Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NES Game Scans from other regions Found a game not in the database? Scan it in!

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:59:47 AM
Zzap (47)
(James ) < King Solomon >
Australia
Going through all my NES games I discovered a few previously undocumented regional releases of games. I thought it would be worth setting up a thread here for people to post any scans of games that aren't in the database and we can get them added. This way we can get the database as complete as possible for us non-NTSC people!

Note that scans of boxes, manuals and carts would be appreciated, but any parts help!

If you have trouble uploading pictures send me a PM and I can help you out.

-------------------------

Chunkout for iPhone, iPad and iTouch out now!
Chunkout Games: FaceBook | Web

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:07:00 AM
Zzap (47)
Australia
Additional AUS Releases:

Joe & Mac - Caveman Ninja
Code: NES-CJ-AUS

Spider-Man - Return of the Sinister Six
Code: NES-RX-AUS

Top Gun - The Second Mission
Code: NES-OG-AUS

Additional ITA Releases:

Solstice - Alla ricerca dello Scettro di Demnos
Code: NES-LX-ITA

Spy vs. Spy
Code: NES-SP-ITA

Additional GBR Releases:

Soccer
Code: GBR

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:10:47 AM
flatuswalrus (54)

(Mr. Dane) < Meka Chicken >
Queensland
Great idea to start this thread. I sent to the Webmaster email Guarding Legend box & cart the other day, I will have to go through my collection and get scanning as I would love nothing more than to have a completed PAL list somewhere to tick & flick.

I have a question, I noticed on your Soccer cart scan it says GBR, is that Britain PAL as oppose to Australian PAL? As that was the case with the Guardian Legend cart and it made me think I had a U.K. standard which they already had on their list.

& on the carts what does the part of the code mean that states "CJ", "RX" & OG. Although I've been collecting for years there is still much I have yet to learn.

Edited: 12/09/2009 at 04:15 AM by flatuswalrus

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:43:13 AM
Zzap (47)
Australia
The codes on NES games typically start with NES, then a 2 letter unique code for each game, then the region code. So the Spy vs. Spy there is NES-SP-ITA, the US release of the game has a code NES-SP-USA, the UK release has a code NES-SP-UKV etc.

The GBR code on the Soccer game was a code used for the early black box games I believe. A lot of the early releases of these games in the US didn't have a code at all on them. There is an entry in the database for NES-SC-GBR, however this is a subtly different release.

Note that in Australia it's quite common to find ITA, GBR and UKV games as well as the AUS. The most likely explanation for this is that it was easiest for the Australian distributors to source some games being published in foreign markets than it was to publish them with AUS specific codes. Or an awful lot were sent over as Christmas presents

The codes AUS, UKV, GBR and ITA all represent the general PAL "region" of PAL A. So games with these codes will all work on NES's from those countries as they have the same lockout chip. You will also notice a capital A on your PAL games, this is because it's PAL A. PAL B is made up of Spain, France, Scandenavia, Germany, Holland and Sweden, and games from those areas won't work on an unmodified PAL A console. So while the video format is the same, the regions were seperated similar to the way DVD does it for market control I guess.

Edited: 12/09/2009 at 04:49 AM by Zzap

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:55:43 AM
Zzap (47)
Australia
Any other Aussies got some things to add?

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:18:14 AM
Zzap (47)
Australia
Don't all rush in with new submissions...

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:45:25 AM
flatuswalrus (54)

(Mr. Dane) < Meka Chicken >
Queensland
I have got about 100 games coming in a month or so and when I get them I will check them all with the list here.

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:54:29 AM
Zzap (47)
Australia
Should hopefully be some new gems in there Dane

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:02:15 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
James, I added you back with game admin permissions.

Dec 12, 2009 at 8:36:37 PM
Zzap (47)
Australia
I've updated the database with the above games, I'll add extras as they come through!

Dec 12, 2009 at 8:40:01 PM
OzNEScollector (80)
(O z) < Kraid Killer >
Australia
when i start adding my stuff in the collection tool i'll be sure to document any stuff thats missing, i dont have a scanner though

Dec 12, 2009 at 11:01:30 PM
Zzap (47)
Australia
Wait and see what turns up Mark, good photos may be ok, otherwise there must surely be someone you know with one

Dec 13, 2010 at 4:11:08 PM
growly (9)
(Ben R) < Crack Trooper >
Queensland
Thought I should resurrect this thread. Zzap, are you still keen for people to upload region code variants? As per a discussion I was having with Mark in my Finders Keepers thread, do you still want uploads of manuals, carts, and boxes seperately that aren't on the database, or only if it's CIB of a region code that's not currently in there? This thread is a great idea IMO, and is a great way to get a compehensive Pal-A region code variant guide for those of us who want to collect region code variants.

Cheers