Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

If I wanted to burn a Hack... would this be a good way?

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:47:36 AM
offensive_jerk (32)
(greasy sanchez) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Ok, ive read that NES games have 2 roms. One chip is for the game the other is for the sprites/tiles. If I were to leave the game ROM alone, but hack the tiles/sprites and burn that to a rom, and solder that in the cart, would that work?

-------------------------
394- NES
189-SNES
118-N64

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:39:09 AM
albailey (55)
(Al Bailey) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario

Basically, if it works in your emulator, it'll work on the real cart.

Keep in mind the CHR is just the tiles, while the PRG is how those tiles are laid out, as well as the color palette being used.

So if you found the tiles that make up Mario's head, you could alter those and then your Mario would be running around with a different head.

Most games have a separate CHR and PRG chip.  Keep in mind some games (like an UNROM based game) use RAM for the CHR, meaning there is really just one programmed chip and the CHR tiles ar copied (or created) there from the PRG.

The hack called Super Mario Clouds did the opposite.  They left the CHR data alone and just modified the PRG code to display those sprites differently.

Al

My Gameboy collection  97% complete.          My N64 collection   88% complete

My Gamecube collection  99% complete        My NES collection   97% complete

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:25:43 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Just a quick correction: if it works in a GOOD emulator, it is likely to work on the real NES. Good emulators include the most recent versions of Nintendulator, FCEU, Nestopia. Nesticle and anything based on it are absolutely not good emulators. The incorrect emulation in Nesticle is the reason many hacks and early homebrew games do not run on the real system.

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:30:25 PM
skem (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(jared ayo) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Does anyone know of someone that will make hacks into carts for me if I supply the ROMs?

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:33:43 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
^ You might want to try the guys at nesreproductions.com and gamereproductions.com as a start.

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:06:42 PM
skem (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(jared ayo) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I will try there, I was hoping not to pay $25 per hacked game

Oct 4, 2007 at 10:07:16 AM
coinheaven (256)
(Joe Thomas) < Lolo Lord >
United States
mario adventure is one that doesnt work on a real nes.  sucks too because it is pretty fun.

400 repros and counting:  http://www.thenesdump.com/...