Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Black Label" vs Greatest Hits, Players Choice etc.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:36:04 AM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
It's worth mentioning that sometimes GH copies will have more features than the original black label. The PS1 is a good example of this as many copies of games were released before the dual analog controller, but their GH counterparts were released after with dual analog, and sometimes vibration support. And of course, some games have bug fixes.

-------------------------

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:38:42 AM
senorchocotaco (20)
(Alex ) < Little Mac >
Ohio
Originally posted by: bootleggers deluxe

In my gamecube collection, which i actively display, i have worfked very hard to not have any "players choice" labels. i think out of 350m, i have three, and am looking for replacements that were not Player's choice cases.

when it comes to ps1/ps2, i really dont care, as i dont keep much of either of the collection out other than what i play.

My vote goes to black label for display, but no difference in actual gameplay.

Same, I spend a solid year slowly replacing my yellow Gamecube spines, and I definitely appreciate it that much more now that they're gone.

I was going to make a point to do that with my PS1 titles, but there's a few that I can't justify re-buying to get rid of the green spine.  At least it's not as big of an eye-sore as piss yellow (come on, Nintendo!)

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:06:27 AM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
I honestly don't care whether a game is greatest hits or black label as long as I have the game, it's in good condition and it's playable. Some GH look better than others. I know a lot of people hate the green GH labels on PS1 games but I guess because all I've ever owned were GH editions since I got my PS1 in 2000, by that time every game I wanted was a GH already, it never bothered me. The yellow GCN Player's Choice label sticks out like a sore thumb but I don't find it to be ugly. I liked the way N64 and SNES did their Player's Choice labels, they just put a little gold ribbon the label and accented the box art with gold. It's a lot more subtle than the bright red PS3 cases, lime green PS1 cases, and bright yellow GCN cases.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:08:30 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: XYZ

They break comformity barriers. They piss off hipsters. I love them!
heeheeeee! 

Its fun! 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Edited: 02/12/2016 at 10:09 AM by skinnygrinny

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:42:44 AM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

heeheeeee! 

Its fun! 

The US version had Season 4 printed backwards so you had to have the front facing the opposite direction in order to have it on the shelf spine-out with the others.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:49:44 AM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: CZroe

Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

heeheeeee! 

Its fun! 

The US version had Season 4 printed backwards so you had to have the front facing the opposite direction in order to have it on the shelf spine-out with the others.

That is fantastic

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:52:17 AM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
Bunch of shelf queens in here... Who care what color the trim is, if the game plays, that's what matters.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:57:44 AM
scottmog (32)
(scott haefele) < El Ripper >
California
I only collect black label.

Garbage modders: Crayola_the_crayon_king, OGHugo, Drakon

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:04:44 AM
Philosoraptor (52)
< King Solomon >
Texas
Originally posted by: Guntz

Bunch of shelf queens in here...

Are you into RC cars?

Edited: 02/12/2016 at 11:04 AM by Philosoraptor

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:06:23 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

Bunch of shelf queens in here... Who care what color the trim is, if the game plays, that's what matters.

Haha get um! 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:43:54 AM
Gandlin (17)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: TDIRunner

It's worth mentioning that sometimes GH copies will have more features than the original black label. The PS1 is a good example of this as many copies of games were released before the dual analog controller, but their GH counterparts were released after with dual analog, and sometimes vibration support. And of course, some games have bug fixes.

Bingo. I don't really care if a game is GH or BL, as long as it plays right. No sense in getting one or the other if there's content missing or bugs.

There's one example I can think of where the original had a little more content than later versions...Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. The original had a mini game called "Hot coffee" where you could bang the ladies. There were complaints once it was found and all later releases had it removed. There are ways you can still access it on both console and PC versions but it requires some modding.

Now if we're talking black label VS GOTY then it's a usually going to be GOTY imo.

Edited: 02/12/2016 at 11:54 AM by Gandlin

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:12:53 PM
supercoupe91 (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
North Dakota
Only the ps1 GH really bother me and its not even because of the green label. Its more because of the boring black and white disc label and manual instead of the full color ones you get with the black label games.

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:22:39 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
Ontario
Originally posted by: supercoupe91

Only the ps1 GH really bother me and its not even because of the green label. Its more because of the boring black and white disc label and manual instead of the full color ones you get with the black label games.

I was looking through mine to see if there was a difference with the disc and I have some black label games with black and white disc art. Are all black labels supposed to be coloured discs?

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:29:53 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

I think you should have said "black and chrome" since that's how all of my GH discs came.

***EDIT*** I have several PS1 games in both black label and GH.  I can post some pictures of them tonight to show the differences in the disc appearance. 

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Edited: 02/12/2016 at 12:31 PM by TDIRunner

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:32:01 PM
supercoupe91 (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
North Dakota
I don't think so but I could only find 1 black label game of mine that had black and white disc art. Others weren't full color but still had had some color shading on the disc that was different from the GH version.

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:34:36 PM
supercoupe91 (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
North Dakota

I think you should have said "black and chrome" since that's how all of my GH discs came.

***EDIT*** I have several PS1 games in both black label and GH.  I can post some pictures of them tonight to show the differences in the disc appearance. 

Thank you. Yes, that's what I should have said.

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:36:27 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
There are a few exceptions to the rule, but black label PS1 games came out however the developer or publisher wanted them to look. Sometimes, in full color, sometimes in black and white, sometimes chrome. But GH discs came out with the same design, but with black lettering and artwork on a chrome/shiny background. I'm having trouble describing it, but I can post example pictures tonight.

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:41:01 PM
BreaKBeatZ (59)
< Lolo Lord >
District of Columbia

This is Collector's Corner.

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:41:17 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Oh, and let's not forget the PS1 "Collector's Editions" which had a white bar on the front of the game instead of the black or green. At least the spine of the CE's was the same as black label so you can't tell when it's sitting on a shelf.

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:48:29 PM
USFLegend (63)
(Adam ) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
Black label or no deal for me. If I am going to just play it and get rid of it later then I don't care. If it's staying in my collection then it has to look perfect.

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:23:06 PM
tpoeckh (1)
< Cherub >
Black label only for me. The only Greatest Hits games I own are ones I purchased originally back in the day.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:56:17 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
Ontario

Oh, and let's not forget the PS1 "Collector's Editions" which had a white bar on the front of the game instead of the black or green. At least the spine of the CE's was the same as black label so you can't tell when it's sitting on a shelf.

I was looking up Xbox platinum hits, that's a mess. Platinum hits, best of platinum hits, platinum family hits, best of family platinum hits, best of classics, platinum collection like holy shit

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:02:06 PM
BabyBlueYoshi (8)
< Crack Trooper >
Nova Scotia
I always prefer the original release, but for SNES games, I seek out the players choice cart as well and treat it as a variant. I think they look cool lined up together seperately. Gamecube games are a different story, I wont go near those yellow spines if I can help it, but it seems like some games have 50,000,000 player's choice cases to every 1 black label (Kirby's Air ride and Paper Mario TYD)

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:21:30 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Does Pikmin 2 for Wii exist as a normal release at all in the USA? I've seen it that way from other English regions but the first copy I ever saw and every copy since has been in the Wii value series with the shrunken box art.

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:33:56 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
Ontario
Originally posted by: CZroe

Does Pikmin 2 for Wii exist as a normal release at all in the USA? I've seen it that way from other English regions but the first copy I ever saw and every copy since has been in the Wii value series with the shrunken box art.

that's the one I have. With The red frame around it. Not sure if there's another version in north america