Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

VGA qualified 90+ Kid Icarus

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:05:49 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
^ Agreed. And this is also the first response from a person who is actually "the market" for this type of item. T-Bird is going for Minty Qualified Black Boxes if I recall, and cited sealed prices as one of the factors.

If people like him are the demand, then the price is ultimately going to reflect what they are willing to pay. I find it hard to believe that the rate would be approximately 50%, because those guys could still afford the sealed if they just were willing to be more patient. The price has to be discounted enough to make it worth their time.

Also, no one has mentioned this key point. There's plenty of collectors who can't even spot reseals (especially new guys), so it is also certainly possible that some collectors automatically assume that a VGA slab = sealed. It's definitely possible that they could overpay for a Qualified game thinking it is brand new factory sealed.

-------------------------
WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:18:31 PM
1upped (40)
(A S) < El Ripper >
United States
- well, if anybody has a qualified 85-90 DK Math, I'll give them 2k for it no questions asked ;P - and I agree with many of T-bird and Jones points above, except I think certain titles are an exception to the rule, more specificially black box because of the limited supply and excessive demand - the Duck Hunt pick up was a stellar deal and if I saw it, I wouldn't have thought twice about getting it for that price even though I own it sealed - I would never pay 50% for a common title or even somewhat rare title

Are you clever enough to unravel the mystery of Clu Clu land?

Edited: 01/02/2011 at 12:19 PM by 1upped

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:24:02 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: 1upped

- well, if anybody has a qualified 85-90 DK Math, I'll give them 2k for it no questions asked ;P - and I agree with many of T-bird and Jones points above, except I think certain titles are an exception to the rule, more specificially black box because of the limited supply and excessive demand - the Duck Hunt pick up was a stellar deal and if I saw it, I wouldn't have thought twice about getting it for that price even though I own it sealed - I would never pay 50% for a common title or even somewhat rare title

Yeah, my points were directed at the "average" qualified game.  If you guys are stating that a sealed Kid Icarus is almost equal in rarity to a DK Math, the pehaps $1k is right.  But DK Math is also a clear capstone to a sub set, and I don't see Kid Icarus having near as much demand.  Then again, maybe Kid Icarus has amazing gameplay (never played it), and someone with a nice bank account has some major nostalgia for it.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:44:44 PM
T-Bird (6)
(J.T. McCallum) < Crack Trooper >
Ontario
To illustrate my point a little further, here is another example. I think most would agree that an 85 Mario Kart would be at least a 1k game, well this Q85 has been sitting on Ebay for two weeks at 15% of it's sealed value with not a single taker.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SNES-Super-Ma...

Jim

The Power Glove, it's so bad.

Paying a Premium for truly mint CIB Black Box Games !!!

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:15:39 PM
TheFrisbee (194)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Max (Ray) Frisbee) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Ha, glad this has sparked such a discussion.

Oh, and I don't have one... yet.

[18:07] osg: It is my lifelon goal to be in everyone's signature

Current project: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:18:15 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: jonebone

Yeah, my points were directed at the "average" qualified game.  If you guys are stating that a sealed Kid Icarus is almost equal in rarity to a DK Math, the pehaps $1k is right.  But DK Math is also a clear capstone to a sub set, and I don't see Kid Icarus having near as much demand.  Then again, maybe Kid Icarus has amazing gameplay (never played it), and someone with a nice bank account has some major nostalgia for it.

well there are quite a few more KIs than DK maths, but there aren't a lot of either.   I do think 1k+ for a qualified 90+ KI, 1k is not unreasonable given the price of sealed KI's.        After all, 5k+++ would be the sealed rate in that kind of shape

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 01/02/2011 at 02:28 PM by Bronty

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:19:17 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: TheFrisbee

Ha, glad this has sparked such a discussion.

Oh, and I don't have one... yet.

You've submitted one then?    Do you know that's the grade on it or are you just guessing?

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:56:01 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
(Robin Mihara) < Bowser >
Oregon
I want to have the 1st qualified Win lose or draw. 80 or higher only. (im picky)

www.ecstasyoforder.com...

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:01:50 PM
T-Bird (6)
(J.T. McCallum) < Crack Trooper >
Ontario
The most interesting debate in a little bit and as quickly as it started it dies just as quick

Jim

The Power Glove, it's so bad.

Paying a Premium for truly mint CIB Black Box Games !!!

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:47:17 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
So, Ray, what's the scoop? Is that the grade VGA announced to you or is that your own guess?

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:54:54 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
Oregon
Originally posted by: T-Bird

To illustrate my point a little further, here is another example. I think most would agree that an 85 Mario Kart would be at least a 1k game, well this Q85 has been sitting on Ebay for two weeks at 15% of it's sealed value with not a single taker.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SNES-Super-Mario-Kart-Boxed-w-New-C...

Jim

if its a 1000+ game then here you go

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:18:32 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

that's an 80 though robin.... there's a pretty big difference between an 80 and an 85.    Not sure what an 85 would go for exactly (who is) but certainly an 85+ I would think to be 1k+ these days.    Even if a sealed 85 was say 650+ (you'd probably agree that's not aggressive?) than the 150 for the Q85 is right around the 20-25% for similar condition.   If the condition we are comparing isn't the same (say Q85+ vs regular 75+) then definitely the comparisons will be out of whack.   

Exactly what the % ends up being I think will depend on the title (your Q80 win lose or draw might go for 80% of a sealed 90 ) but at first blush I don't think the 20-25% seems unreasonable.    When I think about it, that's about what I got for the Q bubble bobble 2, ninja kid, and mario arcade that I sold.   All were around that range and I was happy and the buyer was happy.

Edited: 01/03/2011 at 04:25 PM by Bronty

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:25:59 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
Oregon
yeah, but it's a bucky price... so I think it balances

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:27:25 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

^^^^ ROFL bucky, let's hear the comeback!   

Of course, we all get the best we can.    Bucky does pretty well on some of those sales (like that qualified SMB!).   Personally I don't have the time/energy/desire to manage that many listings.    If he can get $1k for qualified SMB, good for him.

Edited: 01/03/2011 at 04:31 PM by Bronty

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:34:23 PM
rarebucky (178)

(Adam Buchwald) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Hey I paid $700 for that 80!

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:45:56 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
Oregon
haha bucky's always watching. jk man (come down on tekken)

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:26:23 PM
rarebucky (178)

United States
I am with Bronty - I want to see this Q90+ Kid Icarus! I have my doubts

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:09:26 AM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: rarebucky

Not only did he know what he was buying, he LOVED it and was surprised he got it for the price he did. Some people value gem mint NIB copies just as highly as flawed sealed ones. FYI - I have never seen a sealed SMB of any seal type that graded 90 or higher.

I'm sure a sealed 90 is impossible but remove the plastic on a decent copy and send it in and you have a good chance. The plastic protected the box all this time.

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:17:10 AM
blarky (37)
(b0rk b0rk) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Originally posted by: buyatari2

I'm sure a sealed 90 is impossible but remove the plastic on a decent copy and send it in and you have a good chance. The plastic protected the box all this time.

I would say that it's definitely NOT impossible, but your point about the plastic protecting the box is valid. 

Take this extreme example:  you have a case fresh copy, but someone tears a big chunk of wrap off.  I'd say that copy would get no higher than 70-75 maybe as a sealed copy?  The box beautiful, so when you remove the wrap, getting it graded now as a Q copy would net you a higher grade on the Q scale. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:37:33 PM
tuxedocivic (94)
(Ryan Bouma) < Ridley Wrangler >
British Columbia
I think I'm going to start collecting Q graded ninja turtles games. Seriously. Sealed costs to much, and I can't find them in good enough condition CIB. I'd pay 25% of the sealed price for them. But the catch is, there aren't vey many

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:59:00 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
Oregon
Originally posted by: blarky

Originally posted by: buyatari2

I would say that it's definitely NOT impossible, but your point about the plastic protecting the box is valid. 

Take this extreme example:  you have a case fresh copy, but someone tears a big chunk of wrap off.  I'd say that copy would get no higher than 70-75 maybe as a sealed copy?  The box beautiful, so when you remove the wrap, getting it graded now as a Q copy would net you a higher grade on the Q scale. 

Yeah I think Bucky has a 90+ black box game up on Ebay.

With that example, I just thought of something.   If you send in a sealed game and have them rip the plastic off themselves and grade it qualified, they don't have to open it to confirm right?  I wonder if a truly unopened CIB would command a greater price.

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:44:03 PM
rarebucky (178)

United States
^ Correct Robin. I am sure some people have done that already.

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:19:53 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
Originally posted by: jonebone

Well, I can say that Kid Icarus is definately a great game, and personally I would pay extra for a nice copy of it (not near thousands, but maybe someone else would) whereas I have really no interest in DK Math except maybe to resell. 

GRRR!

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:20:19 PM
TheFrisbee (194)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Max (Ray) Frisbee) < Bowser >
Tennessee
No 90+ KI here guys. :\ More or less just curious.

[18:07] osg: It is my lifelon goal to be in everyone's signature

Current project: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:27:50 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
Oregon
Originally posted by: rarebucky

^ Correct Robin. I am sure some people have done that already.

so if you (anyone) had a sealed Volleyball for instance, and the box was crisp, but the wrap was torn in 3 places.  Would you opt for the 75 sealed, or a 90 Qualified?

and what games would make you switch your decision and why?