Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

I have a youth pastor friend that wants me to set up a classic video game night for his teen group

Aug 01 at 1:46:47 PM
hatlessspider (7)
(Trevor ) < Tourian Tourist >
Indiana
I did it once before probably 4-6 years back and it was a huge hit, but back then more people still had crt tvs and there were a couple we were able to use at the church. It was still a pretty big hassle even with that going for us since we had to lug TVs all over, not to mention all of the systems I had to set up. What is a way I can streamline this? At the church there are quite a few newer style TVs that I can use, but as I understand it I would need a converter for each tv so that it does not lag or have distorted video. My friend told me the youth group has a pretty decent budget, but I don't think they'd be able to shell out a ton for each TV to get them properly running. Is there a cheaper converter option that still functions well enough to do the trick?

Thanks in advance for any help

Aug 01 at 1:51:21 PM
theirontoupee (53)
< Bowser >
Texas
Maybe cheaper to just set up a bunch of the mini-consoles....

-------------------------
WTB Thread (Always looking for Exertainment related items)

FO/FT Thread - Xbox, PS1, Gamecube, and more!

NintendoAge Official Exertainment Thread!!!

Aug 01 at 1:54:04 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
What systems are you looking to hook up?

If it's 8 and 16 bit, I'd just get some Raspberry Pi Zero kits, a few USB controllers and load them up with ROMs.

Aug 01 at 2:02:43 PM
beardcore84 (7)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
Bust out Bible Adventures, it's sure to be a hit.

Follow me on Instagram - CodysGameRoom

Aug 01 at 2:09:19 PM
LostLevel83 (142)
< Meka Chicken >
Oklahoma
Depending on the TVs, you may not need additional hardware. A lot of modern TVs still have composite inputs. The picture won't be amazing, but it wasn't going to be anyway with 8 bit or 16 bit graphics. At the least, I'd try hooking them up to see. Some TVs even allow you to chose to display in the native 4:3 aspect ratio.

I like pizza.

Aug 01 at 2:11:03 PM
hatlessspider (7)
Indiana
I'd rather not do emulators, part of the wonder of it is playing the old hardware itself.

As far as the systems, last time I did from Atari 2600 all the way up to dreamcast.
Nes, SNES, N64 PS2, PS1, the works

Aug 01 at 2:12:37 PM
hatlessspider (7)
Indiana
Bible games night is actually a solid idea.
All I would have to hook up would be a few systems and they could test out all the awful games.
Although spiritual warfare is a solid game

Aug 01 at 2:15:58 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: hatlessspider

I'd rather not do emulators, part of the wonder of it is playing the old hardware itself.

As far as the systems, last time I did from Atari 2600 all the way up to dreamcast.
Then you're looking at considerably more expense to hook up all those systems to modern TVs.

Get a RetroTink for each system/TV. $100 a pop.
http://www.retrotink.com/...

Aug 01 at 2:21:06 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Agreed, use the mini Classic consoles with HDMI built-in. Hack them to add any games you want. Unless those aren't the games you're trying to play. What systems are you shooting for? The 4-player ones might be better for bigger groups.

Aug 01 at 4:03:27 PM
Viper0hr (81)
(Ryan R) < Ridley Wrangler >
Florida
Be sure to bring Demons Crest  

Aug 01 at 4:47:02 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
How many kids are in the group? I'm just curious given how many TVs and consoles you mention.

Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: hatlessspider

Then you're looking at considerably more expense to hook up all those systems to modern TVs.

How so? If the TVs have composite (and RF for the Atari). I know some don't these days but this hasn't been stated yet.

Edited: 08/01/2019 at 04:48 PM by gunpei

Aug 01 at 5:33:47 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Have you checked thrift stores for CRTs? Big places like Goodwill and ReStore don't accept CRTs, but there's still a small stack of them at one of the religious rescue mission and one of the pet-based thrift stores by me.

If it's more about size/convenience than cost RetroTink would be the easiest "cheap" setup, but I wouldn't personally spend $100 per TV for a one time church event. I'd probably just let them live with the bad HDTV composite. Surely you need a CRT for at least the Atari though.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Aug 01 at 5:45:08 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: gunpei
How so? If the TVs have composite (and RF for the Atari). I know some don't these days but this hasn't been stated yet.
He did say he wanted undistorted video. RF on an HDTV isn't pretty.

Aug 01 at 7:20:59 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Oh, gotcha

Aug 01 at 10:20:43 PM
VelvetElf (2)
< Tourian Tourist >
Illinois
is it bad that i read that post subject headline and thought.......hmmm this sorta sounds like a setup that i'm not sure i'd be comfortable attending alone.....

ISO NES sealed games.  Current targets = Tyson 

Aug 02 at 12:28:34 AM
hatlessspider (7)
Indiana
I think last time we did it there was around 40 that attended. Although some played dodgeball instead of gaming.

We may just try using the composite video output for most game systems, and maybe I will lug my 200 lb tv in for Atari and duck hunt.

Ive been considering buying converter so maybe I'll just buy one retrotink and see if my friend would buy one so we at least have a couple tvs with good quality video

Thanks for all the suggestions!