Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What is this I don't even..... SNES LifeCycle - "Extertainment" Mountain Bike Warrior - Possible Proto

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:03:01 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Sticky

Originally posted by: buyatari2

Originally posted by: Ic3M4n

This just makes me wonder if it could be the stadium events of the super nes. However mount bike rally is already rare as hell and a pre-release of that would be crazy. What you should do is see the gameplay and compare it to the gameplay of mountain bike rally and see if they are the same just as world class track meet is to stadium events.

Welp then let's just assume it is. =D

You will have an uphill battle with that one.

No one else with a complete SNES set has this so you will have to fight public opinion. For that reason alone, it is automatically a "prototype" to everyone else.

Was sarcasm.

I think Adam knew that, but he does bring up a valid point.  Check any of the Wally Bear AGCI threads, Chiller Sharedata threads, or Outback Joey threads.  If a game is amazingly rare/expensive and is discovered or becomes high profile AFTER people have completed their sets, there is usually a huge push back to not include it in the sets.

Back to the topic, very cool pics!  It looks to me like prototype for a few reasons, but most notably that the chips are hand labeled and they have a date applied to them.  When I say prototype, I use it as a blanket term for anything pre-production (samples, demos, review copies, betas, alphas, etc.), so take that for what it's worth.

Many companies had their company logo on their stickers for protos, so that certainly could be the case here.  How does the label stack up against labels of retail SNES games?

Very cool game and certainly not going to be common, thanks so much for sharing!

-------------------------

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:09:46 PM
Sticky (185)
(Sn0 Bro) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

I think Adam knew that, but he does bring up a valid point.  Check any of the Wally Bear AGCI threads, Chiller Sharedata threads, or Outback Joey threads.  If a game is amazingly rare/expensive and is discovered or becomes high profile AFTER people have completed their sets, there is usually a huge push back to not include it in the sets.

Back to the topic, very cool pics!  It looks to me like prototype for a few reasons, but most notably that the chips are hand labeled and they have a date applied to them.  When I say prototype, I use it as a blanket term for anything pre-production (samples, demos, review copies, betas, alphas, etc.), so take that for what it's worth.

Many companies had their company logo on their stickers for protos, so that certainly could be the case here.  How does the label stack up against labels of retail SNES games?

Very cool game and certainly not going to be common, thanks so much for sharing!.

Had to state it - wouldn't want things getting out of hand / taken the wrong way.

Mark thanks for the input - as for the label it's not printed on gloss paper like a regular Snes / NES label, but rather a plain matte squared off label - I think you're right on the blanket term prototype, huge chip and man is this cart heavy!

As far as gameplay goes, did you get a chance to look at the boot screen? It looks very similar to mountain bike rally, but instead it's mountain bike warrior - different lifecycle screen, etc.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has seen anything similar possibly in a rom or international version of the game. All input is appreciated - this has become rather exciting for me =D

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:13:39 AM
smokinjoe24 (147)
(P Fen) < Bowser >
United States
Not to be a nag, but if you get a sec, post a TV shot of the opening screen. That would be cool to see if it is named Mountain Bike Warrior.

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:22:31 AM
BalloonFight (233)
(Kyle Allen) < Ridley Wrangler >
California
Been collecting SNES since 2003. I've never seen or heard of this before.

Always looking for early issues of these magazines: GameFan, Tips and Tricks, Electronic Gaming Monthly.
Don't be afraid to send me a PM if you have any of these. I would love to give you some games for your magazines. :)

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:01:24 AM
tekfox212800 (37)
(Stephen Pierson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Arizona
Originally posted by: smokinjoe24

Not to be a nag, but if you get a sec, post a TV shot of the opening screen. That would be cool to see if it is named Mountain Bike Warrior.

This game in an amazing find.  Where did you find it?

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:19:18 AM
NintendoTwizer (172)
(Aaron N) < King Solomon >
Wyoming
Hmm... odd, just when you think you've seen it all. Reminds me of Kellogg's Beach Volleyball for the NES in strangeness.
http://www.nintendoage.com/index....

Edited: 09/21/2011 at 01:21 AM by NintendoTwizer

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:48:52 AM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States

Originally posted by: MrMark0673

Very cool game and certainly not going to be common, thanks so much for sharing!.

Had to state it - wouldn't want things getting out of hand / taken the wrong way.

Mark thanks for the input - as for the label it's not printed on gloss paper like a regular Snes / NES label, but rather a plain matte squared off label - I think you're right on the blanket term prototype, huge chip and man is this cart heavy!

As far as gameplay goes, did you get a chance to look at the boot screen? It looks very similar to mountain bike rally, but instead it's mountain bike warrior - different lifecycle screen, etc.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has seen anything similar possibly in a rom or international version of the game. All input is appreciated - this has become rather exciting for me =D

My point was that no matter what was discovered it wouldn't carry much weight towards the masses in adding a new title to the SNES library. It is like adding a new book to the bible or an amendment to the constitution. For better or for worse people are accustomed to things just the way they are and you won't get a change without a fight on your hands.

Finds like this are awesome and I guess it bothers me when people automatically attach the prototype label when they see something new. Some refuse to be interested in the origin of such games on this basis alone. Perhaps playing devil's advocate a bit but I'd like to see people think these things out for themselves instead of just checking it against a list that they didn't write. The hobby is so much more interesting if each game is looked at individually instead of lumping them into a category.

I'm guilty of it myself as I lose interest in any game not sold in the USA. It was an early self defense mechanism used to keep my spending to a minimum. A goal that has failed horribly.

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:15:33 AM
Blue Ember (59)
(Jesse Thorn) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
Here is a pic of the normal cart, yours is definitely a prototype of some kind by the looks of it. Awesome find man!

Edited: 09/21/2011 at 04:20 AM by Blue Ember

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:03:35 AM
Sticky (185)
United States
Originally posted by: tekfox212800

Originally posted by: smokinjoe24

This game in an amazing find.  Where did you find it?

At my one of my resale shops on my route, Chicagoland. Don't know if Lifecycle or anything is based around the midwest - It's something I'll have to look into.

Now...... time to find a bike and play this bad boy !

Edited: 09/21/2011 at 08:05 AM by Sticky

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:36:34 AM
Ic3M4n (16)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(I B GONE) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Ok I'm no expert by far on protos or the diff. between a stadium events board anda wctm. I did a quick google search for proto and none of them have real labels, from what I see. I see a real game w/ a real label here.

So those who believe it is a proto explain why and explain why this clearly has a real label and not something w/typing on it.

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:29:13 AM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California

Ok I'm no expert by far on protos or the diff. between a stadium events board anda wctm. I did a quick google search for proto and none of them have real labels, from what I see. I see a real game w/ a real label here.

So those who believe it is a proto explain why and explain why this clearly has a real label and not something w/typing on it.

eproms instead of mask roms. see blue ember's pics for comparison
(apparently) preproduction label. see above
also, the title of the game is different when it's running. that's kind of a biggie.

eproms are not a dead giveaway as some released games are known to use them. I don't see a link to the other running thread yet 

That guy's copy has eproms and a label that looks very nearly the same as blue ember's.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:44:51 AM
Ic3M4n (16)
New York
Actually the title is not a biggie when you compare stadium events to wctm, thats what I was getting at. If the gameplay is the same, as mountain bike rally. What determines whether it is a proto compared to an actual release.

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:51:51 AM
Lincoln (138)
California

Actually the title is not a biggie when you compare stadium events to wctm, thats what I was getting at. If the gameplay is the same, as mountain bike rally. What determines whether it is a proto compared to an actual release.

stadium events and wctm were released by different companies. This cart and MBR are both apparently from Ex(t)ertainment. I don't recall another instance where a company changed a released game that significantly between print runs.

There's probably nothing here that is going to clearly define this as a proto, but consider the overall picture and that seems like the most reasonable conclusion.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:56:38 AM
Ic3M4n (16)
New York
I gotcha, it's probably a proto w/ a nice label.

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:24:39 AM
p33jay (55)
(Allen (PJ) The Awesome) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I don't know much about protos granted, and I'm new to collecting compared to most of you.
But in the interest of debate, why does this automatically get called a proto. It could be a title change for some internal company reason he could simply have the full game under another name that never made it to market. It wouldn't be the first time a company changed their minds after a game was completed and altered things before bringing it to market.

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:30:35 AM
Lincoln (138)
California
Originally posted by: p33jay

I don't know much about protos granted, and I'm new to collecting compared to most of you.
But in the interest of debate, why does this automatically get called a proto. It could be a title change for some internal company reason he could simply have the full game under another name that never made it to market. It wouldn't be the first time a company changed their minds after a game was completed and altered things before bringing it to market.

did you not read the 5 posts immediately above yours? 

I'm really not trying to be a dick, but come on. we just covered this.

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:39:15 AM
p33jay (55)
New Jersey
No I read them. Im not formulating my thoughts properly. Its early. What I'm trying to say is if eproms do make it into some finished games, and this obviously has a label, why are we still slapping proto on it when its still inconclusive? I mean yes theres a high probability its a proto, but shouldnt we wait til he plays it and finds more info

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:49:51 AM
Lincoln (138)
California
Originally posted by: p33jay

No I read them. Im not formulating my thoughts properly. Its early. What I'm trying to say is if eproms do make it into some finished games, and this obviously has a label, why are we still slapping proto on it when its still inconclusive? I mean yes theres a high probability its a proto, but shouldnt we wait til he plays it and finds more info

the label doesn't look anything like the label for the known release MBR cart.s. It looks much more like a simple preproduction label. OP has already shown that the game is different at the title screen. 

It's not that it's automatically determined to be a proto/sample but it's a good fit. I don't know the details of Exertainment's licensing situation with Nintendo, but the only other situation I would consider possible is that this was one of the very first carts out the retail door before a licensing deal was in place. That strikes me as really unlikely, but I would accept that if someone can provide some evidence to agree with that.

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:02:18 AM
p33jay (55)
New Jersey
Thats what I was trying to get at, sorta. Idk. Im a new student trying to wrap his mind around something the rest of the class learned years ago. I agree its highly unlikely and its possible we may never know. Finding out the answers could be impossible or take years. So I guess we wait, maybe do some digging into the company at best.

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:28:47 PM
Sticky (185)
United States

Edited: 09/22/2011 at 12:30 PM by Sticky

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:45:29 PM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
Definitely a proto/pre-production sample. Lifefitness was based in Franklin Park, IL, so finding it in the Chicago area makes sense. Nice piece, never seen one.

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:25:49 PM
tekfox212800 (37)
(Stephen Pierson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Arizona
maybe a trade show prototype? To show off the bike and cart at a conference of some sort. They would put a nice label on it for that reason. Besides that I dunno why a proto would have a label.

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:36:18 PM
Sticky (185)
United States
Very cool information, thanks for the input.

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:49:00 PM
Ic3M4n (16)
New York
The main selling point on why I'll give it a proto title is the same company thing. In the situation w/stadium events, the game was released in a small retail quantity and then bought out and re-released under a diff name.

In this case it is highly unlikely it was ever released retail-wise or we would have seen the game before, not too mention it would be unlikely that the same company would release a game and then change the name in the middle of a retail release.

Plus the fact the board has the white labels from what I have seen of protos, shouts out proto.

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:01:06 PM
rorsch (55)
(Saint Marv) < Meka Chicken >
Tennessee
Very cool, I hope we can find some history on this. BTW, love the Doc Holiday

I Collect Games! A Video Game Addicts Community | http://icollect.games/ - Retro collectors and more! Reserve your name today!