Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

BeaglePuss and Mrmark's ongoing prototype finds Today's Score: Clu Clu Land prototype!!!

May 29, 2010 at 2:42:09 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

Originally posted by: RASK1904

Is it possible for you to add how many of each new find are know to exist. I undestand this is very dificult to compute. But some info like that would be sweet. Just as example I'm sure you know, just out of the proto collectors you know, how many of them have the Wacky Racers Proto. Just think it might add to the holy shit factor. Thanx RASK1904

I could give it a shot, but it would be pretty tough to be honest.  I know that at least Dream has a WR prototype, but beyond that I really have no idea.

It's funny you should bring this up though.  There are unreleased titles like Airball, Cuestick, Sonic Crackers, and Drac's Night Out where multiple copies exist.  Then there are titles like the Terra Cresta I have where I don't really know of any other known copies.  That would make my TC prototype rarer than the unreleased games I suppose.  Kind of funny to think of it that way.

This also doesn't take into consideration that some proto collectors don't like to advertise what they own in any form, probably for the same reason that Bronty doesn't let on which games he needs for his set...some spiteful people might want to drive the price up just to cost them a few extra bucks for something they need to fill a hole in their collection, as opposed to buying for reselling/trading.

-------------------------

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

May 29, 2010 at 7:44:15 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

Originally posted by: RASK1904

Is it possible for you to add how many of each new find are know to exist. I undestand this is very dificult to compute. But some info like that would be sweet. Just as example I'm sure you know, just out of the proto collectors you know, how many of them have the Wacky Racers Proto. Just think it might add to the holy shit factor. Thanx RASK1904

I could give it a shot, but it would be pretty tough to be honest.  I know that at least Dream has a WR prototype, but beyond that I really have no idea.

It's funny you should bring this up though.  There are unreleased titles like Airball, Cuestick, Sonic Crackers, and Drac's Night Out where multiple copies exist.  Then there are titles like the Terra Cresta I have where I don't really know of any other known copies.  That would make my TC prototype rarer than the unreleased games I suppose.  Kind of funny to think of it that way.

This also doesn't take into consideration that some proto collectors don't like to advertise what they own in any form, probably for the same reason that Bronty doesn't let on which games he needs for his set...some spiteful people might want to drive the price up just to cost them a few extra bucks for something they need to fill a hole in their collection, as opposed to buying for reselling/trading.

It's possible, but I highly doubt it.  I mean, I know what both Dream and NesGod own, and everyone knows what Mark and I own.  A quick search on DP and NESworld will give you a good idea as to what Martin, Nesoholic, Van Halen, and others own. 

There are not that many prototype collectors out there, at least not active ones that is.  If there were I would know by now as I would have bid against them at some point.  Most prototypes collectors tend to be dick-wavers like myself (but to a lesser extent of course).  Some collectors try to keep quiet, but it only takes one laps.  When I'm at a computer for 3+ hours watching students complete a standardized test I tend to do some searches (and take notes). 

Once I (or fellow prototype collectors) get a hold of a source, we tend to shut-up about it, so you're right in that regard I suppose.  I know Dream still has some secrets and so do I.  It's still not as interesting as you would think though.

There's this stigma that comes along with prototype collecting that I will never understand.  I chalk it up as folklore at this point.

I also can't think of a single example of a spiteful collector driving up the price of a prototype in my years of prototype collecting.  We tend to work together more often than against one another.

May 29, 2010 at 7:49:06 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
I was simply speculating as to why it might not be feasible. There is occasionally a spiteful person who just doesn't want certain guys to get deals, and that happens in any aspect of this hobby, and it's firmly rooted in jealousy. The fact that there's few dedicated proto guys doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't spiteful folks outside of that community that wouldn't pull something like that, but it's rare. Just saying that paranoia could be a factor, not the sole obstacle

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

May 29, 2010 at 7:49:13 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
stop hoarding shit you guys, geesh.

eBay listings here

May 29, 2010 at 8:05:26 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
You first Josh. It's time for a firesale goddamn it! Protos for $1!

May 29, 2010 at 8:19:59 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
i only hoard sealed games, not rare unreleased shit. Matt and Mark, I expect hi-res scans of that original unreleased box art at no less than 300 dpi in png format posted for everyone to have for free.

eBay listings here

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:02:27 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Got a few more gems in today, including 2 more unreleased NES games:

First up, Airball:

Obviously, most have you are familiar with Airball after BunnyBoy made it famous with his first major Retrozone repro release. This one is cool for a few reasons. First, it is a VERY early build and completely different from the version Bunny released. Although early, it is still beatable (I actually beat it minutes ago). It does not have a difficulty option, so it's one hit and you're toast this time around. No floating ability and you can burst from over inflation. the one thing it DOES have that the Retrozone version doesn't have is the ability to change the configuration of the D-Pad movement. You can set it to "Diagonal" which is the set up you have in the Retrozone version, or you can set it to "Normal" which allows you to move up and down and left to right.

Next up, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier:

After reading all of the hate about this game, it's honestly not THAT bad. Decent graphics and platforming aspects, it just doesn't seem polished. I can forgive it for that as it never saw release. The game definitely has a tough learning curve, but I found it enjoyable enough.

I also picked up a proto of James Bond: The Duel for the Genesis with box (what appears to be a photocopy of the final art), but I'm just not excited enough for it at the moment to snap a picture.

These two games bring Matt and my total of Unreleased NES games to 16! Not bad for a couple of Science Teachers

Wanted to give a big thanks to Portnoyd for hooking up my brother and I with some sweet deals.  Thanks so much man, we really appreciate it!

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Edited: 06/01/2010 at 05:07 PM by MrMark0673

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:07:43 PM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta
Ah, the sweet 16! Congrats on the finds, I'm looking forward to seeing the photo of the Genesis proto.

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:11:56 PM
Laurie (42)
(Levar Burtons' Magically Wonderful Deluxe Sundae Machine) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
Has a ROM for Star Trek V been released? I'd be interested in checking it out if there is one.

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:27:29 PM
i2a2n2 (39)
(Ian B.) < Kraid Killer >
Ontario
Nice pick ups indeed love the Star trek proto!

My NWC High Score 661 950  Jan 19th 2010

---------Wanted: SNES PROTOTYPES !!! PM Me-----------

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:38:15 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Yay Airball! Glad you got a cart and took the time to figure out what is different. Wonder why the movement part was taken out, or if remains of it are still there in the version I have.

That should just leave one board that hasn't been checked out for differences?

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:38:11 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Laurie

Has a ROM for Star Trek V been released? I'd be interested in checking it out if there is one.

The existing one takes a weird mapper but it's out there. I've never played it, just haven't gotten around to it lately, but if someone does a nice boxed release of it for us trekkies (HINT HINT) I'd jump on that bandwagon.

Edit -- if anyone's interested, I'll do the full manual and box art for this, I'd really be eager to take a crack at this. I've watched STV probably 30+ times -- although as a caveat, it was a version that had the MST3k treatment by some fans, so if that counts, it's definitely at least 30 times

Edited: 06/01/2010 at 08:39 PM by dangevin

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:53:06 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
The Star Trek V I have (presumably from lostlevels.org) is just plain MMC1. Quick look at that proto board would show what mapper it uses. It may even be the same cart that Lost Levels had. Would be a great repro to get signed! Let me know when you finish your art/manual

Jun 1, 2010 at 9:42:00 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
It's an SLROM, which is definitely one of the nicer donors to need. Lots of cheapo shitastic games that use that mapper, donors are a plenty. Be a very cool Retrozone release if you guys toss it together, then you wouldn't even have to worry about donors.

FYI, my copy appears to be identical/near identical to the ROM already floating around, so you guys aren't missing anything

Dan, if you want screen caps or anything for box art, I could toss some your way whenever, just let me know!

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:35:51 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Today's prototype: Snow Bros.

Purchase off DP for $200 shipped.  Stirred up a little drama with the purchase (sorry about that Skaar), but everything ended well in the end. 

I have not had a chance to test for differences, but from what I gathered from the seller it appears to be the same as the retail release.  This is at least the third known Snow Bros prototype to be in a collectors hands.  This also brings our NES Capcom prototype total to five carts.  I would love to go for a complete set at some point, but I think a few titles have yet to be found in prototype form (Megaman 1 comes to mind).

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:20:44 PM
wrk (69)
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Congrats on the find guys! Looking forward to an update once you've been able to play it.

https://www.prodigydisc.com/...

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:10:34 PM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta
Wow, talk about a great prototype to have. Interesting to hear that you guys are going for mini-sets of protos! Nice find!

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:11:43 PM
Tootai (4)
(Winston O'Boogie) < Crack Trooper >
Finland

I have not had a chance to test for differences, but from what I gathered from the seller it appears to be the same as the retail release. 

Why not compare it with the released ROM. In the command prompt, type fc /b rom1.nes rom2.nes, and if it's identical to the released one, it'll tell you or list the differences.

Jun 29, 2010 at 5:28:30 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Today's prototypes:  Bad News Baseball, Blaster Master, Freedom Force, Iron Tank, Milon's Secret Castle, RBI Baseball, Rad Racer 2, Rally Bike, and Tecmo World Wrestling.

I just got this bad-ass lot of games in the mail.  I wasn't home when it was originally delivered, so I had to pick it up at the PO.  It was in Mark's name (and insured) so they wouldn't give it to me without a proper ID.  I was able to swing home and grab Mark's Driver's License.  Wonder Twin Power Activated!

Anywho. . .
These were purchased off of the NESWorld forum.  If you've never been over there, it's definitely worth a visit.  Martin run's a great site, and it's home to one of the most comprehensive list of NES prototypes/prototype pictures.

This is one of our largest hauls.  I'm pumped about some of the titles included, but at least two are duplicates (Tecmo Wrestling and Bad News Baseball) but they have sweet labels.  I actually didn't even realize I had a Bad News Baseball prototype until I went to update my list here lol!

I haven't had a chance to fire them up, but I will after a quick cleaning.  Check back here for an update on differences (or lack there of).  And for those wondering, RBI Baseball and Rad Racer are the two games without labels.  The seller posted a picture of the PCBs though, and RBI Baseball is on a SICK Atari PCB. 

Jun 29, 2010 at 5:59:00 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
Ah hell yeah nice score there guys! I love the SNK label, that thing is the balls.

So i guess the goal is to get a prototype of every released NES game since Mark and you have a complete NTSC collection, right?

eBay listings here

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:08:35 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: qixmaster

So i guess the goal is to get a prototype of every released NES game since Mark and you have a complete NTSC collection, right?

Hahahaha!  Honestly?  Yes.

Will we ever achieve that goal?  Of course not!  It will keep the thrill of collecting intact indefinitely though.

In reality I would settle for owning the largest NES prototype collection in the world.  We're getting there, slowly but surely.

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:12:45 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
you guys never cease to amaze me. nice lot o protos there.

Let's Go Penguins!

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:54:39 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
So NOW I know why my grandma called NES games tapes. Even SNK called them cassettes!

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:00:27 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: dr.robbie

you guys never cease to amaze me. nice lot o protos there.

Thanks dude!

Originally posted by: chadalleman

So NOW I know why my grandma called NES games tapes. Even SNK called them cassettes!

Hahahaha! 

It could be worse.  To this day my mother calls the NES an "Intendo."  Trying to correct her is useless at this point.

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:25:33 PM
hybrid (45)
(jeff .) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
wow impressive