Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Nesrulers Contest presents: Battletoads Ends Next Sunday 11/8 At 10 pm central time

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:17:10 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
Is my math flawed or should you have more than 4 lives left... You get an extra one for every 100 000 points don't you?

-------------------------
GRRR!

Edited: 11/06/2009 at 04:22 PM by cradelit

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:31:04 PM
Nostalgia Ward (52)
(D B) < El Ripper >
United States
I should've put this in my post: I'm not competing for prizes, just showing that I can live up to my previous statement of being good at Battletoads :-) So, for the record, I AM NOT competing in the contest, just enjoying sharing scores and stuff for my favorite game.

To answer your question: I played on 5 lives and used warps (skipping levels 4 and 6), though I didn't use the cheat code at the beginning. I wanted to post my video for you guys to check out, I died twice in the Turbo Tunnel and once in Intruder Excluder. I was going to try to beat the game to prove that I can do, but I got a work phone call, so I called it a day. I'll probably post my movie in another thread if I can get it running.

Nostalgia Ward - the Cure for Your Retro Blues

Visit Nostalgia Ward

Read Some Retro Articles at Nerdvana

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:45:29 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
I see, sorry I was confused! I would like to see the movie if you can beat it.. I always get wasted on the surfing level which I find way harder than the turbo tunnels for some reason

GRRR!

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:12:01 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
(Megan Roberts) < Ridley Wrangler >
North Carolina
Okay, a half dozen more tries, two more decent scores worth showing (at least for me). I did record it too, intended to keep it but accidentally erased it, ugh, stupid bitch. Oh well, no big deal, not as if it were something worth showing off, just would've liked to had it since I done spent the time on recording it.

Alright, a bit weaker than my other scores, but I made it further than with the previous two I shown, still, I died in a dumb easy spot again.
Photobucket
Now this is more like it. What I can't believe is that I managed to get past that difficult jump in the ice cavern on my first attempt, usually I die once or twice first, but lightly tapped the jump at just the right time and got over it. I knew it would end for me though for sure once in surf city, if not by the fat boss rat, it would've been by the floating mines.
Photobucket

Edited: 11/08/2009 at 06:38 AM by Miss Clawful

Nov 6, 2009 at 10:40:39 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

Did this the other day & beat my other high score by a lot, but screwed up in the Turbo Tunnel again.  My thumb slipped off the A button & I missed a jump.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:44:36 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
I hate it when I die to those multiple jumps in the turbo tunnel, if I die anywhere on that stage its always there, miss timing when I press the jump button, and I'm like "Urgh, I pressed the damn jump button!" I love that stage though, the bike part anyway, the bit of fighting before that point I never enjoyed, just let me ride the speeders and I'm happy, though it is perhaps a bit tense, by the time I finish I'm always recatching my breath having held it for a bit through the last stretch and trying to get my nerves back under control for the next stage.

Nov 7, 2009 at 12:37:52 AM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < El Ripper >
United States
Does the game get any easier after stage 3? As much as I hate admitting it, I have never beaten stage 3. I've gotten close (I think) a couple times, but have never quite made it. Damn level is hard as all hell!

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:22:16 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
No, the game gets harder and harder. But really it all depends on what you are good at, as each stage offers different types of challenges, but also, gotta have a good memory and fast reflexes, but that's after much trial and error learning the stages. Once you've played through a stage enough, that stage will get easier, but again, all depends, say for instance stage 3, on a good memory, quick reaction, and seriously need to be fully alert and pay attention, sometimes I'm not, either zone out or taking time to wipe my sweaty hands on my pants or something at the wrong time. Stage 3 will eventually get easier for you, just give it time, plenty of tries.

What I have the hardest time with is the platforming, and I'm generally very good at platformers, but the controls sometimes are problematic for me in here, accidental double tapping and I run right off a ledge, or think I tapped it quick enough only my toad continues to just walk when I really need to be running, I hate that, I've always hated the double tap method of running, I prefer the holding of the attack button or something. Worst stage in the game for me comes way later into it, when you have to race one of the rats down a vertical shaft to get to bombs first before it does, ugh, by the time I get there I never had enough lives to be able to try it enough times to be able to remember the floor patterns, I always go the wrong way first, and again, memory is a must, mine ain't too good, and for that one, being able to run at command is a must too.

Yeah, this game gets crazy hard on some stages, this is one of those very few that I'm not even sure when or if I'll ever beat it, but thankfully, somehow its still a very fun game, even if I do suck at it. Okay, so maybe I'm better at it than most, but still terrible for me, considering all the other really difficult games I've beaten I should've probably had been done with this one too, but I really haven't given it that much time either, a dozen tries or so ever few years, that's not really enough to get good at it.

Nov 7, 2009 at 2:26:12 AM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
Finally got a bit better score, but got greedy and didn't quite get as far

GRRR!

Nov 7, 2009 at 5:01:50 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Played quite a bit more of this game. But fell short of my best score by a teensy bit, but decided after taking a pic of my first death to keep on going, see how far I could get before my first continue.

My first attempt this morning, ended where I usually die in the ice caverns, that jump is so risky, tends to break me several times before getting my jump timed right and light enough to not bump that low ceiling.
Photobucket

My second best score so far, fell short 1100 points from my best, but got to the same place, I tried my damnedest to get that rat cornered so I could pummel away at him, but just could not safely retrieve my stick after it fell from my terrified frog's hands.
Photobucket
But I carried on, curious to see how far I could make it before using up my first continue, got all the way to Robomanus, surprisingly, but he whooped me good. At first I was doing really good against him, but then he speed up and jumped more frequently, I got shot, juggled, stomped to death, game over. Well not quite, I continued to use up continues in that stage, ugh, all of them wasted, couldn't even make it to Robomanus again, I totally sucked after using that first continue, just could not pass this stage.
Photobucket

Edited: 11/08/2009 at 06:41 AM by Miss Clawful

Nov 7, 2009 at 7:35:59 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

Played some more last night & was doing really good until I hit a wall in the Turbo Tunnel because I hit the A button too late.  DAMMIT!  I decided to keep playing after this & scored 869950 before I got a game over in the water tubes while trying to outrun those stupid gears.  I lost a lot of lives in the surfing stage because the game kept placing those stupid spiked mines in really bad places.  Twice in a row, one was placed right in front of one of the jumps & I was forced to lose a life.  I did really good in the elevator shaft, only lost three lives, two of which were lost at Robomanus.  I won't have time to play anymore tonight, but I'm definitely going to be playing some more tomorrow.  I'm bound & determined to get past the turbo tunnel without losing a life!

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:07:43 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
You're doing pretty awesomely, seems we made it up to the same point before using that first continue, those damn gears in the tubes.

Score at 1st death 281450 (not sure what's up with this snowman, he's been getting me a lot, don't know why I keep letting him, this time while behind him I attacked too early and my frog lunged forward right as he let of a snowball, guess that's my problem, impatience); at 1st continue 656300 (Robo-Manus took me out again, but I'll fix him good next time), I continued to play and did make it to the next stage, those tubes, but didn't get far, have to remember how everything is set up, which ways to go, get the timing down too, trial and error.

Photobucket Photobucket

Score at 1st death 463850 (darn mine appeared too close to the edge of the falls, landed right on top of it); at 1st continue 791000 (got shocked by an eel), but continued to play to try to beat the tube stage, the gears kept getting me, those ones that are underwater, ugh, I hate underwater areas in games.

Photobucket Photobucket

Edited: 11/08/2009 at 06:43 AM by Miss Clawful

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:39:14 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
^Nice scores. That snowman can be a pain somtimes. I usually attack him from behind, but if you don't hit him fast enough, he can still hurt you with the snowball. I keep getting better at fighting Robomanus, losing fewer & fewer lives each time I face him. When I fight him, I usually charge-attack him when I get an opportunity. As he sails through the air, I try to line myself up with him as he falls to the ground so that I charge-attack him again before he hits the ground, so that I just pinball him around the room. I can usually get in several hits before I either miss him, or he gets out of reach.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:55:55 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Yeah, I usually get behind that snowman too, but that particular death, I just attacked too early, before he launched the snowball instead of after, and bam, one hit, dead. I've gotten better at Robo-Manus too, but still lose several lives, but I have to take my time on him, wait for the right opportunity to hit him, one or two hits then back off and duck down and wait again, if I tried it by constantly dashing and headbutting him I'd most likely do worst, though that is how I fight him in Battletoads & Double Dragon, but every time I try it in Battletoads my timing is off, either miss and end up either getting behind him or getting stomped on, or shot which ends up juggling me to death.

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:26:01 AM
Roth (67)
(Rob Bryant) < Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Megan, when I'm on a good run, level 5 is where I usually die first too. Good run there!

http://slydogstudios.org...

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:05:51 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
If only I could pass through the first 4 without dying as I do when at my best, but also stage 5 as well, I'm pretty sure I could beat stage 6, the snake pit, too without dying since I have beaten that stage several times without losing a life, then for sure I'd be on the fire stage with my first death, that would be a very good start, though it would quickly go downhill from there.

Are you playing this for the contest Rob?

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:00:28 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Okay, some more scores, though not my best scores upon 1st death, I did happen to get quite far into the game, which ultimately to me is a lot bigger accomplishment, actually got all the way to the Clinger Winger stage, fighting the orb boss, using up all of my continues and finally getting a game over. What took most of those lives and continues though, the rat race, ugh, I absolutely hate that stage, and when I did managed to pass it I had no lives left and no continues left, so had to do the next stage without messing up, at least til I got to the boss, by then I had an extra life to help me die some more.

1st death score 392850. Oops, accidentally ran off the edge onto the spikes.
Photobucket

1st continue score 882100. That shark was a mean pushy fishy, knocked me into the spikes. I kept playing though, but never made it out of this stage.
Photobucket

1st death score 427700. I fell off of the surfboard, what the hell?! Straight down into the water, guess I should've held forward on the controls, but I didn't know I could fall off of it, but I do now, sucks though.
Photobucket

1st continue score 852550. Actually, surprisingly made it here with a few lives, but that rat is just too fast, I didn't yet know how to slow him down, or make him back off for a brief moment, every time I attacked, my punches had no effect, then later, once I was on my last continue I realize that I have to be moving forward to make an effective attack to knock him back.
Photobucket

Well, end of the line, just used my very last life. But I think I played pretty well to get this far. Now if only I hadn't died a few times on almost every stage since the ice cavern I'd have had more chances, may've even gotten to the last stage, perhaps next time.
Photobucket

Game over.
Photobucket

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:23:14 PM
Roth (67)
(Rob Bryant) < Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Miss Clawful

Are you playing this for the contest Rob?

Nah, although just for the spirit of it I played some Battletoads : ) I played up to the Robo-Manus fight and decided I was bored and switched it off.

http://slydogstudios.org...

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:19:05 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Eh, too bad, but then you'd probably whip everyone else at it.

Another game played, but still didn't surpass my best score upon 1st death, but once again, I got further into the game, all the way to the last stage. Gotta take a break from this for a few hours at least, my nerves are shot, need to recover before tackling it again.

1st death score 357750. Urgh, I hate dying in this stage, slipped right off that moving platform, guess that's what I get for being greedy, I just had to have that 5000.
Photobucket

1st continue score 925600. Oh yeah, got really far before using a continue, getting better. But I had a difficult time with the last part of the previous stage, the pipes, the large area with the spikes, those ramming fish and sharks, took a lot of my lives, thankfully there was a 1up at the start of the checkpoint, though I missed getting it a few times, otherwise I may've not continued until the very last stage.
Photobucket

Ouch, that looks painful. Lost almost all of my lives on the rest of my continues to those red hungry creatures. This last stage may take a while to get good at, as I've only had a chance of playing it long ago twice, once when using the 5 lives code, the other time by warping to get me to the end quicker, but this is a first with the default lives and no warping.
Photobucket

Yep, game over, the Dark Queen wins yet again, but she'll see her end, someday.
Photobucket

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:46:00 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

Did this a couple hours ago & I FINALLY beat the Turbo Tunnel without dying.  It's about time!

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Edited: 11/08/2009 at 07:48 PM by bimmy_lee

Nov 8, 2009 at 8:07:13 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Awesome score for so early in the game. That jump has always been troublesome for me, but starting to make it more often since playing these past few days (instead mostly dying in other places), just gotta be really light on the jump button, kinda like a certain jump in TMNT in the sewers, only way to clear that low ceiling. Not sure if I'm going to get another chance at this before end of contest, but most likely will still keep playing afterward, looking to beat this game, which to me is always priority over score, especially for this one since I've never ever beaten it.

Nov 8, 2009 at 8:09:36 PM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta
Here's how I did last night... This was a really stupid death, I let myself get distracted by my girlfriend during the fire level. I have a feeling I would have looped the score if I had kept my wits about me.

I'm in the process of giving it one more go. I'll post back if I do better.

Nov 8, 2009 at 8:49:08 PM
nesruler22 (94)
(Jeremy Freeman) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Ill post it here!
NEED A GAME FOR NEXT WEEK PM ME TO CHOOSE FIRST ONE GETS IT!
jEREMY

http://www.youtube.com/nesruler22...

Nov 8, 2009 at 9:04:29 PM
nesruler22 (94)
(Jeremy Freeman) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Game Choosen
Jeremy

http://www.youtube.com/nesruler22...

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:11:28 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec

Look at this filthy rat that jumped right away on my iron shaft.

(Running quickly to the basement, giving it a last try.)