Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join
Jul 22, 2017 at 2:43:15 PM
8bitsupremacy (35)
(8bit Supremacy) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Lucky duck. Bunch of locals here were freaking out about it.

-------------------------
NES: 763 north american carts (+22 PAL exclusives)
IG acct: @8bitsupremacy

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:26:06 PM
a-aron (0)
< Cherub >
Is that one of those programs that bid are you, I hate those things nothing better than staying up till 2 am on an auction that put in a bid in last 10 seconds and as soon you click bid a message says you've been out bid. Probably not cool swooping in in the last seconds either but at least that takes some effort not setting a predefined limit and walking away that's just lazy

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:27:56 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: a-aron

Is that one of those programs that bid are you, I hate those things nothing better than staying up till 2 am on an auction that put in a bid in last 10 seconds and as soon you click bid a message says you've been out bid. Probably not cool swooping in in the last seconds either but at least that takes some effort not setting a predefined limit and walking away that's just lazy

A bidder can set their max bid. So if I'm bidding at 50, but I say I'll pay up to 100, itll automatically outbid until it hits that max. It's not a program it's a thing that eBay has done for years

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:33:02 PM
a-aron (0)
< Cherub >
I never knew, one of my buddies told me it was a type of program. Oh well never trust a smiling friend. Sorry for the rant

Jul 31, 2017 at 2:55:00 AM
UltraFox (0)
< Cherub >
I missed out on a huge nes lot for $100 that included games like Bonk's Adventure, Mega Man, and much more.

Why? After buying it, the order was cancelled. Found out some asshole on the site told them the exact game values, simply because people had done the same to them. I'd never do that shit to someone. Finding a deal is fun once in a while.

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:56:49 AM
Emspea (0)
< Cherub >
I always found auctions a little counter productive, they usually always sell for the going rate just that you spend time waiting on it to end, which is no big deal if you are not in a hurry.
I rarely see in the "sold listings" an item got cheaper than it should have been, and if i do its usually a saving of 10-20.
Auction sniping helps you nail a rare item that you are willing to spend more on than normal though..

Jul 31, 2017 at 7:45:06 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: Emspea

I always found auctions a little counter productive, they usually always sell for the going rate just that you spend time waiting on it to end, which is no big deal if you are not in a hurry.
I rarely see in the "sold listings" an item got cheaper than it should have been, and if i do its usually a saving of 10-20.
Auction sniping helps you nail a rare item that you are willing to spend more on than normal though..

So... what item did you miss out on? Where is the story?  

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Jul 31, 2017 at 8:58:46 AM
Emspea (0)
< Cherub >
Originally posted by: Mega Tank

Originally posted by: Emspea

So... what item did you miss out on? Where is the story?  

Loose instruction manuals for super nitnedo games (pal) if I recall correctly. 
You then put it with an offial cart and set your price and dont budge on it. 
You can also use the cart/manual combo to boost the attraction of a snes console, so a £35 yellowed snes if you cant be bothered restoring it, flips with a few games and manuals.

I found though if you are a cash maker - one restored snes and one classic game does the trick on ebay. 

Jul 31, 2017 at 8:53:00 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
A friend that I've known for years posted on his blog recently an offhand account about how his teenage son found his (the son's) older brother's Gameboy games in their garage. About 15 of them. I don't collect Gameboy much, but figured I could see what they were, and maybe find someone to buy them. I contact my friend and ask about them.

Friend: "Oh, yeah, he took them to the local gamestore and got $60 for them."

Me: "Wait, which gamestore?" (thinking: please don't say Gamestop, please don't say Gamestop.)

"Gamestop."

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:35:19 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Tulpa

A friend that I've known for years posted on his blog recently an offhand account about how his teenage son found his (the son's) older brother's Gameboy games in their garage. About 15 of them. I don't collect Gameboy much, but figured I could see what they were, and maybe find someone to buy them. I contact my friend and ask about them.

Me: "Wait, which gamestore?" (thinking: please don't say Gamestop, please don't say Gamestop.)

"Gamestop."

probably had a kid Dracula or amazing tater in there if they gave that much for it  

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Aug 3, 2017 at 6:51:52 PM
Klutch (0)
< Crack Trooper >
My friend knows I collect nes games and one day he called me at 6am to go to some yard sales, but I was up all night studying for a calculus exam. Well I will be damned if he did not find contra force for $1. I was pissed but I never let him know it. I told him to hang onto it and I would trade something he likes that I have for it. On the upside though I ended up getting a large record collection of 45s for free and that was what he wanted for the game. The records were worth about 100 bucks but I am not a vinyl collector so I guess in the end maybe it was not a loser weepers story.

Aug 3, 2017 at 8:50:54 PM
Meteor_of_War (21)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Klutch

My friend knows I collect nes games and one day he called me at 6am to go to some yard sales, but I was up all night studying for a calculus exam. Well I will be damned if he did not find contra force for $1. I was pissed but I never let him know it. I told him to hang onto it and I would trade something he likes that I have for it. On the upside though I ended up getting a large record collection of 45s for free and that was what he wanted for the game. The records were worth about 100 bucks but I am not a vinyl collector so I guess in the end maybe it was not a loser weepers story.

Heh, and people say you can't find valuable games for cheap at garage sales anymore.

Aug 3, 2017 at 8:52:31 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: Meteor_of_War

Originally posted by: Klutch

Heh, and people say you can't find valuable games for cheap at garage sales anymore.

You can't. Nothing to see or buy at them, keep it moving.

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Aug 5, 2017 at 5:13:23 PM
RandomHero (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
My greatest loss isn't necessarily something I missed out on. It's the dreaded 'mom gave my stuff away' story that we've all heard before.

I was always a little behind the times as child. I think I finally got a SNES around 98 or so, and only had it a couple years before the N64 came to the household. Of course, every time I finally got the upgrade from my parents, they sold off (or even simply gave away) my old stock. So, when I finally got my hands on the 64, out went my SNES to my cousins. Along with that, Earthbound and a few higher-tier games.

Of course, years later I realized with dread what had happened, and alas it was too late. They had sold it at a garage sale years earlier for dirt cheap. I happen to actually love the game, so I'll have to pick it up at some point. But for 200+ its hard to justify.

Edited: 08/05/2017 at 05:20 PM by RandomHero

Aug 5, 2017 at 5:56:43 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Tulpa

"Gamestop."

That's okay; one of my friends (not local) threw his Nintendo and all his games in the trash a year or so ago.   He commented on one of the various Stadium Events stories on Facebook with that, I messaged him to ask if he was just trolling, and nope, he really did pitch all of them when cleaning.    

On the upside, I did manage to safe a very minty boxed TurboGrafx from the trash from a dude I worked with.   I'm pretty sure the dude just tried it once and put it back in the box.   He mentioned throwing that and an Atari 5200 away, but said that he may have just intended to and never got around to it.   Luckily it was the latter.

Aug 15, 2017 at 4:37:17 PM
Kemp175 (62)
(Dane ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
https://item.mercari.com/gl/m2002...

Missed out on this, I hemmed and hawed over it a bit too much. It sold in around 25 mins.

Aug 15, 2017 at 4:41:53 PM
unseenforce (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
^ thats nuts

Aug 15, 2017 at 4:48:33 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Do you pay for Mercari through Mercari? That's a steal, but you also don't put something like that for sale for $500 unless you know what you've got. I'd be skeptical. If you don't pay through the app, I'd definitely "bought it" but would have told the seller I was coming with my Nintendo screwdriver and final sale is pending after board verification.

TL;DR:

You might've dodged a bullet.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Edited: 08/15/2017 at 04:48 PM by rlh

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:04:59 PM
SandmanSlim (5)
< Little Mac >
Virginia
Originally posted by: rlh

Do you pay for Mercari through Mercari? That's a steal, but you also don't put something like that for sale for $500 unless you know what you've got. I'd be skeptical. If you don't pay through the app, I'd definitely "bought it" but would have told the seller I was coming with my Nintendo screwdriver and final sale is pending after board verification.

TL;DR:

You can pay with paypal and mercari holds the funds until you leave positive feedback.

Don't get too familiar,  I ain't hangin' out!  - Eff

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:08:41 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: SandmanSlim

TL;DR:

You can pay with paypal and mercari holds the funds until you leave positive feedback.

Well, that's worse but for different reasons.  What's preventing me from meeting someone in a parking lot, getting the goods and then leaving bad feedback?  I say "me" but I mean anyone.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Aug 18, 2017 at 8:12:07 PM
retro17247 (0)

< Cherub >
*DELETE* Wrong topic

Edited: 08/18/2017 at 08:16 PM by retro17247

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:00:47 PM
CharlieG (2)
< Crack Trooper >
Virginia

Originally posted by: SandmanSlim

TL;DR:

Well, that's worse but for different reasons.  What's preventing me from meeting someone in a parking lot, getting the goods and then leaving bad feedback?  I say "me" but I mean anyone.

I've had a good experience buying stuff on Mercari. It's like eBay without the auctions -- everything is buy-it-now and shipped directly from seller to buyer. Payment options include PayPal and credit card. Although (starting today I think?) they introduced a new "make an offer" button on many listings, which has apparently caused a lot of confusion since many sellers didn't know about it in advance and are now being inundated with unexpected lowball offers.

Sep 9, 2017 at 12:01:17 PM
yecul (17)

(Cameron ) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Kid brought out some Wii U titles at a garage sale. I just got the system and snagged mario 3d, luigu and DK for a nice price. Left Croods behind. Oops!

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:04:56 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Someone here posted a few classified ads with boxed SNES games in the 40-80 range. One of these was Megaman X2 for 40.
I send him an email. The next day, I get no reply and the ad is already gone. Fuck.

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Edited: 09/12/2017 at 06:05 AM by Vectrex28

Sep 16, 2017 at 6:50:52 PM
yecul (17)

(Cameron ) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Not sure where else to talk about this so i suppose this is the best landing spot...

The good: found an unusual king kong item at a garage sale for $2. Two foot tall animatronic figure from 1987. Nice shape, not working 100% but also seemingly uncommon. Not much turned up in research for value, etc.

Wasnt a keeper and put it up for what i thought was a strong price. Got instant interest followed by a purchase.

The bad: Wound up with a subsequent offer for twice what i posted it for.

So while its awesome to sell something for 100x your purchase price but at the same time crappy because it should have been a lot more.

Buyer had zero items for sale and zero sale gistory. Said he was a collextor. I honored the deal and am glad it landed in a good spot. Still... damn...