Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Great Find - Ruined by Fat Blabbermouth If it would've done any damage, I'd have punched him

LOCKED TOPIC

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:14:59 PM
Retrogradio (0)
(Al Gritzmacher) < Meka Chicken >
New York

Two years ago, I visited a local, privately owned game store to see if there was anything interesting going on. Off to the side was a large, cardboard bin full of old NES and Atari cartridges. That was new. The owner said he got a ridiculous deal from a flea market two counties over that was closing down. The manager just wanted someone to take the lot off his hands so he could clear out easier. There was a sign on the bin stating that all the games were $3 each.

I sifted through, finding mostly common, junk titles like Mario/Duck Hunt, Hydlide, Atari Pinball, etc. But I had nowhere to be, so I kept searching.

About halfway down, I found a loose copy of Little Samson and after a couple more minutes, a loose copy of Power Blade 2. Both games were clean, stain-free and unyellowed. The boards looked clean and the labels were both smooth. Each was about an 8/10.

Over in the corner, playing one of the PS3 demos, was this lardass in a Toronto Blue Jays jersey and a two-day neckbeard. As I was rummaging, I'd noticed him glancing over numerous times, trying to act like he wasn't interested even though he was a horrible actor. As I approached the counter to purchase the two games, he dropped the controller and waddled over to poke his nose into my business. "Oooh, what'd you find??" he asked.

I pretty much ignored him and told the manager I was going to take those two games. The manager shrugged and indicated for me to follow him toward the cash register. That's when fatty-tatty-fat-fat opened his cakehole.

"Oh, wow. Those games are pretty rare! You should be paying a lot more for those."

This caught the manager's ear and he asked what the fat kid meant. The fat kid explained that he'd read a rarity guide to old Nintendo games and saw that those games were hard to find. I tried to hurry the sale but the manager told me to hold on, he reserved the right to not sell an item if there was a valid reason. He jumped online at the fatass's encouragement and a few Ebay searches revealed that the tub-of-lard was telling the truth. I countered with the fact that the games were indeed in a bin clearly marked "$3 each" but the manager wasn't having it. He said, based on the Ebay prices, I could have each game for $40 instead. He said it was a fair market price and I was still getting a deal.

I turned to the fat kid, told him exactly what sexual act he could perform on himself, and walked out. He yelled something about me just being angry that I had to play fair. Like hell. I found a deal and he's the one who played spoiler just to be a jackass.

So I almost had two rare games for $6 if but for the cloying mouth of some obese sack of crap who probably got beat up every day of his childhood. And it's no mystery why.

-------------------------

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:23:53 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
That sucks to be sure, however I still would pay $40 for each of those without question.

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:24:05 PM
nothingface023 (60)
(Andy C) < Lolo Lord >
Ohio
That is such bullshit. That guy would have cried if he had heard what I would have said to him. Granted, the manager of the store does have the right to sell them at whatever price he wants, but in your case, what he did was just plain f'd up.

Have any Odd or Rare Variants?  Post 'em here:  http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:37:46 PM
rokubungi (164)
(The Guardian) < Ridley Wrangler >
Tennessee
on a deal this good I'll throw in a few junk titles as camouflage. I've had someone do this to me, but the store owner used a different price guide that was out of date fortunately.

If you have any GBA signage or kiosk I would be interested. Please send me a PM because I'm only here about once a month now but I'm still VERY interested in large system signage or small playable kiosks related to the GBA.

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:47:27 PM
SKULLDEATH9000 (161)
(Jay Z ) < Kraid Killer >
Maryland
Ship your a Blue Jays fan?

<--- Don't be a JIVE TURKEY!
Magfest 2016:  "Even kids are dying to play this game"
Magfest 2016:  "Slip em a 20" 

Campout 2011: "I hate TETRIS I would like to go back in time and punch that Soviet dude right in the FACE"
Chuck Yeager's Fighter Combat - Chuck Yeager "I don't even know you." 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Thread Owner of Enslaved's 5000th POST!

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:10:13 PM
Retrogradio (0)
New York
Yeah, $40 for either is still a good deal but I didn't have it on me at the time. I wasn't really in the mood to negotiate at that point. My urge to smear the carpeting red with that blubberbutt's blood was far greater and it was in everyone's better interest that I just left. When someone ruins a deal for you and the seller is a pirate who won't honor an advertised price, swiftly exiting is the best strategy. The other option leads to being someone's prison bitch for the next ten to twenty.

I did get both games, separately, later on, through auctions and private sellers. I didn't get huge deals but finding incredible bargains on either of those games is like lightning striking anyhow. I didn't expect it to happen twice.

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:25:13 PM
philinchio (0)
(Phillip Rosenbaum) < Eggplant Wizard >
Alaska
You should have also told him to get his fat ass to a gym. I would have, after resisting the urge to punch him in the face of course.

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:05:29 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Wow, that story has me thoroughly pissed off. How old was the Blabbermouth?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Jan 30, 2011 at 3:19:34 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
I would've punched him good and hard in the face, then told the manager if he jacked the prices I was going to do everything in my power to let people know not to shop in his store again. I would've been right pissed, and one or both of them would've been hurt pretty goddamn bad. Realistically, someone asks me "ooh, what'd you find?" I usually am like "nothing that concerns you" and hid everything from his line of sight, and waited until he left before paying. I actually rarely go to the counter unless nobody's there anyway, I'm weird like that

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Jan 30, 2011 at 3:43:55 AM
Dennis (70)
(Dennis ) < Kraid Killer >
Netherlands
This would had my blood boil. Sounds like a nasty frustrated jealous turd who should`ve been bitchslapped. Also you should never buy in that store again. A good manager would have taken its loss and learned a lesson.

Jan 30, 2011 at 3:44:00 AM
Mr.Nintendo (383)
(el- rocko) < King Solomon >
Alaska
i would havce told him he now gets to cough up the extra cash, what a piece of shit.

Gameboy Pirates "IS" My Thing

DONATE ALL SMB/DH CARTS TO PMA

DONATE ALL JURASSIC PARK CARTS TO KEVBOT  NOW ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:41:02 AM
pseudonym (39)
(Jack N.) < Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
That would make my blood boil too. What an ass to ruin your find like that.

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:48:29 AM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
I'm stunned to no end you didn't cold cock that fat bastard right in the mouth for that. I am not 100% certain for myself, but I'm pretty sure I would have popped the bastard, mouthed off crap like 'thanks asshole' and let it roll from there. Like you, the store manager to me would in that place be a dishonorable jerk not honoring the printed price on the game bin because of that blubbery turd so I would have even at $40 easily left the games there too, or likely been tossed out for knocking out tubby. And like wiz said, if he wouldn't honor the price I'd make it a mission to get word around to not shop there too.

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:27:49 AM
RetroBasement (142)
(I read PM's !) < King Solomon >
Ohio
wow dude that really sucks bad, i would have called him a Hambeast or rotundo the immense

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:19:42 AM
Retrogradio (0)
New York
Originally posted by: Krunch

Wow, that story has me thoroughly pissed off. How old was the Blabbermouth?

I can't say for sure but he had a fledgling neckbeard going on, so I'm assuming in the range of 17 to 20 years old.

As for the manager and the store, I rarely went back after that incident. If there was a game that I couldn't find anywhere else and didn't want to wait 3-7 days for mail order, I'd go back. I told a bunch of my friends about the screwjob and they agreed the manager was a dillhole for pulling that but I doubt it swayed their shopping decisions. It didn't happen to them and they weren't NES collectors, so they were used to payinig full price for whatever they wanted anyhow.

It's like, we all know someone who's had a horrible Wal-Mart experience but when we need vitamins, shampoo and dashboard cleaner, we don't really care who else got screwed.

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:23:29 AM
Penguin (239)
(Justin AKA Penguin) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Man that sucks, too bad you don't have a law like we do, in Florida if an item is marked with a price and the seller tries to change it when you are purchasing it, it is illegal.

Looking for Black cartridge Color Dreams games, last 3 I need:  Metal Fighter, Moon Ranger, Baby Boomer.  Please contact me if you have any of these!

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:25:11 AM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
I'd of broke that jaw more then once. He should have waited until the sale was done and then talked with you about how good of a find you made. And anyone that knows what rare games are rare shouldn't be playing the freaking demo station anyway, fatass. When I get in a store, I look over the games first, and THEN I play the demos. >.<

Sad story, sorry you ran into a smart idiot.

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:07:20 PM
vern77777 (35)
(8==o------ (.)(.)) < Kraid Killer >
Illinois
I would've punched the fatass, then the manager, slapped the 6 dollars on the counter, then walked out with the games.

Looking for test carts...

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:23:28 PM
firebrand (45)
(Alex ) < Meka Chicken >
Tennessee
That's really stupid. It's like going to Gamestop and they have one copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops, and you want it really bad and when you go to check out. He's bumps the price up to $70. If I was in a situation like that I would of told the guy he either gets $6 or a few choice words.

Jan 31, 2011 at 10:34:49 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: rokubungi

on a deal this good I'll throw in a few junk titles as camouflage. .

This exactly.   If you cherry pick like that, people may look things up.  The internet is everywhere, dude...

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:18:43 PM
Dinoellis (58)
(Dino Ellis) < Lolo Lord >
California
^ Agreed. I would have constructed a protective shield of Ice Hockeys and Karnovs and sandwiched those two gems in the middle.

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:52:58 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
That's a lot of pent up rage for a two year old story! Sorry about your luck though, that sucks.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:12:36 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Originally posted by: rokubungi

on a deal this good I'll throw in a few junk titles as camouflage. .

This exactly.   If you cherry pick like that, people may look things up.  The internet is everywhere, dude...

lol yup ....before i worked where i do now, i shopped there regularly. I found a little samson for 5 bucks. We have a buy 2 get one 1 free thing. So i got two other games along with it.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:48:42 PM
Drippy (87)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
What an asshole, I bet his life is miserable anyways.

Feb 1, 2011 at 5:22:42 PM
Eb69 (83)
(Danny Buckles) < Meka Chicken >
Tennessee
Didn't read all this thread, but that store owner didn't have a leg to stand on. He had them marked at $3 a piece, he HAS to sell them at that price. BBB would have a field day with that.

Who is this PPG punk and why is his initials on every 3rd cart I find!?!