Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Ebay Charging Sales Tax Now (If you're a buyer in NY/WA/more) Will it affect your buying/collecting from there?

Jun 03 at 7:36:05 PM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
Yep...WA loves taxing every little freaking thing...even online games and buying in game currency...like...seriously guys...why?

-------------------------
My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Jul 04 at 6:57:10 AM
Jeevan (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Indiana
And apparently this has reached Indiana......just bought something and paid taxes as well.........  

Almost 11 bucks in taxes!!!!!!!!

Anybody want a butterscotch?

Edited: 07/04/2019 at 07:04 AM by Jeevan

Jul 04 at 12:16:44 PM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
Reached where I am too as of a few days ago, damnit. :\

Jul 04 at 3:46:10 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Im pretty sure its in most if not all states that have a sales tax now

Jul 05 at 1:43:01 AM
GamingSuperHero (24)

(Game Super Hero) < Eggplant Wizard >
Ontario
The eBay sales tax hit me as well in Canada. Another charge on top of the Pitney Bowes nonsense, conversions and over priced shipping. $100 item=$180-200item after all the nonsense.

Jul 05 at 1:50:01 AM
Jeevan (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Indiana
Holy crap, i was upset over 11 bux but that is highway robbery!!!!

Anybody want a butterscotch?

Jul 05 at 10:37:08 AM
rdools (91)
(Rick Dools) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario

Originally posted by: GamingSuperHero

The eBay sales tax hit me as well in Canada. Another charge on top of the Pitney Bowes nonsense, conversions and over priced shipping. $100 item=$180-200item after all the nonsense.

It seems more and more sellers are using GSP, which has made it much more difficult to shop on eBay.

Recently I have just been filtering for Canadian listings. There is a much smaller selection, but at least I know I am only getting charged max $20 shipping instead of $100+ in duties taxes and shipping (On a mid range purchase ($100-$200))

It’s a bummer for sure.

Jul 08 at 12:48:10 AM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
I refuse to use the GSP as it's robbery. I also refuse even more so to use their sucker every minute 'best match' criteria too especially given the changes to it in more recent years. Being a victim of a slow USPS out of my hands, apology pay outs, eating return shipping for any excuse, 2 week plus no questions returns, and the other dumpster fire choices leave you so wide open to take heavy losses from scams and screw ups it's way too risky. The shame is they best match default and hide your stuff if you don't open yourself up for defrauding behaviors. I've had to take considerably less on items from those who are ok playing that wallet based russian roulette and it sucks. But it's like what can you do as they're too damn big to fail or seemingly get replaced either.

Jul 08 at 7:06:18 AM
AC Skywalker (56)
(Matt ) < Kraid Killer >
Canada
I won't even buy from the US anymore through eBay unless the seller offers the shipping themselves. It's just crazy otherwise

Currently looking for:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

Oct 01 at 2:01:51 AM
Skorp (39)
(Bryan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Well, good time to bump this since it is October 1 and a lot of states are impacted now including Texas. Every single item now adds tax that I checked.  

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/...

Help complete my N64 NFR With Minty Back Sticker set. Only need two more:
              Diddy Kong Racing and Super Smash Bros!
Want to Buy/Want to Trade For Thread|For Sale/Offer Thread

Oct 01 at 7:13:36 AM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada

I've been able to avoid the sales tax for now and for whatever reason the import charges through GSP have been zero on a number of listings latey. I've enjoyed the no fees so much that I actually bought a few things from the US for the first time in a few years. 

EBay must be getting more strict though within Canada. There were a few Canadian sellers/stores that I followed who pulled everything and stopped selling within the last few months - I'm guessing that's the reason. Bummer. 

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Oct 01 at 8:24:02 AM
8bitdontquit (1)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
Virginia now also.. Said nothing about tax at checkout but after purchase they charged credit card a separate ebay fee.. No mention of tax, but now after the fourth time I'm assuming that is what those fees are.. Almost called the credit card company to put a stop on it. Don't mind paying tax, but put it in the original sale total not charge me after the fact.. Feels nefarious.

Moe: Back when I was Gorgeous, everybody wanted a piece of me. But somehow, I just never made it to the big time. Homer: Why not? Moe: 'Cause I got knocked out forty times in a row. That, plus politics. You know, it's all politics. Homer: [glaring] Lousy democrats.

Oct 01 at 9:39:43 AM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
It will happen to every state soon. Just get used to it. It sucks, I know. Actually makes buying at shows more attractive now.

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Oct 01 at 10:44:45 AM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
This has kind of ruined eBay for me. Not the bad sellers, not the excessive fees, this. I only sell on there now, almost never buy anymore. There really is no benefit to this platform anymore that I can't get on any other platform out there.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Oct 01 at 11:28:41 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Space Jockey

This has kind of ruined eBay for me. Not the bad sellers, not the excessive fees, this. I only sell on there now, almost never buy anymore. There really is no benefit to this platform anymore that I can't get on any other platform out there.

Why? Because you're forced into paying taxes now? You were supposed to be doing this from the start, so be happy they are just enforcing it now.

Your entitlement never ceases to amaze me Joey. It really doesn't.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Oct 01 at 11:29:05 AM
sadikyo (89)
(Sadik Yo) < King Solomon >
United States
The stuff I buy on ebay is stuff that I can't really get locally, so I'm fine with paying a sales tax. It's not too significant, it's what we were supposed to be doing all along anyway, and if people don't want to buy on ebay they can always just leave - less competition for me!  

Hello!  I want your "ATLUS" stuff!  Please see my list or send me a PM if you have cool ATLUS stuff!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Oct 01 at 11:32:17 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

Can you show a screenshot of this? I don't believe you're getting 80-100% inflated fees. It's also not ebay sales tax, it's taxed based solely on the state of the sale (where the seller is from). Highest sales tax AFAIK is 7.5%, which is significantly less than your 80-100% increase.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Oct 01 at 12:26:24 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: tbone3969

It will happen to every state soon. Just get used to it. It sucks, I know. Actually makes buying at shows more attractive now.
I truly don't believe New Hampshire will ever have a sales tax

Oct 01 at 12:39:12 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Adam, your numerous ongoing attempts to start shit because people have different opinions than you, it never ceases to amaze me either. If you aren't going to contribute to the conversation in a meaningful way instead of bashing others who object, then you are just wasting everyone's time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Oct 01 at 12:48:09 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Adam, your numerous ongoing attempts to start shit because people have different opinions than you, it never ceases to amaze me either. If you aren't going to contribute to the conversation in a meaningful way instead of bashing others who object, then you are just wasting everyone's time.
He is questioning tax rates and numbers... those aren't matters of opinion.  

Seems like a completely reasonable thing to try and clarify, when the number seems outlandish.

Oct 01 at 1:18:52 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

He is questioning tax rates and numbers... those aren't matters of opinion.  

Seems like a completely reasonable thing to try and clarify, when the number seems outlandish.

see drag00n’s post above that one

Oct 01 at 1:22:33 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Yeah let me nip it in the bud here. We don't need any personal attacks. Using someone's first name is making it unnecessarily personal...

On topic, yeah this finally hit MD today too. Sure you can vent and complain about it but I also view it as "be glad the loophole existed for so long". The government wants their share of online sales too. I remember when it started happening on Amazon 2-3 years ago (has it been longer?) and that was a bummer too... but it happens.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Oct 01 at 1:56:10 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Originally posted by: dra600n

Can you show a screenshot of this? I don't believe you're getting 80-100% inflated fees. It's also not ebay sales tax, it's taxed based solely on the state of the sale (where the seller is from). Highest sales tax AFAIK is 7.5%, which is significantly less than your 80-100% increase.

He's talking about all the extras when buying from Canada. I always added about 80% for the converted final price but now it's more like double.
For example, if I buy something that's $100, they add the following:

- About $10 for an Automatic Import Sales Fee from something called the Global Shipping Program. You ship the item to a Pitney Bowes outlet in the USA, they verify the item so eBay knows they won't get scammed. Sometimes if it's packed too largely or too heavily, Pitney Bowes will remove it all and throw the item into a simple padded envelope to save themselves money, then forward it on. I have often received eBay packages where I sent a photo to the seller and they were surprised all their packaging was gone.

- If you somehow find a seller that's smart enough to turn off their Global Shipping Program, they can ship it to you with no fee but then Customs rapes you for 5% of the item plus a $10 fee for assessing the item. 

- The conversion from USD to CAD will cost you about another $25.

- The conversion of currency actually has another fee on top of it where they take another $5 for doing the conversion for you.

- The shipping itself is added on top of the price of the item and will probably be about $25 to Canada for some unknown reason. Canada Post really jacks up the prices here, probably because we're so much wider than the USA. It's like God was baking bread and Canada is the part that overflows the pan.

- And now a sales tax that somehow gets applied to an auction item, it's not even a sale. Do you normally pay sales taxes at auctions?

Anyway, that $100 USD item is now $200 CAD by the time you receive it.

Oct 01 at 3:09:38 PM
austin532 (91)
(Mike ) < El Ripper >
Arizona
Originally posted by: TheBiRD

Have no problem paying taxes on a new product. But paying taxes on a used item that already has taxes paid when when sold as new sucks
^This. Why should we have to pay taxes a on used 30 year old game that already had taxes on it? I say if it's more than 5 years old, you shouldn't have to pay internet sales tax. Of course this would require alot of effort on ebay's end figuring out what's old and what's new so they won't do it.

My Ultimate 100% CIB NES Collector's Guide
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

NES, SNES, + misc. stuff for sale here
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Oct 01 at 3:11:01 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: Trj22487

Originally posted by: tbone3969

I truly don't believe New Hampshire will ever have a sales tax

Good point.  Forgot about New Hampshire's zero percent sales tax.

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."