Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Megaman Saves Christmas!" Phase 1- 0% Starting Over! But I'm working on it again!

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:29:28 PM
EoTN (9)
(Eskimo Of The Night) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
<span 10px;"="">
So, here's the gist of it: I started this up two weeks before Christmas last year, and I gave up two weeks after Christmas. BUT the project is not dead! I lost all of my files, so I will be starting over. I'll hopefully be able to stick to it this time... We'll see. So, onward!

This is the original OP, for those of you who wondered:

Inspired by this thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess......

I have decided to actually make the game being discussed... more or less. So many great ideas, so little time... and room...

Regardless, I will be taking several of the ideas for the robot masters, and implementing them as well as I can into the game. In addition, I will be giving the entire game a winter/Christmas theme.

I realize that Christmas is right around the corner, and aim to have this project completed by then. However, me being me, this is not likely. So, I will be working on the game in simple chunks to have a fully playable version of it by Christmas day.

Here are my planned phases:

Phase 1: All Robot masters will be redesigned with a Christmas theme.

Phase 2: Text will be edited to reflect the new style and story.

Phase 3: Proto/Wily bosses will be redesigned

Phase 4: Levels will be edited to be fresh, and maintain the current approximate difficulty. (Newer, not harder)

Phase 5: Level graphics will be changed to reflect the theme.

Phase 6: I'll change the cutscenes

Phase 7: I'll replace the music with 8 bit versions of Christmas songs!

So, yeah! I'll be working on this over the next two and a half weeks, and I'll post with updates and whatnot. I'll also make a new version available when each phase is complete. So, wish me luck! And may the force be with you!

Edited: 07/21/2014 at 09:17 PM by EoTN

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:32:27 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Fuck yeah!

-------------------------

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:24:24 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Originally posted by: RegularGuyGamer

Fuck yeah!

This is going to be better than Kiss Saves Santa!  If you need any ideas, Power Bars or pizza or anything else let me know, I'll be glad to help out in the planning phase, I know nothing about coding unfortunately.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:33:31 PM
Clyde The Jackal (172)
(My Name is Chris) < Kraid Killer >
New York
Sounds fun! Can't wait to try it!

Butts Make Farts.

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:11:55 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Subbed! Rudolph should definitely be a possible weapon!

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:41:36 PM
Clyde The Jackal (172)
(My Name is Chris) < Kraid Killer >
New York
Originally posted by: Redivivus

Rudolph would have to be Rush.

Butts Make Farts.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:20:30 AM
EoTN (9)
Texas
Originally posted by: Clyde The Jackal

Originally posted by: Redivivus

Rudolph would have to be Rush.

Agreed. I was trying earlier to make him a Robot Master... it's harder than it sounds. You just can't fit a quadroped into a bipedal form without losing the essence of the character.

Also, small update. Stone man will now be Ginger Man (Gingerbread is too long). I'm about half done with his new sprite.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:38:43 AM
Space Jockey (145)
Washington
in MM6 Centaur Man was a centaur, four legs. Is it possible to copy that sprite and move it to the MM5 rom, then just change colors or what not?

On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:17:04 AM
TrekMD (13)
(Eugenio ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
Very cool!

Going to the final frontier, gaming....

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:46:47 AM
Lance (0)
(Lance ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
What made you decide to hack Megaman 5 instead of say 2 or 4?

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:42:44 PM
Hoskat (11)
(Matt Hosley) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
This greatly interests me.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:48:46 PM
EoTN (9)
Texas
Originally posted by: Lance

What made you decide to hack Megaman 5 instead of say 2 or 4?

Too many other hacks of those games already! Also, a basic story is already in place, where Protoman kidnaps Santa. Read all about it in the other thread linked in the OP.

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:52:14 PM
War Pig (185)
(Hellooooooooooooooo Midwest. Oh how I've missed u) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
Oh hell yeah. Id be in for one of these if you do make them available.

-Eric

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:00:42 PM
EoTN (9)
Texas
OK, update. I've finished the first new Robot Master, Ginger Man. Let me know what you think. Be brutally honest, I need any advice on how to improve this design.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:26:47 AM
tildius (20)
(Mike Skutt) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
I just imagined fighting Ginger Man, and all I could think of was "And that is the way the cookie crumbles" lol

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:59:03 AM
EoTN (9)
Texas
OK, Ginger Man fully implemented! One down, seven to go!

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:34:49 PM
EoTN (9)
Texas
Demo Video of Ginger Man:

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:38:08 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
Can't wait to play this!

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:17:32 PM
Space Jockey (145)
Washington
He is shooting wads of ginger dough at you. Well done! Can't wait to see the others.

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:37:19 PM
EoTN (9)
Texas
OK, Starting to plan out what to do with the other bosses:

I'm thinking Snow Man for Crystal Man, because of the balls he throws. Could be snow balls bouncing around?

For Charge Man, I'm still trying to decide if I should go for Rudolph. Otherwise, I was thinking about maybe keeping the train motif and turning him into the Polar Express.

I'm going to try to fit Robot Santa (from Futurama) into Napalm Man. Should work out. Grenades and guns and stuff.

Wave Man will become Candy Cane Man. He'll shoot a candy cane instead of a trident, and a candy cane will pop up instead of a water jet.

Star Man will become Christmas Tree Man. He'll be a tree with ornaments circling him. He'll even still have a star on top!

The verdict's still out on Gyro Man. I'll figure something out. Maybe drummer Man, throws drumsticks while flying? IDK.

I... I don't even know what to do to Gravity man. I can't find anything Christmas-y that can flip Gravity.... Help me out guys!

OK, critique me. What do you want, and what don't you want? Bear in mind that I cannot do ASM hacking. That's just too much for now. However, basic Hex and palette changes are possible for me to change, as are graphics. With that in mind, advise me.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:57:44 PM
Space Jockey (145)
Washington
Could Gravity Man have something to do with a sleigh? Maybe make him a sleigh boss or something since it does fly around. That's about the only anti-gravity thing I can think of related to Christmas. The shots he shoots are standard white energy pellets, you could change those into tiny Christmas presents that he shoots at you instead. Gyro Man I'd think possibly could be a toy helicopter? I'm really trying to think about what to do with him. A giant wind machine robot that blows snow? It's a stretch I know. Need some ideas for the Wily Castle bosses as well?

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:39:23 PM
EoTN (9)
Texas
Yeah, they're tough to reconfigure. I'm not too sure about the first one, the one with the shooting platforms. Maybe a Christmas present sorting machine.. The second one, I'll try to make it like a giant angel surrounded by a halo. Or since it's round, maybe a wreath monster. Something like that. I'm going to try to do the first Wily Machine like an upside down menorah (assuming that's not actually offensive to Jewish culture). I'm going to try to do the second wily Machine like a sleigh with a huge sack of presents, and the last saucer like a snow globe. Nothing final yet, but if you have any other ideas, don't hesitate to share 'em here!

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:53:37 PM
AJ_the_gym_leader (6)

(AJ Lewandoski) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan
First of all everything looks really cool. All the robot masters sound great. I wouldn't go too Futurama inspired on Santa Man you still want it to be unique but the idea is cool.

As for Gyro Man I know this is Mega Man saves CHRISTMAS, but lets throw in something different. Like you could make him Dreidel Man, Hanukkah needs a little representation and it fits the spinning theme.

For Gravity Man I'd say Jesus Man because he can perform miracles, but I could see people being offended, so my next best idea would be Present Man he could shoot bows or smaller presents. No rationale behind the theme other than maybe you shake and flip your presents around to guess what's inside.

With other things I'd like to see, I don't know if your doing background swaps but some Christmas-ier backgrounds would be nice and I think the enemies should get new sprites too like the the chicken from Gyro Mans stage should be a penguin (just one example) and I think one of the coolest things you could do would be add 8-bit Christmas music remixes to the levels to make it even more festive.

I may just be wishfully thinking, and I don't want to put to much of a workload on you because saying ideas and doing them are two different things. I can come up with ideas all day but in the end you're the one who's implementing them so in the end it falls on your discretion.

I hope you liked some of my ideas though and maybe they'll help with some inspiration at the very least.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:56:55 PM
ProtoScott (26)
(Mr. SpaceBeard) < Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
I figured Napalm Man would be something related to Christmas Lights because his hands already look like tree lights to me.

As far as Gravity Man goes you could just make him like elf man or something, and write off the gravity switching as him being magical. He jumps from floor to ceiling throwing toys at you.

I got nothin on Gyro Man though

Hey you!! Got some Mega Man games??? Wanna sell 'em???

Well Click here ----> http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

If it isn't checked off PM me!!

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:56:08 AM
Nesmaster (57)
(Trolling Thunder ) < El Ripper >
Alberta
For Gyro, Mistletoe or Wreath Man. His projectile gyro kinda looks like either.

The gyro on his helmet would make a nice wreath.

Gravity Man... Wish Man? Miracle Man? Name his weapon Christmas Spirit. (C. Spirit)

Any plans for Megaman himself? Red and green (or red and white) palette swap, maybe a santa hat if that's possible? Mega buster that fires (colored) christmas ornaments/lights?

Rush obviously needs to be Rudolph... "You got Rudolph Jet."

Edited: 12/11/2013 at 06:19 AM by Nesmaster