Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sega Master System Weekly Contest Round 1: Wonder Boy in Monster Land Ends 12/03/17 11:00 PM NA Time

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:02:08 AM
Red (80)
(Green Blue) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Hello and welcome to the first round of the first Sega Master System Weekly Contest!  This week's game is Wonder Boy in Monster Land.  Some of you may be familiar with the recently released remake of it's sequel, Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap.  If you've only played The Dragon's Trap, now is the perfect time to see the events leading up to it as it picked up right where Monster Land left off.

Rules:

-Play until Game Over
-You don't have much time after losing to take your picture, so be quick!
-Highest score up until the end of Round 11 wins
-If you clear Round 11, take your picture at the Round 11 Clear screen after your bonus points have been added up (you'll have to be quick here too)
-Points earned in Round 12 do not count.  However, if you beat the game, you will receive an 80,000 point bonus added to your Round 11 score plus a 100 point bonus for each piece of gold you had at the end of Round 11.  Be sure to take a second picture after beating the game.

For general contest rules, click here:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Good luck and have fun!

SCOREBOARD:

1st: Bea_Iank (683,920)
2nd: Krunch (370,170)
3rd: bimmy_lee (325,210)
4th: mbd39 (232,400)
5th: ninjistar (228,510)

6th: NESMASTER14 (74,280)

Edited: 12/04/2017 at 09:14 PM by Red

Nov 26, 2017 at 12:01:20 PM
Webhead123 (30)
(Jordan S.) < El Ripper >
Texas
Saved

-------------------------
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Now Playing: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (Switch)
Last Beaten: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-2929-9013-9208

Nov 26, 2017 at 1:18:33 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Would this be better as a low score contest because of the endless point pressing issue?

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Nov 26, 2017 at 2:04:06 PM
Red (80)
United States
Originally posted by: mbd39

Would this be better as a low score contest because of the endless point pressing issue?
I know point pressing can go on for a long time in the final stage, so I made it so points earned there don't count.  There are a couple bosses that spawn an unlimited number of smaller enemies, but since they give so few points, I think you're better off going for the Perfect Bonus.  Regular enemies only respawn twice (and the second time they won't leave an item), so I didn't see that as a problem.  Is there another issue I missed?

Edited: 11/26/2017 at 02:05 PM by Red

Nov 26, 2017 at 2:11:33 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Red

Originally posted by: mbd39

I know point pressing can go on for a long time in the final stage, so I made it so points earned there don't count.  There are a couple bosses that spawn an unlimited number of smaller enemies, but since they give so few points, I think you're better off going for the Perfect Bonus.  Regular enemies only respawn twice (and the second time they won't leave an item), so I didn't see that as a problem.  Is there another issue I missed?

My bad. I didn't know that enemies only respawn twice. I noticed snakes respawning in the first round and I thought that you could just keep killing them indefinitely.

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:54:32 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
new score below, old score ~95000

​First submission for the SMS contest EVER has been claimed

​I'm already in love with this game. The engaging platforming mixed with a robust shop system is a deadly combo.  I love how Time, Gold and health are interlinked and the RNG (?) drops are fun too.  What is also interesting about this ruleset is the Gold bonus if you beat the game -- obviously I only got to level 3 so no idea here but I dont think it's out of the question that you might have 1000+ Gold at the end of the game for a 100,000 bonus.  What do spend your gold on knowing you are effectively giving up points in the end?

Nice debut choice Red

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Edited: 11/30/2017 at 05:07 PM by Krunch

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:19:47 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Edited: 12/03/2017 at 02:00 PM by mbd39

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:24:41 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
Now its a competition

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:40:35 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
I will try to set up my master system this weekend and get a score on this, as I am quite fond of the localized version of this game.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:44:59 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
With such a good game in the mix, I'll see if I can get some game time in for this.  

Nov 27, 2017 at 4:22:32 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Also, would using the remastered version be acceptable as well?
From I could tell, there was no gameplay difference from the base game, so some more people might get on this if it is allowed as the shiny graphics and music could allure them into putting more effort into the game.  

I will be going with the localized version myself.

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:53:51 AM
Red (80)
United States
Originally posted by: Krunch

​First submission for the SMS contest EVER has been claimed

​I'm already in love with this game. The engaging platforming mixed with a robust shop system is a deadly combo.  I love how Time, Gold and health are interlinked and the RNG (?) drops are fun too.  What is also interesting about this ruleset is the Gold bonus if you beat the game -- obviously I only got to level 3 so no idea here but I dont think it's out of the question that you might have 1000+ Gold at the end of the game for a 100,000 bonus.  What do spend your gold on knowing you are effectively giving up points in the end?

Nice debut choice Red

Glad you're enjoying it!  It's certainly possible to clear Round 11 with over 1,000 gold, but since you can't buy anything in Round 12 (the final round), it could be pretty challenging depending on what equipment you didn't buy (I'm not sure if it's even possible if you don't buy good boots).

Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

From I could tell, there was no gameplay difference from the base game, so some more people might get on this if it is allowed as the shiny graphics and music could allure them into putting more effort into the game.  

Are you thinking of The Dragon's Trap?  I'm not aware of a remaster of this game.

Nov 28, 2017 at 3:30:23 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: Red

Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Are you thinking of The Dragon's Trap?  I'm not aware of a remaster of this game.

You are right. I am confusing both. I do enjoy the localized version of Dragon's Trap (Turma da Mônica em o Resgate) more than the localized version of this one (Turma da Mônica no Castelo do Dragão), but both are excellent games.
You couldn't have picked a better game to start this.

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:17:27 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
new score below
OLD SCORE 214,210

​I'm having a hard time scoring higher than this, in fact I actually scored this a few days ago and havent been able to match it despite getting farther in the game. Maybe I got luckier on the point drops when killing enemies for the second time?

​I'd love to see more participation here because this really is a top-notch platforming/adventure game.

Edited: 12/03/2017 at 05:51 PM by Krunch

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:25:07 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
I am going to play it tomorrow night.
I hope more people give this a chance, because this game is a really great and polished platforming/adventure game.
It deserves far more love than it gets.

Nov 30, 2017 at 5:09:05 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
I wish the art on SMS games was better.... The white background template doesnt give much to work with. Most likely I'll just emulate anything SMS rather than bother with gathering the real thing

Nov 30, 2017 at 5:30:30 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

The art on our localized version was much better indeed.

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:40:05 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
^^^I think I speak for many North Americans when I say I'm jealous

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:55:49 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
No way! I forgot about a Turma da Mônica, I had no idea TecToy localized like that!

Dec 1, 2017 at 3:03:22 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
The localized version of Dragon's Trap is even better:

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:20:05 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
683,920 (587,420 + 80,000 + 16,500)

That stage 12 maze gave me lots of headache this time around. I couldn't remember what was the order I had to follow to beat it at first, but after wandering about, it came back to me.
But alas, Capitão Feio was defeated and peace reigns again at Bairro do Limoeiro!

Edited: 12/01/2017 at 08:21 PM by Bea_Iank

Dec 2, 2017 at 12:10:05 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
*Reserved for possible score. Waiting on my flash cart to arrive hopefully soon, otherwise I might resort to emulation to get a score in. These contests should be fun, hopefully more people give it a shot!

Dec 2, 2017 at 12:42:09 PM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
I want to get in on this thing, but I doubt I'll be able to this week. I'm going to try again late tonight. Moved this week, and all my old consoles are still at the old place. I tried firing up the rom on my Mega Everdrive the other day, but I was having a weird issue where the character sprite would jostle back and forth constantly to where I couldn't move forward at all on the first screen. Perhaps I need a new rom? I think the set I got a while back isn't the greatest, as I've had a few games not play right. I put an actual Master System controller in the slot, which fixed the jostling, but then I found out my SMS controller is broken or something, as holding left does nothing. Ha. Series of unfortunate events. I'm probably missing something.

Anyway, crossed fingers about participation this week. Very probable participation next week!

Dec 2, 2017 at 1:10:01 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
I hope you get to play it this week Ladders!
This game deserves much more love and it would be great to see good participation on this week.  

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:13:59 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

Wish I found more time to play Wonder Boy this week, as it's a pretty fun game.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 12/03/2017 at 10:51 PM by bimmy_lee