Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Pleasant surprises hidden in your collection? Latest trend of variant prices

Sep 12 at 1:46:39 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
All this talk of left Bros and other such variants has me wondering if anyone has recently checked their proverbial pile and been pleasantly surprised to find they have some money sitting in a game they never realized.

My own (and thus far only) case of this was the Link's Awakening I traded away after hype for that popped up. My copy was pretty great condition so I tossed it up totally jokingly asking for $1k. Walked away very happy with a trade valued around $500 or so. The other party happened to have 3 games I've wanted for a while in great condition, so it was a done deal. I think I probably paid like $100 for the Zelda CIB within the last year or two tops, so when it was suddenly worth 5x or so what I paid, it was a no brainer to "trade up" in my mind.

Anyone else with similar stories? I personally have always just been happy with whatever version I land on, as long as it's not player's choice or greatest hits etc. Thus far no other diamonds in my rough, but who knows what the future holds eh?

-------------------------

Sep 12 at 2:16:38 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
I have a 'star' code SMB (Mattel). Not sure it's worth much because it's the Canadian version, but still nice. I have a hangtab, 5-screw, circle seal Castlevania with the errored top label. I also have a CIB Link's Awakening 1st print as well. I never really got into the black box games even when I collected so I missed out of a lot of that.

It boggles my mind how all this came about. 6-months ago you'd be lucky to see someone state 1st print outside of 'selects' or 'greatest hits' versions of the games. Now you need like 5 qualifiers to list a CIB SMB and eBay is littered with these crazy listings.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Sep 12 at 2:34:06 PM
Kid Dracula (92)
(AP ) < Lolo Lord >
Nova Scotia
Yes, I found out 9 out of the 27 black boxes I own have stickers. I think 1 or 2 are gloss and the rest are matte. I haven't examined them close enough haha. Two of them have double stickers on top of each other which I've been told was a former rental.

Sep 12 at 2:50:38 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
The samurai western and redstar PS2 that i sold you shocked me when I looked up the price.

www.videogamesage.com...

Sep 12 at 2:56:01 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
Other
Some of my 2600 titles are evidently the rarer variants... but aside from the cool factor it isn't much of a value bump for the ones I have.

Sep 12 at 5:10:27 PM
romiked2689 (60)
< Lolo Lord >
Maryland
My Pokémon red that I got for a cheap auction is the first print copy! Had no clue back then just wanted red before it went up

Sep 12 at 5:19:53 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
I had a couple NFR Halos and first print Zeldos, both of which were games that immediately sold for too much money early this year.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Sep 12 at 5:33:50 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
With the latest increase in prices for first prints, I looked through my collection and discovered I already had the following:
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (left) manual
- Super Mario Bros. (no code) manual
- Super Mario Bros. (fifth print) box
- Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! (non rev-a) box
- Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! (no code) cartridge
- Top Gun (non rev-a) box

I also have a Batman: Return Of The Joker variant which has never been documented. The code on the box is NES-48-USA instead of every single other box I've seen with NES-P48-USA on it.

Edited: 09/12/2019 at 05:53 PM by bootload

Sep 12 at 5:34:06 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Only thing I can think of is I got a first run Castlevania, with the oversized label. Not a hugely valuable variant, but kind of cool. Never knew it was special until someone pointed it out.

Sep 12 at 6:57:19 PM
dry_bowser (17)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
I have a GBA Video Disney Channel Collection Vol 2 that I got from a random guy for a couple of bucks. The price exploded soon after I got it.

Sep 12 at 7:28:01 PM
yukfou (107)
(Great Dragon) < King Solomon >
Maryland
Well I was curious about GameCube titles and apparently everything GameCube is super hot right now. I'm seeing $50 jumps or more on some of the rarer ones. Go go hypergrind is one that stood out. When did that become a $150 game? It was $50 like a year ago

My WTB thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Sep 12 at 7:34:07 PM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
Don't know and don't care. I don't go into collecting for variants and the like. Exceptions being collector's editions. And Zelda games (like Majora's Mask, holo and not holo. Or the NES gold or not). I just love Zelda enough to do that.

But past those exceptions...eh.

I'm not even too interested in getting NFR games. If I happen upon them (which I have with my only two NFR games) for cheap I'll grab them but I'm not actively after those.

The reason I'm not interested is money wise...it would just be too much to go after every variant. Also time...would take forever. And finally I'm already crazy going for full sets...I don't need to branch out and go off the deep end for variants lol.

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Edited: 09/12/2019 at 07:35 PM by Astor Reinhardt

Sep 12 at 8:24:32 PM
ALTQQ (79)
(I've lost my television remote do you know where i Should look?) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
I never bothered with variants, a tape is a tape. I had players choice , black label, cdn , USA jp, pal, sticker sealed no sticker. They all played the same either way so I never cared. Just bought the cheapest copy every time. Way too much work to be fussy about stuff that doesn't matter.

I lost my television remote, have you seen it?

Sep 12 at 9:01:43 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Astor Reinhardt

Don't know and don't care. I don't go into collecting for variants and the like. Exceptions being collector's editions. And Zelda games (like Majora's Mask, holo and not holo. Or the NES gold or not). I just love Zelda enough to do that.

I'm not even too interested in getting NFR games. If I happen upon them (which I have with my only two NFR games) for cheap I'll grab them but I'm not actively after those.

The reason I'm not interested is money wise...it would just be too much to go after every variant. Also time...would take forever. And finally I'm already crazy going for full sets...I don't need to branch out and go off the deep end for variants lol.

Yeah but I mean more like, stuff you have just out of chance. Not that you'd go out of your way for a rare variant, cuz neither do I. I mean more like, you wake up one day and realize your hamster actually has super powers, except in video game form.

Sep 12 at 9:04:59 PM
Maertens29 (61)
< Lolo Lord >
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: yukfou

Well I was curious about GameCube titles and apparently everything GameCube is super hot right now. I'm seeing $50 jumps or more on some of the rarer ones. Go go hypergrind is one that stood out. When did that become a $150 game? It was $50 like a year ago

Eh, it's been over $100 for well over a year now.

Well, actually, I checked the PC chart and it's been over $100 for a year as of September 2018 haha. But it hasn't been $50 for a looong time.

Everything on GC is expensive, haven't ya heard?

I'm looking for a mint, factory sealed Dragon Ball Advanced for gameboy advance, let me know!

Sep 12 at 10:24:17 PM
yukfou (107)
Maryland
Originally posted by: Maertens29

Eh, it's been over $100 for well over a year now.

Well, actually, I checked the PC chart and it's been over $100 for a year as of September 2018 haha. But it hasn't been $50 for a looong time.

Everything on GC is expensive, haven't ya heard?

Weird. I guess it's been a minute since I last checked lol. Pokemon box has really shot up too. Same with fire emblem path of radiance

My WTB thread

Sep 12 at 11:17:58 PM
romiked2689 (60)
< Lolo Lord >
Maryland

Eh, it's been over $100 for well over a year now. Well, actually, I checked the PC chart and it's been over $100 for a year as of September 2018 haha. But it hasn't been $50 for a looong time. Everything on GC is expensive, haven't ya heard?

Weird. I guess it's been a minute since I last checked lol. Pokemon box has really shot up too. Same with fire emblem path of radiance

I’ve probably sold like 4 Cib copies of fire emblem path of radiance lol I’m owed!!! 

Sep 13 at 12:03:30 AM
Strikezone1 (1)
(Steve ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
No pleasant surprises in my collection. My SMB3 is "right bros." My copies of Mega Man 1 an Mike Tyson's Punch Out are both 3 screw. 🤷‍♂️

Sep 13 at 12:55:31 AM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
Originally posted by: Gloves

Originally posted by: Astor Reinhardt

Yeah but I mean more like, stuff you have just out of chance. Not that you'd go out of your way for a rare variant, cuz neither do I. I mean more like, you wake up one day and realize your hamster actually has super powers, except in video game form.
Ehhh...first thing to come to mind is Futurama for the PS2. I bought it new as a kid since I love Futurama, and I've kept it since then. Hard to believe it's a $100 game these days lol.

Other then that nothing comes to mind. I mean I have a Chinese version of Kirby's Dream Land on the GB. I think it's supposedly "rare". Another thing I bought it as a kid...this time at a Gamestop in the early 90s. Used, cart only. But I've kept it in great shape. I don't think it's worth much unless you're after variants...

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Sep 13 at 1:01:33 AM
VGS_captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: barrels

Some of my 2600 titles are evidently the rarer variants... but aside from the cool factor it isn't much of a value bump for the ones I have.

It still boggles my mind that there's a $10 Pac-Man variant for 2600.

Sep 13 at 3:32:09 AM
Portabello (151)
< Meka Chicken >
New York
I've had a Sonic the Hedgehog blackbox Genesis CIB without the "Not For Resale". Not sure if it's desirable or not with this hype, and frankly haven't even bothered to look at it and identify if it's first print run.

Sep 13 at 6:29:48 AM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
I haven't been paying attention to the variant craze, so I guess I still don't know what might be lying around. Not that I have a lot of early NES stuff. I'll have to get around to looking at some point. The only games that I know would be first print would be the things that I bought on day one. Pokemon Red/Blue come to mind, and my copy of Link's Awakening is likely early. Not sure, and I probably wouldn't sell them anyways.

The one pleasant surprise that I was somewhat surprised to discover was TMNT: Manhattan Missions for the IBM. I bought it as a kid at a closeout store, and it is hard to even say why. I didn't own a computer, but the box looked neat and I am guessing that it was cheap (no price sticker, thank goodness, since I tend to leave them on!). No recent sold listings on eBay, and one is listed at $225. I think when I checked last year (for the first time), some had sold for a bit over $100. Very random, and quite the shocker. I probably need to look up the other big box PC stuff that I have at some point...

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Sep 13 at 7:57:36 AM
yukfou (107)
Maryland
Originally posted by: romiked2689

Eh, it's been over $100 for well over a year now. Well, actually, I checked the PC chart and it's been over $100 for a year as of September 2018 haha. But it hasn't been $50 for a looong time. Everything on GC is expensive, haven't ya heard?

I've probably sold like 4 Cib copies of fire emblem path of radiance lol I'm owed!!! 

Lol I'll take one for $50. That's fair right?

My WTB thread

Sep 13 at 10:32:08 AM
BreaKBeatZ (59)
< Lolo Lord >
District of Columbia
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

The samurai western and redstar PS2 that i sold you shocked me when I looked up the price.
Reason:

https://gamevaluenow.com/playstation-2-ps2/samurai-western?g... GVN jump

MJR video -

Sep 13 at 4:49:49 PM
cma2032 (22)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia

That's really annoying because I had Go Go Hypergrind sitting on eBay like 2 years ago for months. I think someone finally bought it for like $8

Originally posted by: Portabello

I've had a Sonic the Hedgehog blackbox Genesis CIB without the "Not For Resale". Not sure if it's desirable or not with this hype, and frankly haven't even bothered to look at it and identify if it's first print run.

Several of these went for $150+ on Ebay awhile back but I think the hype finally died back down to comparably sane levels

Edited: 09/13/2019 at 04:52 PM by cma2032