Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2015 Weekly Contests Presents: Kung Fu Contest ends Sunday, 3/15/15 at 11 PM NA time

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:35:29 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Commander Santa

For anybody that has not seen this yet...

Here is a video from Bishop Bros. (8-bit bishop here on Nintendoage) and the Nintendoage trophies he was commissioned to make by LukeAF24 for the Nintendoage Championships.
Luke generously funded the last 2 trophy builds himself, but NA is always looking for more donations (either monetary or game related) to keep this amazing tradition alive.

Top three finalists in each division have recieved these one of a kind trophies in the last 2 championships.

PM either bimmy_lee or guillavoie for more details if you'd like to donate and keep this tradition going!

Check out this vid of Bishop Bros.' newest creations for last seasons champions below!

Awesome! I feel like a celebrity.

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:39:58 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Update 813,400. 

Edited: 03/12/2015 at 05:09 PM by Caleb47

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:58:20 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Kind of surprised my score hasn't been topped yet Luke,where ya at bruh?

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:08:11 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Originally posted by: gutsman004

He's probably watching Meals on Wheels for inspiration

Edited: 03/09/2015 at 08:08 PM by Caleb47

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:23:30 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

The 12th man trick can be tricky and can also get you into trouble,especially on the higher loops.

A lot of times I say F it if it's not an easy gripper

-------------------------
 2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Edited: 03/09/2015 at 09:24 PM by skinnygrinny

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:28:15 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Did anyone else notice alot of these guys, including Thomas, are wearing high heels?

lol and playing grabby hands lol

Kiiiinda weeird!!!

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:06:28 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
No emus...what about powerpak?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:45:14 PM
Fluffy (11)
(Fluffy is asleep) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Dang... After forgetting to post last week, and now sitting out this week upon not having this game (xD), my place on the leaderboard must be plummeting... When does Ms. Pac-Man start? I have a good feeling about that one.

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:35:43 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Krunch

No emus...what about powerpak?

There's no rule against it,but I would think this game is so common that everyone would have it and be able to play it on their consoles and if they didn't,it's so cheap it's easily bought.

Edited: 03/10/2015 at 02:36 AM by gutsman004

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:02:48 AM
Faxanadude (21)
(A Winner Is You) < Kraid Killer >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: moobox

Guess I'm stopping by my local store to see if I can find a copy lol

Edit - Doesn't mean I'm not going to practice on the emulator

You'll be glad you picked up a real one. Its a simple but good game.

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:58:36 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I tried yesterday, but I didn't have any luck. I'll see if I can do any better today.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:14:09 AM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States

I'm stalking you from the bushes; like a cheetah stalks a gazelle.

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:05:23 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Apparently I need to work on my point pressing skills. I made it to the magician in loop four and still was 30k short of your score.

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:53:12 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Apparently I need to work on my point pressing skills. I made it to the magician in loop four and still was 30k short of your score.

I did pretty well in that department although I know there were a few spots where I screwed up and just got past the level.

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:32:33 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

I did pretty well in that department although I know there were a few spots where I screwed up and just got past the level.

Is anyone else having trouble with the magician disappearing when his life meter gets down to half?

He does this to me every time. He will throw a lil smoke screen bomb and that freezes me momentarily then he reappears just out of reach of punches.

So when I stand up to move closer he throws a projectile killing me around 2 out of 3 times.

Any ideas? Also my version (5 screw) doesn't have the colored tiles on the top. They are just black.

Mar 10, 2015 at 4:12:51 PM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Is anyone else having trouble with the magician disappearing when his life meter gets down to half? He does this to me every time. He will throw a lil smoke screen bomb and that freezes me momentarily then he reappears just out of reach of punches. So when I stand up to move closer he throws a projectile killing me around 2 out of 3 times. Any ideas? Also my version (5 screw) doesn't have the colored tiles on the top. They are just black.

The magician (the bastard) does that to me as well.

I also have a 5 screw version, but haven't looked at the tiles on top. (will be sure to do so tonight though).
That'd be really weird if their was a marked difference like that between the two games though.

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Mar 10, 2015 at 5:05:19 PM
bertsampson (11)
(Andrew Bradley) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
821000  photo IMAG0470_zpst1t04rnq.jpg

Edited: 03/15/2015 at 10:08 PM by bertsampson

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:43:46 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Is anyone else having trouble with the magician disappearing when his life meter gets down to half? He does this to me every time. He will throw a lil smoke screen bomb and that freezes me momentarily then he reappears just out of reach of punches. So when I stand up to move closer he throws a projectile killing me around 2 out of 3 times. Any ideas? Also my version (5 screw) doesn't have the colored tiles on the top. They are just black.

When I watched Tom's video I didn't remember the magician disappearing like that, but it keeps happening to me too. I'm not sure what you mean about black tiles instead of colored ones. I have a 5 screw cart as well, so maybe that's why I'm not noticing it.

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:47:34 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: TWarwick07

I'm surprised that I have to underline this, but we can't reuse an older score as a valid score for the current week. This is the same picture that you posted in the contest in 2013, so you can't use it for this week.

I'm wondering if we need to add in the rules that score posted must be done within the timeframe of the weekly contest.

Edit : I'd like to add that I wasn't calling Twarwick out for cheating, he wasn't sure if recycling score was okay and intended to post a better score during the week anyway

Edited: 03/10/2015 at 10:13 PM by guillavoie

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:19:40 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

When I watched Tom's video I didn't remember the magician disappearing like that, but it keeps happening to me too. I'm not sure what you mean about black tiles instead of colored ones. I have a 5 screw cart as well, so maybe that's why I'm not noticing it.

Sorry I should have clarified the "tiles". I was referring to the ones near the roof that mark what point of the floor you are at. Best I can describe is that they are like mile markers on a highway.

In toms video they were yellow and red?

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:15:54 PM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
The Magician does the same thing to me at times. I find that he does his little disappearing move when you mash the punch button too fast. You want to hit him fast of course, but too fast makes him disappear. Try pausing slightly between punches and he shouldn't do it. My typical rhythm is punch-wait-punch-wait-punch-punch (you can get away with multiple punches when you KO him).

Oh yeah, want a real sadistic challenge?  Try waiting around until the clock runs low against this guy.  He will clone himself and attack from both sides of you.  Only one of them can be damaged too!

Not sure why the 5-screw game would be different.  Perhaps there are multiple versions of the game out there?  Wouldn't be the first time.

Good luck everyone!

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:31:27 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Originally posted by: rdrunner

The Magician does the same thing to me at times. I find that he does his little disappearing move when you mash the punch button too fast. You want to hit him fast of course, but too fast makes him disappear. Try pausing slightly between punches and he shouldn't do it. My typical rhythm is punch-wait-punch-wait-punch-punch (you can get away with multiple punches when you KO him).

That's definitely the way to go against the Magician. Doing so, you can even take 1 or 2 hits from him without dying if you managed to get there with full energy. This said, it is still probably the most important 'make it or break it' point of the game when you're playing on the hardest loop.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:52:24 PM
TWarwick07 (85)
(Kung Fu Master) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Updated score

Edited: 03/15/2015 at 09:23 AM by TWarwick07

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:19:20 AM
UncleTusk (234)
(Wilfred Brimley) < King Solomon >
California

Participating! Gave it one shot!  Wish me luck in Europe at the Tetris Championship this week friends! 

Only Brave Souls Click on the Tusk

Short and large run boxes, manuals, maps!  Give your Uncle a call!

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:20:50 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Always nice to see you in the contest Tusk!

I wish you the best for the Tetris Championship, in what town this takes place?