NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NES Palette Poll

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:50:40 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: AaronE

Originally posted by: BRNexus

no rational thinking person would be against more choice. 

There has to be a business case to warrant RetroUSB devoting resources to implementing 'more choice' when the choices we have are sufficient and nothing has really been shown to prove otherwise. Sure to you it's 'more choice' but it sounds like more work with little or no benefit to a business. soooo there is a rational point of view. There becomes a situation of diminished returns.

This is just a simple poll man.   This is for those that are interested in more palettes, then Brian can decide for himself if there is enough demand to warrant adding more palettes and this will let him know which palettes to add based on number of votes.  

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:51:38 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana

Originally posted by: AaronE

no rational thinking person would be against more choice. 

There has to be a business case to warrant RetroUSB devoting resources to implementing 'more choice' when the choices we have are sufficient and nothing has really been shown to prove otherwise. Sure to you it's 'more choice' but it sounds like more work with little or no benefit to a business. soooo there is a rational point of view. There becomes a situation of diminished returns.

This is just a simple poll man.   This is for those that are interested in more palettes, then Brian can decide for himself if there is enough demand to warrant adding more palettes and this will let him know which palettes to add based on number of votes.  
25 replies, 401 views, 3 votes. Just saying  

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:51:40 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee

Originally posted by: the tall guy

Originally posted by: Paul

Where's the option for leaving the palettes alone?

Kinda what I was thinking.

The current palettes would be left alone in that none would be removed.   Why would someone vote for less choice?   Having more palettes wouldn't affect those that have no interest in them, just stick to the palettes you prefer. 

Because I'm good with what's already there, and it doesn't seem worth the work to add more?

-------------------------

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:55:08 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >

The current palettes would be left alone in that none would be removed.   Why would someone vote for less choice?   Having more palettes wouldn't affect those that have no interest in them, just stick to the palettes you prefer. 

Because I'm good with what's already there, and it doesn't seem worth the work to add more?

Again, this poll is for those who want more palette options and specifically which ones they want to see.  This is not a should or shouldn't he add more palette poll.  I believe more choice is always better. 

My angle is, if he can he should at least consider it. Perhaps he just doesn't know which palettes to implement because nobody has made a poll until now. 

Edited: 06/27/2018 at 06:57 PM by BRNexus

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:00:57 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
you should reframe the question, because obviously people can't grasp the concept that this isn't all about them.

"bunnyboy says he wants to add a palette, which one of these would you prefer?"

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Edited: 06/27/2018 at 07:01 PM by Lincoln

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:03:46 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia

Again, this poll is for those who want more palette options and specifically which ones they want to see.  This is not a should or shouldn't he add more palette poll.  I believe more choice is always better. 

Then you should be more clear what your intention is in the first post.  Something like "If more palettes were to be added, what one would you like to see?" would be a better opening post/thread title.

Based on your previous post in the other thread and your opening post here you are trying to prove that everyone wants more palettes, but the options you give do not align with what you are saying, which is why everyone is giving you a hard time.  Why not just add a "I like the color palettes as they are" option and everyone will shut up about it.    

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:04:18 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: Mog

Then you should be more clear what your intention is in the first post.  Something like "If more palettes were to be added, what one would you like to see?" would be a better opening post/thread title.

Based on your previous post in the other thread and your opening post here you are trying to prove that everyone wants more palettes, but the options you give do not align with what you are saying, which is why everyone is giving you a hard time.  Why not just add a "I like the color palettes as they are" option and everyone will shut up about it.    

I rephrased the question, thanks guys.    Hopefully this will help.

Edited: 06/27/2018 at 07:08 PM by BRNexus

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:04:35 PM
Mog (140)
Originally posted by: Lincoln

you should reframe the question, because obviously people can't grasp the concept that this isn't all about them.

But bunnyboy didnt say that....so....

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:05:52 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Mog

But bunnyboy didnt say that....so....

its a hypothetical question. pardon my poor sentence structure as i try to keep my head off my desk at work.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:06:41 PM
Mog (140)

its a hypothetical question. pardon my poor sentence structure as i try to keep my head off my desk at work.

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:07:19 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
It would be much easier for him to make a business decision if he saw the number of people who wanted a new palette vs people who didn't. It seems counter-productive to not show both sides.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:08:58 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

It would be much easier for him to make a business decision if he saw the number of people who wanted a new palette vs people who didn't. It seems counter-productive to not show both sides.

Please see new poll question. 

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:09:08 PM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
For the record, i fully understand that the current palette is staying and that there is a "palette" menu. You still have to make menu changes.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:41:59 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee

My angle is, if he can he should at least consider it. Perhaps he just doesn't know which palettes to implement because nobody has made a poll until now. 

More choice = more work, doesn't it?  Asking if people even want them first seems like a better idea, I mean, if 5 people out of everyone want new pallets, is that really worth the time and effort?

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:48:55 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >

More choice = more work, doesn't it?  Asking if people even want them first seems like a better idea, I mean, if 5 people out of everyone want new pallets, is that really worth the time and effort?

I really don't understand why we have to make this simple poll more complicated than necessary.  LOL, just want to see more options that is all. 

People do want them, just don't know how many, and this is only one forum.  Plenty of people own an AVS that don't use these forums, so obviously this poll will only see a small sample of AVS owners. 

If the amount of work required to add palettes isn't that difficult then its worth it even if only a small amount of users want it.  

I'm not questioning that a large percentage of AVS owners are perfectly happy with the current palette options.  That is fine, but some of us want more. 

Edited: 06/27/2018 at 07:55 PM by BRNexus

Jun 27, 2018 at 8:28:53 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Originally posted by: Mega Mario Man

I'm color blind, so switching palettes doesn't interest me.

I want a palette that shows how it looks to you   Do you think a certain custom palette could hypothetically make things more visible for you?

Jun 27, 2018 at 8:41:00 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: gunpei

Originally posted by: Mega Mario Man

I'm color blind, so switching palettes doesn't interest me.

I want a palette that shows how it looks to you   Do you think a certain custom palette could hypothetically make things more visible for you?

My TV back in the day had a color adjustment that could turn everything black and white. My meanest cousin used that to fool her younger brother into thinking he went colorblind. He actually fell for it for a few minutes.

Jun 27, 2018 at 8:41:31 PM
dougeff (13)
< Eggplant Wizard >
I can't keep up with FBX. He keeps changing the palettes.

He used to have one called Unsaturated YUV corrected, or something, that looked very good. I don't even know which one of his looks similar to that.

So...??? IDK.

nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

Jun 27, 2018 at 8:52:39 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: dougeff

I can't keep up with FBX. He keeps changing the palettes.

He used to have one called Unsaturated YUV corrected, or something, that looked very good. I don't even know which one of his looks similar to that.

So...??? IDK.
He's since retired making palettes, so these are pretty much his final palettes. 

Unsaturated 6 in the AVS would be closest I would assume, but given the name its been tweaked a lot.

Edited: 06/27/2018 at 08:52 PM by BRNexus

Jun 27, 2018 at 8:54:37 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
All of 'em. So I can flip through different ones. PC10 always has a weird palette for me though, but it'd still be fun to cycle through.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:04:41 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

All of 'em. So I can flip through different ones. PC10 always has a weird palette for me though, but it'd still be fun to cycle through.

In a perfect world that would be awesome, but trying to be somewhat realistic here lol. 

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:52:15 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida

Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

In a perfect world that would be awesome, but trying to be somewhat realistic here lol. 
Shoot, we can do it for everything else, why not palettes?  

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:05:07 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
You could have also included this in your other thread for the "AVS MK2?" Just a thought.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:27:23 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: Mega Tank

You could have also included this in your other thread for the "AVS MK2?" Just a thought.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=106&t...

Ehhh, thats a different topic entirely.     

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:33:50 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

Originally posted by: Mega Tank

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=106&t...

Ehhh, thats a different topic entirely.     

It could be an option if there was a new system to be released. There could be some financial incentive to working on adding more palettes in the future.

I understand you would want more palette options on the AVS, but you also have to understand that this would be free work being put in. As far as I can tell, they have been very helpful when it comes to trouble shooting issues and standing by their product, which is awesome. Oh, some companies charge for this type of support.

Thanks RetroUSB for being awesome!  

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e