Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

May's e-zine

May 20, 2010 at 11:52:50 PM
atlien003 (15)

(General Aldo) < Crack Trooper >
United States
I guess I missed something, but where is May's e-zine? Did NA decide to stop putting one out?

May 21, 2010 at 12:02:45 AM
TheNEScollector (0)
(Brian Wagner) < Lolo Lord >
Iowa
no, it's never on time

-------------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNEScollector You'll love it!

May 21, 2010 at 12:05:17 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Except the April Fools one, that was on time

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

May 21, 2010 at 12:16:26 AM
Zoso471 (13)
(--Anthony --) < El Ripper >
Ontario
may is almost over...

May 21, 2010 at 12:17:32 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Maybe Dan just didn't have enough submissions for a May issue? Could mean a bigger June issue...

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

May 21, 2010 at 12:18:32 AM
RetroBasement (142)
(I read PM's !) < King Solomon >
Ohio
its alot of work to do it im sure, itl happen when it happens.

May 21, 2010 at 1:32:13 AM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Something to look forward to...

I'm guessing last day

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

May 21, 2010 at 1:38:46 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
The thing is, this has happened once before I believe, shortly after the e-zine launched. Basically, there wasn't enough submissions to put together a quality e-zine, so it was scrapped for that month. The following month, however, had enough contributions to put out two or three issues. If anything, it'll probably get a few more people writing for the e-zine now, for fear that we'll lose it entirely.

May 21, 2010 at 2:30:26 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Ahh, to not have to worry about these threads anymore. Life is good.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

May 21, 2010 at 2:49:31 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
There were barely enough submissions for May, it's June I'm really worried about. I've been promising stuff to Alex for weeks now and it looks like this weekend we're both finally on track to get the work done finally.

We both need your help to keep the Zine alive though. When I say we have no articles for June, I really mean it, we have nothing. Nothing shelved, nothing coming down the pipeline...

...the e-Zine is all of you. I can write an article about variants here and there but without the rest of you, it's just a blog. Late submissions are a problem because they make the Zine late, but at least we get there in the end.

I know it's tough times with finals, job changes and whatever for the Summer. But if you've been toying with any ideas for an article, please PM me and voice them now. Thanks guys.

May 21, 2010 at 2:50:40 PM
NESHomebrew (21)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: mewithoutYou52

Ahh, to not have to worry about these threads anymore. Life is good.

Now you can work on more important things... like LSL!

May 21, 2010 at 2:59:46 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
I've been toying with a few, but nothing I've actually started working on. I could get going on something, but I can't promise it'll be ready in time for the June issue. Considering the circumstances however, I'll see what I can do.

May 21, 2010 at 4:45:04 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
I'm going to have one for June talking about newsletters (ie, Game Time News, etc).

May 21, 2010 at 5:15:08 PM
Aquanistic (25)
(: Alex :) < El Ripper >
United States
I'm planning my first real article for June. We'll be working this weekend to get you the May issue, so look forward to it! It'll be hard with the release of Mario Galaxy 2, but that's how much I love NA

My FO / FT Thread

May 21, 2010 at 7:01:29 PM
NESHomebrew (21)
Saskatchewan
I wouldn't mind seeing some more profiles on forum members. It's always interesting seeing where collectors come from, what they do, etc. Maybe someone who isn't from the US or Canada.

May 21, 2010 at 8:25:18 PM
ulasamosa (280)
(James Ulizza) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: WhatULive4

I wouldn't mind seeing some more profiles on forum members. It's always interesting seeing where collectors come from, what they do, etc. Maybe someone who isn't from the US or Canada.

yea I like this feature too.  Id like it more if it were on me.....jk lol.  I'll have to think of a topic and try my hand at writing something for the e-zine and pray my terrible grammer wont get shot down lol.

May 22, 2010 at 5:03:12 AM
Aquanistic (25)
(: Alex :) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: ulasamosa

Originally posted by: WhatULive4

yea I like this feature too.  Id like it more if it were on me.....jk lol.  I'll have to think of a topic and try my hand at writing something for the e-zine and pray my terrible grammer wont get shot down lol.

That's what dangevin is for

My FO / FT Thread

May 22, 2010 at 8:20:59 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
^ Funny enough, my toughest jobs are never from English-speaking folks. We've had a few great articles from people who speak it as a second language, and parsing that kind of grammar is most difficult. It's not "their there they're" type mistakes, it's when entire sentences are structured in the syntax of their native language, but with English words. Totally worth doing, I love all articles...just a challenge, that's all.

May 22, 2010 at 11:10:24 AM
DestructoDisk (117)
(Timothy Patrick Vreeland) < King Solomon >
Nevada
Maybe if there were more dedicated sections, that people could write on every month we could get more guaranteed articles kicked out. If someone can't make their submission for that section for that month, they could post here, and someone else could fill in.

I was thinking of doing a section called "Pokemon Center", since that is one of Nintendo's hugest brands, but we hardly ever hear about it on NA. I have to do more research though, as I am only familiar with the early years, and the original 150.

Edited: 05/22/2010 at 11:11 AM by DestructoDisk

May 22, 2010 at 12:21:40 PM
NESHomebrew (21)
Saskatchewan
Really? Pokemon... I think most of the collectors here (if I'm not mistaken) are a bit older than the Pokemon generation. I'm almost certain I would skip over that section (no offense). Maybe one article defining the different games in the series would be ok.

I do like the idea of having dedicated sections. Like an article dedicated to hardware, one for homebrews, a comic, profiles, noteable auction spotlight, the latest prototype news (since there seems to be a lot of it lately), and then the additional articles from other readers.

If we can get people focused on a direction to write about, then more ideas can be generated. Instead of "I should write an article for the ezine, but what should I write about", it would be "I should write a homebrew article, which homebrews are available/being worked on that people would find interesting".

May 22, 2010 at 1:06:29 PM
DestructoDisk (117)
Nevada
Well this is NintendoAge. We are about everything Nintendo. Lately I have been seeing a lot of members into N64 an later era stuff. People consider the Virtual Boy retro from 1995, Pokemon was 1998, not much difference.

Also I grew up in the NES era.. the beginning, and was not too old for the Pokemon era. I was born in 84 (so I was 14 at the time of Pokemon), so I don't see the logic of people being too old. Yeah some of us got the NES when they were already 12, and it was just released. I got mine in 89 when I was 5, and I was right in the heart of the era.

Yeah though, I think dedicated section will bring more focus, and get more done. Maybe even make a private topic for writers, and list the sections of the magazine. Writers can call there spots a couple months in advance or something.

Edited: 05/22/2010 at 01:12 PM by DestructoDisk

May 22, 2010 at 1:53:15 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Not for nothing, but they're really good games (Pokemon). They're what I'd recommend as any kid's first RPG, period. I've played through Ruby/Sapphire three times. I'm not a Pokemaniac, but I appreciate them. I was born in 77, BTW.

May 22, 2010 at 2:06:51 PM
NESHomebrew (21)
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: dangevin

Not for nothing, but they're really good games (Pokemon). They're what I'd recommend as any kid's first RPG, period. I've played through Ruby/Sapphire three times. I'm not a Pokemaniac, but I appreciate them. I was born in 77, BTW.

Ok fine, it's not horrible but once they expanded to so many pokemon I think they lost the fun of it. I'm sure most people could name most of the originals, but now they are up to what, 500+? Maybe because I've only played them in an emulator. Might have to buy a retrovision and give it a sporting chance.

May 22, 2010 at 2:16:27 PM
DestructoDisk (117)
Nevada
I would just skip ahead to Leaf Green, or Heart Gold. With green you get to play the original games, almost exactly as they were, except if you end up liking the game, you can transfer your Pokemon to the newer games. With Heart Gold, you get most of the original Pokemon, and everything the new games have to offer.

Most of the nostalgia in Pokemon, comes from the multi-player aspect. Though Red and Blue are still solid stand alone games.

May 22, 2010 at 2:20:34 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Hey Dan, Ive got a year on you haha (1976, god that looks old...) and I enjoyed playing the Pokemon games with my boy. We played everything the N64 had to offer.