Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Best venue to sell a Serial 353 NES

Jun 29 at 11:04:32 AM
josie (0)

< Cherub >
Hi guys.  I'm trying to get some suggestions on where to sell a test market Serial No. 353 NES system.  I really have no idea how I should go about it.  I found it in a home I purchased along with several other vintage game systems (CollecoVision, Odyssey, Atari).  Can anybody give me an idea where I should sell this stuff.  Should I just put it up on Ebay as an auction?  I really appreciate any input.

Jun 29 at 11:22:50 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Ebay you might get a bit more in an open auction, but you deal with fees and possibly scammers.

Here we have a tighter knit community, but most arent willing to pay the max retail. What are you looking to get?

Jun 29 at 11:26:34 AM
josie (0)

< Cherub >
I have no clue--just found it in a house and want to know best place to sell it!

Jun 29 at 3:37:16 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Hi Price charting has a test market that sold for $475 but the number was wayyyyyy higher like 56,000 or so. https://www.pricecharting.com/gam...

As MrWunderful said eBay will net you more since they reach more people but the higher it sells for the higher your fees. I'd try to sell it here first, then local ads, then eBay. NES prices are coming down from a market perspective but I think you could easily get $600-$900? Maybe even more since it is so low. Keep in mind it isn't 001 or anything like that though.

There are more senior people here that know more than me so I'd be interested in their pricing as I could be way off.

edit: wow after looking at the sold ROB sets on eBay even with boxes and all that Jazz I may need to lower that value to more like 450-700 or so. Selling Nintendo’s ain’t what it was last year for sure. 

Edited: 06/29/2019 at 03:44 PM by a3quit4s

Jun 29 at 6:31:24 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
9329 sold Complete In Box for $511 plus shipping

Jun 29 at 6:33:53 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
I would personally put it up for 1999.99 eBay but it now and work from there. 353 is a significantly low number and a nice premium would be paid for it no doubt.

Jun 29 at 7:39:13 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: josie

I have no clue--just found it in a house and want to know best place to sell it!
Every market for it will have advantages and disadvantages.

Are you looking for maximum dollars or a hassle free sale?

Jun 30 at 7:52:14 AM
josie (0)

< Cherub >
I appreciate everyone's input! I'm not sure that a value can be placed on it as it is unusual (I may be wrong as I know nothing about NES values). Could it be high enough that a toy auctioneer may agree to sell it or is Ebay the best option? I thank pats1717 for the suggestion of $1,999 price but I'm just not sure if it is best to start with a number or to let the market set its price in an auction. Value on the web is nonexistent for a low serial number NES. In answer to Tulpa's question, maximum dollar is my goal. So my big question is where to sell it--what venue would get the highest dollar? Thank you pats171 and Tulpa for your suggestions!

Jun 30 at 9:35:52 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

I appreciate everyone's input! I'm not sure that a value can be placed on it as it is unusual (I may be wrong as I know nothing about NES values). Could it be high enough that a toy auctioneer may agree to sell it or is Ebay the best option? I thank pats1717 for the suggestion of $1,999 price but I'm just not sure if it is best to start with a number or to let the market set its price in an auction. Value on the web is nonexistent for a low serial number NES. In answer to Tulpa's question, maximum dollar is my goal. So my big question is where to sell it--what venue would get the highest dollar? Thank you pats171 and Tulpa for your suggestions!

I think you are pointing out the issue with your own question. With an unknown value, there is no "right" venue to sell such an item. You want maximum value, but are unsure of which platform to sell your item on. Look at the various options and pick whichever one you feel most comfortable with after considering fees, effort and exposure to sellers. Sometimes if you throw an item up with an absurd sky high number (for example 100k) will gain some exposure with threads and sometimes gaming forums such as this one about the asking price being absurdly high. Don't forget there are also gaming conventions you can take the system to and possibly make a sale in person. There is no real solid answer as to where this item will grab max value, but rather which method will attract the most views for maximum exposure of your console, which will hopefully turn out more bidders/buyers thay will hopefully be wanting to spend the most money for this at that specific time.

-------------------------

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Edited: 06/30/2019 at 09:36 AM by Mega Tank

Jun 30 at 9:45:07 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota

He is suggesting list it with a $1,999 BIN with a best offer option. That method, high BIN with best offer, is usually the best way to go to maximize the sale. You see what offers you get and decide what you are comfortable with. The problem is there is a high potential for flakes and other trolls with no intention other than to waste your time.

Jun 30 at 11:25:00 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: B.A.
The problem is there is a high potential for flakes and other trolls with no intention other than to waste your time.

Yep, that's why I asked if you wanted a hassle free sale. Someone here could buy it today and you got money in your pocket.

If you're after max dollars, you need time, exposure, and a competitive bidding/offer environment. But you will get a LOT of tire kickers, maybe troll bidders, and possibly someone backing out of the deal and you're back to square one. If getting the most money is the goal, plan on holding onto this thing for awhile.

Edited: 06/30/2019 at 11:26 AM by Tulpa

Jun 30 at 11:36:30 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
And for the Record, I dont think Pat is saying you will get 1999$ for it, its just a good place to start.

My thoughts are 600-1000$ IF (and a big if) you get the absolute right buyer. Good luck with sale.

Jun 30 at 11:26:18 PM
BalloonFight (233)
(Kyle Allen) < Ridley Wrangler >
California
I definitely agree with the BIN and Best offer option at around the $2k mark. This low of a serial number will absolutely garner quick interest. I'm sure offers will come in quickly on it. Good luck with the sale!

Always looking for early issues of these magazines: GameFan, Tips and Tricks, Electronic Gaming Monthly.
Don't be afraid to send me a PM if you have any of these. I would love to give you some games for your magazines. :)

Jul 01 at 9:44:27 AM
unish25 (0)
(Shinu Chacko) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
Agreed with all of the above. It's a very nice collector's piece. May I ask where you found this? 

Jul 01 at 10:04:40 AM
Khromak (16)

(Sean Dumont) < Crack Trooper >
New York
He found it in a home he purchased along with several other vintage game systems (CollecoVision, Odyssey, Atari).

Jul 01 at 8:20:42 PM
josie (0)

< Cherub >
You Nintendo collectors are a nice bunch--I appreciate all the comments. I am getting offers and am feeling really happy that the seller left everything! It was an estate and the only child (fifty-something) did not want anything and left me tons of toys, games, GI Joes and even $500 worth of vintage gift cards that still work LOL. I believe the father worked in NYC and the kid got whatever he wanted. Now it's time to figure out what to do with it all. Thanks for all the input--you are all wonderful! I think I'm leaning towards Ebay since the toy auctioneer wants 28%! Now I just have to find the time to actually sell it!

Jul 01 at 9:02:23 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
You have a pretty desirable item. I hope a collector is able to give you a good offer for it.

Jul 01 at 9:18:42 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

You Nintendo collectors are a nice bunch--I appreciate all the comments. I am getting offers and am feeling really happy that the seller left everything! It was an estate and the only child (fifty-something) did not want anything and left me tons of toys, games, GI Joes and even $500 worth of vintage gift cards that still work LOL. I believe the father worked in NYC and the kid got whatever he wanted. Now it's time to figure out what to do with it all. Thanks for all the input--you are all wonderful! I think I'm leaning towards Ebay since the toy auctioneer wants 28%! Now I just have to find the time to actually sell it!
You can always choose to sell whatever is video game related stuff on Nintendo Age and just get charged the Paypal fees. If you choose to strictly go the eBay route, you can post a thread in the Auction Site Spotlight so we can see what you have available for sale video game wise as well whatever else may be on your eBay account for sale. There are people here that collect all sorts of Games and Toys, so it doesn't hurt to drop your eBay username in that subforum. Good luck! 

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Jul 01 at 9:48:22 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
If you go straight auction on this it's a big risk the one I referenced should have sold for more imo and was listed poorly.

Jul 05 at 12:12:00 PM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
Wow, sweet piece! It looks to have been taken decent care of and will definitely pull the hardcore NES console collectors out of the shadows.

Personally, I suggest to Auction on here with perhaps a Reserve to not get short changed. There are some huge collectors on the site. They you'd only be dealing with Paypal's ~3% fee.

eBay is fine and all, but even myself as a 1000+ feedback eBay seller have been turned away by the fees, ebay policies, and obnoxiously large amount of scamming and non-paying bidders. I haven't sold on there in quite a while. If you get a legit sale though, probably the most $$$ there. Be careful not to offer the Global Shipping Program (I think it checks by default?), I don't think I'd sell this out of the country myself.

I wonder if Heritage Auctions would be worth considering for something of this obscurity?

Jul 08 at 12:36:09 PM
josie (0)

< Cherub >
Thanks for the great suggestions, Boosted52405. I checked with Bodnar's Auctions--local but large--and they charge 28%--ouch! I'll check with Heritage (thanks for the suggestion). It is also a great suggestion to auction on this site with reserve. It's just very hard to put a reserve price on something you don't know the value of?!

Jul 08 at 12:46:09 PM
A_Feisty_Pickle (6)

(Jeremy ) < Crack Trooper >
Arkansas

Thanks for the great suggestions, Boosted52405. I checked with Bodnar's Auctions--local but large--and they charge 28%--ouch! I'll check with Heritage (thanks for the suggestion). It is also a great suggestion to auction on this site with reserve. It's just very hard to put a reserve price on something you don't know the value of?!
My 2 cents I'm assuming you have no sentimental value since you just found this and essentially got it free as a throw in for buying a house. I'd say unless you're going to lose sleep over it if it sells under X dollars just start it low without a reserve and let the market decide what it's worth. 

Jul 08 at 6:17:30 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
I just sold a 68,722 Console only for $250. eBay is your best option do not auction it pick a fixed price.

Jul 08 at 7:52:24 PM
josie (0)

< Cherub >
hmmmmm

Aug 11 at 7:55:20 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
eBay item

Is the exact reason why you do not list low numbered consoles as an auction

Serial number was 78,600 only 10,000 higher than the one I sold for $250 and this one had the box robot etc sold for $256 plus shipping