Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Strange label cut on a Grey Control Deck Test Cart NTSC-U Shell. Need a legitamacy check on the board / EEPROMS please!

May 31, 2016 at 4:20:13 PM
Shinju (53)
(Nintendo Collector) < Ridley Wrangler >
Washington
Hey all!

A local Portlander got her hands on a Grey white lable test card, the lable looks suspect but with these test carts it could be a home made or something else.

Anyway, a few of us are trying to check its legitamacy, the chips are from 84/86 but can still be bought new old stock.

I know there is a couple of Test Cart pro's here that have the POWER!

EEPROMS:

MBM2764-30 Fujitsu RO is from 84 but you can still buy them new old stock, the MBM27256-75 RO is from 86 and still can be bought today from new old stock.

bunnyboy, Limbofunk, Penguine?!

Oh and the cart is not for sale, please do not ask  

Thank you in advance!

Photos attached!

-------------------------

Edited: 05/31/2016 at 04:51 PM by Shinju

May 31, 2016 at 4:26:39 PM
fsped09 (234)
(( nes-city.com )) < King Solomon >
New York
Am I seeing a glossy label? To my knowledge those labels were simply printed without gloss. I remember the guy who I bought mine from specifically told me not to try and clean the label as the ink would just smudge. The color seems ok, white with a hint of yellow from time

May 31, 2016 at 4:33:01 PM
Shinju (53)
Washington
Originally posted by: fsped09

Am I seeing a glossy label? To my knowledge those labels were simply printed without gloss. I remember the guy who I bought mine from specifically told me not to try and clean the label as the ink would just smudge. The color seems ok, white with a hint of yellow from time
Lable is glossy, good eye!

I cannot recall if mine were or not, and my Famicom Testcart is buried in my NES Test Station. But yes I am with you as far as I now these were cut like retail lables but had no gloss.

May 31, 2016 at 4:43:54 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
If my memory is correct the only service carts with glossy labels are the NTF2 ones but I have no way of knowing if that's a definitive answer.

Date codes on the EPROMs look good. Label color looks good to me. Does the label glow under blacklight?

May 31, 2016 at 7:08:26 PM
CD2193 (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Texas
The printed label on the CHR EPROM is very similar in style to those used on old Nintendo arcade PCBs. Look up photos of, say, a Donkey Kong or Popeye PCB and you'll see what I mean.

And, after searching said info on the chip, it looks like the chip may have been recycled from a Punch-Out!! arcade PCB? If that is indeed the case (which it seems like it is), then chances are high that it is legit. It'd be very odd for someone making a fake to just randomly use an EPROM scavenged from an old Punch-Out!! Rev. B board.

Edited: 05/31/2016 at 07:11 PM by CD2193

May 31, 2016 at 8:10:45 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
I believe the label may be fake after more research.

As noted previously the only label I know of that is laminated is NTF2.
The corners are rounded a bit much.
Other examples of the Control Deck Test Cartridge do not have the trademark symbol after World Class Service, they have a period. (http://www.gamesniped.com/wp-cont... and http://nintendoagemedia.com/users... and http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFg...~5/$_1.JPG)

The font on the top label is wrong. It's too compact and the E spacing is not even like it is on a real label I rotated them and sized them to match. (it also appears too bold)

If as asked above the label glows brightly under black light the paper contains an optical brightener which were more widely used in more modern paper for it to appear more white. Even if the paper was artificially aged the optical brightener would still be present. If it was also printed with a modern home printer you'd likely find yellow microdots in the image. https://www.eff.org/issues/printe...

Edited: 05/31/2016 at 08:19 PM by AaronE

May 31, 2016 at 9:15:09 PM
Shinju (53)
Washington
Good stuff guys!

Thank you for the info so far!

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:34:56 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Originally posted by: AaronE

I believe the label may be fake after more research.

The corners are rounded a bit much.

Corners should be pointy.
Also Shinju check the back label. Test carts should not have any embroidered numbers.

Playas Guide Logo

Edited: 06/02/2016 at 12:27 AM by ne$_pimp

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:46:13 PM
Penguin (239)
(Justin AKA Penguin) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
The label is clearly a reprint. The board looks correct to me, along with age to the EPROM stickers. These grey test carts were sold later in the service programs life, and many of them didn't even have labels, which was probably the case for this one, so someone printed a label for it.

Looking for Black cartridge Color Dreams games, last 3 I need:  Metal Fighter, Moon Ranger, Baby Boomer.  Please contact me if you have any of these!

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:07:26 PM
Shinju (53)
Washington
Originally posted by: Penguin

The label is clearly a reprint. The board looks correct to me, along with age to the EPROM stickers. These grey test carts were sold later in the service programs life, and many of them didn't even have labels, which was probably the case for this one, so someone printed a label for it.

Thank you Penguin.

This is exactly what I was thinking too but just wanted someone with a little more knowledge behind them to verify the boards legitamacy.

Thank you everyone for your input and help!