NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

First game you're going to play on the AVS Poppin that AVS cherry

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:31:56 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: avlon

I'm on the East coast, and I picked mine up from the Post office this morning. The first game that I tried on it was Paperboy, followed by Castlevania 3, since those tend to give clone consoles a fit.

So far I'm happy with it. Updated to the latest firmware, and all but 2 of my games work. One is Bubble Bobble, which for some reason, won't work on any clone but works great on my original top loader, and I'm OK with that.

The other is Final Fantasy 7, which I'm going to assume is due to the unique mapper that it uses. Game works perfect on my top loader NES, and my Super Retro Trio. Retron 5 craps out (but can run the ROM) , and all my other homebrew runs like a champ on the AVS.

Hopefully, this is something that can be fixed through a firmware update. Here is a video of FF7 running on the AVS, SRT3, and NES.

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gCm..." width="500">>
Is FFVII Famicom a bootleg release? I was under the impression there were only three games released on Famicom (and SNES titles which recieved different Roman numeral suffixes than their SFC counterparts).

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 09/13/2016 at 08:32 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:36:41 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

I'm on the East coast, and I picked mine up from the Post office this morning. The first game that I tried on it was Paperboy, followed by Castlevania 3, since those tend to give clone consoles a fit.

So far I'm happy with it. Updated to the latest firmware, and all but 2 of my games work. One is Bubble Bobble, which for some reason, won't work on any clone but works great on my original top loader, and I'm OK with that.

The other is Final Fantasy 7, which I'm going to assume is due to the unique mapper that it uses. Game works perfect on my top loader NES, and my Super Retro Trio. Retron 5 craps out (but can run the ROM) , and all my other homebrew runs like a champ on the AVS.

Hopefully, this is something that can be fixed through a firmware update. Here is a video of FF7 running on the AVS, SRT3, and NES.

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gCm..." width="500">>
Is FFVII Famicom a bootleg release? I was under the impression there were only three games released on Famicom (and SNES titles which recieved different Roman numeral suffixes than their SFC counterparts).

Yes, it was originally a chinese bootleg that was popular enough that it got a complete English translation.

Thread:  http://www.romhacking.net/forum/i...

It can't be played on an Everdrive, or Powerpak because it uses its own mapper.  Works perfect on the OG NES, and Retro Trio though.  Because of this, I'm hoping to be able to play it on the AVS soon in sweet 720p.

Check out my Youtube Channel @ https://goo.gl/KuSvJc !! Thank you! 

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:42:40 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

Yes, it was originally a chinese bootleg that was popular enough that it got a complete English translation.

Thread:  http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=12466.0

It can't be played on an Everdrive, or Powerpak because it uses its own mapper.  Works perfect on the OG NES, and Retro Trio though.  Because of this, I'm hoping to be able to play it on the AVS soon in sweet 720p.
Assuming the game is not too large or the mapper exhibits exotic behavior, it should be possible to write plugins for PowerPak/Everdrive. But if either ROM is larger than 512kbytes, it is a no-go on either flashcart.

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:46:06 PM
ginoscope (20)
(Gino R.) < Meka Chicken >
Texas

I just tried my final fantasy VII and it worked on the AVS.  

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:48:07 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York

Assuming the game is not too large or the mapper exhibits exotic behavior, it should be possible to write plugins for PowerPak/Everdrive. But if either ROM is larger than 512kbytes, it is a no-go on either flashcart.

From my understanding, it's 2MB...so it's a no go on any flashcart.  It actually starts up and runs on my AVS, but as soon as I come out of the in game menu, or come out of a battle, the game completely corrupts (as shown in the video) and becomes unplayable. Edit: And here is the mapper:  https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.p...

On a positive note, Haunted Halloween 85, and Legends of Owlia run fantastic from my tests.

Edited: 09/13/2016 at 08:49 PM by avlon

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:05:31 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
Originally posted by: ginoscope

I just tried my final fantasy VII and it worked on the AVS.  

Hmmm... the plot thickens.  Did you go into the menu and come back out?  Have any battles?
Mine boots up and runs, but corrupts after a while, and it's only happening on the AVS.

Edited: 09/13/2016 at 09:47 PM by avlon

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:20:10 PM
neodolphino (179)
(Justin ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
FFVII works fine for me on a proto AVS... saves and all... battles... whatever...

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:50:24 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Bad mapper? Hey that looks like a proto AVS, unless you like running it with the cover off!  

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:34:42 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: neodolphino

FFVII works fine for me on a proto AVS...

Hey that looks like a proto AVS, unless you like running it with the cover off!  

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Edited: 09/14/2016 at 01:36 AM by KHAN Games

Sep 14, 2016 at 6:37:59 AM
neodolphino (179)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

XD

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:28:45 AM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee

I'm going to play the Madness of Marbles. Just need my darn console to ship.

I approve of this, wholeheartedly.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:14:14 AM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: xMaGuSx

One of these 4 for the first time properly on an actual NES. Well close enough lol

Metroid
Castlevania
Mega man 2
Ninja gaiden

Which one did you start with? I popped in my Everdrive and Metroid was the first thing I played.

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:16:44 AM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: ookii_risu

One of these 4 for the first time properly on an actual NES. Well close enough lol

Metroid
Castlevania
Mega man 2
Ninja gaiden

Which one did you start with? I popped in my Everdrive and Metroid was the first thing I played.

Unfortunately it got shipped to my old address (parents) because i didn't update it! So i am waiting to pick it up this weekend  

But i honestly think it is going to be either castlevania or metroid, or maybe both if i am feeling squirrly. 

Can't wait. 

gamevaluenow

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:20:00 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

XD
I forgot how to read LOL!  

Edited: 09/15/2016 at 01:21 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:32:17 AM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania

Originally posted by: ookii_risu

Metroid
Castlevania
Mega man 2
Ninja gaiden

Unfortunately it got shipped to my old address (parents) because i didn't update it! So i am waiting to pick it up this weekend  

But i honestly think it is going to be either castlevania or metroid, or maybe both if i am feeling squirrly. 

Can't wait. 

Awww   At least you'll be able to play soon. You can see Simon's eyeball with the AVS  

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:40:07 PM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Ninja Gaiden, no doubt.

| gameplay and talk |

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:47:36 PM
garbanzo (6)
< Little Mac >
Colorado
Just received delivery confirmation. Just a few more hours until I can dive in  

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:48:54 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Austin

Ninja Gaiden, no doubt.
Score is wiped from memory immediately when you lose final life. Even with Scoreboard, the developers found a way to make life unfair. They must have secretly planned for this feature, even back in the 80s when they first developed it!  

Edited: 09/15/2016 at 02:49 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:50:48 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Ninja Gaiden, no doubt.
Score is wiped from memory immediately when you lose final life. Even with Scoreboard, the developers found a way to make life unfair. They must have secretly planned for this feature, even back in the 80s when they first developed it!  
Can you pause it as the screen flashes?

Sep 15, 2016 at 3:04:19 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Ninja Gaiden, no doubt.
Can you pause it as the screen flashes?

But this itself requires Ninja Gaiden style reflexes. Blink even once, and your score is forever lost in the ether where deleted/lost bits go to die...

Edited: 09/15/2016 at 03:04 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Sep 15, 2016 at 3:21:56 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Ugh, tough choice. By the time I'll get one, (I'm thinking about getting one when I plan to study in Japan for a year in 2 years) I'm sure Brony Blaster and (Hopefully) Deal or no Deal will be out  . Definitely gonna play one of my games first on that thing!

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Sep 15, 2016 at 5:09:20 PM
garbanzo (6)
< Little Mac >
Colorado
I chose Namco Star Wars, then moved on to SMB Special. Now it's Castlevania time.

First impression: No time for that now, gotta go play more! This thing is amazing  

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:22:16 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

I'm coming for you, Mog.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:06:56 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York

FFVII works fine for me on a proto AVS... saves and all... battles... whatever...

Interesting.  Another user on FB posted with the same issue that I have, and he's also having it on his Nes Pokemon' cart. 

What I find most interesting about this is that my copy works perfectly on my NES and SRT... but of course, with crap video output. 

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:10:25 PM
neodolphino (179)
Pennsylvania

Interesting.  Another user on FB posted with the same issue that I have, and he's also having it on his Nes Pokemon' cart. 

What I find most interesting about this is that my copy works perfectly on my NES and SRT... but of course, with crap video output. 

I have pokemon yellow as well for the NES and it works, I believe.