Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

When will the first N64 clone arrive? It's bound to happen sometime...

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:25:16 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
I have 3 modern clones: an original Yobo toploader that I bought back in 2005, an FC Mobile II (NES), and a Hyperkin Supaboy (SNES), but I do the majority of my retro gaming on original hardware.

I noticed starting back in 2004 the Yobo NESs were released in the US, then cloned NES/SNES 2-in-1s, and Genesis followed. The NOAC units place the entire NES guts, CPU, GPU, RAM, etc on a single glob-top. Then there's a 5V regulator, crystal, and a few analog components to handle the audio/video circuit. I can tell the SNES clones have multiple chips in them, which is likely why they cost more.

I'm guessing the N64 is next, but the clock speed and RAM are both an order of magnitude larger/faster. The patents should be expired by 2015, so that opens the doors for production.

Do you think the first N64 clone will be discrete hardware based, or software emulation? Obviously hardware would be the better way to go, but it may be cheaper to manufacture with software, and bugs in the emulator could be updated via firmware. The latest ARM processors are fast becoming extremely cheap and powerful, and coupled with a cartridge adapter and controller ports, they could probably handle the load. The designers could easily port over the source code from a popular N64 emu if they decided to go the software route.

No matter if the console sucked for certain games or the real hardware was still cheaper; some people would buy it anyway. It's not a matter of whether it's possible to do, but when.

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:25:06 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
If/when they hit I'd put it at cheap off the rack parts and software emulation, sort of like how those Firecore based Sega Genesis tv based and pocket emulators work. It was far cheaper for the chinese to whip together a few off the rack parts and make up an emulator that would run around 80-85% of the stuff without saving capability and some titles just not booting or having game breaking control or graphics problems.

With the costs involved with the CGI chip in the N64, the other processors, the type of RAM it uses and the rest, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see someone get some 5-10 years back off the rack beater budget PC parts and shove them into a little box and code up some emulator that just fires the stuff up and whatever works and that's that. Most would be happy with an N64 emulator set top box that can run most stuff mostly to completely accurately either with real carts or using ROMS like those Genesis devices do allowing more using SD cards.

Aug 20, 2012 at 5:33:08 PM
aleckermit (34)
(The OoT Guy) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Been wishing for an N64 clone for a while. With increased hardware power one of the N64 main downfalls (lag) would be eliminated. Forced 640x480 resolution or higher and and hdmi support would be awesome as well.

N64 NFR set completed:

http://www.nintendoage.com/index....

Need these items: Ocarina of Time Gold NFR (just has NFR sticker on backside), Ocarina of Time 3D E3 NFR.

http://www.youtube.com/aleckermit...

Aug 20, 2012 at 7:12:11 PM
treismac (7)
(Travis MacMillan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Georgia
Strange. I was just asking myself this question the other day.

Aug 20, 2012 at 7:53:22 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
Probably never, it'd be too damn expensive.

Aug 20, 2012 at 7:59:08 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
That, and there were not really any reliability problems associated with the N64 that could be corrected by a repro (unless you count the Reset button problem ).

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:19:05 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
The reset button on my N64 was stuck when I got it. After a couple years of ownership, I got a security bit and cleaned it up on the inside. I used Silicone spray (a type lubricant that's 100% safe for plastics - also works wonders on Rubik's Cubes, one of my other hobbies) to loosen up the button and it works flawless now. All of the Nintendo consoles from NES to Game Cube were nearly indestructible.

A software emulator, if used, would allow brighter lag-free visuals. 480i S-Video or even 480p with a component option would be great (I just feel that HDMI would add too much to the cost). I remember back in the day playing Mario64 fullscreen on my old circa 1999 PC with an Adaptoid USB N64 controller adapter w/ driver (Win ME, 400Mhz Celeron with a kickass 16Mb AGP video card) at 1280x1024, and I was blown away with the high resolution details of the bricks in front of the Castle. My computer was about 5 years old at the time of emulation (2004), but it was impressive that a computer manufactured during the consoles lifetime could still emulate it full screen in HD. Of course, at that time, Mario 64 was one of the few games the emulator would run properly, and the Vanish and Metal caps had minor graphical issues not affecting gameplay. More advanced games like Paper Mario and DK64 had severe graphical glitches or were completely broken.

I'm sure an ARM processor with a suitable graphics adapter (like what they use in the knockoff brand multimedia tablets) would be capable of handling the emulator, and it would be much cheaper than using an Intel Netbook processor, plus it could probably use a passive cooling heatsink. If they did make a clone N64 that used emulation to run the real cartridges / controllers, it would definitely cost more than an original N64, probably around $100, so the selling point would have to be that the graphics appear much sharper than original console. They could probably also throw in an HCSD card slot as a bonus at little to no extra cost. The original PS1 graphics don't hold diddly compared to upscaled N64 graphics.

If anyone with a Wii has downloaded Mario Kart 64 on Virtual Console, and also has the original game cart, then hook up both to the TV and do a Time Trial on Toad's Turnpike. The polygons on the vehicles look horrid on the N64 console, but they look flawless with razor sharp edges on the Wii VC in 480p. And due to the low-fi graphics acceleration, I also had trouble going back to playing Paper Mario on the original N64 once I had gotten used to playing it on Wii VC.

Edited: 08/21/2012 at 02:24 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:27:35 AM
ultimatetj (5)
(Ultimate TJ) < Eggplant Wizard >
United Kingdom
My friend has an N64 clone. It looks really similar to the N64 too. Infact his friend thought it was an N64 lol.

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:03:37 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: ultimatetj

My friend has an N64 clone. It looks really similar to the N64 too. Infact his friend thought it was an N64 lol.
Proof, photos? I'm not talking about an NES clone shaped like an N64 or controller, but actual 3rd party hardware that somehow plays N64 cartridges. I'm sure it's possible, but it would have to be a lot more sophisticated than a SNES or NES clone.

There exists a Super Joy III knockoff shaped like an N64 controller which plugs into a TV, and has pirated games built in. Some models also have a Famicom port on the bottom. Shady vendors have been known to sell these at various malls and flea markets across the USA. Whenever they get cease and desist letters from Nintendo (the games are still copyrighted), they just pack up shop and sell their goods elsewhere

Edited: 08/21/2012 at 02:04 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:18:48 AM
ultimatetj (5)
United Kingdom
yeh il take a pic of it next time im round his. i txt him and he says he hasnt even played it as its right next to his actual N64 so i will make sure i go armed with N64 games and try it for myself!

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:30:10 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: ultimatetj

yeh il take a pic of it next time im round his. i txt him and he says he hasnt even played it as its right next to his actual N64 so i will make sure i go armed with N64 games and try it for myself!

Bring a couple of NES carts as well, just in case his N64 clone is really an NES clone. I can't wait to see pics.

Either way, that would be interesting. Was this an old [pirate] clone or a recent one? While I've not heard of cloned N64s, there were a ton of illegal Fami and NES clones back in the day, especially late in the NES's lifetime.

FYI, NES clones were illegal back in the 90s, but are legal now because patents expire after 20 years. N64 patents should be expired within another couple years; I don't know the date though. Unfortunately, copyright lasts 90+ years, which is why Nintendo still busts ROM sites and bootleg games of old systems.

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:18:00 AM
ultimatetj (5)
United Kingdom
yeh il go all out with the carts i dont know how long he has had it or how old it is, but i will find out the info for you when im next at his place.

I did see one myself at a car boot a few weeks ago, some guy had it under his arm. not sure if it was the same one as my friend has, but it looked just like an n64 on the box.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:03:45 AM
BL4CKV4LOR (4)
(Rick M) < Eggplant Wizard >
British Columbia
There are counterfeit N64s out there - do those count?

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:56:14 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Funny you mention counterfiet consoles. Ironically, many of the vintage counerfeit NESs from the late 80s/ early 90s, have higher compatibility with games than modern clones, as they used discrete components rather than single chip designs.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:54:30 PM
Karnov-sky (4)
(Daily Sun) < Eggplant Wizard >
Georgia
I think if it did happen, it would probably be fan made. I don't see it going mainstream like the NES,GEN,and SNESs..But, when it/if it does happen, sign me up for one!

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:48:55 AM
Crass (2)
(Christopher Wolfe) < Little Mac >
Virginia
Hyperkin is going to unveil some n64 thing at this years E3. So we'll see. Also I love bringing 2 year old threads back to life!

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:41:08 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Crass

Hyperkin is going to unveil some n64 thing at this years E3. So we'll see. Also I love bringing 2 year old threads back to life!
Thanks for the bump mate!

I read about this on digitpress last night. N64 is really a wonderful system IMO but it's controllers suffered from poor thumbstick design that caused them to wear out, as well as blurry 3D graphics. Thankfully there are tons of clone controllers that fix the thumbstick issues even if some of them don't quite feel right. The N64 games display 100% better in 480p Wii VC. If any retro console really needed the HDMI upgrade, it is the N64.

What is Hyperkin planning? Hopefully they are not screwing the pooch by announcing a Retrode 6 or delaying the console for an additional redesign. I envision some sort of retrode-like adapter too expand functionality of the Retron5:

Edited: 03/20/2014 at 09:48 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:06:44 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
N64 also suffers from not working right on LCD tvs in general too, so if an HDMI solution can be made I'd be very happy about that. Those first gen 3D systems just don't seem to appreciate new TVs much since the N64 won't display games that are night time in shadows right as it's just lights out (death in a game like star wars rogue squadron), and then high quality pics with no scanlines get sliced up and scrambled, and just other dumb things, plus Hudson games liked to use scanlines to soften images and without they're blotchy blobs. I've got the n64 on my NES sharp just so I can play stuff. Having supporting N64 emulation since UltraHLE hit I'd really like to see that stuff in HD running right (unlike emulators which are iffy still) on a tv.

Mar 20, 2014 at 5:03:41 PM
standigz (1)

(Chaz Gidnats) < El Ripper >
New Jersey
An HDMI solution is being made by Marshal?(whathisface) the guy that made the 64drive. It's actually DVI, but DVI is HDMI, so you could use a DVI to HDMI cable I guess. No idea what he's doing about the audio. It's an actual board you need to solder inside a N64.

As for clones, I don't think we'll ever see them. The N64 just doesn't have the library the earlier consoles have. That and it just wasn't nearly as popular as when it came out. It has its place, but it wasn't one of the "winner" consoles.

Mar 20, 2014 at 6:44:02 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
Originally posted by: BL4CKV4LOR

There are counterfeit N64s out there - do those count?

They're all famiclones made to look like an N64 (or N64 controller). There's never been an actual N64 clone yet. There are pirate cartridges for sure though.

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:40:35 PM
Crass (2)
(Christopher Wolfe) < Little Mac >
Virginia
I just want to play jet force gemini in HD. Never did finish it.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:19:53 PM
Thunderblaze16 (76)
(Piero ) < King Solomon >
Florida
Nintendo just had to keep going with carts, why? For fear of piracy even though at this point we know they lost more than they saved with the N64.

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:07:16 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Thunderblaze16

Nintendo just had to keep going with carts, why? For fear of piracy even though at this point we know they lost more than they saved with the N64.

I always kinda liked the fact Nintendo stuck with carts 5th gen even if nobody else gave a crap. The loading times on most Playstation games were atrocious, although PS2 somewhat rectified that with it's faster DVD drive. Looking back, the N64 was pretty much indestructable just like every cartridge system that came before it, from Atari on up. It was so funny when the Game Cube came out, my friend and I were like "Nintendo finally sold out to the disc!" Looking back, I was pretty naive, but still I love me some cartridges. Sure they can get dirty but at least you never have to worry they'll get scratched and ruined like discs. Even the Sony Vita went back to carts after the PSP, LOL...

Edited: 03/20/2014 at 11:12 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:12:59 AM
Enternal (19)
(Edge Geraldine) < El Ripper >
Florida

They also got semi screwed when N64 emulation hit 3 years into the console lifespan. My first Zelda oot experience was on my 200 mhz computer with 6mb 3dfx video card

The bulk of my n64 collection have been from in the wild finds, and I don't have to worry about them functioning. But CD with their frail jewel cases, are often scratched heavilly, or straight up missing from the case when found.

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:40:34 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Enternal

They also got semi screwed when N64 emulation hit 3 years into the console lifespan. My first Zelda oot experience was on my 200 mhz computer with 6mb 3dfx video card

The bulk of my n64 collection have been from in the wild finds, and I don't have to worry about them functioning. But CD with their frail jewel cases, are often scratched heavilly, or straight up missing from the case when found.
Wii and DS got emulated during their lifetimes as well, in fact both systems weren't even out for a year yet. Most early N64 emulation was quite poor though, then again all 90s emulators were. Anyone remember Nesticle NES? SM64 had numerous glitches and later games like Paper Mario or DK64 were unplayable. I emulated the 64 at 1280x960 on a 400Mhz 1999 PC with an ATI 16Mb video card, albeit it was a couple years after N64 had died off. Emulation was still sh!tty and N64s were getting cheap so I bought one.

Edited: 03/21/2014 at 06:42 AM by Kosmic StarDust