Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Conker's Twelve Tales and Dinosaur Planet protos Do they really exist?

Sep 14, 2012 at 8:08:41 PM
takeshi (13)
(Takeshi C) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
^ games are a lot more fun sitting in your closet in a box never seeing the light of day and being used as internet bragging points *eyeroll*

-------------------------
currently translating Legend of the River King for Famicom

Edited: 09/14/2012 at 11:06 PM by takeshi

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:58:47 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
The best way to preserve a game is to allow it to be copied gazillions of times on the internet. What's more important to these big time proto collectors? The archiving of a long lost masterpiece from one of the most talented game companies ever? Or the resale value of the cartridge that houses said game?

Yes, DreamTR has said before that proto buyers shouldn't have to give up the value of their proto for a bunch of entitled bums on the internet, but it is a very, very short-sighted view of things in the long run. It would be a tragedy for Dinosaur Planet (and many others) to disappear into the mists of time, just because the collector who owned that cartridge only cared about himself.

There's a reason museums and archiving efforts exist...

Sep 15, 2012 at 1:37:41 PM
takeshi (13)
(Takeshi C) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
I facepalm pretty hard when I see 'collectors' showing off their protos with exposed EPROM windows all over the place

currently translating Legend of the River King for Famicom

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:17:59 AM
KBcollector (43)

(Josh S) < Lolo Lord >
Kentucky
Looks awesome, thanks for the video.

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:25:41 AM
olivieryuyu (0)

(olivier oli) < Cherub >
United States
Originally posted by: DreamTR

Originally posted by: Guntz

Well at the moment, the N64 proto scene is very secluded and barely public. And from the looks of things, barely any games have been dumped and publicly released (maybe some have been dumped for personal use). In comparison, the NES proto scene is very well known and tons of games have been publicly released.

What I'm waiting for, is when N64 protos become popular enough to see public releases. After that, maybe repro carts (if those are even possible). It's a little hard to enjoy something when only a few people even know about or participate in it...

And I would go and say there's a lot less animosity in the N64 scene because of it honestly....you have people in the NES scene (not talking about myself) that go through great lengths to get these dumped and people want more or just don't care or badmouth them or expect things to be given to them at a moment's notice...they've made it a point to keep it open for people that are trustworthy. Not saying I agree with their view but I am just pointing this out because it looks like that has something to do with it..

This "interest" in protos for N64 is because these are genuine collectors of the proto carts whereas for the NES how many "true" proto collectors do you have nowadays besides Matt, Mark, and myself? A handful? That's the problem. Everyone wants releases but no one collects the things anymore these days for the NES but N64 there are definitely more prototype collectors.

Totally agree with you on that, N64 collectors are usually quite cool people ... I guess in few years ahead it won't be anymore, i can see it coming already

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:00:55 AM
YogurtStorm (15)
(Conker's BFF) < Meka Chicken >
Quebec
Bump for this thread, these games need to be uncovered!

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:09:53 AM
nesworld (45)
(Martin Nielsen) < Meka Chicken >
Denmark
honestly, with the current lack of interest in compensating collectors for the devalue of their purchases, there's no chance of these ever seeing the light of day.

Twelve Tales exists, not too sure about Dinosaur Planet.

Longtime webmaster of nesworld.com 
Author of a near complete N64 release list http://www.nesworld.com/n64releaselist.php

N64 Wanted List:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Clayfighters 63 1/3: Sculptor's Cut (I)
StarCraft 64 (CIB) - PAL
Worms Armageddon (CIB) - NTSC
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Grey NFR Cart)

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:14:05 PM
YogurtStorm (15)
Quebec
I think the problem is we dont know WHERE or WHO this person is. There is there in itself the biggest issue, we dont know what he wants IF he even has the slightest desire to either share the ROM at a price or even plain SELL his copy to best offer

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:25:16 PM
nesworld (45)
(Martin Nielsen) < Meka Chicken >
Denmark
you do know that if you want a chance at Twelve Tales it's probably $20k or something like that now... IF you can locate that one copy that is known to exist.

Longtime webmaster of nesworld.com 
Author of a near complete N64 release list http://www.nesworld.com/n64releaselist.php

N64 Wanted List:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Clayfighters 63 1/3: Sculptor's Cut (I)
StarCraft 64 (CIB) - PAL
Worms Armageddon (CIB) - NTSC
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Grey NFR Cart)

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:38:25 PM
YogurtStorm (15)
Quebec
That's around what I'd expect to pay, indeed, since the last 15 K bounty led nowhere.

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:35:03 AM
introless (24)
(random guy) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Originally posted by: nesworld

honestly, with the current lack of interest in compensating collectors for the devalue of their purchases, there's no chance of these ever seeing the light of day.

Twelve Tales exists, not too sure about Dinosaur Planet.
That's a pretty cynical way of looking at things. What are you using as an example? Let my try to figure this out..

In recent memory there was that Resident Evil for GBC that met its $2,000 goal. No lack of interest there, though things of course take time. Besides that, I can't really recall anything that's too big that you can use as comparison. You're Superman proto? I'm all for preservation as much as the next person, but considering that's considered one of the worst games ever, having a proto won't exactly have people clamoring for a release. Of course anything early is great and it's always appreciated seeing owners putting their stuff like that out there.

What else do we have, those Borman's releases which are somewhat early versions of Bas Fur Day, and Perfect Dark which is practically final. Mostly the same for the Conker's actually, on the outside anyway.

I don't want to outright bash any of these, but the way I see it, if you're talking about an unreleased game, you should only use fundraisers of other completely unreleased games as examples of how well received such a fundraiser would go. Most fundraisers are always for "earlier" versions of released games, sometimes more often than not just something with a few differences that don't matter all that much. It just doesn't compare to an unreleased game. Something completely unreleased would likely get more attention. And besides the RE GBC I can't really come up with anything recently that would be a good example of how such a fundraiser would go.

Anyway, I just saw this old video on Nintendo's old E3 98 report page.

http://web.archive.org/web/199805...

Too lazy to check if it's already been out there on Youtube or not, but at least it gives an excuse to bump this.

BTW, Dinosaur Planet's out there for sure, drx told me once he tracked it down for someone who wanted it, only for the person to disappear suddenly. Guess they didn't want it bad enough. Who knows what happened to that one. Though I would much prefer Conker, since at least DP is practically Starfox Adventure. Meanwhile Bad Fur day is nothing like Twelve Tales, so, well, that's a million times more interesting to me anyway.

I'm put down at least $1,000 for a fundraiser for Conker. I can imagine if it were $20,000, there must be some other nuts that would go somewhat far in contributing. Combine that with some here-and-there donations from other people, and I think it would possibly work out. Then again, that's really only a fair price for a physical purchase of the cart. Trying to sell a ROM at $20,000? Forget it. Something as high-profile as this, if I had the cart I'd just make a personal dump for myself and then sell the cart so hopefully someone else makes a dump.

Edited: 03/07/2013 at 05:38 AM by introless

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:54:14 PM
standigz (1)

(Chaz Gidnats) < El Ripper >
New Jersey
I wanat to believe that protos exist were dumped and will be leaked someday...

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:21:36 AM
theclaw (78)
(Lum Fan) < Lolo Lord >
Washington
Even a text-only dump might be interesting.

Heck final US Starfox actually implemented the Japanese script.

This is a signature-tcha!

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:39:43 PM
introless (24)
(random guy) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Someone found a hidden image from Twelve Tales inside Bad Fur Day.

http://www.rarewarecentral.com/fo...

Neat stuff still is being found after all this time.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:34:47 PM
i2a2n2 (39)
(Ian B.) < Kraid Killer >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Nesboy43

Of course there are multiple versions of these 2 revised rare games, and there might be a chance someone has gotten their hands on it but they are definitely not online. Dinosaur Planet would've been a way better game than Star Fox Adventures imo, are there any pics of that binder?

Just took 2 pretty much a planned marketing stratagey with near complete storyline as well as voice actor information and character profiles

My NWC High Score 661 950  Jan 19th 2010

---------Wanted: SNES PROTOTYPES !!! PM Me-----------

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:47:04 AM
Wukong (7)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Steven Lee) < Eggplant Wizard >
British Columbia
Nice item.

Searching for CIB Watermelon, CIB Smoke, CIB Jungle(Not DK Version), CIB Daiei Hawks, CIB Jusco and CIB Gold(US/CAN) [PENDING]. Will buy just the boxes too.

Getting there