Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Retro-Bit Re-releasing Metal Storm in a Collector's Edition Similar to Holy Diver

Sep 10 at 9:50:20 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: Koopa64

Originally posted by: quest4nes

Ill never understand a collector site that wants this overpriced crap. Get an Everdrive or collect the real thing. What is the point of a repro of an already released US game?

Not everyone is rich or wants to mess around with files on SD cards with a console that, as far as they're concerned, takes cartridges in a plug n play style.

Not rich but willing to unload 50-60 bucks on a single game repro.

Doesnt want to mess with SD files? Dear lord Ive now heard it all. Eye roll.

Im sorry this might offend someone, but You know why they arent rich? Because they buy shit like this.

Originally posted by: phart010

Originally posted by: quest4nes

Ill never understand a collector site that wants this overpriced crap. Get an Everdrive or collect the real thing. What is the point of a repro of an already released US game?
People want a legit official copy of the game but they can’t pay the price that the market is currently demanding for it. The IP owner gets license royalties for basically doing nothing. The publisher makes a little profit. It’s win-win-win for everyone.

If you look at how much it costs to put this stuff together on your own if you were to buy the cart parts and cardboard, and the time it takes to program and put it all together(if you value your time) it’s actually a pretty good value

Good value from a production end and a consumer end isnt the same lol. Just because its expensive to make doesnt mean its good value to buy a single 50-60 dollar repro of a game you can just play on an everdrive with the whole library for barely anymore cost. No its not a win win. Its a pretty hard lose for the suckers that buy repros of games that already exist. There are so many ways to play games now. That excuse is old and tired.

And cmon guys this thread was old as shit to quote someone from. We are talking about collecting here. There is no colletion value to reproductions of stuff that was released. If you arent a collector and just want to play games, there are so many cheap means to do so. This isnt a "legit" copy of a game. Its an overpriced reproduction. There is no point. Its to milk money from suckers. 

Have I been a sucker for some obvious fan service? Yes I have, but not for shit like this.

At this price youve already commited over half the cost of the actual game in the first place.

-------------------------

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 09/10/2019 at 10:04 PM by quest4nes

Sep 10 at 10:47:09 PM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopinator ) < El Ripper >
Canada

Im sorry this might offend someone, but You know why they arent rich? Because they buy shit like this.

$60 is still a lot less than $200 - $300 like what Metal Storm seems to go for now.

Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

Sep 10 at 11:00:10 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

$60 is still a lot less than $200 - $300 like what Metal Storm seems to go for now.

metal storm is about 100 dollar game. If you are talking about a cib lololol. This is a reproduction. You cant compare a reproduction to a vintage collectable complete in box game. There is no point in collecting fake crap. Either be a collector or dont. If you dont have the funds, spending them on crap like this is the reason why. Some things you want to do or want in life you just cant get. You cant have everything, and not having money and then substituting some reproduction metal storm isnt a wise purchase. Tons of ways to play the game for cheap if you just want to play games as well.

This price isnt that far off from just getting an everdrive. A couple of these and you could have just gotten one. Collect what you want, but its a collasal waste of funds. That apparently seem very limited from what Im hearing.

What is the difference in playing this reproduction than just getting another repro from ebay for 25 bucks or less? This isnt anymore legit. Just because they got the rights to make it, doesnt mean jack. The whole point of colleting to me is based on history. Again, Im not going to say you cant do it, but I sure can laugh my ass off about it.

Collecting to get to play games is just stupid to me. Playing the games, yeah its fine, but its silly to buy games like this because you want to play it.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 09/10/2019 at 11:10 PM by quest4nes

Sep 11 at 6:51:39 AM
tomkennes123 (0)

(tom kennes) < Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama

metal storm is about 100 dollar game. If you are talking about a cib lololol. This is a reproduction. You cant compare a reproduction to a vintage collectable complete in box game. There is no point in collecting fake crap. Either be a collector or dont. If you dont have the funds, spending them on crap like this is the reason why. Some things you want to do or want in life you just cant get. You cant have everything, and not having money and then substituting some reproduction metal storm isnt a wise purchase. Tons of ways to play the game for cheap if you just want to play games as well.

This price isnt that far off from just getting an everdrive. A couple of these and you could have just gotten one. Collect what you want, but its a collasal waste of funds. That apparently seem very limited from what Im hearing.

What is the difference in playing this reproduction than just getting another repro from ebay for 25 bucks or less? This isnt anymore legit. Just because they got the rights to make it, doesnt mean jack. The whole point of colleting to me is based on history. Again, Im not going to say you cant do it, but I sure can laugh my ass off about it.

Collecting to get to play games is just stupid to me. Playing the games, yeah its fine, but its silly to buy games like this because you want to play it.
I lIve in Europe and I don't share this opinion  . We never got a release so this is a perfect solution

Sep 11 at 8:13:17 AM
Indo (4)
(Chris ) < Crack Trooper >
New Jersey

Ill never understand a collector site that wants this overpriced crap

...................We are talking about collecting here..............
The only point of Nintendoage is collecting?  I must have missed that.  I thought it was about discussing Nintendo is general.  The history, the games, trading, meeting new people, as well as new developments (hardware, homebrew, etc.).

Maybe I only see the site the way I want to and just ignore the posts about the must have hang tag editions.  Where do I surrender my username and turn around where I came from? 

Deadeye.bit        Twitter       Instagram

Sep 11 at 9:14:41 AM
phart010 (8)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina

This rerelease isn’t officially licensed by Nintendo, but it IS officially licensed by the owner of the IP, Irem. So effectively it’s not in the same category as the $20 repro that you see on eBay. Because the game for sale on eBay is an illegal counterfeit reproduction. This one is totally legal, and done with full permission from Irem. And it is made with a level of quality that you will most likely not be able to find anywhere else. 

All of that for less than what you’d be able to do yourself, if you were even willing to buy infiniteneslives boards, cart shells, labels, box and printed materials, and know how on how to flash the cartridge.

You have to remember that not everyone in this community just wants to play the games. Some people also want to collect the games. And (not judging anyone here...) not everyone is willing to buy illegal counterfeits. This remake gives them a legal way to own a quality, CIB version of a great game for less price than they’d pay for a dirty cart only version of the original game

Edited: 09/11/2019 at 09:16 AM by phart010

Sep 11 at 1:00:18 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: phart010

This rerelease isn’t officially licensed by Nintendo, but it IS officially licensed by the owner of the IP, Irem. So effectively it’s not in the same category as the $20 repro that you see on eBay. Because the game for sale on eBay is an illegal counterfeit reproduction. This one is totally legal, and done with full permission from Irem. And it is made with a level of quality that you will most likely not be able to find anywhere else. 

All of that for less than what you’d be able to do yourself, if you were even willing to buy infiniteneslives boards, cart shells, labels, box and printed materials, and know how on how to flash the cartridge.

You have to remember that not everyone in this community just wants to play the games. Some people also want to collect the games. And (not judging anyone here...) not everyone is willing to buy illegal counterfeits. This remake gives them a legal way to own a quality, CIB version of a great game for less price than they’d pay for a dirty cart only version of the original game

And like I said collecting a reproduction of something that was already released in your region doesnt make any sense to me. What are you collecting, reprints as a substitute? Whats the point? You can do what you want, but I will never understand the point of wasting money on stuff like this. Especially if money is the reason you are buying this reproduction in the first place. And Again who cares about what it would cost to make yourself. That doesnt make it a wiser purchase. Of course it would cost you more. You arent mass printing materials. Thats the way everything in business is practically.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 09/11/2019 at 01:01 PM by quest4nes

Sep 11 at 4:29:17 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
slightly off topic, but i saw them while looking at the retrobit page...

Are the N64 hori knockoff controllers worth a look?

Sep 11 at 6:34:53 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: Br81zad

I recently got one of these and I like it alot. If I were looking for a non original n64 controller Id get one of these.

https://retrofighters.com/our-collection/brawler64-nextgen-n...

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Sep 11 at 8:01:56 PM
m308gunner (63)
(Jason ) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
Reasons to buy the re-release of Metal Storm:
It has the official blessing of the license holder.
The collector's version comes a sweet plastic figurine, artbook and other junk.
The official/original CIB is frickin expensive.
I'm not entirely sure, but they've specifically said this is the Japanese version of the game, so it may be different?
It will tide you over till the economy tanks and you can afford to buy up all the official CIBs that people are selling off to put food on the table.

Sep 11 at 8:29:15 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania

I recently got one of these and I like it alot. If I were looking for a non original n64 controller Id get one of these.

Retrofighter is amazing. Absolutely first class all around controller. I have 3 and won't play with a thing else.

Sep 11 at 9:16:30 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky

It's my first time seeing that thing, it looks awesome! Might have to get a set

Sep 11 at 9:46:09 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

It's my first time seeing that thing, it looks awesome! Might have to get a set
As far as 3rd party N64 controllers, I havent used a better one. I got a gray one. Now it looks like there are funtastic colors.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Sep 11 at 11:59:26 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: Indo

The only point of Nintendoage is collecting?  I must have missed that.  I thought it was about discussing Nintendo is general.  The history, the games, trading, meeting new people, as well as new developments (hardware, homebrew, etc.).

Maybe I only see the site the way I want to and just ignore the posts about the must have hang tag editions.  Where do I surrender my username and turn around where I came from? 

This site was founded as a collector site. The entire internet criticizes this site because of the collector mentality here. Yes we do talk about all sorts of things. But this is pretty much focused on a collector site. I guess I just dont know. I thought that was understood. Most of the original big time posters dont show up much anymore because they finished their collections. You dont have to collect to be here at all, but the site was founded on the hobby. Founder sold his collection off and the site was even sold to gocollect lol.

Collect what you want, but I am always going to criticize cash grabs like this.

As far as other regions, I think thats a little different. If it never came out here , its a little neater. So to the person above in the UK, this makes a little more sense as a neat thing. I got Ghostbusters II European Release from timewalk back in the day. I still dont really consider those parts of my collection. Kind of like little anecdotes.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 09/12/2019 at 09:56 AM by quest4nes

Sep 15 at 1:13:25 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

Sorry to harp on teh point, but I saw this and thought it was funny. August 2006, first posts on the website lol.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&...

Originally posted by: NationalGameDepot

Someone has to get the ball rolling so I thought I would make the first post here. We look forward to everyone's help and input. Hopefully this site will take NES collecting to a whole new level. Lots of work to do, but well worth the effort.
~~NGD

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 09/15/2019 at 01:17 AM by quest4nes

Sep 15 at 6:24:37 AM
Indo (4)
New Jersey

Sorry to harp on teh point, but I saw this and thought it was funny. August 2006, first posts on the website lol.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&cati...

Originally posted by: NationalGameDepot

Someone has to get the ball rolling so I thought I would make the first post here. We look forward to everyone's help and input. Hopefully this site will take NES collecting to a whole new level. Lots of work to do, but well worth the effort.
~~NGD

I get what you are saying, but the point I was trying to make was from your posts, the impression I got was you were framing this as NA is only for collecting and there was no room for other views. Not that I missed a large portion of the site or it's founding was about collecting.

Edited: 09/15/2019 at 06:30 AM by Indo

Sep 15 at 7:34:14 AM
Indo (4)
New Jersey
To Maertens29 point on his topic about how he only recognizes people by their avatar instead of username, I guess I fall into that category. I did not recognize you (Jeff) with the Halloween avatar until you went back to the Bubsy.

Sep 17 at 7:22:57 AM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Preorders up at 8am pst. Collectors Edition is priced very low imo

Edited: 09/17/2019 at 07:32 AM by a3quit4s

Sep 17 at 7:54:10 AM
phart010 (8)
North Carolina
As early as they had announced this, I really hope that they have a bunch of them ready to ship. I don't know why they would tell us about this product way far in advance and then wait until the orders come in before they start manufacturing

Sep 17 at 8:07:24 AM
phart010 (8)
North Carolina
Can someone tell me how the Japan version is different?

Sep 17 at 11:56:25 AM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
LRG says "Only 3,000 copies of this Collector's Edition will be available and sold through Limited Run Games!". Kind of misleading to describe this as limited, since as far as I can tell it's just up for preorder on Castlemania and this isn't limited at all? Edit: Oh they have a different cartridge color. Honestly considering how big LRG is compared to Castlemania I bet there ends up being more LRG copies in the end. Castlemania Games shipping was $12 though, it's actually cheaper to go thorugh LRG.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Edited: 09/17/2019 at 12:00 PM by DefaultGen

Sep 17 at 12:03:08 PM
m308gunner (63)
(Jason ) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
Ordered through LRG.

Sep 17 at 12:39:22 PM
< Lolo Lord >
Florida
metalstorm2

Sep 17 at 3:39:54 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia

Why do you hate freedom?

Sep 17 at 4:02:34 PM
punch-out!!84 (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Meh, I have the original cart. I have no desire for any of these licensed retro games like SF II 30th anniversary, Shadows of the Empire, etc. I only want the Nintendo seal of approval versions.