Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Cobra Triangle - NES Anyone else like this game?

Jun 22 at 5:07:54 AM
Frenetic Zetetic (1)
< Little Mac >
New Hampshire
Recently acquired my second cart-only copy of Cobra Triangle of the NES. Man, is this game neat! Reminds me a bit of R.C. Pro Am; isometric, tight controls, cool levels, etc. Anyone else remember/have any cool experiences with this seemingly-underrated NES title?

Jun 22 at 9:29:36 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I love cobra triangle. First time I played it was probably 89' or 90', i was 7-8 years old. Great game. One of my favorites. It gets tough in the later levels, "save the people" can be a pain. Jump the waterfall can be tricky. I think Rare did both games (Rc pro am and cobra).

In the time cobra triangle came out cigarette/go fast boats were a big deal (add the fact I was raised in the Florida keys and grew up with my dad commercial fishing. Boats were our life) so the first time I played this game, it could only be the coolest thing ever. Lots of nostalgia, for me and still holds a top spot among the nes library.

-------------------------
 2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Edited: 06/22/2019 at 09:31 AM by skinnygrinny

Jun 22 at 10:13:56 AM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
It's an awesome game, a forgotten classic that everyone should play. I always remember it because it was one of the games on the poster that came with my NES.

Jun 22 at 12:57:12 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I played this for the first time for the weekly contests last year and made it to near the end. I thought it was easier than RC Pro-Am but still very challenging. RARE likes to make hard games.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Jun 22 at 1:34:02 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
I always did the Level 1 trick to max my items before continuing on. Great game.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Jun 22 at 1:39:30 PM
StudyHallPanic#@! (6)
(Jason M Hill) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
I havent played this an an adult but have a fond memory of renting it with my best friend and playing it for hours one weekend back in the day. It's always been on my mental "that game's good" list but just havent gotten around to it since I started collecting. Perhaps I'll give it a shot tonight.

Jun 22 at 1:46:55 PM
LifeGame (63)
(M D) < El Ripper >
Quebec
One of my childhood classics, love it

NES games to finish my licensed set -S.E. :  DOWN TO 2

LITTLE SAMSON, DINO PEAK

NES licensed : 674/677

Jun 23 at 3:04:20 AM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
way too hard!

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Jun 23 at 5:08:48 AM
Frenetic Zetetic (1)
< Little Mac >
New Hampshire
It's definitely challenging. Good to see I'm not the only one who enjoys it! My buddy and I might do a review for his channel later this summer. I'll definitely link it here when it's completed!

Jun 23 at 9:36:02 AM
Hoskat (11)
(Matt Hosley) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
This is one of the few games I owned as a kid so played it quite a lot. I really enjoyed it then and still do now. I have never beaten it but gotten close. The level that hung me up as a kid was Level 13 with the icebergs. Nothing feels quite as satisfying than hitting all the ramps in the Jump the Waterfall levels perfectly.

Jun 23 at 1:03:33 PM
Frenetic Zetetic (1)
< Little Mac >
New Hampshire
I made it to about level 20 or so last night. The difficulty picks up fast after level 15 for me. This one screams "rental" in a good way! The waterfall parts are a real challenge for sure.

Jun 23 at 1:32:11 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Frenetic Zetetic

I made it to about level 20 or so last night. The difficulty picks up fast after level 15 for me. This one screams "rental" in a good way! The waterfall parts are a real challenge for sure.

For the waterfall I always did that trick where you wait like a second and then hope that all of the ramps line up so you can jump them all in one go.

I never reached the second waterfall stage. I don't think the trick works there.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Jun 24 at 12:09:37 PM
Frenetic Zetetic (1)
< Little Mac >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: mbd39

For the waterfall I always did that trick where you wait like a second and then hope that all of the ramps line up so you can jump them all in one go.

I never reached the second waterfall stage. I don't think the trick works there.

I wasn't even aware there was a trick in the first place  . I didn't grow up with this one (I didn't know of its existence until like, two years ago), so it's all new to me!

Jun 24 at 12:23:18 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
One of the few games I had as a kid. I played it a lot, but never was any good at it. I realized years later what the pods did, I thought they were just points when I was a kid so I never got any of the upgrades. Explained why I never got very far, I think the 2nd monster was my best.

Jun 24 at 9:28:22 PM
austin532 (91)
(Mike ) < El Ripper >
Arizona
One of my favs. My friend had it and I would rent it every now and then. It gets balls to the wall hard no doubt but is still fun. I like how it takes the isometric view from R.C. Pro-Am and uses the Gradius style power up system. It's too bad it never took off into it's own series. There are mini games in the GBA version of DKC 3 that pay homage to it.

Here is a 100% CIB for reference.

My Ultimate 100% CIB NES Collector's Guide
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

NES, SNES, + misc. stuff for sale here

Jun 25 at 12:17:43 AM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
The only game I ever sent a photo of a high score to Nintendo Power.

Jun 25 at 5:36:10 AM
austin532 (91)
(Mike ) < El Ripper >
Arizona
Did you get picked?

Jun 25 at 5:52:48 AM
Frenetic Zetetic (1)
< Little Mac >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: austin532

One of my favs. My friend had it and I would rent it every now and then. It gets balls to the wall hard no doubt but is still fun. I like how it takes the isometric view from R.C. Pro-Am and uses the Gradius style power up system. It's too bad it never took off into it's own series. There are mini games in the GBA version of DKC 3 that pay homage to it.

Here is a 100% CIB for reference.

Beautiful!

I have to admit, I have yet to come across a less-than-stellar cart-only copy. It's like there are no damaged versions of this cart in the wild. My friends and I joke about that lol.

Jun 25 at 6:44:57 AM
austin532 (91)
(Mike ) < El Ripper >
Arizona
It's a challenging game that I feel flew under the radar of many NES owners back then. So it didn't get a whole lot of usage meaning the carts are in great shape.

Jun 25 at 10:58:37 PM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
I've always enjoyed this game, but man is it brutal. I've been working on my first completion with it but am still struggling at it.

| gameplay and talk |

Jun 26 at 2:23:21 AM
austin532 (91)
(Mike ) < El Ripper >
Arizona
Yeah it's tricky. The key is to upgrade FIRE and MISSILES first. Use FIRE upgrade #4 (4-way shot) on Guard The People stages and upgrade #5 (spread shot) on bosses. Upgrades 4-6 loop infinity.

Jun 26 at 3:23:08 AM
Frenetic Zetetic (1)
< Little Mac >
New Hampshire
I'm kind of obsessed with the controls in this game, guys. It's essentially perfect to me. It's incredibly tight and responsive, and I always know where I'm going. It doesn't feel cheap or flawed in difficulty due to control...a real rarity! I'm getting to about level 22 on average now after roughly 30 mins of gameplay.

Jun 26 at 4:31:18 PM
austin532 (91)
(Mike ) < El Ripper >
Arizona
You're so close, only two more levels. Well technically three but it's just the ending.

Jun 26 at 6:15:26 PM
8thStPHX (5)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
This has always been one of my favorite games. I've beaten it several times in my life (as a kid and also as an adult), although it's much easier to do with the NES Max turbo.

Jun 26 at 11:02:11 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States

I'm kind of obsessed with the controls in this game, guys. It's essentially perfect to me. It's incredibly tight and responsive, and I always know where I'm going. It doesn't feel cheap or flawed in difficulty due to control...a real rarity! I'm getting to about level 22 on average now after roughly 30 mins of gameplay.

The controls are pretty similar to RC Pro-Am.  You should check that one out too if you haven't already.