Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Holy crap. Analogue Super NT!!!! Preorder up now!

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:04:36 PM
romevi (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
The controller isn't included, right? You have to buy that separately?

-------------------------

"When you desire to play video games as much as you desire the air you breathe, then you will have the time to play video games."
- Socrates

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:05:10 PM
TuSecsy (14)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Originally posted by: romevi

Yes, but you absolutely 100% should not ever buy an 8bitdo controller, they're garbage.

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:10:01 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: TuSecsy

Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Explain to me how this makes rgb obsolete? if you have a PVM, usually original hardware is still the cheaper option.

If you have a PVM, original hardware is still the only option.  Future is digital folks, like it or not.

If that's true, then everything you say can also be done on a Raspberry Pi. At least the casuals, who dwarf us in number, will go that route (or just use their PCs.)

The collector/gamer market is much smaller, split between those who want original hardware down to the chips and those who want something like this. It's not a huge market.

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:12:23 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

Explain to me how this makes rgb obsolete? if you have a PVM, usually original hardware is still the cheaper option.

If you have a PVM, original hardware is still the only option.  Future is digital folks, like it or not.

LOL 

Enjoy your hdmi clone, ill stick with the real thing. 

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:16:18 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
I wonder if this is based on VeriSNES?

I really want one.

Really really really want one.

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:18:12 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

Originally posted by: romevi

Yes, but you absolutely 100% should not ever buy an 8bitdo controller, they're garbage.

???

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:22:54 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

...and the name of the company selling this pure-digital console is kinda contradictory  

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:25:57 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

LOL 

Enjoy your hdmi clone, ill stick with the real thing. 

I mean, he's not necessarily wrong. I like the idea of a PVM, but what if it breaks in 5 years? They're not readily available like an HDTV, and thats a big reason why I'm still on the fence for either option. I want whatever I decide to do to be a long term solution with as little headache as possible once its all set up

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:29:02 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Bert

I mean, he's not necessarily wrong. I like the idea of a PVM, but what if it breaks in 5 years? They're not readily available like an HDTV, and thats a big reason why I'm still on the fence for either option. I want whatever I decide to do to be a long term solution with as little headache as possible once its all set up

It's a nice little unit, especially if you have SNES carts, and the fact that it plays ROMs from other systems is a nice addon, but it's not the end-all, be-all of retrogaming. People gravitate to what they perceive they want, not necessarily what is the absolute best.

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:34:30 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: Bert

It's a nice little unit, especially if you have SNES carts, and the fact that it plays ROMs from other systems is a nice addon, but it's not the end-all, be-all of retrogaming. People gravitate to what they perceive they want, not necessarily what is the absolute best.

I missed his first comment, yeah definitely not the end all be all  

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:40:45 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
That was my whole response, TuSecsy made it seem like it now that this is out you could just throw all the other consoles in the garbage because this was going to be the new thing that makes everything obsolete.

Is it cool? Yeah for sure. Just not for me (and other I know will pass)

If my PVM were to fail in 5 years I would have it repaired or find another.

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:46:20 PM
winterion (16)
(Daniel Greenberg) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
As someone interested in long-term preservation and curation of this stuff, FPGA is a huge benefit, and migrating it into the 16-bit era is nothing but tremendous news.
This was a no-brainer pre-order for the studio.

Daniel Greenberg, Founder of Winterion Game Studios Daniel Greenberg, George Mason University Game Design
Founder of Winterion Game Studios
Visit us online! winterion.com
Watch us on YouTube

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:49:11 PM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Yawn.

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:55:13 PM
lojack44 (99)
(Logan M) < Kraid Killer >
California
I'm on the fence about getting one. It's cool that it is HDMI-capable, but I already have a one-chip SNES and a 20L5 PVM that I just had recapped/ calibrated...

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:56:25 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

That was my whole response, TuSecsy made it seem like it now that this is out you could just throw all the other consoles in the garbage because this was going to be the new thing that makes everything obsolete.

Is it cool? Yeah for sure. Just not for me (and other I know will pass)

If my PVM were to fail in 5 years I would have it repaired or find another.

Yeah the other options are definitely not obsolete, I plan to stick with my RGB modded SNES.  

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:27:05 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Nothing other than the price. Good option for those who dont want to deal with RGB, but no thanks for me.

I can't stand analogue with their overpriced crap, but I guess people buy their stuff because they keep churning out more clone (fpga) consoles. At least is This is a decent price. PASS
I think the significance of this might be lost on you. As much as we all want something like UltraHDMI or Hi-Def NES for SNES, we can't because of the way the two PPUs work together (PPU handles the graphics). This is the closest we can get to an authentic Hi-Def SNES.

If this is based on VeriSNES, as I suspect, it's actually MORE authentic than Nintendo's own 1chip SNES consoles. The internal hardware of 1chip consoles has always been likened to clones due to some notable errors that exist in all clones. Indeed, it seems that all SNES clones use the 1chip design and contain the same errors (probably sold on the black market). VeriSNES reversed the SNES hardware so thoroughly that it should be able to simulate different revisions of the SNES hardware from the earlier, more-accurate, hardware right down to the inaccuracies of the 1chip. If "authenticity" is a concern then let this sink in:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/vi...

Making something like this for a real SNES has a host of issues, including how to interface with various hardware configurations (2 PPUs, combined PPUs, 1chip, etc). With a real SNES there is no single place to interface for digital video like the N64 with UltraHDMI and BOTH PPUs would have to be simulated. Heck, I'm not familiar enough to know for sure, but they might not even have digital video accessible on the board at all (much like the NES PPU). Even if they have digital video accessible between them on the earlier consoles with discrete PPU1 & PPU2, there's no good way to interface with them considering that they aren't thru-hole components.

The way Hi-Def NES works is by interfacing between the PPU and the motherboard while replicating the PPU's functionality in its FPGA (along with the sound hardware in the system/game paks). That means it's *almost* an FPGA clone of the whole system already, which is why Kevtris was able to so easily adapt it to the Analog NT Mini (finished cloning the CPU and various hardware bits in the FPGA). Doing the same as Hi-Def NES for SNES means simulating both PPU1 & 2, which means serious compatibility concerns due to hardware/board revisions. My understanding is that it can't work with a 1chip at all unless it also replicated the CPU, and at that point it's basically an Analogue Super NT anyway.

As for people just "buying Analogue stuff," that's not how I see it at all. I've never bought their stuff, but I've bought Kevtris' stuff. If it takes Analogue to make that happen, so be it.

The original Analogue NT was essentially a Hi-Def NES AV Famicom in a custom PCB with 72 pin NES adapter. Once jailbroken, the Analogue NT Mini was basically Kevtris' long-teased Zimba 3000 FPGA console. The one thing Zimba 3000 lacked was SNES and all through the development of VeriSNES I dreamed for Kevtris to incorporate it. When I heard that jwdonal (the creator of VeriSNES) was planning to sell the VeriSNES Verilog for someone else to commercialize and then I heard that Hi-Def NES was delayed because Kevtris was working on something big, I put 2 and 2 together and began celebrating because I just knew my dreams were coming true!

This has nothing to do with Analog's sheeple customers who just love paying luxury prices for their stuff. It's elite community members bringing us the awesome things we want/demand. The price is just icing on top! If our favorite community/hobbyist engineers need to work with a company like Analogue to make it happen, so be it. It's really no different than a Super AVS, which I doubt any of us would object to. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a behind-the-scenes bidding war for VeriSNES!

Originally posted by: Hubz

People that say the NT Mini is crap blow me away. You're getting more than just NES such as Gameboy, Master System etc. all in one console. It's in a nice case with a wireless controllers, analog and HDMI output. I understand people don't like the price but for what you're getting it's a steal if you use it to it's full potential. Try replicating it's video output one system at a time and you'll spend FAR more.
...and those same people praise the AVS! They don't seem to realize that it is another community/enthusiast-engineered product just because of the price and the company's prior product. The reputation of the Analogue NT non-Mini precedes it.

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:36:55 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
I guess Nintendo should have made the SNES Classic Edition original hardware except replace HDMI with RGB-only. Yeah! That'll sell millions. We can totally expect actual users to be able to use it with their current equipment. GREAT IDEA!

RGB is simply not a marketable alternative to HDMI, not even among most enthusiasts. Even Jason from GameTech, as many RGB mods as he has installed, STILL can't properly experience an RGB-modded (or native, for that matter) console. Why? Because his PVM has been broken for years and has a purple hue. If even the most elite of us still can't be bothered to have a proper RGB setup, how can we expect the average enthusiast to put up with the trials of RGB in North America?

I don't know about you guys, but I like to play with other people and when I take my console somewhere there's absolutely no chance that I'll be able to connect with RGB here. PVMs are great, but you're pretty much tied to your man cave if you consolize your MVS (Analogue's even earlier product) with RGB-only or cut composite for C-sync on your Turbo Duo or whatever. I don't just want to improve my options, I want to EXPAND my options.

This is the first and only Analogue product that I've been excited for. I hope the haters can see what makes it special from a technical standpoint and appreciate what it actually brings to the table.

Edited: 10/16/2017 at 02:57 PM by CZroe

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:39:41 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: CZroe

If this is based on VeriSNES, as I suspect,
Nope, its kevtris' own design.  He pretty much never uses anyone else's work.  Right now VeriSNES is based on too expensive hardware.

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:44:05 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Nope, its kevtris' own design.  He pretty much never uses anyone else's work.  Right now VeriSNES is based on too expensive hardware.
Interesting. I'm sure it puts a damper on VeriSNES' marketability. Anyway, it's the code/reverse-engineering that matters most and VeriSNES has certainly been thorough in that regard so it should be adaptable now that the hard part has been accomplished. Perhaps this could give you some bargaining room if you were interested in putting in a bid for a Super AVS.  

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:44:23 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I'll be interested to see how it reviews.

The price point is much more realistic than their other consoles, so I'm glad they got over themselves about those ridiculous aluminum shells.

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:44:27 PM
TuSecsy (14)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Please don't compare FPGA to software emulation/ras pi, you just look stupid.

This makes the following items obsolete for me personally....NT mini, modded snes mini, pc engine with grafx booster, genesis, sd2snes, mega everdive x7, turbo everdrive. All for 190$. And that's not even counting if there's a neo geo core, then it replaces a 500$ system and a 400$ flash cart.

If you only do hdmi, how is this not the case?

This is the biggest game changer in retro gaming, probably ever, you'll see.

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:44:58 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Interesting. I'm sure it puts a damper on VeriSNES' marketability. Anyway, it's the code/reverse-engineering that matters most and VeriSNES has certainly been thorough in that regard so it should be adaptable now that the hard part has been accomplished. Perhaps this could give you some bargaining room if you were interested in putting in a bid for a Super AVS.  

Bunnyboy? SNES? You're funny.  

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:45:46 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Please don't compare FPGA to software emulation/ras pi, you just look stupid.

Thanks for the ad hominem attack. You clearly didn't read the whole post.

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:46:22 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

Nothing other than the price. Good option for those who dont want to deal with RGB, but no thanks for me.

I can't stand analogue with their overpriced crap, but I guess people buy their stuff because they keep churning out more clone (fpga) consoles. At least is This is a decent price. PASS
I think the significance of this might be lost on you. As much as we all want something like UltraHDMI or Hi-Def NES for SNES, we can't because of the way the two PPUs work together (PPU handles the graphics). This is the closest we can get to an authentic Hi-Def SNES.

If this is based on VeriSNES, as I suspect, it's actually MORE authentic than Nintendo's own 1chip SNES consoles. The internal hardware of 1chip consoles has always been likened to clones due to some notable errors that exist in all clones. Indeed, it seems that all SNES clones use the 1chip design and contain the same errors (probably sold on the black market). VeriSNES reversed the SNES hardware so thoroughly that it should be able to simulate different revisions of the SNES hardware from the earlier, more-accurate, hardware right down to the inaccuracies of the 1chip. If "authenticity" is a concern then let this sink in:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=46303

Making something like this for a real SNES has a host of issues, including how to interface with various hardware configurations (2 PPUs, combined PPUs, 1chip, etc). With a real SNES there is no single place to interface for digital video like the N64 with UltraHDMI and BOTH PPUs would have to be simulated. Heck, I'm not familiar enough to know for sure, but they might not even have digital video accessible on the board at all (much like the NES PPU). Even if they have digital video accessible between them on the earlier consoles with discrete PPU1 & PPU2, there's no good way to interface with them considering that they aren't thru-hole components.

The way Hi-Def NES works is by interfacing between the PPU and the motherboard while replicating the PPU's functionality in its FPGA (along with the sound hardware in the system/game paks). That means it's *almost* an FPGA clone of the whole system already, which is why Kevtris was able to so easily adapt it to the Analog NT Mini (finished cloning the CPU and various hardware bits in the FPGA). Doing the same as Hi-Def NES for SNES means simulating both PPU1 & 2, which means serious compatibility concerns due to hardware/board revisions. My understanding is that it can't work with a 1chip at all unless it also replicated the CPU, and at that point it's basically an Analogue Super NT anyway.

As for people just "buying Analogue stuff," that's not how I see it at all. I've never bought their stuff, but I've bought Kevtris' stuff. If it takes Analogue to make that happen, so be it.

The original Analogue NT was essentially a Hi-Def NES AV Famicom in a custom PCB with 72 pin NES adapter. Once jailbroken, the Analogue NT Mini was basically Kevtris' long-teased Zimba 3000 FPGA console. The one thing Zimba 3000 lacked was SNES and all through the development of VeriSNES I dreamed for Kevtris to incorporate it. When I heard that jwdonal (the creator of VeriSNES) was planning to sell the VeriSNES Verilog for someone else to commercialize and then I heard that Hi-Def NES was delayed because Kevtris was working on something big, I put 2 and 2 together and began celebrating because I just knew my dreams were coming true!

This has nothing to do with Analog's sheeple customers who just love paying luxury prices for their stuff. It's elite community members bringing us the awesome things we want/demand. The price is just icing on top! If our favorite community/hobbyist engineers need to work with a company like Analogue to make it happen, so be it. It's really no different than a Super AVS, which I doubt any of us would object to. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a behind-the-scenes bidding war for VeriSNES!

People that say the NT Mini is crap blow me away. You're getting more than just NES such as Gameboy, Master System etc. all in one console. It's in a nice case with a wireless controllers, analog and HDMI output. I understand people don't like the price but for what you're getting it's a steal if you use it to it's full potential. Try replicating it's video output one system at a time and you'll spend FAR more.
...and those same people praise the AVS! They don't seem to realize that it is another community/enthusiast-engineered product just because of the price and the company's prior product. The reputation of the Analogue NT non-Mini precedes it.

Everything I say is from my opinion.

your tangent about the snes mini being rgb is irrelevant.  

I get that its cool that it has hdmi, but I haven't taken a console anywhere in 20 years. If I did, I would use a cheap hdmi-composite adapter because most people wouldnt see the difference (or care). 

Its neat and convienent for people that will use it. Talking about it like it is the most amazing thing ever is silly. Analogue will sell a bunch by filling a niche that no one else has. 

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:47:50 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=46303

Everything I say is from my opinion.

your tangent about the snes mini being rgb is irrelevant.  

I get that its cool that it has hdmi, but I haven't taken a console anywhere in 20 years. If I did, I would use a cheap hdmi-composite adapter because most people wouldnt see the difference (or care). 

Its neat and convienent for people that will use it. Talking about it like it is the most amazing thing ever is silly. Analogue will sell a bunch by filling a niche that no one else has. 
"Tangent" about "RGB on SNES mini?" Sounds like you quoted the wrong post. Did you mean to quote someone else? I said "1chip" particularly to avoid narrowing the conversation to the SNS-101 "SNES Mini" and, even then, didn't bring up RGB.

Edited: 10/16/2017 at 02:59 PM by CZroe