Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Problems Capturing Footage with BlackMagic Intensity Extreme Device not recognizing HDMI input from AVS

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:15:06 PM
SmaMan (0)
(Smalliard Manning) < Crack Trooper >
Oklahoma
I work for a local TV show and I'm trying to capture some NES footage for a story we're doing on retro gaming and such. We use BlackMagic's "Intensity Extreme" (similar to this device) to capture HDMI footage, but we're having trouble getting the device to recognize the AVS' video input.

I haven't used the BlackMagic much myself, but my coworker who has tried a few different things this afternoon and couldn't get it to work. Has anyone else had trouble capturing footage from the AVS on any sort of capture card? Is there some setting we're missing?

-------------------------
When I'm not 8-bitting my life away, I like to write. You can find my short stories and ramblings here: smaman.wordpress.com

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:29:31 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
I had sound issues with elgato and the AVS originally. RetroUSB released a firmware update that fixed that. Its also a good idea to make sure you recording software has been updated as well.

Im not familiar with BlackMagic thou.

Playas Guide Logo

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:39:37 PM
SmaMan (0)
Oklahoma
Huh... didn't think about that.

Do you know which version this was specifically addressed in? I couldn't find it in any of the changelogs. I think I'm running on 1.10 which is the latest non-beta version.

When I'm not 8-bitting my life away, I like to write. You can find my short stories and ramblings here: smaman.wordpress.com

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:15:30 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
No sorry. I imagine the latest up date.

Playas Guide Logo

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:53:52 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
Originally posted by: ne$_pimp

No sorry. I imagine the latest up date.
If I remember correctly you might have gotten ahold of one of the pre-release units which had 1.0 firmware and 44.1 KHz audio and had issues like this.
The 1.1.0 Firmware the normal release units shipped with went to 48KHz audio which resolved the issue you were having and some other glitches. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:57:25 PM
SmaMan (0)
Oklahoma
Thanks for your suggestions. I updated the firmware to be safe, but the I think the real problem was I had it set to 59.94fps (which is what we use as a standard). It worked fine once I switched it to 60!

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:17:56 AM
StuOhQ (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
No such problems on the Elgato HD. Records fine on both 720p60 and 1080p30 (the limitations of that model).

Retro Tech Select
Check out my YouTube Channel for old-school gaming goodness!