Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Help Wanted - Singer Izek Game Boy Sewing Machine Software gray prototype cartridge? Picture heavy (as usual)

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:35:18 AM
theirontoupee (53)
< Bowser >
Texas
Backstory:

A few weeks ago I noticed an odd Singer Izek sewing cartridge in a listing for the full setup. I figured it might be a fake since a lot of fakes of various GB games seem to be popping up more and more lately. However, I was confused as to why someone would want to fake THIS game...? I put it on the back burner of my mind/watch list because I had already spent my money on the Racermate Challenge II cart and console I recently posted about. Anyhoo, I noticed CZroe's thread on the recent Izek find at Goodwill, which later turned into a deeper discussion on this topic after he posted a pic of the cart from the listing. The two of us discussed what this thing could be via PMs and since my curiosity was peaked, I agreed to take the gamble on it once I had birthday funds at my disposal at the end of January. Luckily, the listing hadn't sold yet, most likely because of the seller's super high price in the first place. Over a few days, the seller and I went back and forth on haggling and me trying to get more details and pictures to no avail until we finally reached a number that was less than he wanted to get and more than I wanted to pay...lol... I will say however, that he did a great job packing the thing with massive amounts of bubble wrap and packing peanuts! It was from a pawn shop in Mary Esther, Florida called Trading Post Pawn and I wasn't able to get a response for more information on how this came to be there. I'm assuming someone just brought it in to sell/pawn as one would expect to do at a pawn shop! When I finally got the setup, the cartridge confused me even more! I let CZroe know what was up with it since I was now able to take more detailed pictures and (long story short) he felt it was most likely a prototype that was used as a replacement to the standard black GBC version for whatever reason. He can certainly explain in better detail when he sees this thread, but I certainly thought at first that maybe it was a similar situation to the MBR prototype-style boards that you more experienced collectors felt were maybe just a limited printing or something? P.S. Thank you to CZroe for your help and insight so far!

So the question is: Do I have a legit prototype of this already obscure game?

eBay listing - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-Iz...

Pictures:

Basically, the label is a crappy inkjet sticker label with the same info as a regular black version. However, underneath there is another label!?!?!?! I think I can make out a mix of Japanese and English on the label, but I'm unsure. You can even see weird "on/off" tables underneather the top label. There is no "Nintendo" anywhere on the acutal cart plastic and the screw in the back is a little (+) style instead of the security screw you would normally find. I don't think I can open it without tearing the top label...or at least I'm afraid to...Also, this cart is thicker than a regular GB cart and sticks up a tiny bit above the GBC cart slot. The game boots up identically to the regular black version and I didn't see any software version differences at first glance on the start up screens or looking through the different options for patterns/letters/etc.

Sticks up a bit farther than a regular game and does NOT fit in the standard GB plastic clamshell cases.

Here is a still from

that shows a very similar cartridge being used to demonstrate the machine:

CZroe also pointed out to me that the style of the label that is underneath on this cart was similar to a picture on nintendoplayer.com of an unreleased Resident Evil prototype:

Overall, I am happy with the purchase even though I spent more than what these setups usually go for since I haven't found another cart like this in my research anywhere else on the internet! Please let me know if I missed something! I was glad it all worked though!

BONUS!!!! Included in the listing was a brochure for the machine. I figured I'd scan it so it could be online with the rest of these pictures!

Outside (back and front):

Inside:

Thanks for your help!

-------------------------
WTB Thread (Always looking for Exertainment related items)

FO/FT Thread - Xbox, PS1, Gamecube, and more!

NintendoAge Official Exertainment Thread!!!

Edited: 02/12/2017 at 12:46 PM by theirontoupee

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:13:57 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Damn man, good eye.

I probably even looked at that listing as my Izek isn't complete. I need the Gameboy and game, but have everything else, including a sweet receipt and the box from QVC. Crazy, dude, I can't believe you caught that in the listing.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:41:07 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Moved this to Protoculture

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:54:04 PM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California
My first guess is less "prototype" in the traditional sense and more along the lines of it being a cart Singer slapped together and sold someone, like when you find an occasional Color Dreams retail cart with EPROMs inside. They probably weren't very strict with manufacturing quality guidelines for this thing, and I can easily see a scenario where they were out of manufactured carts/needed to throw something together quickly/etc.

My second guess is that it was part of an in-store demo unit. I specifically remember that Singer offered in-store demos at the time, because I tried to go find one (nobody in Las Vegas was doing it though). Maybe they used their leftover dev materials to make the demo carts instead of sacrificing a manufactured unit.

Edited: 02/12/2017 at 07:54 PM by TheRedEye

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:12:13 AM
theirontoupee (53)
< Bowser >
Texas
Originally posted by: TheRedEye

My first guess is less "prototype" in the traditional sense and more along the lines of it being a cart Singer slapped together and sold someone, like when you find an occasional Color Dreams retail cart with EPROMs inside. They probably weren't very strict with manufacturing quality guidelines for this thing, and I can easily see a scenario where they were out of manufactured carts/needed to throw something together quickly/etc.

My second guess is that it was part of an in-store demo unit. I specifically remember that Singer offered in-store demos at the time, because I tried to go find one (nobody in Las Vegas was doing it though). Maybe they used their leftover dev materials to make the demo carts instead of sacrificing a manufactured unit.

What about the label underneath though? Would that make this a prototype that then just had a retail label slapped on top?

Feb 13, 2017 at 1:34:21 PM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: theirontoupee

What about the label underneath though? Would that make this a prototype that then just had a retail label slapped on top?

Yes, that's official Nintendo prototyping equipment, which I acknowledged in my post by saying "leftover dev materials." 

This all depends on your definition of a "prototype."

1. Does "prototype" mean "hand-made internally" vs. factory-made? Then yes, this is 100% a prototype.

2. Is your definition of "prototype" more traditional, meaning it's a pre-production unit meant to demonstrate the functionality of what the final product will be? If that's the case, then I could go either way, for the reasons I already explained. We just don't know.

I'm guessing #1 is what video game collectors are comfortable with anyway so, sure, by all accounts this is a prototype. Maybe I just personally have a hard time wrapping my head around that definition as a developer myself. If I go into the office tomorrow and burn a DVD of the final version of Mega Man Legacy Collection, is that a prototype? Just because I made it in the office?

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:52:17 AM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States

Yes, that's official Nintendo prototyping equipment, which I acknowledged in my post by saying "leftover dev materials." 

1. Does "prototype" mean "hand-made internally" vs. factory-made? Then yes, this is 100% a prototype.

2. Is your definition of "prototype" more traditional, meaning it's a pre-production unit meant to demonstrate the functionality of what the final product will be? If that's the case, then I could go either way, for the reasons I already explained. We just don't know.

I'm guessing #1 is what video game collectors are comfortable with anyway so, sure, by all accounts this is a prototype. Maybe I just personally have a hard time wrapping my head around that definition as a developer myself. If I go into the office tomorrow and burn a DVD of the final version of Mega Man Legacy Collection, is that a prototype? Just because I made it in the office?

Ha be to agree with the logic behind this post. 

FS/FT/FO: Nintendo Handhelds, Demos/NFRs, Development Equipment, Prototypes, and more http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...
Always looking to buy Nintendo Not For Resale titles, Promo items, Development/Test Equipment, and Nintendo Platform Prototypes.

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:15:23 AM
theirontoupee (53)
< Bowser >
Texas
Originally posted by: JaxsBox

So is this an award icon warranting proto or simply an odd variant?

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:02:59 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

Originally posted by: JaxsBox

So is this an award icon warranting proto or simply an odd variant?

That's a tough call. If the dumped ROM contents are different from the other versions, it might be easier to call it a prototype.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:55:58 AM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
I look at it this way:
The cartridge was found with the machine. Either it was originally obtained with the machine or it was obtained as a replacement, but it almost certainly wasn't faked as obtaining the machine is as hard as obtaining the cart and no effort was made to hide it in a standard shell. It's almost certain that they didn't produce a significant quantity this way either, as the parts are expensive and it wouldn't pass muster with Nintendo.

To fulfill their obligations, it's possible that Singer raided their engineering/QA departments for spare parts when a replacement part was requested, but it's also more likely that they went into the warehouse prime with other replacement parts/warranty spares or were tossed in with refurbished units. It's possible that they packaged these with a select few retail units when they didn't need them anymore. It could also easily be early hardware for retail displays or test marketing, even if it's 100% final design/code (had to know it if was worth trying to sell).

The software was developed by Natsume as "Raku x Raku Mashin" for the Japanese Jaguar JN-100 sewing machine (exact same machine). Because Singer is not a game developer and they didn't even make this machine, it's very unlikely that they did the localization themselves. It's almost certain that all development and localization was also done through Natsume. I think it's kind of amusing that they proudly rebranded this thing to celebrate 150 years of their technological development when they didn't even make it, but that only makes the product more interesting.  

Where was I? Oh, yes: Singer may not have had a direct hand in developing or localizing the software code itself, but they still needed pre-production copies for testing, quality assurance, product packaging, and producing marketing materials, which is why we see one in their instructional video. Whether any feedback from them led to revisions to the final version, I don't know, but it could result in their prototype copies having earlier code (interested in a ROM dump!). Singer was probably responsible for all warranty claims in the USA and I wouldn't doubt that they used their early sample carts to fill warranty claims or to complete and sell off extra machines that they were only holding as warranty spares (once they were certain that all sold through official channels were out of warranty).

As for what constitutes a "prototype:"
Final code has never precluded a proto from being a proto, especially because protos are often refined and tested repeatedly until they are complete and are sometimes subsequently submitted for review or other purposes. If it was created as part of the development process outside of the final manufacturing process, even if it's a final version for review or demonstration, it's a prototype. If the NES Earthbound game was eventually released with the exact code that was on the prototype, would the proto cease to be a proto?

Well over a decade ago (heck maybe closer to 15 years) I found my Xexyz prototype in the wild on a shelf of used NES games. It had a covered up "MicroDen Corporation" property sticker, cross screws, an NES-SKEPROM-01 proto board, a cheap photocopied label, and pretty much everything this has, yet no one hesitated to call it a prototype. All indications are that the code was final. At least two more exactly like it have been found and few hesitated to call them prototypes either:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

MrMark0673 himself even said "Very clearly a proto," and he is probably the most prolific prototype collector on these forums.

Only major differences between this example and that: no property sticker and makeshift label is color.

Because this is almost certainly official and it did not go through the usual manufacturing process, I have no problems calling it a prototype... even if they intentionally sold it to an end user. If I recall correctly, Atari has done that with 5200 consoles after cobbling together spares of every model to sell off when it reached EOL.

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:23:03 PM
Xerxes (20)
(Xerxes Dole) < El Ripper >
Ohio
This is in my opinion a prototype. It looks like it is on official Dev hardware. I also agree with many of CZero points.

If you want more information from the cart, the best solution is to dump the cart (or have it dumped). Even if turns out to be byte for byte identical I would still consider it a prototype. You can also open it up and take a look inside. But I don't know that I would; you do not want to rip that label.

You seem to be neglecting the other parts when trying to figure out the story. What can the console tell you? What about the machine itself?

Thanks for the good pictures.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:33:02 PM
theirontoupee (53)
< Bowser >
Texas
Originally posted by: Xerxes

This is in my opinion a prototype. It looks like it is on official Dev hardware. I also agree with many of CZero points.

If you want more information from the cart, the best solution is to dump the cart (or have it dumped). Even if turns out to be byte for byte identical I would still consider it a prototype. You can also open it up and take a look inside. But I don't know that I would; you do not want to rip that label.

You seem to be neglecting the other parts when trying to figure out the story. What can the console tell you? What about the machine itself?

I did check the machine over and compared it to my other one. I didn't notice any differences or markings between the two. However, the VHS that came with it did not have a label and came in a vertical/bottom opening sleeve instead of the usual side opening sleeve. I don't have access to my VCR at the moment so I'll have to review it just in case. I do have two other IZEK VHS tapes that have different labels so I know there are variants there!

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:44:29 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia

Ah! Good point. I did notice that the GBC in the video was not a NA region GBC because it had a foil serial instead of a paper barcode for the Nintendo SIRAS system. The auction here shows a retail-boxed GBC, so I doubt this one will be different but it sounds like Toupee is already finding differences with the VHS tape. No label? It's starting to sound more and more like Singer cobbled it together for an inventory blowout or early test market/demo kit.

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:42:21 PM
Xerxes (20)
Ohio
It seems unlikely to be an end of life thing. Someone at digital press contacted a singer rep in 2005 and was told that they only recently sold out of the carts. It seems like the carts were more plentiful machines.

https://forum.digitpress.com/foru...

Something else I bumped into looking for info is the parts list.

http://www.parts.singerco.com/CPp...

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:52:07 PM
theirontoupee (53)
< Bowser >
Texas

It seems unlikely to be an end of life thing. Someone at digital press contacted a singer rep in 2005 and was told that they only recently sold out of the carts. It seems like the carts were more plentiful machines.

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?55783-game...

http://www.parts.singerco.com/CPpartCharts/1_19999/1500_IZEK...

Weird the cart isn't on the parts list.

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:51:04 PM
Xerxes (20)
Ohio

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?55783-game...

http://www.parts.singerco.com/CPpartCharts/1_19999/1500_IZEK...

Weird the cart isn't on the parts list.

I know right. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:12:57 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
You know what? I saw that brochure before you bought it and it was familiar from the rest of my research so I assumed it was something originally included with every machine, but now that I can read the particulars I'm not so sure. It sounds more like it was written to promote the features to spur sales and less like it was written to familiarize new users with the machine and its abilities. Now I think it was familiar because I saw it in that auction one of the times I looked before noticing the proto. I recall watching some kid's unboxing so I'll look that up again to see.

If not normally included, this kind of brochure indicates that it was a marketing unit of some kind (pitch, test market, retail or trade show demonstration, etc).

Edited: 02/22/2017 at 09:24 PM by CZroe

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:32:29 PM
Xerxes (20)
Ohio
What else did the system come with? Manual, box, anything?

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:34:56 PM
theirontoupee (53)
< Bowser >
Texas

What else did the system come with? Manual, box, anything?

No box, but everything else you need. The original listing is posted in the first post above if you want to check it out. The only different things were the cart and the brochure.

Mar 4, 2017 at 4:25:32 PM
Famicom Billy (0)
< Cherub >
Hey , What's about I Am A Teacher : Super Mario Sweater?

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:22:00 PM
theirontoupee (53)
< Bowser >
Texas
Originally posted by: Famicom Billy

Hey , What's about I Am A Teacher : Super Mario Sweater?

Wut?

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:39:51 AM
Famicom Billy (0)
< Cherub >
A Famicom Disk System game wich teach to you how to make mario themed sweaters , the game is educational , bad , extremely rare , and super expensive.

Aug 27, 2017 at 11:39:06 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
I've seen a video of that one before with a bunch of Mario characters. Really confusing!

Anyway, I didn't realize that this was released in other regions than Japan and North America:

I think it's kinda funny that Singer tried to sell it in other markets too considering that they were just rebranding the Jaguar JN-100. Guess Jaguar needed them as an international brand partner and not just North America.  

Edited: 12/11/2018 at 11:07 AM by CZroe

Dec 10, 2018 at 5:46:29 PM
PamelaSmith (0)

< Cherub >
Out of 10 presented sewing machines there is one the best. Best Heavy Duty Sewing Machine 2018: Review and Solution and this article can be read on our website https://thecozyholic.com/best-hea..., which contains many sections and reviews.

Dec 10, 2018 at 5:50:30 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
SPAM alert