Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

So I finally made a decision on what portable Nintendo handheld I should buy after months of research

May 03 at 10:22:07 AM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: Gloves

Seems like overkill considering basically anyone would tell you to go with that system lol. The primary downside to it is the form factor if you have big hands. My hands aren't huge but I still find it pretty uncomfortable overall. Hopefully you did a hands on with the console before running out and buying a sealed one to open up (which in itself seems to be, again, overkill).
On the contray, everywhere I looked people were saying the ags-001 is good and then they would do a pause for effect and slide the 101 into frame, click the light as if they were in the game of thrones and a king was to be crowned. It took me a while to decide. I still think that the gameboy color and the ags-001 are the best overall. And i wouldn't have an issue with people that like the gbc over everything. You can find sealed gameboy colors for about the same price as a sealed ags-001. 

Edited: 05/03/2019 at 10:22 AM by 14u2ponder

May 03 at 11:16:23 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: 14u2ponder

Seems like overkill considering basically anyone would tell you to go with that system lol. The primary downside to it is the form factor if you have big hands. My hands aren't huge but I still find it pretty uncomfortable overall. Hopefully you did a hands on with the console before running out and buying a sealed one to open up (which in itself seems to be, again, overkill).
On the contray, everywhere I looked people were saying the ags-001 is good and then they would do a pause for effect and slide the 101 into frame, click the light as if they were in the game of thrones and a king was to be crowned. It took me a while to decide. I still think that the gameboy color and the ags-001 are the best overall. And i wouldn't have an issue with people that like the gbc over everything. You can find sealed gameboy colors for about the same price as a sealed ags-001. 

I have a 101 and I legit never use the brighter light. Only reason I have a 101 in the first place is that it's the only pikachu GBA sp and I kinda sorta collect the Pikachu consoles (but not really, I only have 3 or 4). The brighter light I'd only use if I was playing in a park in the middle of the day but who the hell does that?

-------------------------

May 03 at 11:36:06 AM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: TheLarch

Right on man.

You think I made the right choice?

Always been my favourite pre-DS model, for the reasons you mentioned.

I know some people don't like it because of the button layout and getting cramped up playing it but I never had much of an issue.

Only other similar option is the Micro.

Which was gonna be my suggestion. Absolutely love the micro, such an incredibly crisp screen for such a small system.

www.videogamesage.com...

May 03 at 12:45:10 PM
phart010 (8)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: ZBomber

Originally posted by: Archangel3090

hahaha good work. i opted for my perfect gameboy for the regular gameboy advance (not the clam shell) the screen sucks but i had it modded with an ags 101 screen. the sp is just a little too compact for me, fingers cramped up....age lol

I've had the same issue with the SP, even when I was a teenager. I much prefer the design of the GBC and original GBA. However, without modding, the GBA SP is probably the best way to go for the screen, game compatability and back/front light.

My dad ended up with such bad "Nintendo Thumb" from the SP that he actually had to have surgery on the sleeve around the tendons on BOTH thumbs.

They are definitely not ergonomic for large hands.

Slip the sp into a grip and the whole cramped hand problem goes away. Don’t know why these things weren’t more popular 

Edited: 05/03/2019 at 12:46 PM by phart010

May 03 at 3:21:34 PM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >
I bought my first Gameboy Advance Game: a sealed copy of Drill Dozer for $75!

Good start? Or what would be your first GBA game?

May 03 at 4:50:52 PM
NESfiend (25)
(Travis ) < El Ripper >
Missouri
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

You spent months figuring out what Game Boy to buy?

God help you if you ever are in the market to buy a house.  Er, assuming you haven't already.  Who am I to say.

I was actually thinking that I recently bought a car and didnt put nearly this much thought into it. House buy was probably on par with this write up. Maybe I severely under think things

May 03 at 11:35:53 PM
Yelir (28)
(Riley Gallant) < El Ripper >
Alberta

Ouch on the price! What genre of games are your favorite? I would probably pick an RPG first for the GBA, either Golden Sun or Mother3.  

May 03 at 11:55:16 PM
VGS_OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
Originally posted by: Quaze

Right on man.

You think I made the right choice?

Always been my favourite pre-DS model, for the reasons you mentioned.

I know some people don't like it because of the button layout and getting cramped up playing it but I never had much of an issue.

Only other similar option is the Micro.

Which was gonna be my suggestion. Absolutely love the micro, such an incredibly crisp screen for such a small system.

I can't even with the GBA micro, the screen is WAY too small for my liking. I can literally feel my eyes collapsing in on themselves as I try to focus on the tiny screen. Of course, as a huge VB fan your eyes must be superhumanly powerful by this point, so maybe that's not an issue for you, lol!

I would probably sell my GBA micro cause I never use it and I know they go for a lot. BUT, it is by far the coolest looking Game Boy ever made, so I reckon I'll keep it!

www.videogamesage.com...

May 04 at 12:03:02 AM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: Yelir

Ouch on the price! What genre of games are your favorite? I would probably pick an RPG first for the GBA, either Golden Sun or Mother3.  
I like a lot of stuff honestly. Today I also bought a CIB LIKE NEW copy of Shamus for the gameboy color for $15. I just love the retro graphics of older games, and I like Gauntlett-style games.

I have a lot of rpgs already, but I'm not a big fan of traditional rpgs as much as the more puzzle style. I have Earthbound, RoboTrek (CIB, with a reg card NICE), Wizardry V (CIB), Sword of Hope (CIB, GB) Star Wars (CIB, GB), Empire (CIB, GB), Final Fantasy Adventure (CIB), Great Greed, James Bond 007 (GB), Link's Awkening, Gargoyle's Quest (GB).
As you can see, I have a pretty nice collection of rpgs for my system.
But I do like interesting puzzle type games and platformers. Like Battle Bull, Kid Icarus, Elevator Action (I really want a CIB verison of Pyrimids of Ra, if I could find one for under $100).
These are the types of games I like. I love interesting platformers such as Wendy every witch way, for example. I am still looking for a cheaper copy of Avenging Spirit, Kid Dracula, Bubble Ghost, CIB Balloon Kid. That kid of stuff.

I almost bought a nice copy of River City Ransom EX just because of the graphic style and the similarity to Soul Blazer (in a sense, I forgot I have Soul Blazer, too). There are not too many more pure rpgs that I want. I am more trying to focus on interesting puzzle games and unqiue platformers. River City Ransom is a break from what I normally collect for since it is techically a beatem up. I also looked at Gun Star Heros. But I fell in love with Drill Dozer.      

Edited: 05/04/2019 at 02:45 PM by 14u2ponder

May 04 at 12:08:31 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

My first GBA game was FF Dawn of Souls. I'm a pretty big FF fan so it was bound to happen. My first NEW game purchase though (from a store, sealed) was Minish Cap (FF was used, cart only).

Are you buying sealed to open and play? And if so, any particular reason outside of "I wanna be the first to touch it"? Condition isn't a great argument for buying sealed since there are plenty minty CIBs for most games, especially if you have the cash anyway.

May 04 at 12:13:03 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
This took months?

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

May 04 at 12:22:08 AM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >

My first GBA game was FF Dawn of Souls. I'm a pretty big FF fan so it was bound to happen. My first NEW game purchase though (from a store, sealed) was Minish Cap (FF was used, cart only). Are you buying sealed to open and play? And if so, any particular reason outside of "I wanna be the first to touch it"? Condition isn't a great argument for buying sealed since there are plenty minty CIBs for most games, especially if you have the cash anyway.
I've been buying sealed when I can, and I will open them to play them. But in general, I only buy sealed games if I can get them for under a $100. I most like to buy ones that are LIKE NEW, and I avoid box games if they are terrible boxes.

I still haven't really decided on what my consistent strategy should be. I know that I cannot collect only boxed versions due to price and availabilty. I was at one time trying to buy game + manual, but that is unsatisfying to me, since I store my manuals away after I buy them and get no pleasure in knowing that I have them.
I was thinking tonight that I would focus on boxed games that have cool minimlistic art on them (boxes that speak to me) rather than just buying a box because boxes versions are better. So I'm still up in the air on how I want to do it. I think puzzle game boxes look really nice and they are cheaper for the most part so I might try that.

May 04 at 12:23:18 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

to open? Is there a reason for that? could have saved like 40 just getting it used.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

May 04 at 12:34:09 AM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: quest4nes

to open? Is there a reason for that? could have saved like 40 just getting it used.

Why not 10?
But but it's 11.

All I can say is that I have a problem with boxed copies. A really worn-out box holds zero value to me and I thought $75 was reasonable. Even when I open it I won't lose money on it. In a general sense. It will be worth more than $75 if and when I sell it (which I probably wont ever sell it). Again, I don't buy sealed games in general but I thought Drill Dozer was worth it so I did it. 

Edited: 05/04/2019 at 12:34 AM by 14u2ponder

May 04 at 12:51:50 AM
VGS_OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Dude has money to burn and endless time to make his purchasing decisions, living life like a freaking boss!  

www.videogamesage.com...

May 04 at 12:58:13 AM
VGS_OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Btw, if you like puzzle games you should try Denki Blocks. It's probably my favourite puzzle game on GBA!

www.videogamesage.com...

May 04 at 9:10:02 AM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I like a worn out box, don't feel as bad diggin in there for the goods.

What's a gameboy?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

May 12 at 9:35:01 AM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >
So update: I just received my gameboy advanced sp ags-001 and unboxed it and it was perfect. I am so happy with this system. In fact, the game with light in the house, can be played and seen nearly as good as without the front line on at all, and drill dozer is a GREAT GAME.
Not to mention that OG gameboy games are fantastic looking with the "grey", black n white hue option.

The screen is hard to keep smudge free, but you don't see it when playing the game. Any advance as to keeping the system protected?

May 12 at 10:13:50 AM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >
I also just bought egg mania!!!!! I can't wait to play that game!