Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Closed SNES Contest: January - Super Mario World + A Link to the Past Winners - Gloves & Gloves

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:54:47 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: TheFinder

I may have to give up my perfect run on LTTP. Can't get past the Turtle Rock boss. I spent an hour and a half or two hours today just working on that. I can't seem to beat him. I run out of magic before I can kill the second head, and if that happens, you have to start over. Might try later or I might give in and get a bottle and green potion. Who knows?

Also going to try SMW. We will see how that goes.

Just don't miss and make sure you get at least one hit off every successful hit. If you've not tried doing so already, I suggest using the hammer instead of the sword (double damage compared to the Master Sword). Hammer has less reach but it's well worth it IMO.

-------------------------

Jan 26, 2018 at 9:55:13 PM
Ausden (13)
(Jonathan ) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Score Update

Jan 26, 2018 at 10:40:14 PM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Gloves

I may have to give up my perfect run on LTTP. Can't get past the Turtle Rock boss. I spent an hour and a half or two hours today just working on that. I can't seem to beat him. I run out of magic before I can kill the second head, and if that happens, you have to start over. Might try later or I might give in and get a bottle and green potion. Who knows?

Just don't miss and make sure you get at least one hit off every successful hit. If you've not tried doing so already, I suggest using the hammer instead of the sword (double damage compared to the Master Sword). Hammer has less reach but it's well worth it IMO.

Thanks for the tip on the hammer. That might be the trick I need. I know I’ve gotten close several times. There were times where I’m positive I needed one more hit on the head, but I was out of magic so I had to reset. It was very frustrating.

To the Finder...
The Isle of Koholint is but an illusion...
Human, monster, sea, sky...
A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye...
Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle...
Cast-away, you should know the Truth!

My FS/WTB threads: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jan 26, 2018 at 10:47:31 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

Thanks for the tip on the hammer. That might be the trick I need. I know I've gotten close several times. There were times where I'm positive I needed one more hit on the head, but I was out of magic so I had to reset. It was very frustrating.

To make retries easier, go outside a few rooms over (the bottom one with the laser eyes) just before the boss. If you bomb the south wall you can step outside, and doing so will set your mirror to the spot where you re-enter the dungeon. So if you're a hit away from death, or run out of mana, just mirror out of the boss. You can refill your hearts and mana by using magic sand on the anti-fairies for health and using the Mana pot in the room before the boss. This makes a retry take about 1-2 minutes to get back to the boss, instead of having to reset and do the whole dungeon again.

Jan 26, 2018 at 10:53:41 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

I was planning to give SMW a go but... apparently I don't own it! xD

for shame.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Jan 26, 2018 at 10:58:09 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: Bert

I was planning to give SMW a go but... apparently I don't own it! xD

for shame.

I know I used to own it... I must have sold it in anticipation of a CIB copy... then never bought a CIB. It's on my list of to-buys!

Jan 26, 2018 at 11:33:45 PM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois

Thanks for the tip on the hammer. That might be the trick I need. I know I've gotten close several times. There were times where I'm positive I needed one more hit on the head, but I was out of magic so I had to reset. It was very frustrating.

To make retries easier, go outside a few rooms over (the bottom one with the laser eyes) just before the boss. If you bomb the south wall you can step outside, and doing so will set your mirror to the spot where you re-enter the dungeon. So if you're a hit away from death, or run out of mana, just mirror out of the boss. You can refill your hearts and mana by using magic sand on the anti-fairies for health and using the Mana pot in the room before the boss. This makes a retry take about 1-2 minutes to get back to the boss, instead of having to reset and do the whole dungeon again.

I had bombed the wall and was using that as the mirror warp, but I don’t have the magic powder. I am trying to get as few items as possible (though I technically messed that up by getting the first boomerang). So I had to farm single hearts, warp so they’d reset, and keep doing that until I was full. Occasionally, I would get lucky and an enemy would drop a fairy, which was very nice, but that didn’t happen too frequently.

To the Finder...

Jan 27, 2018 at 10:47:46 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Yes!

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Jan 27, 2018 at 5:31:24 PM
Murray (34)
(Count of Tuscany ) < El Ripper >
Colorado
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Yes!

Get past the menu yet!? 

Score update! Your move Ausden. Now only one question remainds.. Will Questy ever find the strength to turn on his SNES?  

"Why's that guy wearing a suit to a garage sale?"

Jan 27, 2018 at 5:37:09 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
I just realized that SMW is on the SNES Classic...

I'm a goddamn idiot.

Jan 27, 2018 at 5:55:52 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

I'm a goddamn idiot.

I was going to say something, but I didnt want to make you feel like a goddamn idiot. And here we are

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Jan 27, 2018 at 6:05:40 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: Bert

I'm a goddamn idiot.

I was going to say something, but I didnt want to make you feel like a goddamn idiot. And here we are

Here we are indeed.

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:16:54 PM
Ausden (13)
(Jonathan ) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Murray

Yes!

Get past the menu yet!? 

Score update! Your move Ausden. Now only one question remainds.. Will Questy ever find the strength to turn on his SNES?  

Score updated. Don't mind my dog Oscar in the bottom left. Had to get serious after you called me out and pulled out the cart  to play.

Edited: 01/27/2018 at 09:18 PM by Ausden

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:29:15 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Gonna go hit the gym. Haven't died yet, but figure I'll post my progress so far:

Jan 27, 2018 at 11:53:01 PM
Murray (34)
Colorado

Gonna go hit the gym. Haven't died yet, but figure I'll post my progress so far:

Goddamnit Doug  

Jan 27, 2018 at 11:56:15 PM
Murray (34)
Colorado
Originally posted by: Ausden

Yes!

Get past the menu yet!? 

Score updated. Don't mind my dog Oscar in the bottom left. Had to get serious after you called me out and pulled out the cart  to play.

Haha, awesome man. Nice score!  

Jan 28, 2018 at 12:15:14 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Back home. Beat it! Just shy of 2mil. Could have broken it had I not used every shortcut in the game lol.

Jan 28, 2018 at 12:37:16 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

Goddamnit Doug  

I had already crushed everyone too, but I died at soda lake on accident and didnt feel like posting yet lol.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:49:43 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
I hopped on Twitch and did a very brief demo of some point farming techniques. In the process I also found a kinda sorta almost maybe contest-breaking point farming method (shown at the end of the stream).

twitch.tv/videos/223188929

Firstly, the more obvious "jumping on turtles".

Followed by "jumping on dinos".

Basically just... keep an eye out for repeatable enemies and exploit them. If you can get 8k from jumping on some dudes and then hop in a tube to reset them, do that.

Then, some fun knowledge - the centipedes in the forest award points when you jump on them EQUAL TO THE POINTS FROM THE PREVIOUS ENEMY! So, if you jump on the right amount of enemies so that the last jump will get you 8k points, and then jump on a centipede after getting 8k, you'll get ANOTHER 8k. Unfortunately this only works once per jump sequence, as hitting ANOTHER centipede will then go up to a 1UP per usual.

And then, something I noticed while doing my playthrough, but didn't bother testing until just now live on Twitch... The cape feather counts as an upgrade compared to the fire flower, but when you have both in your "inventory" (one equipped, the other in the box) the game lets you swap back and forth between the two. Whenever you "upgrade" from fire flower to cape feather, the game awards you 1000 points, as though you were picking up a power up from a block. Thus, with both in inventory, you can swap back and forth to get 1000 points every 2 or so seconds (well worth it). Even MORE broken though, and I demonstrate this in the video above (at the end), if you position yourself near the top of the screen you can just mash Select, and you'll be awarded the 1000 points over and over again at a very quick pace. Doing this slows the clock down as well (as it always does when "upgrading"). I'm going off memory here, but I believe I got around 150k points in about 50 in-game seconds.

I don't know if you want to ban that last one Brock, as it's rather... exploitable? I mean, you're still a slave to the timer, but at the end of the day if not banned this will become (in these last few days anyway) a matter of people getting this combo, then just getting to the end of every level and spamming Select for points, and exiting the level when the timer runs out. As I say, I only really experimented with this just now, and did not use it at all in my run. Had I used it, I've no doubt I'd have had a much... MUCH higher score.

Edited: 01/28/2018 at 01:54 AM by Gloves

Jan 28, 2018 at 2:15:29 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
I found those two point farming techniques as well. Didnt say anything because i thought they were obvious and shouldnt be used. Those better not be allowed. I made a point not to do any farming whatsoever and just maximize points as they came.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 01/28/2018 at 02:19 AM by quest4nes

Jan 28, 2018 at 2:53:38 AM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Sometime back in the 80's my brother was invited to a skateboarding contest. He went and placed 2nd place, only because there was this guy that knew more tricks than he did.
Actually that never happened.
I'm gonna get my scores up tomorrow for this contest. Not gonna use the point pressing spots in Mario because I have zero patience for that in this game. I do however think you should all go balls to the wall, point press and see who does it better.
Now that's a contest I'd like to see.

Jan 28, 2018 at 7:19:40 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Richardhead

Sometime back in the 80's my brother was invited to a skateboarding contest. He went and placed 2nd place, only because there was this guy that knew more tricks than he did.
Actually that never happened.
I'm gonna get my scores up tomorrow for this contest. Not gonna use the point pressing spots in Mario because I have zero patience for that in this game. I do however think you should all go balls to the wall, point press and see who does it better.
Now that's a contest I'd like to see.

I agree. If there is a point pressing technique, no matter how lame, it has to be allowed or you go for low score. The timer still limits the use of any point pressing techniques. Otherwise you would end up with people getting higher scores because they accidentally used it. Or even a better player getting a lower score because they can run through the whole game without losing a single power up. Compared to a player running through the game with the exact identical run but lost a power up once or twice. 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:40:39 PM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois

I had bombed the wall and was using that as the mirror warp, but I don’t have the magic powder. I am trying to get as few items as possible (though I technically messed that up by getting the first boomerang). So I had to farm single hearts, warp so they’d reset, and keep doing that until I was full. Occasionally, I would get lucky and an enemy would drop a fairy, which was very nice, but that didn’t happen too frequently.

I don’t know if I’ll be able to beat it without the help of the gmedicine of magic or something. I just tried again for an hour, and I couldn’t do it. I need more practice with the hammer. I would frequently be too close and get hurt or be too far and miss. I don’t know if I’ll have time to beat it before the end of the month...

To the Finder...

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:50:06 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Fair points guys, I just wanted to share. I'm not really aiming to come in and own every contest by any stretch, just have fun and share info.  

Jan 28, 2018 at 3:42:08 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Ill have to review when I get in the office tomorrow and actually have a moment to myself, but if sentiment is to ban them, theyll be banned

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131