Sep 06 at 5:21:26 PM
final fight cd (57)
(serious mustache ) < Meka Chicken >
Ohio
I wata a side job or a full time gig?

Sep 06 at 11:17:36 PM
NesQuest (7)
< Crack Trooper >
So it sounds like it is taking 4-5 months for the game to actually be graded and then up to another month to have it shipped.

Do I pretty much have that timeline correct at the moment? It's basically 5-6 month turnaround?

Sep 11 at 11:40:47 PM
ExplodedHamster (183)
(Joe Dirt) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: NesQuest

So it sounds like it is taking 4-5 months for the game to actually be graded and then up to another month to have it shipped.

Do I pretty much have that timeline correct at the moment? It's basically 5-6 month turnaround?

It has been, but it will start to speed up now, as they have another full time employee on finally, and are getting additional help, as well. More grader(s) likely coming soon, too.

The reason so many games have yet to ship is one of their case part manufacturers has fucked them repeatedly. Hopefully they get this run out and find someone else for this part. Once this part is in stock en masse, they’ll have thousands of cases ready to ship games, which will mean faster turnaround times, as well as time to find alternatives, if need be.

Edited: 09/11/2019 at 11:41 PM by ExplodedHamster

Sep 12 at 10:39:21 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
To my knowledge none of that information has been publicly released by the company. The 17th will be my 2 month anniversary of submitting a 15 day game.

Great guys, terrible PR at this point.

They hired a social media guy. He should be hyping everything great about the company and also addressing the wide spread delays and the reasons we should be reassured that it's not going to be a problem in the future.

Edit:  Updated timelines have been posted on facebook yesterday.  Copy job below:

Hello again. Many of you have had a chance to submit games to us. Those that have not, please take some time and check out the website. There are four different tiers that we offer, each with different time expectations:

Select: Select is the least expensive tier we offer. Initially we offered a 45 day turnaround time. With the backlog being what it is at the moment, Select orders may have to wait months. The preliminary expectation of 45 business days is without any sort of backlog or delays. If you need your games with any real time frame at this time, you will have to choose one of the other tiers.

Turbo: Turbo orders have a preliminary expectation of 15 business days. With certain backlogs, they unfortunately can be a month or two behind as well.

Speed Run: Even with a backlog, the 5 business day expectation is usually spot on. These submissions may be a few days behind.

Warp Zone: Warp Zones are almost always processed same day.

Thanks again for your continued patience as we continue to work relentlessly to get your gems back in your hands.

Double Edit:  To my knowledge, this is the first time they have publicly used "business days" in regards to their turn around time.

-------------------------
Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Edited: 09/12/2019 at 10:46 AM by MrMark0673

Sep 12 at 10:53:57 AM
BreaKBeatZ (59)
< Lolo Lord >
District of Columbia
Originally posted by: Sign Collector Guy

Wanted to pass along some communication I have seen from the Wata FB in the last 24 hours.....

Recent Wata Posts in the last 24 hours via Facebook on 9/5

Hello everyone, this is Deniz Kahn. Things are cranking up here at Wata and we have a backlog of games to grade and send out. As you can imagine, we have put all of our resources to working through them all and as a result we have focused on both grading and shipping a substantial amount of games each day, albeit to the detriment of our social media and email management. I would like to personally apologize for not only the delay but the lack of communication. Our customers are incredibly important to us and your patience and patronage means the world to us. As such, we are adding more people to the Wata team; one of them is our new social media person, Bryan, who is going to man our social media accounts. Bryan will be able to answer questions regularly and accurately, and will be able to funnel requests to the proper channels when required. We have more people coming on board to help with the operations and are committed to working around the clock (literally) so that we can minimize our backlog and get your orders completed as soon as possible.

We are committed to providing you the same quality in service and product that we have stood by since day one. Thank you to everyone who's sending us games and more importantly thank you all for your patience during this exciting time of growth.

2nd Post----

I see a lot of concern with delays, we are working our best to address all of your concerns. Here are some Do's and Don'ts that will assist in preventing further delays.

Do's and Don'ts:

DO:

1) Please pack your games with Scotch Tape (or no tape) so that we can unpack easily without having to worry about damaging the item.

2) Please put your submission form in the box with your games. If we do not have your order number at minimum, there will be a delay in processing your order.

DON'T:

1) Do not DROP SHIP your games to us. Wata will no longer process drop shipped games. There are several reasons for this. First of all, people sometimes think that Wata Games purchased the games which is actually against Wata policy. Wata does not buy or sell games. The second reason is that it is difficult to track down who actually owns the items. If there is no submission form or order number in the box, then it takes a lot of time and effort on our part which slows down the processing of all orders. This creates a major delay.

2) Do not overpack your games and then tape with heavy packing tape. It is very difficult to unpack these as we have to be extra careful to not damage the games while getting the tape off. This is why we prefer Scotch Tape.

3) Do not send in any oversized games. Take the time to refer to our FAQ for what games we can currently grade. If you send in something oversized or odd, you will have to wait until we can encapsulate it.

4) Do not add a note to the order if it's something we need to know early in the process. The notes are only for the graders and they're not seen until grading. For example, if you want us to make a note of something before grading, please put a note on the game itself.

5) Do not ask us "pre-grade" crossovers. If you submit a game that's encapsulated by another grading company, we really cannot accurately assess any flaws, condition, or authenticity without removing the game from the case. We can and will safely remove the game but please do not ask for any kind of accurate assessment beforehand.

6) Do not ask us to "pre-screen" orders. Do not submit five examples of something and say, "please choose the best one." This may be a service we offer later but at this point, with our current backlog it's not something we can offer.

Like many here, I also like WATA but I'm frustrated with a lot of the things they are doing.

How about hiring a an employee that contributes to your product instead of a PR manager? Good service is much better PR than some guy hyping up the company on social media.

I want to protect my games when shipping. It's crazy that they will delay grading a game because they don't want to "waste their time" carefully opening a game that has been packed with heavy tape.

Sep 12 at 11:09:26 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: BreaKBeatZ

I want to protect my games when shipping. It's crazy that they will delay grading a game because they don't want to "waste their time" carefully opening a game that has been packed with heavy tape.
Well there's packing, secure packing, and then over packing.  I use clear packing tape but it's the $1.25 roll from Wal-mart that is very easy to peel off.  I don't use the heavy duty packaging tape that is reinforced with threads and a pain to remove. 

You have to think of it from their POV though.  If you're getting hundreds of packages a day, an extra 5-10 minutes to unpack a box can add up to an entire day of labor.  

They also aren't the only company do this.  When you sub a card to PSA, they only accept their holder (that they'll sell you), or one that you can buy from eBay.  They don't accept screwdowns, toploaders, etc.  They will literally charge you for shipping both ways and send it back if you pack it improperly.  When companies get big they have to become as efficient as possible due to volume. 

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Edited: 09/12/2019 at 11:10 AM by jonebone

Sep 12 at 11:45:37 AM
BreaKBeatZ (59)
< Lolo Lord >
District of Columbia
Originally posted by: jonebone

Well there's packing, secure packing, and then over packing.  I use clear packing tape but it's the $1.25 roll from Wal-mart that is very easy to peel off.  I don't use the heavy duty packaging tape that is reinforced with threads and a pain to remove. 

You have to think of it from their POV though.  If you're getting hundreds of packages a day, an extra 5-10 minutes to unpack a box can add up to an entire day of labor.  

They also aren't the only company do this.  When you sub a card to PSA, they only accept their holder (that they'll sell you), or one that you can buy from eBay.  They don't accept screwdowns, toploaders, etc.  They will literally charge you for shipping both ways and send it back if you pack it improperly.  When companies get big they have to become as efficient as possible due to volume. 

Their time management just doesn't make any sense to me. They are telling you that they will delay grading of a game if it has heavy packing tape. Opening and grading that game is going to take X amount of time no matter what. Delaying that X amount of time to a later date won't change the aggregate work they need to complete.

MrMark's post above is another example of poor time management. They are prioritizing higher service levels above others. I understand that's the whole point of paying extra for faster grading, but all customers should experience a similar delay.  For example, if 15 day grading is taking 45 days, 5 day grading should be taking 15, and 1 day grading should be taking 3. If they always commit to completing 1 day submissions above all else, the 15 and 45 day submissions could stay on the backburner forever.

I also wish they would update their website with actual turnaround times instead of just posting about it on Facebook.

Sep 12 at 12:19:46 PM
Maertens29 (61)
< Lolo Lord >
Saskatchewan

Like a standard, Hard plastic top-loader they won't accept?  Is there a reason behind that?

I'm looking for a mint, factory sealed Dragon Ball Advanced for gameboy advance, let me know!

Sep 13 at 12:51:02 PM
startyde (3)
< Eggplant Wizard >
United States

Youre a PSA guy? Why not Beckett. Subs son!!

Sep 13 at 1:34:42 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

To my knowledge none of that information has been publicly released by the company. The 17th will be my 2 month anniversary of submitting a 15 day game.

They hired a social media guy. He should be hyping everything great about the company and also addressing the wide spread delays and the reasons we should be reassured that it's not going to be a problem in the future.

Edit:  Updated timelines have been posted on facebook yesterday.  Copy job below:

Hello again. Many of you have had a chance to submit games to us. Those that have not, please take some time and check out the website. There are four different tiers that we offer, each with different time expectations:

Select: Select is the least expensive tier we offer. Initially we offered a 45 day turnaround time. With the backlog being what it is at the moment, Select orders may have to wait months. The preliminary expectation of 45 business days is without any sort of backlog or delays. If you need your games with any real time frame at this time, you will have to choose one of the other tiers.

Turbo: Turbo orders have a preliminary expectation of 15 business days. With certain backlogs, they unfortunately can be a month or two behind as well.

Speed Run: Even with a backlog, the 5 business day expectation is usually spot on. These submissions may be a few days behind.

Thanks again for your continued patience as we continue to work relentlessly to get your gems back in your hands.

Double Edit:  To my knowledge, this is the first time they have publicly used "business days" in regards to their turn around time.

None of these are guaranteed so what I'm reading is this:
Select = unknown
Turbo = unknown
Speed Run = unknown
Warp Zone = unknown

The only thing I can see is the unknown times for some are an unknown period of time shorter than the other unknown times. Probably.

Sep 13 at 3:05:11 PM
final fight cd (57)
Ohio
I don't understand why a game could take months to grade and there be a huge backlog. Is this a side job for the employees and they are doing it in their spare time? Are they waiting on the plastic cases to encase the games? What I'm the hell takes so long to grade a game?

Sep 13 at 3:37:53 PM
Jim Jimmer (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec
^ well my understanding is that they are in shortage of plastic cases (as explodedhamster mentionned above) but i have not confirmed that.

The second part is that they are likely absolutely inundated with average looking CIB titles of hot games given the craze and hype at the moment. If they graded only sealed games no way there would be this bad a backlog. But when relatively common stuff all of a sudden is worth 2-3-5-10x the going rate of 6 months ago, you can be damn sure that everyone and their dog will try to cash in on this.

Can't blame them for not anticipating this, but sure as hell can blame them for not managing it properly. Like at all...

I have yet to get my first order back from april graded let alone shipped, so until i see my games in hand im not sending anything their way. Its annoying but not unheard of.

Edited: 09/13/2019 at 03:38 PM by Jim Jimmer

Sep 14 at 2:03:12 PM
GPX (1)

< Meka Chicken >
I haven't submitted any games to WATA as yet. Though I think the negative of current long waiting times will likely become a positive in that it might put off the casual collector submitting in the common stuff and/or common average condition. Otherwise, it ain't gonna be fun seeing so many CIB Marios WATA 7.5 +/- C (if sealed)!

Sep 16 at 1:38:50 PM
NesQuest (7)
< Crack Trooper >
Still no responses to any of my inquiries. Still trying to be patient, but it's about as thin as it's going to get.

Sep 16 at 1:51:51 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
Got a shipping notice email from them today, one day shy of my 2 month.

It has a blurb asking anyone overly satisfied with their experience to share on Social Media or NintendoAge and links to the "Show off your WATA certified games" thread.

Photobucket

Sep 16 at 5:17:26 PM
startyde (3)
< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Originally posted by: bootload

Select = unknown
Turbo = unknown
Speed Run = unknown
Warp Zone = unknown

The only thing I can see is the unknown times for some are an unknown period of time shorter than the other unknown times. Probably.

It's worth pointing out they have disabled the 5 day turnaround for months now, so I'm not sure why they are even commenting on Speed Run tier.

So the current pricing model is $75.00 per game = get it graded in 48 hours.

Anything less = months of no updates.

I just got my 1st submission back today. The first received it July 5th and I paid for 15 day tier, so about 10 week turnaround. I wouldn't send anything to Wata fot quite a while unless time literally means nothing to you, unless using one day turnaround. 

Edited: 09/16/2019 at 05:18 PM by startyde

Sep 16 at 5:57:11 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: startyde

Originally posted by: bootload

Select = unknown
Turbo = unknown
Speed Run = unknown
Warp Zone = unknown

It's worth pointing out they have disabled the 5 day turnaround for months now, so I'm not sure why they are even commenting on Speed Run tier.

So the current pricing model is $75.00 per game = get it graded in 48 hours.

Anything less = months of no updates.

I just got my 1st submission back today. The first received it July 5th and I paid for 15 day tier, so about 10 week turnaround. I wouldn't send anything to Wata fot quite a while unless time literally means nothing to you, unless using one day turnaround. 

I honestly don't fully understand the pricing model of "Warp Zone" as it is laid out on the Wata site.  What does +$50 to "base price" mean?  Does that mean add $50 to the "Select" price?

That can't be right though, can it?  That would mean a CIB game at "Speed Run" would be $85 and the same game for "Warp Zone" would only be $90 (Select $40 plus Warp Zone $50).

I know you said that Speed Run has been disabled for quite some time (I had no idea, haven't seen them discuss it anywhere other than an updated turn around time on a tier that is apparently inexcessible), but $5 to save many days seems like it renders Speed Run useless anyway.

I think I'm near done trying to make sense of any of it.  I'll be happy to get my game back and then assess whether I'll use them again.  My only interest in the service is for flipping games at a premium, so we'll see if the premium (if any) is worth ignoring all of the shortcomings of the company.

Photobucket

Sep 16 at 5:58:18 PM
NesQuest (7)
< Crack Trooper >
I wouldn't send anything to them, period. Wata's customer service isn't just bad.....it is nonexistent.

It should disable all of the plans on the site for the time being and charge a "we'll get to it when we get to it" flat rate.

Sep 16 at 9:49:12 PM
Jim Jimmer (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec
I wasnt around then but in the earlyish days of VGA didnt they get clogged with submissions and fell behind as well? I think i remember reading people complaining about turnaround times in the « sealed collecting questions » thread. So i guess its not the first time this happens and last i checked people are still sending games to vga.

Wata will get their sh!t in order, but in the interim at least answering to emails would be a bare minimum...

Sep 16 at 10:28:05 PM
startyde (3)
< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Originally posted by: Jim Jimmer

I wasnt around then but in the earlyish days of VGA didnt they get clogged with submissions and fell behind as well? I think i remember reading people complaining about turnaround times in the « sealed collecting questions » thread. So i guess its not the first time this happens and last i checked people are still sending games to vga.

Wata will get their sh!t in order, but in the interim at least answering to emails would be a bare minimum...

I have been grading with AFA and VGA since the beginning and I dont remember the huge delays youre speaking of, not to the magnitude of 2 to 3 times expected wait time Wata has. Regardless, VGA has always answered my questions within 24 hours. As someone who works in a technical field which requires a rsponse in under an hour, Wata going off the grid for weeks, even months, is unacceptable on every level.

Edited: 09/16/2019 at 10:28 PM by startyde

Sep 16 at 11:27:06 PM
phart010 (8)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Wata: there's a little yellow book called 'The Service Pro'

Seriously go read it

Edited: 09/16/2019 at 11:29 PM by phart010

Sep 17 at 4:39:14 AM
final fight cd (57)
Ohio
why did it seem everybody jumped VGA's ship and went to wata? what did wata initial offer that VGA didn't?

Sep 17 at 6:19:55 AM
Jim Jimmer (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec
Originally posted by: startyde

Originally posted by: Jim Jimmer

I have been grading with AFA and VGA since the beginning and I dont remember the huge delays youre speaking of, not to the magnitude of 2 to 3 times expected wait time Wata has. Regardless, VGA has always answered my questions within 24 hours. As someone who works in a technical field which requires a rsponse in under an hour, Wata going off the grid for weeks, even months, is unacceptable on every level.

Damn i didnt realize delays were 2-3 times, maybe for select tier, but i got my grades in 4 weeks on turbo when they say 15biz days. Its the shipping back that pushed the delay to 2x though.

In any event i agree 100% on not amswering emails. Unacceptable. I do hope that new guy they hired fixes this. 

Edited: 09/17/2019 at 06:42 PM by Jim Jimmer

Sep 17 at 6:41:05 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: final fight cd

why did it seem everybody jumped VGA's ship and went to wata? what did wata initial offer that VGA didn't?
Half of the executive team is composed of long time NA members/former mods/current Admin, so there was a sense of loyality and faith that they'd take care of the community.

The advisory board is further made up of current and past NA members/mods/admin, so again, it's the familiarity and loyalty that plays big into it.

Jim Halperin is on the advisory board and he is the co-founder of Heritage Auctions.  The "$100k" Mario sale put a lot of new eyes on WATA, and the game was sold on Heritage Auctions to a group that included Jim and by a different member of the Heritage advisory board

So, for those playing at home:

The game was owned by a WATA advisor
Sold on a platform co-created by a different WATA advisor
To a group of individuals including that same WATA advisor

The marketing strategy clearly worked, as the price of early black box games shot through the roof on Heritage.  With Heritage reserving video game listings to (almost) exclusively WATA graded games, they created a "need" for WATA grading.

If you want to sell what was once perceived as an incredibly common game for a mark up for thousands upon thousands more than what the game was "worth" just a few months ago you have to use both WATA as a grading service and Heritage as a sales service.

From a business stand point, they played it out beautifully.

Photobucket

Sep 17 at 6:54:47 AM
AtariJay (0)
(jbob h) < Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Originally posted by: final fight cd

Massive auction house ending prices