Speed (2015) PS4, Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2005) {again} Xbox 360, Call of Duty: World at War, Xbox 360, Fallout 4, PS4 

Now Playing: Vectorman, Genesis, Fast and Furious, PS2, Gran Turismo 4, PS2, Crash Nitro Kart, PS2, San Fransico Rush, N64, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Genesis L.A Rush, Xbox 

Edited: 03/10/2016 at 11:28 AM by mc-stratos

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:45:59 AM
KAMIKAWA (25)
(Keith Kamikawa) < Kraid Killer >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: Milwaukee_Nintendo

Originally posted by: Dain

Another reason why this is a bad idea is because it would destroy the SEO that NA has created over the years. I don't know how many times I have searched for something Nintendo related on google, and an old topic from NA is one of the top hits.

Totally agree!  Just payed up on Patreon, No way would I have the knowledge I do now if it wasn't for NA! I'll give more when I can!

If you give $$$ does that make you Unbannable?

For Sale: Limited Run Games http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Check out my Virtual Reality game PolyAquatic out now on iOS for Google Cardboard!
Coming Soon to Oculus Rift! 
http://polyaquatic.com/...

If you're looking for game art, pixel, 3D, or graphic design hit me up!
https://keithkamikawa.com/...

Edited: 03/10/2016 at 11:48 AM by KAMIKAWA

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:42:36 PM
Darth Vader (84)
(Tony Scarlato) < El Ripper >
Illinois
I don't know if this has been said but why not start auto taking cuts of the auctions and sales from the seller forum?

It seems as though a lot of people already give a percentage of their sales to NA. Why not just make it mandatory?

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:54:32 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Another way to get costs down are to switch hosts.

I think you're with Softlayer no? Have you considered someone like FDCServers? They're BIG on cheap bandwidth, colocation and dedicated servers for affordable prices. Only downside is they're not managed. Considering the amount of bandwidth and the speed you get- you can even stop using cloud storage (Amazon right?)

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Edited: 03/10/2016 at 01:55 PM by PowerPlayers

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:55:46 PM
Mystjuph (79)
(Kyle ) < Meka Chicken >
South Carolina
Originally posted by: Darth Vader

I don't know if this has been said but why not start auto taking cuts of the auctions and sales from the seller forum?

It seems as though a lot of people already give a percentage of their sales to NA. Why not just make it mandatory?

It has been and my response to all of them is this: so NA becomes eBay? One of the great points to doing business on here is not only that you are selling(mostly) to other collectors but also passing on savings that you're not giving to ebay and the such! One person even said possibly for buyers too! That's pretty absurb if you ask me but that's just my opinion. It seems there is a good amount of support being offered and I would WAY rather see ads then have to be mandated to pay in order to gain access to sell/auction/buy(trade?) on here.

Edited: 03/10/2016 at 02:37 PM by Mystjuph

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:02:57 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Yeah I think you wanna keep donations entirely voluntary. Mystjuph has a great point. Perhaps I withdraw my earlier support of a yearly fee to access B/S/T and Auctions.

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:09:47 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
I'm also 100% against fees in the marketplace, or making them private and paid-for subforums. We have lots of random things show up from new users, from NWCs to SEs to random promo stuff. Same with people in the WTB forum showing up out of the blue and buying a rare. You want to encourage as many new contributions as possible, instead of creating new barriers of entry.

There's more than enough people here to pitch in in varying capacities.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:16:05 PM
Darth Vader (84)
(Tony Scarlato) < El Ripper >
Illinois
Originally posted by: jonebone

I'm also 100% against fees in the marketplace, or making them private and paid-for subforums. We have lots of random things show up from new users, from NWCs to SEs to random promo stuff. Same with people in the WTB forum showing up out of the blue and buying a rare. You want to encourage as many new contributions as possible, instead of creating new barriers of entry.

There's more than enough people here to pitch in in varying capacities.

Why should people be able to sell on here for huge profit while Dain must seek out alternate sources of revenue when he has a solid one already? You know most of this stuff is picked up dirt cheap at yard sales and such so the passing the savings argument is bull.

This isn't ebay, you aren't handing your money over to a corporation. It's a community and a very large one. Taxes are real, no harm in imposing a small one here to keep this site going.

Edited: 03/10/2016 at 02:16 PM by Darth Vader