Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Yellow cart Mario/duck hunt Picked it up in a lot of games purchased.

Aug 26, 2013 at 6:48:48 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Deemar

Originally posted by: Karma123456

Hello all! I'm the wife of "the guy" and I just wanted to give you all the story. (however, all this drama is better than my high school days) Anyhow, my son was invited to go to the fair on Sunday with one of his friends. We had absolutely no money until payday. We were desperate. My husband was at home and I told him to grab our sons Nintendo stuff, but save a few games that I had in the Nintendo organizer thingy. My husband posted it online and my husband received multiple offers. I also told my husband to put my "special" games aside such as the ones that were my favorite as a kid, and the ones that were my sons favorites, and my unique ones. My husband wasn't supposed to get rid of the yellow game, and actually a couple of the other games that we liked but I was lucky enough to find them on sale anyway on Ebay. My husband informed me that he found a buyer and that he was going to run and meet him. Just in time for me to get the money to my son so he could go to the fair in the morning. Parents do those kinds of things. Anyway, we did find out that we could probably have gotten almost 500 for the yellow game and that it's a cool collector piece amongst the gamer geeks. Soooo, that brings us to today. We are very interested in finding out how much it's worth. We may keep it and we may sell it. We honestly have no idea what we're going to do. It depends on how much it's worth I guess. If it's not worth a lot, then we'll just frame it and put it on the wall and print out this forum thread so we can have a good laugh and quite the conversation piece. As for our friend Matt, I'm sorry this happened this way, but he still got a kick-ass deal AND my son was able to enjoy himself at the fair! Also, we want Matt to know that we have your contact information and we hope to keep in touch!!!

Oh, and to all of the negative, people out there, try being more like Matt!! It was honestly nice meeting someone like him, what a kind genuine person he is. We're good people too and have had our share of people doing negative things to us. We're lucky that it fell in his hands and not someone else. I find peace in knowing that without a doubt we would have done the same thing as well.

Let me get this straight, because I may be the only person that noticed this. I'm guessing the good games you accidentally sold were maybe $30-$40 games? So let's say there were 3 of them. Doing the math, you sold this lot of all these games to Matt for $120 as he stated, then you bought these 3 games back for somewhere around $120. So you......gave away all the other games for free? I don't get it. Where did the fair money come from? The fair fairy?
Generally the most popular and fun games are cheap, not $30-$40 each.

So he sold the lot for $200, paid $80 to get this cart back.  So he got $120.  Probably bought stuff back from eBay like Super Mario 3 and some other fun cheap carts, maybe $30-$50 at most (us USA collectors don't have to pay a ton in shipping like you Canadians.)

Admission to a fair is maybe $5-$10.  A boy can have plenty of fun at the fair on $50, not sure how it works in Canada.  But you're calling out someone for absolutely no reason at all, stop being an asshole.

-------------------------
WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Edited: 08/26/2013 at 06:49 PM by jonebone

Aug 26, 2013 at 6:57:01 PM
Frigusoris (2)
(Rory S) < Eggplant Wizard >
Alberta
Does anyone care if it's a real test cart anymore? Or did I miss something amongst the drama?

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:06:11 PM
Myriad of Caltrons (4)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Just Guess ) < Crack Trooper >
United States
I just think she should do something extra for Matt for actually giving the game back, if it was like some collectors we know they would have told them its very rare, rubbed it in their faces and drove away. If you do sell it again don't put it up for action, sell it to Matt for a reasonable price.

Searching for Little Samson. I will find you.                                                                                                                                          Top wants:Little samson, Flintsones 2, star fox super weekend, Earthboundm and Sculptors cut.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  If anyone owns a game store and has rares. If you are willing to trade for lots of commons please pm me.                                                                                

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:07:00 PM
Deemar (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Alberta
Originally posted by: jonebone

Hello all! I'm the wife of "the guy" and I just wanted to give you all the story. (however, all this drama is better than my high school days) Anyhow, my son was invited to go to the fair on Sunday with one of his friends. We had absolutely no money until payday. We were desperate. My husband was at home and I told him to grab our sons Nintendo stuff, but save a few games that I had in the Nintendo organizer thingy. My husband posted it online and my husband received multiple offers. I also told my husband to put my "special" games aside such as the ones that were my favorite as a kid, and the ones that were my sons favorites, and my unique ones. My husband wasn't supposed to get rid of the yellow game, and actually a couple of the other games that we liked but I was lucky enough to find them on sale anyway on Ebay. My husband informed me that he found a buyer and that he was going to run and meet him. Just in time for me to get the money to my son so he could go to the fair in the morning. Parents do those kinds of things. Anyway, we did find out that we could probably have gotten almost 500 for the yellow game and that it's a cool collector piece amongst the gamer geeks. Soooo, that brings us to today. We are very interested in finding out how much it's worth. We may keep it and we may sell it. We honestly have no idea what we're going to do. It depends on how much it's worth I guess. If it's not worth a lot, then we'll just frame it and put it on the wall and print out this forum thread so we can have a good laugh and quite the conversation piece. As for our friend Matt, I'm sorry this happened this way, but he still got a kick-ass deal AND my son was able to enjoy himself at the fair! Also, we want Matt to know that we have your contact information and we hope to keep in touch!!!

Oh, and to all of the negative, people out there, try being more like Matt!! It was honestly nice meeting someone like him, what a kind genuine person he is. We're good people too and have had our share of people doing negative things to us. We're lucky that it fell in his hands and not someone else. I find peace in knowing that without a doubt we would have done the same thing as well.

Let me get this straight, because I may be the only person that noticed this. I'm guessing the good games you accidentally sold were maybe $30-$40 games? So let's say there were 3 of them. Doing the math, you sold this lot of all these games to Matt for $120 as he stated, then you bought these 3 games back for somewhere around $120. So you......gave away all the other games for free? I don't get it. Where did the fair money come from? The fair fairy?

So he sold the lot for $200, paid $80 to get this cart back.  So he got $120.  Probably bought stuff back from eBay like Super Mario 3 and some other fun cheap carts, maybe $30-$50 at most (us USA collectors don't have to pay a ton in shipping like you Canadians.)

Admission to a fair is maybe $5-$10.  A boy can have plenty of fun at the fair on $50, not sure how it works in Canada.  But you're calling out someone for absolutely no reason at all, stop being an asshole.

Cheap? Name one.

Battletoads
Contra
Super C
Dragon Warrior 2, 3, 4
River City Ransom
Ninja Gaiden 2, 3
Mega Man
Ducktales ($20)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project

All these games are over $30, I could go on for days with more.
I've seen this same situation again and again and again and again and again and again. People will say anything to get something back from you after they realize they sold it to cheap, At least here anyway.

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:13:30 PM
Myriad of Caltrons (4)
United States

Cheap? Name one.

Battletoads
Contra
Super C
Dragon Warrior 2, 3, 4
River City Ransom
Ninja Gaiden 2, 3
Mega Man
Ducktales ($20)

I've seen this same situation again and again and again and again and again and again. People will say anything to get something back from you after they realize they sold it to cheap, At least here anyway.
Those games are not all $30, Contra - $20-$25 Ninja Gaiden 2 - $15-$20 TMNT3 -$15-$20  Super C - $15-$20 Battletoads - $20-$25. jeez all over $30????

Searching for Little Samson. I will find you.                                                                                                                                          Top wants:Little samson, Flintsones 2, star fox super weekend, Earthboundm and Sculptors cut.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  If anyone owns a game store and has rares. If you are willing to trade for lots of commons please pm me.                                                                                

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:16:29 PM
Fahrenheit (36)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: Frigusoris

Does anyone care if it's a real test cart anymore? Or did I miss something amongst the drama?
Quite honestly, I'd like to know too. If it's not even legit, then all of this arguing is pointless anyway.

I see what Jone means though, they didn't exactly lie per se, but they didn't really state that once they got the cart back, that they would sell it for every penny that they could get. Without looking back to an earlier post in this thread, I'm pretty sure that they said the cart was for their kid. Then again, money is better when it comes to trying to make your kid happy and giving him a better life, so it's a valid excuse I suppose. I've definitely seen worse.

While I don't exactly agree with exactly how it went down, Matt is still a good person and NOT an idiot, for giving it back.

Edited: 08/26/2013 at 07:22 PM by Fahrenheit

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:18:00 PM
th0rpe (36)
(JT ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
The thing that everyone seems to be missing is the fact he (the original seller) said that he wanted the game back for his kid, and now he is wanting to sell it for max profit. That's the shady part.

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:28:09 PM
Fahrenheit (36)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: th0rpe

The thing that everyone seems to be missing is the fact he (the original seller) said that he wanted the game back for his kid, and now he is wanting to sell it for max profit. That's the shady part.
True, but the money would be for their kid as well, I assume.

In a case like this, I think that the cartridge should be held onto until their kid can make the grown up decision of whether or not he wants the game, or the money. If the cart was truly for him in the first place, he should be the one to make the decision, not the parents.

That's just my opinion though. I just know that I wouldn't want my Dad selling rare games of mine without my consent, especially if I'm too young to understand that I may never be able to get those games back.

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:30:42 PM
Deemar (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Alberta
Originally posted by: Myriad of Caltrons

Cheap? Name one.

Battletoads
Contra
Super C
Dragon Warrior 2, 3, 4
River City Ransom
Ninja Gaiden 2, 3
Mega Man
Ducktales ($20)

Those games are not all $30, Contra - $20-$25 Ninja Gaiden 2 - $15-$20 TMNT3 -$15-$20  Super C - $15-$20 Battletoads - $20-$25. jeez all over $30????

Not here. And definitely not with shipping from Ebay. 

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:37:44 PM
rickrollcollector (133)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
I had thoughts before that this site should be private, in terms unless you registered you can't read certain threads like price check. Then again, it would be disadvantage for other collectors who is not registered here too. Anyway, can't really tell what was right or wrong since I didn't meet that family myself.

Everything what I was told about Communism was a lie and everything about Capitalism was the truth.

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:56:36 PM
8bitgreatNES (0)

(Yeeeeaaaaah budy ) < Crack Trooper >
New Jersey
 If you truly had no money in your bank account you would not spend money for your son to go to a fair.    Plain and simple the answer is no.  I have three kids and live pay check to pay check and guess what?  We don't go to fairs so the gas stays on.

Also, if you  had no money in your bank account like you stated you would not have spent money so frivolously on buying back games on E-Bay!!!  This is such a BS story. 

Edited: 08/26/2013 at 08:45 PM by 8bitgreatNES

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:58:27 PM
8bitgreatNES (0)

(Yeeeeaaaaah budy ) < Crack Trooper >
New Jersey

+1 what a crock of shit.  

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:06:22 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland

No, everyone is confusing the order of events.

He wanted it back for his kid.
The OP of the thread says "Well, to be honest, I've been offered $500 for it."
Now the family is considering selling after this new news.  And they said if it's not worth a lot, then they'll just hang onto it, which their was entire intent in the first place!

My dad has some old board games in the attic, if my mom sold them I'd want them back for sentimental value too.  But then if I find a thread on the net that it could be worth $500+, maybe I'd take the money too.  Not that hard to follow the scenario.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:22:22 PM
Maertens29 (61)
< Lolo Lord >
Saskatchewan
Well at this point both stories have been told, choose which you want to believe. In the end the cartridge was given back, whether or not that was the "right" choice, that is purely subjective. If everyone's opinion mattered, no ones opinion would matter.

I'm looking for a mint, factory sealed Dragon Ball Advanced for gameboy advance, let me know!

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:57:13 PM
Myriad of Caltrons (4)
United States
What is done is done.

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:32:29 PM
fdisk (1)

(Eric Mathison) < Eggplant Wizard >
Arizona
so on to more pressing matters this family should open it up and take pictures of the inside

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:15:18 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: rickrollcollector

I had thoughts before that this site should be private, in terms unless you registered you can't read certain threads like price check. Then again, it would be disadvantage for other collectors who is not registered here too. Anyway, can't really tell what was right or wrong since I didn't meet that family myself.

I've said it before a few times and pitched it in the suggestion board and in PM, and it never went anywhere I think because it would be too anti-community or something I forget as it was like a year ago.  Stuff like this thread would be one of the reasons it should exist.  Private on the forums of commerce or inquiring about values too until you're registered, and for a time with X posts too to weed out problem people.

The story changed enough detais as it is from what Matt got told up front, to the middle bits, and now what the owners wife has said.  The largest thing with a lie is that it's the hardest thing to maintain because you have to remember all the little details in the bs to keep it straight whereas the truth is just that.  He got taken from the looks of it, but we also don't know the true details of the original owner either but changing details make dishonesty look very possible.

I've seen the good will of NA enough times before from those who can do nice things, perhaps something will quietly happen his way as a consolation over all this garbage.  It's no wonder though various people here aren't too vocal about their collections at all or at the least of their more interesting finds because you never know what kind of person is watching or what they're capable of.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:28:42 PM
ulasamosa (280)
(James Ulizza) < Bowser >
Ohio
Remember when NA was mostly only full of game related, on point conversations that added value and new information/knowledge regarding the hobby??? Cause I sure do :-(

whats done is done, OP is a nice guy (too nice?, maybe), seller wants to sell for max profit to help his family ( who wouldnt?). Theres the cliff's notes. As others have stated, I just want to see the insides to see if its a legitimate test cart that hasnt been discovered even if not in the service binders.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:49:00 PM
Limbofunk (160)
(Otto Man) < King Solomon >
New York
Going WAAAAY off topic here: Is the cart legit in the way of how the Zelda test cart, Control Deck, Joystick, etc. carts are considered legitimate? No. Those carts were shipped from NOA to the service centers the way they were after they were purchased.

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:07:16 AM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
Thanks Otto. I didn't think this could be legit but it was still an interesting read.

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:26:47 AM
themaxvoltage (43)
(Max ) < El Ripper >
California
So has anyone actually popped it in and turned it on yet? Is it a normal SM/DH board or does it have a test ROM?

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:29:14 AM
dropkickorange (31)
(Nate ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Limbofunk

Going WAAAAY off topic here: Is the cart legit in the way of how the Zelda test cart, Control Deck, Joystick, etc. carts are considered legitimate? No. Those carts were shipped from NOA to the service centers the way they were after they were purchased.

Just out of curiosity, has the Zelda test cart been confirmed as legitimate? Does it have a specific Nintendo parts department number? I always thought it was a "custom" made game assembled by service center employees from separately ordered parts (yellow cartridge case, standard PCB, standard label). I agree with everyone who thinks this cart was put together that way.

"What happened? Your dog think your Game Boy some huge biscuit? Your kid drop it into the toilet..."

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:34:03 AM
Mrdouin (0)

(Matt Douin) < Cherub >
Washington
Originally posted by: themaxvoltage

So has anyone actually popped it in and turned it on yet? Is it a normal SM/DH board or does it have a test ROM?

I popped it in and turned it on and it played just like the regular Mario/duck hunt. I didn't notice anything different.

Edited: 08/27/2013 at 12:35 AM by Mrdouin

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:39:32 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Is this the thread I ask about my Zelda gold Rev-A, with the caution underlined??

I really do want to know the background of the SMB Cart.
Story was long, entertaining, sad, and I only learned that Matt was a nice guy.

Now...MORE about this SMB/DH cart!!

Was it examined by Chuck's (PRGE) buddy??

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:44:03 AM
Limbofunk (160)
(Otto Man) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: dropkickorange

Originally posted by: Limbofunk

Just out of curiosity, has the Zelda test cart been confirmed as legitimate? Does it have a specific Nintendo parts department number? I always thought it was a "custom" made game assembled by service center employees from separately ordered parts (yellow cartridge case, standard PCB, standard label). I agree with everyone who thinks this cart was put together that way.

No part number that I've found that specifically says 'Zelda test cart' in the listing, but it's referenced in at least one of the technical manuals.  I used to fall asleep trying to read those as they are snooze city.