Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What's with the SMB 3 left bros. craze all of a sudden?

Sep 11 at 1:28:07 PM
JasonLives (2)
(Jason Crosby) < Little Mac >
Pennsylvania
It doesn't look like the flap version is noted on the WATA label.

edit - do they note the SMB oval flap variation on the WATA label?

-------------------------
ComicLink & CertifiedLink Auctions - Send me a DM if you are interested in consigning to our next auction, coming up in October.  Taking consignments now. 
http://www.comiclink.com

Now Playing: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PS4) / Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order (Switch)

Edited: 09/11/2019 at 01:30 PM by JasonLives

Sep 11 at 3:45:51 PM
DarkKobold (11)
< Meka Chicken >
Utah
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

It's easier to hype and flip something you can easily buy 200 copies of like Left Bros Mario 3 or Black Label Sonic 1 than something like Cheetahmen II where you can probably only buy 1-2 copies at all if you're going to try to hype it. It started with some nonsensical sales of mediocre graded copies on Heritage Auctions early this year unless I'm wrong. A CIB copy sold for $5k a few months ago.

I think it's a combination of speculators hoping games imitate comics (Hulk 181 is a dirt common book that sells for $1000s because people love Wolverine that much, plus it got hoarded to hell of course) and flippers taking advantage of the fact that only so many copies are for sale at a time, so by buying out Ebay they can make it look like Lefty Mario 3s are actually scarce when they're not at all.

The big difference here is they have to find people who "give a fuck" about left vs. right bros. Everyone cares about Wolverine, he's iconic. Left bros isn't iconic, it's just a print variant. I think they are desperate to turn things that aren't really all that special into something special that people will care about.

I think people who get caught up in this hype train are going to get burned. Manufactured hype only lasts so long. None of this feels genuine at all.

Sep 11 at 4:19:40 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: austin532

The left bros. is the first print so it's not a variant. 
Why does that make a difference to whether it’s a variant?

Sep 11 at 4:27:55 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: gunpei

I have a friend like this too, the frist print is the "original" and everything else is a variant. I'm on the everything is some kind of variant train (and Famicom is the firstest first print baby!).

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Sep 11 at 5:02:48 PM
austin532 (91)
(Mike ) < El Ripper >
Arizona
I consider a "variant" to be exactly that. A variation of the original print. Meaning there is a noticable visual difference somewhere on the package. If someone wants to call the left bros. a variant that's perfectly fine but to me it's not.

My Ultimate 100% CIB NES Collector's Guide
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

NES, SNES, + misc. stuff for sale here

Sep 11 at 6:10:56 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Um... so... how is is it not "a noticeable visual difference on the package"?

Sep 11 at 6:34:06 PM
austin532 (91)
(Mike ) < El Ripper >
Arizona
What?

My Ultimate 100% CIB NES Collector's Guide

NES, SNES, + misc. stuff for sale here

Sep 11 at 6:53:28 PM
NesQuest (7)
< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: DarkKobold

Originally posted by: DefaultGen

It's easier to hype and flip something you can easily buy 200 copies of like Left Bros Mario 3 or Black Label Sonic 1 than something like Cheetahmen II where you can probably only buy 1-2 copies at all if you're going to try to hype it. It started with some nonsensical sales of mediocre graded copies on Heritage Auctions early this year unless I'm wrong. A CIB copy sold for $5k a few months ago.

I think it's a combination of speculators hoping games imitate comics (Hulk 181 is a dirt common book that sells for $1000s because people love Wolverine that much, plus it got hoarded to hell of course) and flippers taking advantage of the fact that only so many copies are for sale at a time, so by buying out Ebay they can make it look like Lefty Mario 3s are actually scarce when they're not at all.

The big difference here is they have to find people who "give a fuck" about left vs. right bros. Everyone cares about Wolverine, he's iconic. Left bros isn't iconic, it's just a print variant. I think they are desperate to turn things that aren't really all that special into something special that people will care about.

I think people who get caught up in this hype train are going to get burned. Manufactured hype only lasts so long. None of this feels genuine at all.

But it’s not just a print variant.  There are differences in the verbiage during the game (such as in the mini game where you line up the star, mushroom or fire flower to get 1 ups).  The early version had some grammatical errors.

Sep 11 at 11:38:38 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
I just want to say that about a year or so ago, I asked around trying to get a gem mint CIB copy of this version because I simply like first run variants and SMB3 is my favorite NES game.

I never managed to get a copy and now all of this hype makes me sad. Hopefully the bubble will burst and prices will get back to reasonable. :/

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Sep 12 at 7:15:33 AM
Filter81 (1)

< Tourian Tourist >
If you took a poll and asked what the best NES game of all time is there's a chance the #1 answer would be Super Mario 3.  I think what's happening is there are a lot of people coming into the hobby and most of them want to get a SMB 3.  And they are all being told the left bros is better.  The game may be common but there are a lot of new people coming into this hobby and there are only so many copies available on eBay at any one time.  Plus I think the $5000 sale has distorted prices on that game a little bit.    Also I've lost count of how many times someone has told me that SMB 3 is the Hulk 181 of video games.  I'm sure I'm not the only person crossing over from comics to get the same advice.  

I think old school video game collectors are underestimating how real the new demand for these games is, but I also think most people coming into the market don't truly understand the supply.  (I don't think even most people that have been collecting games for years truly understand the supply on some of these games once you start breaking it down by sealed/grade/print run etc)  There may be more buyers than sellers today on SMB 3 left bros but there are a lot copies out there and that may not last.  Someone who doesn't care about condition and wants to buy a SMB 3 left bros may be better off waiting a little bit.  

A little off topic, but where I think the left bros really matters is on sealed copies.  Most sealed copies are store overstock.  Usually the early versions (left bros) were sold out and almost every sealed copy I've seen is a right bros.  On those the ratio of left bros to right bros is way smaller than even CIB I think.  That's where you would have a game that is both in demand and rare.   If a high grade sealed left bros SMB 3 came to auction I think the final sale price would really surprise people.

I also think video game collectors don't put enough emphasis on how much condition can affect price.  There are absolutely SMB 3 CIBs worth $300.  The game may be common, but try to find a left bros in true mint condition... that's hard to do!  Anyone who wants to sell a mint condition left bros for $300, send me a PM! I'll pay more than that!   But a mint copy being worth a certain price doesn't mean some copy on eBay missing a box flap and creased to heck is now also worth $300.  I think there is a lot of confusion at the moment and it's causing some very high (and very low) Buy It Now prices on eBay.  

Sep 12 at 8:05:42 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
I'm not going to justify these prices but keep in mind that some of the most common GB carts are Pokemon Red and Blue, yet they can still go for $20-30 because Pokemon craze never dies.

Just because something is common doesn't mean if can't hold value. If demand remains higher than supply, price will state high. Yes, this is common, but if video game collecting becomes the new hot collector scene, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some common games maintain prices that are crazy to those of us that have been around a while. The supply is't going to change and I highly doubt someone is going to stumble upon a huge warehouse lot of 10k sealed copies so as long as the collecting scene picks up new collectors and the community at large idolizes specific games, prices will remain "unreasonable".

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Sep 12 at 10:29:26 AM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama

In order for something to be a variant, it has to be a variant of something else. In this case, we talk about variants of the original first print so a first print can't be a variant of itself.

Sep 12 at 11:25:21 AM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >

What?

I consider a "variant" to be exactly that. A variation of the original print. Meaning there is a noticable visual difference somewhere on the package
The text of part of the title was moved. That is a noticable visual difference somewhere on the package.

Sep 12 at 12:15:14 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
What?

I consider a "variant" to be exactly that. A variation of the original print. Meaning there is a noticable visual difference somewhere on the package
The text of part of the title was moved. That is a noticable visual difference somewhere on the package.

He's pointing out that the Bros text was originally on the left and later moved to the right.  This technically makes all the much more commonly seen versions the variants, although they aren't seen that way due to outnumbering the original release by a large margin.  While most folks would consider left-Bros to be a variant since it's not commonly seen, it's actually the original/"normal" one, with the later ones varying from this.  Clear now?   

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Sep 12 at 12:32:02 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
If you think that's bad, check out the retail version of Sonic the Hedgehog.

It seems to have plateaued to around $50-$60 in some instances, but some copies are still going for double that.

3 digits for a common game is just so damn stupid. Yeah, it's not as common as the NFR one, but that's because it was a pack-in game.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Sep 12 at 1:27:46 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

What?

I think he is saying it's not a variant because it's the original, not because the difference isn't notable enough.  

In my mind, it's still a variant.  It's just that it's the original variant of the various releases.  

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Sep 12 at 1:34:21 PM
1upped (40)
(A S) < El Ripper >
United States
In the sealed collecting circles, the "left" Bros has been known and coveted for a very long time. Sealed, they are nearly non-existent. I can't speak to the CIB, but I would agree with some of the above comments in that it will always be a desired game, no matter which version.

Are you clever enough to unravel the mystery of Clu Clu land?

Sep 12 at 2:33:54 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: TDIRunner
What?

I think he is saying it's not a variant because it's the original, not because the difference isn't notable enough.  

In my mind, it's still a variant.  It's just that it's the original variant of the various releases.  

Except, where it's the first release, it's not really a "variant," it's the baseline.  It's only become considered a "variant" because it's seen less these days than the later copies, which became more numerous and became 'the norm."  I guess you could consider all versions of games which have multiple versions available variants, but typically the "variant" will be later versions which change something from the original release (such as rev -1, -2, etc.).

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Sep 12 at 3:14:36 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Originally posted by: darkchylde28
Clear now?   
Yes, thank you. 
I will just say “version” to avoid any of this. 

Sep 12 at 3:55:30 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
I'll call it a variant despite it being the first release or not.

Come at me, scrublords.  

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Sep 12 at 6:48:09 PM
NesQuest (7)
< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: 1upped

In the sealed collecting circles, the "left" Bros has been known and coveted for a very long time. Sealed, they are nearly non-existent. I can't speak to the CIB, but I would agree with some of the above comments in that it will always be a desired game, no matter which version.
Agree here.  I’ve attempted to locate an affordable sealed copy for some time.  Have come up empty.  I had all the right elements and settled on a crappy old rental box to complete it.  I love the old rental stuff anyway, so it doesn’t bug  me out too much!

Sep 13 at 8:23:31 PM
Jim Jimmer (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec
A bit off topic but on super mario bros 3 can someone shed some light on the right bros with the mexico nfr sticker seal? What is it exactly? Where's it from? This stuff is confusing !