Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can NA beat every N64 game in a year? - 2019 85/303 Complete: 28.05%

Jan 10 at 1:54:08 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I've beaten DK64 in just a few hours, but that was abusing speedrunning glitches. Same with Mario 64, I've done a Zero Star Run before.  

-------------------------

Jan 10 at 7:44:28 PM
OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
Originally posted by: Splain

Originally posted by: OptOut

Worst N64 game I've ever played, bar none.

Lol. I read this and decided to take down Elmo's Number Journey. Sounds like Letter Adventure, you have to walk through 3 pairs of corridors, slowly gathering ten of the same number. Sometimes they shake it up by putting you on a boat or snowboard or something. Then you have to throw baseballs. How many? The number they tell you. That part might actually be good practice for a kid who is already learning their numbers. Enough to justify any amount of money? No.

It sounds like the same thing! I was holding out the slightest hope that they put the effort in enough to at least offer some variation between the two... Let me guess, the three themes for each of the levels are farm, space and underwater? How on Earth did they get away with this?

Let me just say, as a parent of two preschool children (and also a teacher, no less), if you read to your kids or if you take them to nursery or preschool, they will pick up numbers and letters very quickly. This type of excruciatingly simple, rote and overly guided "learning" offered in these games is of zero practical educational value. None.

And what are you left with when you strip the "educational" out of an educational game... Well in this case not even a game! Imagine if you'd bought both games on release day... I'm even more pissed now! > 

***Help me finish my N64 set!!!***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
***I will pay good money for YOUR shovelware sports games!!!***

Jan 10 at 7:59:59 PM
MeridianPrime (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Big question is.... Who will take one for the team and beat Aidyn...

Jan 10 at 8:03:18 PM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
Originally posted by: MeridianPrime

Is it that bad? I am planing on Aidyn after DK64 is finished. 

Jan 10 at 11:59:59 PM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Originally posted by: themisfit138

Nah, it's great. Have fun, friend!  

Jan 11 at 5:29:23 AM
erac (0)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Read my review from last year. It's okay if you're into RPGs, otherwise you probably will quit it a couple hours in.

Jan 11 at 6:20:19 AM
MeridianPrime (0)
< Crack Trooper >

That is the most comforting yet most sarcastic comment ever!  

Jan 11 at 7:40:51 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
I do plan on beating Aidyn this year, so if nobody else is wanting to play it don't worry about it. My hope is to clear my N64 backlog in 2019. You can click the link in my signature if you wanna see exactly what games that means I'll be playing.

Jan 11 at 8:01:54 AM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana

That is the most comforting yet most sarcastic comment ever!  

You guys make it sound awful. Much like Gloves, I am playing through my N64 catalogue this year. So, after I finish DK then on to Aidyn. I am beating the games that I haven’t played before first starting with the longer games.  

Edited: 01/11/2019 at 08:12 AM by themisfit138

Jan 11 at 9:55:28 PM
Red (80)
(Green Blue) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Rat Attack! is done. A bit of a disappointing game. I liked the idea, but the unclear graphics, poor camera, and short length really brought it down.

Jan 13 at 5:12:28 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Army men 2 is now complete!

I would say it is better than its predecessor. The combat is basically the same, and the general structure of the game and the gameplay is also very similar. But the movement is a little less clunky and smoother, the graphics a are brighter and more varied, and the level designs are more interesting too. However, it really is only an incremental improvement, so if you weren't into the first you probably wouldn't be into this either.

Next on the list: Army Men Air Combat!

Jan 13 at 6:09:17 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Another quick one out the way: Virtual Pool 64!

Figured I'd get a quick 4 man tournament done and claim that one from the list, kinda like a snack between meals, lol!

Edited: 01/13/2019 at 06:11 AM by OptOut

Jan 13 at 3:08:22 PM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
I am out on DK64. I was on the last level struggling with the part were you pull the lever with Donkey. Then you have 50 seconds to change to Diddy and fly through the DK stars, but by time you change and get the jetpack you only have around 40 seconds usually 35. So, I turned it off to take a break and come back. Well, when I turned it back on there was no game data, just great!

Jan 13 at 3:15:07 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

I am out on DK64. I was on the last level struggling with the part were you pull the lever with Donkey. Then you have 50 seconds to change to Diddy and fly through the DK stars, but by time you change and get the jetpack you only have around 40 seconds usually 35. So, I turned it off to take a break and come back. Well, when I turned it back on there was no game data, just great!

Have you tried taking it out and plugging it back in? I've had that happen before and doing so fixed it.

That said, devastating. Worst possible scenario right there, sorry to hear it.

Jan 13 at 3:32:58 PM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
Originally posted by: Gloves

Have you tried taking it out and plugging it back in? I've had that happen before and doing so fixed it. That said, devastating. Worst possible scenario right there, sorry to hear it.

I tried, it’s gone. I guess it is just part of the experience of playing 20 year old games. 

Jan 13 at 5:30:37 PM
Red (80)
(Green Blue) < Lolo Lord >
United States
So, I beat Episode 5 in Rescue Mode of Tetrisphere and got the ending and credits, but the game keeps going after that. It seems it actually ends after Episode 10, but it just shows the same ending again. Would just clearing Episode 5 be considered beating it for the purpose of this thread?

Jan 13 at 6:20:18 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona

Have you tried taking it out and plugging it back in? I've had that happen before and doing so fixed it. That said, devastating. Worst possible scenario right there, sorry to hear it.

I tried, it’s gone. I guess it is just part of the experience of playing 20 year old games. 

Noooo.   That's terrible to hear. I'm playing through Kirby's Dream Land 2 for the Game Boy thread, and my cart still has the original battery from the mid 90s. Every time I power it on I pray that I won't find empty saves. I'd better finish that!

Originally posted by: Red

So, I beat Episode 5 in Rescue Mode of Tetrisphere and got the ending and credits, but the game keeps going after that. It seems it actually ends after Episode 10, but it just shows the same ending again. Would just clearing Episode 5 be considered beating it for the purpose of this thread?

Great question. It looks like the people who did Tetrisphere last year (MeridianPrime) and the year before (Shellshocker18) went all the way to beat 10-10. But I'm not sure if that fits with the rest of the requirements that basically stop at "credit roll and you're done." I remember OptOut saw credits last year but didn't feel like the game was beaten, so I don't want to make a definitive call on this without some more educated input, since I've never made it farther than a few levels into Tetrisphere.

Any input from MeridianPrime (who is literally a world record holder for this game), OptOut, or anyone?

Jan 13 at 7:48:07 PM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Originally posted by: Red

We basically came to the conclusion last year that the true ending of Tetrisphere is 10-10, it's only at this point that the full Tetrisphere experience reaches its culmination. Certainly, you do get credits at 5-10 (and also 8-10, incidentally) but the game just keeps on going without any meaningful difference or break until you get to 10-10, so it is hard to justify 5-10 as the finale... That would be my opinion anyway.

I never did beat 10-10 myself, but I had a great time playing it anyway, very engaging and interesting puzzle game!

Jan 13 at 7:52:35 PM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan

I tried, it's gone. I guess it is just part of the experience of playing 20 year old games. 

Damn dude, sorry that sucks! I have had problems with the save chip in a Goldeneye cart, so it does happen... But DK64 has to be one of the worst games for it to happen on!  

Jan 13 at 7:55:53 PM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan

z z z

SPLAIN ALERT!

Did you see the two games I beat yesterday, or did they get lost amongst the other posts? Can't have you falling asleep at the wheel, we've got games to beat!  

Jan 13 at 8:03:04 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Once I've beaten DKC3 on SNES for the SNES Contest, it'll be back to Banjo Kazooie for a bit. Depending on how far I get and how quickly, I'll have to jump over to Mystical Ninja also for the SNES Contest, but I hope to have BK done by the end of the month so I can play Banjo Tooie, which I have never actually played before. Really looking forward to that!

Jan 13 at 9:27:13 PM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan

Once I've beaten DKC3 on SNES for the SNES Contest, it'll be back to Banjo Kazooie for a bit. Depending on how far I get and how quickly, I'll have to jump over to Mystical Ninja also for the SNES Contest, but I hope to have BK done by the end of the month so I can play Banjo Tooie, which I have never actually played before. Really looking forward to that!

Banjo Tooie is a great game, you are very lucky to have the opportunity to experience it for the first time! Personally, I prefer the first, but I know a lot of people who prefer the second, so let us know how you get on!

Jan 14 at 12:10:00 AM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona

z z z

SPLAIN ALERT! Did you see the two games I beat yesterday, or did they get lost amongst the other posts? Can't have you falling asleep at the wheel, we've got games to beat!  

Just let me sleep!

I totally saw them but I was on mobile, and then I conveniently forgot all about them when I saw the Tetrisphere post. Lol

Jan 14 at 12:19:00 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan

z z z

SPLAIN ALERT! Did you see the two games I beat yesterday, or did they get lost amongst the other posts? Can't have you falling asleep at the wheel, we've got games to beat!  

Just let me sleep!

I totally saw them but I was on mobile, and then I conveniently forgot all about them when I saw the Tetrisphere post. Lol

Alright, I forgive you!

Back to bed, nighty night!  

Jan 15 at 8:54:56 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
SPLAIN ALERT! Army Men Air Combat is complete!

The trilogy of Army Men titles on the N64 is brought to a close. Of course this one plays a lot differently to the others, it's actually a helicopter game, along the lines of nuclear strike which I played last year. I was expecting it to be more of a 3D flight simulator combat game, based on the title, but there is actually no true air combat in this game, it's all air-to-ground (apart from other helicopters, but same difference).

It's a fun game, but REALLY easy. Way too easy. And no difficulty settings I could find, so you'll probably have it finished in an afternoon 3 to 4 hours max. I think there is a challenge mode or something, maybe I'll try that out next time I play. Actually, I think I prefer this to nuclear strike, which I found boring, the gameplay in this one is faster and the levels are more interesting. Just, as I said, zero challenge.

So there you have it! All 3 Army Men games. I'd say the 2nd is the best, then Air Combat and then the 1st game. I wouldn't seek them out especially, but if you can find them cheap they're worth a shot, there is certainly some fun, some charm and some novelty to be had, and they don't outstay their welcome either.

Next on the chopping block: Starshot Space Circus Whatever. Never played it, heard it's bad, bring it on!