Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

cheep repros whos has the best

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:29:11 AM
recspecz (1)
(Shawn Wilkinson) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
I only purchase repros of prototype games that were never released for sale to the public, and they are the only NES games I collect CIB. I think it's cool to show off the hard work of the talented individuals who made the box art and manual from essentially scratch.

When it comes to homebrew, it's a mixed bag. If the ROM is released, and I like it, then I'll purchase it to support the talent of the brewer. If it sucks, then purchasing it is not on the priority list.

Personally, I wouldn't bother putting hacks on a cart. The Power Pak seems a more reasonable choice.

-------------------------
recspecz

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:38:02 AM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
Originally posted by: recspecz

Personally, I wouldn't bother putting hacks on a cart. The Power Pak seems a more reasonable choice.

Would you consider a game that was never released in the US worth buying on a cart if it has had a translation patch applied to it?  I'm asking because in my book (and I can accept this definition as debatable) I would call this a hack because it modifies the original code.  Examples would include the SNES Final Fantasy V, Secret of Mana 2, Final Fantasy III NES, Mega Man & Bass.  These are not hacks in the definition of a game that has had its level structure or sprites hacked, but my previous posts should be read as alluding to both because many people do simply play the patched file on their computer or Powerpak.

Also, I understand your wanting to contribute to the proto-dumping community, but technically they all fall under the definition of reproduction makers.  The only folk who don't I would argue are homebrewers (and you could probably make an arguement for games like Hoppin' Mad that were finished by homebrewers).  How is the proto-dumping community much different and how would you counter the probability most people likely played these games on ROM's after they were dumped?  I'd be willing to bet there are a lot more people that have played Kitty's Catch and Free Fall than have bought a cart from the Nolans and NGD.

Edited for grammar and clarification.

Edited: 07/27/2010 at 03:45 AM by removed-07-06-2016

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:55:54 AM
recspecz (1)
(Shawn Wilkinson) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
Originally posted by: nesguy

Would you consider a game that was never released in the US worth buying on a cart if it has had a translation patch applied to it?  I'm asking because in my book (and I can accept this definition as debatable) I would call this a hack because it modifies the original code.  Examples would include the SNES Final Fantasy V, Secret of Mana 2, Final Fantasy III NES, Mega Man & Bass.  These are not hacks in the definition of a game that has had its level structure or sprites hacked, but my previous posts should be read as alluding to both because many people do simply play the patched file on their computer or Powerpak.

Also, I understand your wanting to contribute to the proto-dumping community, but technically they all fall under the definition of reproduction makers.  The only folk who don't I would argue are homebrewers (and you could probably make an arguement for games like Hoppin' Mad that were finished by homebrewers).  How is the proto-dumping community much different and how would you counter the probability most people likely played these games on ROM's after they were dumped?  I'd be willing to bet there are a lot more people that have played Kitty's Catch and Free Fall than have bought a cart from the Nolans and NGD.

My comment was aimed mostly to discuss my own personal philosophy then what I think is the best strategy. Nothing is "black and white", and so concerning translated games I would probably like to own a cart rather than a simple file. Of course, for budgeting reasons owning cartridges of translated games are a lower priority for me then owning a repro of a proto, and I probably wouldn't seek out CIB for the translations either like I do for the protos.

But I agree completely with your sentiments here and in posts prior. Cartridges look cooler regardless if it's just a hacked game with Sonic in the place of Mario or Zelda Outlands. Plus, everyone has their own idea of what is valuable to them. "To each his own" is a good motto here. But personally for my own collecting purposes, I don't think I would ever purchase a simple hack of Mario on a cartridge because it is just not a significant priority.

recspecz

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:39:52 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: casperdj777

Get a power pack or go to the poor house.Thats like saying why buy games at all?? your get them free on the net.why buy cds ? there free on the net.why by books or anything these days there free on the net.Why not just buy a computer.Resell is crap so why not just get it all free off the net.

My point is that in light of the fact that you cannot, by any means, own/produce/consume hacks or reproductions legally, it makes sense to do the most efficient option that satisfies the desire to play on authentic hardware.

Once the PowerPak is in your NES the experience is identical to having a "real" cartridge.

You're still playing the games on the real hardware, with real hardware.  No emulation or general lack of authenticity.

Edited: 07/27/2010 at 08:40 AM by arch_8ngel

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:00:44 PM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

My point is that in light of the fact that you cannot, by any means, own/produce/consume hacks or reproductions legally, it makes sense to do the most efficient option that satisfies the desire to play on authentic hardware.

Once the PowerPak is in your NES the experience is identical to having a "real" cartridge.

You're still playing the games on the real hardware, with real hardware.  No emulation or general lack of authenticity.

This is still a crap argument.  You are assuming that economics and efficiency should be a person's primary concern and you completely disregard aesthetics.  You are assuming that the digital content of the game is the only part of the experience that matters.

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:23:11 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
 It's a perfectly valid argument that if you're interested in sampling the dozens of hacks and translations out there that are worth playing, it's much more economical to get a PowerPak, and the gameplay experience is the same (as opposed to just using an emulator).

My assumption regarding "what matters", is that playing the game on the real hardware for an authentic experience is what matters. That's what matters to me, at least.

Calling out a "crap argument" really doesn't speak to having a well thought out response, and isn't valid in this case, regardless.

Edited: 07/27/2010 at 12:27 PM by arch_8ngel

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:32:12 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

The proto-dumping guys release a limited run to cover expenses and then generally encourage play by releasing the ROM for free.  If they want to contribute to the community by getting those games played, and they only made a small run in the first place, what does more people playing than buying have to do with anything?

Similarly with translations, the guys who did that translation just want the games to be played and enjoyed.  The certainly don't have a stake in you buying a repro vs. playing the ROM.

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:34:26 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York

^screw that guys site! cheep but..yeah i dont like that 1!who is he on here?
Get a power pack or go to the poor house.Thats like saying why buy games at all?? your get them free on the net.why buy cds ? there free on the net.why by books or anything these days there free on the net.Why not just buy a computer.Resell is crap so why not just get it all free off the net.

arch's flame war aside, is no one going to address this? seriously?

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:36:48 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: zi

He's entitled to give a negative review to that site if he wants, though it'd be a more effective argument if he typed more coherently.

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:53:23 PM
zi (73)
New York
^^ yes. forget the argument, if one dares to call such a flimsy string of words an argument. i'm not a speller, but I do take the time to right-click and replace a word when i see the red line from spell check. and the grammar. and the punctuation!

i kinda wish he dropped all the articles in his sentences and really just go for gusto1!!11!!1

also, arch, arguing on the internet is for retards. please debate that. also, i hope yr wife is recovering well (seriously- i'm too lazy to look up that thread to get an update)!

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Edited: 07/27/2010 at 12:53 PM by zi

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:59:30 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
She's doing fine. She actually was back in the office yesterday, though she ended up going home early.

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:06:16 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta

The reproduction makers generally have no valid claim to the software.  All they do is take someone else's software and put it on existing carts, usually without permission and without compensating the creator in any way.  They are just like powerpaks except you can't change the game that is on them.  They are the nes equivalent of buying a burned CD with a nice label.  By purchasing these, you are doing all the same things that you claim to hate about the powerpak. (IMHO)

That said, I do collect pirate releases, and some of the CIB repro's are really nice!

GRRR!

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:15:39 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: cradelit

The reproduction makers generally have no valid claim to the software.  All they do is take someone else's software and put it on existing carts, usually without permission and without compensating the creator in any way.  They are just like powerpaks except you can't change the game that is on them.  They are the nes equivalent of buying a burned CD with a nice label.  By purchasing these, you are doing all the same things that you claim to hate about the powerpak. (IMHO)

That said, I do collect pirate releases, and some of the CIB repro's are really nice!

All points I was trying, evidently unsuccessfully, to make

Good clarification about the CIB releases, though.  Those boxes have evolved really nicely over the last couple of years.

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:18:13 PM
zi (73)
New York
^^ i dont give a pirates nut rot about the repros. i collect repros. i have more repros than you have in yr reg collection. i am a repro king. etc. what i'm addressing is that we're all accepting this crazy spelling/grammar/punct! but the time has passed. let us address repros... they are great. did i mention I have a few repros?

edit: err- that was to cradleit. 

repros?

Edited: 07/27/2010 at 01:19 PM by zi

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:22:37 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Oh, I thought your comment had to do with him calling out Necrosaro420.

Guess we've all just built up a too-large tolerance for functionally illiterate typists.

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:24:54 PM
zi (73)
New York
i thought i was going to have to do one of my translations.... maybe for his next post! hehe

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:34:48 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta

^^ i dont give a pirates nut rot about the repros. i collect repros. i have more repros than you have in yr reg collection. i am a repro king. etc. what i'm addressing is that we're all accepting this crazy spelling/grammar/punct! but the time has passed. let us address repros... they are great. did i mention I have a few repros?

edit: err- that was to cradleit. 

repros?

Oh, sorry I misunderstood..  I don't give an immigrant's nut about spelling, grammer, and "punct"

Edit: However, interestingly I understood casperdj with no trouble, but misunderstood zi's post...  hmmm...

GRRR!

Edited: 07/27/2010 at 01:41 PM by cradelit

Jul 27, 2010 at 2:13:22 PM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
NA doesn't like my long posts.

Edited: 07/27/2010 at 02:14 PM by removed-07-06-2016

Jul 27, 2010 at 2:14:37 PM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
Very long post not working, but to sum it up:  Yes, your arguments are crap.

Edited: 07/27/2010 at 02:15 PM by removed-07-06-2016

Jul 27, 2010 at 2:22:48 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

You're such a master debater   And polite, too!

Jul 27, 2010 at 2:36:08 PM
zi (73)
New York

+1

yep. it's a matter of taste. anyone who makes broad judgments about people is an ass.

anyone who doesn't "get" what i just said is one too.

Jul 27, 2010 at 2:36:15 PM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
I don't give a crap if you think I'm polite or not.

What I consider impolite is the fact that in all your posts in this thread, you did not once answer the OP's original question of where was the most economical place to purchase a repro cart. You instead diverted into a discussion of the most economical way to play the games usually reserved for repro carts, along with starting a debate about the collectible nature of these carts. While this may be an interesting discussion at some other junction it in no way answers the question posed by the OP.

So, I am going to rise above your snarky "master debater" name you've called me by simply stating what you in fact are:

Troll.

Jul 27, 2010 at 2:43:28 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
You sound like as much fun as your avatar looks.

The OP's question was answered about 5 posts into the topic.

Everything else has been a discussion about other things. Threads evolve. Deal with it.

Jul 27, 2010 at 2:52:00 PM
tuxedocivic (94)
(Ryan Bouma) < Ridley Wrangler >
British Columbia
Arch, your argument is crap. I like the idea of collecting repros. And I won't use a power pak. You argued that because you can't get a complete set, then you can't collect repros. Hmm, I'm not going for a complete NES set, so I guess I'm not an NES collector. Your argument is worse than crap. If I could take your argument and put in on the ground. I would piss all over it's face and then take a giant dump on it. That's how worthless it is. Which surprises me, because you usually have valid arguments whether people here agree or not. But this one is just crap.

Jul 27, 2010 at 2:58:15 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: tuxedocivic

Arch, your argument is crap. I like the idea of collecting repros. And I won't use a power pak. You argued that because you can't get a complete set, then you can't collect repros. Hmm, I'm not going for a complete NES set, so I guess I'm not an NES collector. Your argument is worse than crap. If I could take your argument and put in on the ground. I would piss all over it's face and then take a giant dump on it. That's how worthless it is. Which surprises me, because you usually have valid arguments whether people here agree or not. But this one is just crap.

Well, that was probably not the best way to phrase my point.

My argument is that they lack the distinction of "being a collectible".  People collect plenty of things that aren't "collectible", sure, but just because someone collects toenail clippings, that doesn't make toenail clippings a collectible item.

Repros are no different than pirate carts of any other origin, since that's what they are.  They're dressed up, and generally nicely done, but they're still just bootlegs.