Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NES connector v2

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:03:49 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
I had my original Retron 5 replaced under warranty, and the second revision has been far more durable.
Problem is the software updates are hit or miss in terms of compatibility. Virtua Racing just stopped working as of the last update, a game that was working perfectly fine prior to that.
Of course, most homebrew won't work on it. Guessing that Hyperkin isn't working with indie devs to get their games compatible.

-------------------------
  Check out my Youtube Channel @ https://goo.gl/KuSvJc !! Thank you! 

Oct 23, 2017 at 7:33:36 AM
pezmed (0)
< Little Mac >
Mississippi
I'm glad everyone can remain civil here about this topic.

I think the AVS is a solid product, but it's not perfect like most gaming consoles.

An email would be nice to get updates for sure. Most of us know about the forum here if we own an AVS, I suppose, and RetroUSB Support did post about the new connectors here, eventually.

They did fix the USB port issue on the second batch which is commendable. See pictures I posted in "AVS in the Pipe(waiting).

This machine is not massed produced so I'm glad they cared enough to make it even better.

I would recommend the AVS to anyone on the fence and sets a realistic expectation that no system is perfect. Thumbs up!

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:53:54 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: teh lurv

I purchased my AVS from a Retro Game store back in March, so I don't know exactly when it rolled off the manufacturing line. Is there any ID # on the unit that can tell me which batch my console came from?

Not that I'm aware of, but precisely zero of the second batch shipped before August? of this year, so if you purchased your AVS *anywhere* prior to the second batch arriving and being shipped out, it's one of the first run units that would need a replacement cart connector and, very possibly, the USB port fix as well.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Oct 23, 2017 at 1:46:27 PM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
Appreciate Retrousb finally getting this fixed and available...but not super happy with paying $3.76 and having to open my system up a second time. Not the price, rather the principle.

I swore Bunny promised to get us fixed connectors for free...but I understand the hit they would take if they covered shipping so not gonna cry over it.

Even more bothered however that it's suggested to modify our systems ourselves, and additionally bothered that I didn't get an email from Retrousb that it was available for a few weeks now...I don't check the AVS section of the site and happened to run into this randomly.

Running list of issues I personally had with my AVS experience just for perspective:

- Preordered the 1st run AVS like an awesome consumer, then had to wait a significant amount of time after launch to receive my system because I ordered a launch game with it. The games were delayed so I got to sit back and read all the fun everyone else was having. It should have been shipped out separately. Really made me regret buying a launch game.

- While I was waiting for my AVS, I sat anxious as I read about everyone else's issues with the USB connector disconnecting. Very happy to report that mine was modified by Retrousb before receipt with a bracket - so maybe the first issue was a blessing in disguise?

- When I finally got my AVS, the pin connector was entirely missing! Seriously, nothing there, had to contact Retrousb and got a replacement in the mail. So had to open the system then the first time.

- Green stripe fiasco - not a huge impact to me personally but now I have to spend more money to get a "good" pin connector and will have to take the time to modify my own system. I understand it's the logical thing to do for a smaller based company but I never expected to modify anything. Opening my system a 2nd time.

- AVS wireless controller - regret purchase. Very pricey controller, and so loud I can't use it next to the sleeping wife like I can with literally every other controller I have. Was not a huge fan of the feel/control either, so will be putting up for sale soon.

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:00:44 PM
Johnny5alive (2)
< Meka Chicken >
Texas
Oh man... So what did I miss? is there a link for why my launch release system may not work right? What's this all about? Honestly the only problem i've experienced is that the Famicom disk drive cart is a PITA to seat properly into the space with the cord sticking out the back of the odd horizontal famicomDD cart.

NES - 120
N64 - 94
N.A N64 systems. - 7/9
CIB Famicom System & Disk Drive
Daiei Hawks and Jusco 30th Anniversary consoles
Nintower of Power (CIB Radnet N64DD - CIB CD64 - Z64 - Tristar)

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:24:35 PM
Brachabre (9)
(Weiner Tacos) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Originally posted by: Johnny5alive

Oh man... So what did I miss? is there a link for why my launch release system may not work right? What's this all about? Honestly the only problem i've experienced is that the Famicom disk drive cart is a PITA to seat properly into the space with the cord sticking out the back of the odd horizontal famicomDD cart.
kind of an oversight in my opinion.

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:35:36 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Johnny5alive

There have been a couple of known issues since the first units arrived in end user hands roughly a year ago.

The one that one reviewer noticed is that the microUSB connector can be accidentally snapped off due to it only being surface mounted on the board and being mounted in such a way that hitting any cable plugged into it can cause it to break off the board.  retroUSB implemented a fix for these connectors by drilling small holes nearby the feet of the connector, seating nylon washers against the feet (and underneat the board) to prevent any electrical shorts, then locking the washers & port itself to the board using small screws & nuts.  A 3D printed piece to hold against the top of the case was said to be in development, with a screenshot or two provided, but so far there's been no additional mention of it since last year, despite multiple inquiries on here as well as to retroUSB support.

The primary issue is that bunnyboy accidentally sent off the design for a non-final cart connector when sending the original batch in for production, causing the cart connectors to not be as deep as they could/should be.  For the vast majority of cartridges (including the PowerPak & EverDrive), this isn't an issue.  However, it was quickly discovered that there is a seemingly random subset of cartridges (spanning multiple titles and years, but not consistently across titles, etc.) where the back pins on the cartridge don't reach all the way to the edge of the board and which have a visible green stripe where the bottom of the pins should be.  These cartridges have to be pushed very hard into the original connectors to make good enough contact to work in the AVS.  As of a few weeks ago, a new connector to correct this issue came into stock and was offered to original AVS owners for the cost of shipping.

Hope this helps get you caught up.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:06:58 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: teh lurv

I purchased my AVS from a Retro Game store back in March, so I don't know exactly when it rolled off the manufacturing line. Is there any ID # on the unit that can tell me which batch my console came from?

Did you look at the link? 
http://retrousb.com/product_info....

If you got your console in March 2017, then it was shipped before Sept 2017   

Oct 24, 2017 at 7:45:03 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Jesus christ was it a pain in the ass getting that system open, but I did, and replaced the connector with the new one.

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:12:12 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
My AVS saga continues. Just emailed support since my AVS bricked itself on an update back from 1.10 to 1.20. It's been stuck on Reprogramming firmware 1/16 for an hour now... *sigh*

Updates are normally less than 5 min and go smooth.

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:38:54 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Man, that bites.

Did you try a factory reset, or is it totally non responsive?

Factory reset: up, select, start, a and b on a controller in Port two.

Edited: 10/24/2017 at 10:40 PM by Tulpa

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:14:41 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: avlon

My AVS saga continues. Just emailed support since my AVS bricked itself on an update back from 1.10 to 1.20. It's been stuck on Reprogramming firmware 1/16 for an hour now... *sigh*

Just close scoreboard and reflash it again. No big deal.

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:57:09 AM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Man, that bites.

Did you try a factory reset, or is it totally non responsive?

Factory reset: up, select, start, a and b on a controller in Port two.

Thanks for the tip.  I get a blinking red light on the console and a black screen on the TV.  No luck with a reset.

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:59:31 AM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
Originally posted by: Mog

Originally posted by: avlon

Just close scoreboard and reflash it again. No big deal.

Thanks.. tried that with 2 different PC's, and even a Mac using scoreboard v1.12.  It will detect the AVS, begin flashing the firmware, and then get stuck on reprogramming 1 of 16. The AVS light then goes off and it will get stuck there regardless of OS, or what .bin file I try to flash.

This thing is starting to get on my nerves. I'm tempted to go Negan on this thing at this point.

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:53:44 AM
Selective_Memory (0)
< Cherub >
Man. I should really log in to check up on things more often.

I got my AVS off ebay back in March, so I went ahead and just ordered a replacement connector. I haven't had any problems with my games yet, but every game that I'm able to, I dump onto my PowerPak to play them. I figure I'll fix it now in case I get a "green stripe" game in the future.

I'm honestly more worried about the mini-USB port more than anything. I'm really careful with it when I'm moving it around and tried carefully globbing a little bit of epoxy over the top (I doubt it'd help much if I royally screwed up, but I like to think it helps keep it down).

I'm sorry to hear that people are having issues with their units. I hope a fix will present itself for you guys soon.

Dec 19, 2017 at 12:32:30 PM
StuOhQ (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
I still haven't ordered my replacement yet lol. Most of the games that have problems on the first run of connectors will still play using the "left thumb" trick  

Retro Tech Select
Check out my YouTube Channel for old-school gaming goodness!

Jan 9, 2018 at 9:52:57 AM
senorchocotaco (20)
(Alex ) < Little Mac >
Ohio
Quick bump: does anyone have a good non-permanent solution to the micro-USB port brace? I was going to message bunnyboy to ask about the 3D printed solution, but I would need instructions on how to mod/mount it in the case. I will be opening up my AVS this weekend to do the connector swap and plastics mod (mine arrives Friday), so hopefully that will go well.

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:34:13 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: senorchocotaco

Quick bump: does anyone have a good non-permanent solution to the micro-USB port brace? I was going to message bunnyboy to ask about the 3D printed solution, but I would need instructions on how to mod/mount it in the case. I will be opening up my AVS this weekend to do the connector swap and plastics mod (mine arrives Friday), so hopefully that will go well.

I'm pretty sure the 3D printed piece was just supposed to fit over top of the port and touch/press against the top of the case when it's attached, making it so that the port can't move.  If you get any sort of update or response on the 3D printed piece, please post it as there's a bunch of us wishing this would actually become available.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:27:17 AM
senorchocotaco (20)
(Alex ) < Little Mac >
Ohio
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

I'm pretty sure the 3D printed piece was just supposed to fit over top of the port and touch/press against the top of the case when it's attached, making it so that the port can't move.  If you get any sort of update or response on the 3D printed piece, please post it as there's a bunch of us wishing this would actually become available.

I'm just going to cut-and-paste the exact response I got on this. It sounds like there's not as much to worry about as I had thought; if anything ever happens to short out my AVS I'll just work it out with retroUSB.

Hello!

This is not Brian, he does not answer messages.

No, we do not have anything on a 3D printed brace yet. Other than doing the mod we did, which is drilling holes and using small screws with nuts/washers, there is not much else that we found to reinforce it well.

I would not worry too much about the USB port. Most that were broken, broke within the first few uses. The issue was that some of the ports were not properly attached to the board. Not because the design is weak or bad. The launch AVS on my desk here has traveled around, been to expos, dropped on the floor a couple of times, hooked up and unplugged many many times, and everything still is good with it. 🙂

If you ever do have any problems we are more than happy to help you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you!

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:36:32 AM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
I just ordered a replacement board also. Dragon Warrior, Ninja Gaiden, and Double Dragon II will not play with the current board.
On the usb port, I was thinking about just putting some foam between the connector and the pbc, but I will have to see if that is possible when I open it up.