Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Which Metal Gear Solid? Original or Twin Snakes?

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:20:43 PM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I own the original PlayStation version of Metal Gear Solid, but have never played it. I am trying not to read too much about the game, so as not to spoil anything for myself.

Is the GameCube version superior in aspects other than graphics? If you were to play through only one version of the game, which would it be?

-------------------------
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:31:27 PM
NES Nick (103)
(Nick Landrum) < Meka Chicken >
Ohio
The gamecube version has the ability to go into first person mode like MGS2 which is fun. They completely redid the cut scenes and they did a good job, but its a bit over the top at times. I prefer the presentation in the PS1 version better, but Twin Snakes is very good too. I'd really suggest to play through both, PS1 first and then cube. If you are going for just one I would play though the original. It just has a better feel to me overall.

Current NES collection:

546 Licensed
20 Unlicensed

Last Game Bought: Portal 2 and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Currently Playing: Super Mario 3D Land

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:36:07 PM
Silverspoon (33)
(Justin Steimer) < King Solomon >
Nebraska
Play them in order. Itll all make sense that way.

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:46:08 PM
ThatNintendoGuy (47)
(Jason B) < El Ripper >
Michigan
I have both, Twin Snakes has pretty much all the features of MGS2 I love to see it re-done in MGS4 graphics. If you have the time play both start with the Ps1 version then the GameCube. I love the MGS series

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:27:34 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
MGS Integral on PS1(JP) and PC also does first person. The GC version is superior in the audio visual department, but the gameplay fucking sucks, could not stand it at all. I've had both and still have the PS1 game. The GC updated the fluff, but screwed up the balance as they made the AI smarter and faster, made the bosses faster, fluid, and smarter too. The problem is, Snake moves like a classic Capcom 'tank' with slow controls and just dodgy so you get pounded over piss poor design. It was a true shame that they put so much work into making it pretty, and did nothing to make Snake move better in step with the upgrades to the enemy. The PS1 game may be more angular and grainy on the textures, but the gameplay is balanced and everyone moves enemy or friend as they should...it plays right, and in a game of needing to sneak or quickly take someone out, it's best to have the gameplay itself not betray you.