Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NES Sharp TV Combo Pin Connector How-to Lots o' pictures

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:48:55 PM
dirtbrother (64)
(Switch Bender) < Meka Chicken >
United States
So I purchased an NES Sharp TV the other day in great shape and was told it was working when it was put away (heard that once or twice before). Got it home and fired it up and best I could get were a few garbled graphics. Otherwise, it was the ever-present solid colored flashing screen. So, my brother and I took it apart last night to refurbish the 72-pin connector and clean it up. We also decided to document it for anyone else wanting to do the same. The process was very easy and only required some patience and a minor amount of technical skill. If you can take apart a regular NES you should be able to tackle this. However, be cautioned that there is a risk of shock when working around any CRT. There is no need to discharge it, just be careful where you are working as I hold no responsibility for you hurting, maiming, or killing yourself. 

If there is a better place for this to be posted please move it as you see fit. 

Step 1: Following the service manual PDF found in the database, set the TV upright and remove the six (6) screws holding the back part of the TV case on. Once they are removed, carefully slide the back panel straight back and off of the unit. You might have to wiggle it a little bit to get it started but do not twist or otherwise bend it to get it off. It has to come straight off. If you do not pull it straight off, you risk damaging the gun or some of the other parts. See the circled portion of the picture below for a better understanding of why. 

Step 2: Once the back panel has been removed, you must remove the wires connecting the NES portion to the main board of the TV. One of the connectors is seemingly impossible to get to as it is buried near the front (closest to the screen) of the main board. Very carefully, pull the main board (it is actually two separate pieces tethered together) toward you. It is designed to slide out. Pull it out far enough so you can comfortably work. The picture above shows it slid out. The wires you need to disconnect are easy to find. On the left side (looking at the back) you will find the group of wires in question coming out of the NES portion and into the TV. Simply follow them to where they plug into the board and remove them. The board was labeled as was the harness clip so they are easy to put back together as well. 

The five clips to remove are:

A

V

EA

EB

And N (Note: this is the one at the front of the board. The picture shows it before we used the service slides to pull the main board out.)

Step 3: Now that you have removed all the wires holding the NES portion to the TV, you can remove it. Carefully, flip the TV over and lay it on its top. At first I was apprehensive about the stability of the top panel holding the weight of everything but the service manual called for it and it worked fine. I recommend using two people for this step. Once you have the TV upside down, remove the four (4) screws holding the NES unit to the TV portion. Once that is done, have one person lift the NES unit off the TV while the other person guides the set of five wires out of the slot where they enter the TV. Once it is free, set it upright (feet down) and remove all the screws found in the top of the NES portion. Remove the top cover. 

Step 4: From this point on it is a simple matter of removing the RF shield and pin connector from the board as you would do on any NES. Here is the part where you clean the board, reshape the pins, and boil the connector. Putting back together is just the reverse of removal. The board found in the NES Sharp combo is relatively the same as the one found in any given NES. Several differences but nothing to be concerned with. My pin connector was both disgustingly dirty and not making contact with the game. 

Step 5: Test and enjoy!

-------------------------

Edited: 01/07/2015 at 12:55 PM by dirtbrother

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:52:22 PM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
You crazy bastards!

How does the TV connect to the base? I see you say it was screwed, but no pics of that. Are the really long screws? I think we can see the holes for them up there, just really curious. I'd heard it was two pieces, just hadn't see it, yet.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:56:48 PM
dirtbrother (64)
United States
Originally posted by: Ferris Bueller

You crazy bastards!

How does the TV connect to the base? I see you say it was screwed, but no pics of that. Are the really long screws? I think we can see the holes for them up there, just really curious. I'd heard it was two pieces, just hadn't see it, yet.

I just added a picture of it for you. All of the screws holding the back of the TV on, the NES to the TV, and the top cover of the NES portion were all the exact same. Maybe 1/2" screws. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:12:10 PM
KAMIKAWA (25)
(Keith Kamikawa) < Kraid Killer >
Wisconsin
LOVE IT! Great guide and Exactly what I'll need for when I finally score one of these babies! Nice work and contribution to the community!

For Sale: Limited Run Games http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Check out my Virtual Reality game PolyAquatic out now on iOS for Google Cardboard!
Coming Soon to Oculus Rift! 
http://polyaquatic.com/...

If you're looking for game art, pixel, 3D, or graphic design hit me up!
https://keithkamikawa.com/...

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:02:17 PM
th0rpe (36)
(JT ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Thanks for the guide, I need to do this myself.

Quick question. Is it possible to just remove the very bottom portion (the legs) by itself?

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:40:01 PM
jfreakofkorn (23)
< King Solomon >
United States
informative thread .... and thanks for sharing =0)

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:47:02 PM
dirtbrother (64)
United States
Originally posted by: th0rpe

Thanks for the guide, I need to do this myself.

Quick question. Is it possible to just remove the very bottom portion (the legs) by itself?
No. The only way to get the bottom half of the NES portion (the feet are part of the bottom half, not separate pieces) off is to do it the way it shows in the service manual. There is not enough slack in the wires connecting the NES to the TV to do it that way. To get the NES portion open you have to access the screws on the top of the NES portion. If they gave you 6" more slack in the wiring you could do it without having to open up the TV. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:36:06 PM
Nintendo_matt (46)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
This is awesome, I've really been thinking about replacing the 72-pin on my sharp nes tv. This might just give me the motivation.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:43:09 PM
dirtbrother (64)
United States
It's not hard at all. I highly recommend having a second person there to help, especially when you have to turn the TV upside down. Take your time and you won't have any problems.

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:13:32 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
I like your warning about electric shock. Flyback transformers put out a lot of voltage guys. Make sure it's discharged, it likely won't kill you but it will hurt. I have tasted the metallic, tingly shocks of working on non-discharged monitors and it's no fun...

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:15:15 PM
Lance (0)
(Lance ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Mostly I just recommend repeatedly sticking a clean cartridge in and out, but I can see why you'd want to open it up and look at the pin connector.

Many thanks for the guide and pics.

Edited: 01/08/2015 at 12:15 PM by Lance

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:38:37 PM
dirtbrother (64)
United States
Originally posted by: Lance

Mostly I just recommend repeatedly sticking a clean cartridge in and out, but I can see why you'd want to open it up and look at the pin connector.

Many thanks for the guide and pics.

My pin connector was so loose that the contacts of the game were not making contact. Plus, nothing gets a pin connector nearly as clean as boiling it. 

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:07:41 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Great write up man

www.videogamesage.com...

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:22:38 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Very nice. I will link this thread in the first post of the Sharp TV collector thread

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:12:15 PM
Mario's Right Nut (352)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas
Very nice. I made the mistake of leaving a powerpak in mine for a year or so...it won't work anymore. This might get it working again.

One of my bastard feet broke off, do you think that super glue would hold it back on there?

This is my shiny thing, and if you try to take it off me, I may have to eat you.

Check out my dev blog.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:22:18 PM
dirtbrother (64)
United States
I was thinking about that as well. From what I can tell, the feet don't take any substantial amount of weight so I think if you still have the foot I would super glue that sucker back on.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:07:02 PM
theirontoupee (53)
< Bowser >
Texas
Originally posted by: dirtbrother

So I purchased an NES Sharp TV the other day in great shape and was told it was working when it was put away (heard that once or twice before). Got it home and fired it up and best I could get were a few garbled graphics. Otherwise, it was the ever-present solid colored flashing screen. So, my brother and I took it apart last night to refurbish the 72-pin connector and clean it up. We also decided to document it for anyone else wanting to do the same. The process was very easy and only required some patience and a minor amount of technical skill. If you can take apart a regular NES you should be able to tackle this. However, be cautioned that there is a risk of shock when working around any CRT. There is no need to discharge it, just be careful where you are working as I hold no responsibility for you hurting, maiming, or killing yourself. 

Soooooo...could you explain a bit more about how to avoid this, specifically where not to accidentally touch so I don't die?

WTB Thread (Always looking for Exertainment related items)

FO/FT Thread - Xbox, PS1, Gamecube, and more!

NintendoAge Official Exertainment Thread!!!

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:37:00 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
@irontoupee

Look up crt capacitors

www.videogamesage.com...

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:39:00 AM
supergamboy (118)

(Sanford ) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Finally! I've always wanted to do this but have been too nervous. Like Mario's Left Nut, I too left a cartridge in for a long period of time and now it won't work.

Sep 22, 2015 at 7:55:05 AM
Faxanadude (21)
(A Winner Is You) < Kraid Killer >
North Carolina
Planning on Following this guide this weekend.