Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

I Have a Dream.... . . Come True Completed RetroUSB NES set ---> Post Yours!!!

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:54:44 PM
K3VBOT (286)
(K3V ) < King Solomon >
Indiana
Wow, I never thought I would actually be able to say this, but as of today, I have officially completed my RetroUSB NES set!

Before I begin, I want to thank bunnyboy for putting himself out there and starting this great company we all love. You make and release some great games, and of the highest quality. I am looking forward to what is next for RetroUSB.

I want to give all of NintendoAge a huge Thank You for helping this become a reality. I have met a ton of awesome people on here; many who have helped me along the way, or pointed me in the right direction in order to accomplish this goal. 

Backstory: It started in 2012. My birthday rolled around (Nov. 14th), and my father asked what I wanted for my birthday. Seeing the 8-bit Xmas 2012 carts starting to pop up on NA and people talking about them, I decided I wanted to give it a shot. That arrived and I instantly fell in love. At that point in my collecting, I had just about every n64 system imaginable and some decently cool n64 signage. 
Tragedy struck, and the roommate stuck me for some money as well as paying off his end of rent for 4 months. I had to sell some things. All the n64s went, the snap station, the signs, and my beloved Xmas 2012.
After ensuring ends were met, I gathered up some funds to start building the collection again. Instead of trying to build what I'd lost back, I turned back to NES, where my collecting had originally began. This time though, not licensed games, I wanted something different. I'd collected licensed games before, and it was fun, but everyone was doing it, and the prices continued to rise. I remembered 8-Bit Xmas 2012. KHANgames who programmed Biplane for that christmas cart got me hooked onto homebrews, and the quality of RetroUSB's products got me hooked on the company. And so the journey began.

My first carts came from JimJames in a lot purchase. I was fortunate enough to knock out a pretty healthy pile right off the go. jimJames has helped me a ton with my collection by keeping an eye open for carts to pop up for sale. Outside of the ones I got directly from him, I can acquired at least a couple more based off his leads: Mystic Pillars LE #28, Siamond LE #28, Geminim LE #28, NeSnake 2, Pirate Booty, and Fantasy Zone 2.

After that lot, I picked up some here and some there. Including:

Green Mr. Gimmick which I acquired from "The_Paynter"

Splatterhouse which I acquired from "dergatron"

Buzz and Waldog from "dquiros", forwarded by JimJames

Another member who has helped me out tremendously is KHANgames himself. I have become great friends with him, and I truely cannot thank him enough for all he has done and continues to do for me. We do a lot for one another really, and I cannot completely explain our relationship because I cannot find the words. So I thank you him, from one Kevin H to another. And through some of the most bizzare trades and circumstances: Sara Parker's Pool Challenge, Chunkout 2j, E.T., 8-bit xmas 2012 (pic later), Sudoku, Tic Tac XO (Also Roth at SlyDog Studios, pic later), Airball, Larry LE #0, The Incident LE #0, and the most important thing, his friendship.

Roth (SlyDog Studios) is another fellow I have grown to know quite well! Talk about one of the most humble guys you'll ever meet, Rob is awesome! His games are some of my favorite to play, and I love that SlyDogStudios goes out and makes a whole different style of game like never before seen. Roth has helped me out with: K.Y.F.F., Tic-Tac XO (personal copy with smoke damage from the lungs of the creator), and the Rise of Amondus (Demo/proto). 

There was a time When Quack and I were working together in order to both complete a RetroUSB NES set. Unfortunately he dropped out of the challenge, but he certainly helped me along the way and There are some carts here I would have had a very difficult time finding had it not been for his help. Thank You quack!: Mike Tyson's Intergalactic Power Punch, I'm Kid Dracula, K.Y.F.F.(Yes another), Vs. Duck Hunt, Powerpak Lite, and Namco Star Wars

SKULLDEATH9000 tends to lurk on the facebook pages more than NA as of lately, and he has been busy with baseball season coaching his boy's team. He has helped me out tremendously on a handful of carts. We made a trade for Exerion 1+2 and U-Force Power Games. 
The one thing I can never thank him enough for is giving me the opportunity to own the only red copy of Donkey Kong Pie Foundry. From the kindness of his heart, he knew I would appreciate it and enjoy the translucent shell for my set. Thank You!

Sneak n Peek was thankfully acquired from "NEShomebrew"

Beat 'Em and Eat 'Em from "Vectrex280996" He also signed the back with a nice little message --> http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt111/111492KH/IMG_943720...

From the Man himself bunnyboy, ones I was lucky enough to acquire off the website: NWC 1990, HBWC, NCC, Ultimate Frogger Champ, Study Hall (Signed by KHAN of corse), Xmas 2013, Xmas 2014, Xmas 2015, Vs. Excite Bike, Vs. Castlevania, Vs. Mario Bros, Glider, Battle Kid, Battle Kid 2, The Mad Wizard, and Chunkout 2 

Megamanfan has helped me along the way with 2011 PRGE NWC, FantasyZone 2, and E.T. 
Cart signed by Thor and Robin

SoleGooseProductions had a spare Nomolos, which I am excited to have. This copy is also signed on the back, which I quite fancy signeratures by the creators He also gave me the opportunity to swap my grey version of GemVenture for his red because he knows I like the colors . The grey copy I had was acquired by my good friend Mofasa. 

Unknown: Vs. Hogan's Alley
I accidently cracked the shell :/ I'll find a replacement at some point, doesn't affect the playability 

THE XMAS CARTS
*8-bit Xmas 2008 - The Nolan Bros and their friend gave me a wonderful opportunity to own this masterpiece. I am very thankful for the group of people revolved around this purchase. When I looked at my collection prior to owning this cart, I thought, "There is no way I will ever find one". Mark and Matt, You guys made this happen. You guys made the last 6 carts of my set happen because this gave me hope that my dream may actually happen now. I owe you guys a huge thank you. 
*8-bit Xmas 2009 - Mofasa was generous enough to make a trade with me for this great looking cart. I have done a number of trades and deals with him, and he has helped me out a ton! he officially wrapped up my Xmas set with this game. Another shoutout for him coming up 
*8-bit Xmas 2010 - Many of us know P13R4T. He is one of the most genuine guys I have met. It is sad he is no longer around NintendoAge as much as he once was, but he certainly helped me out with this cart as well as 2011 and both 16-bit Xmas carts
*8-bit Xmas 2011 - P13R4T
*8-bit Xmas 2012 - KHANgames, such a good guy
*8-bit Xmas 2013 - RetroUSB
*8-bit Xmas 2014 - RetroUSB
*8-bit Xmas 2015 - RetroUSB
*8-bit Xmas 2015 proto - BunnyBoy

The FINAL 3
The final 3 carts to complete my set proved to be the hardest. I had to look outside NintendoAge in order to find them.

I followed a few old threads and transaction records to track down the owner of a Gradius II. I ended up following a trail to Digitpress where I got in contact with "Tanooki". After talking with him, he gave me the opportunity to own this

Dragon Scroll was another tough one. With so few made, I had to dig a bit. Outside of NA I found a fellow named Daniel who was thrilled he had a cart that would put me so much closer to finishing the set. he even sent a note with the cart welcoming it to it's new home. Wherever you are out there Daniel, I thank you!

The Final Verdict.
I told you Mofasa would be coming back. He helped me with the last cart of my Xmas set, and officially the last cart of my RetroUSB set. Through quite the trade, a Retrovision happened. Mofasa, you are quite the guy. You knew this was the last cart I needed for my set, and you made that happen. Thank you so much for helping me finish this.  

group shots:
KHANgames releases

SlyDogStudios Releases:
Also included Virus Cleaner and the prototype for Snail Maze in this pic

Sivak Games

Other releases

Xmas carts

Extras:
Teal Special Edition Campout Powerpak - Mofasa
IcePak Powerpak - marvelus10
Beta AVS system - KHANgames

As a disclaimer, I do not have all the variants of the games, but I have at least one version of each game that came from RetroZone/RetroUSB. I do not have all of the one-offs, but I plan on trying to hunt a few of them down 
Next on my list is picking up some more of the variants, maybe LE's, NA editions, possibly Protos, And I have a sick fetish for one-offs.

Some honorable mentions who have helped me track down carts or traded me carts that lead to finishing this set:
doner24, snoopy101, cbrown0806, Mario's Right Nut, skylersz, SpaceJockey, Tai, MrWunderful, AaronE, Majesty, XY, Hybrid, Dain, Ferris Bueller, K.Thrower, Captmorgandrinker, vcube, and I'm sure a ton of other people I cannot thik of at the moment!!

Post your RetroZone/RetroUSB collections! I love seeing what everyone else has worked towards!

-------------------------

Edited: 12/07/2015 at 02:56 PM by K3VBOT

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:58:47 PM
AtariJay (0)
(jbob h) < Meka Chicken >
Ohio
So pretty!

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:01:24 PM
JimJames (154)
(Sir Digby Chicken Caesar) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Absolutely insane. I've been observing since the beginning and it's been quite the journey. Congrats, dude!

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:04:25 PM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Dope collection, Kev! I have been eyeballing many of these games for a while, but it's hard to pull myself away from licensed stuff, for so many other systems. Even without owning any of these, I can tell they're quality, and I hear nothing but positive things about these titles.

Glad you could reach your goal (such a cool set to tackle, too)! Kudos.

Edited: 11/20/2015 at 09:04 PM by laddersandcakes

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:21:52 PM
GreatGadon (3)
(Robert ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Awesome man congrats.

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:31:06 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Pretty damn impressive!

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:35:13 PM
SpacemanSpiff (20)
(Calvin Hobbes) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Wow, that is really great! I enjoyed the breakdown of how you got them, congrats!

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:47:31 PM
K3VBOT (286)
(K3V ) < King Solomon >
Indiana
Thanks guys!
Sorry it's so pic heavy, I couldn't decide how I wanted to post the pics.
Feels unreal still. I certainly had a ton of help with it

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:57:23 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Better than my collection, other than protos

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:03:47 PM
D~Funk (81)
(David Qualls) < Master Higgins >
Oregon
Pretty awesome Kev-Dogg!
You the only known person with a complete set or are there others?

"Thats what i am, i'm just a grumpy guy with a big nose."

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:12:50 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
Man, I had no idea there was that many retrousb games out there. Congrats on the accomplishment!

Let's Go Penguins!

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:16:19 PM
ZombieGuyGeezus (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Thats a beautiful thing. Time to sell now right kev *cough* retrovision *cough*

Congrats dude. A great homage to this great community from from a great guy. 10/10 OP delivers

VideoGameSage.com

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:40:07 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
Impressive dude. Congratulations!

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:19:16 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
And a couple retrozone sleeves came from me if I remember correctly. That's a beauty of a collection man. I'm glad you were able to achieve your goal despite having to sell off some of your other completed collections to acquire it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:31:50 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Super happy for you dude. I know you put a ton of effort and time (not to mention $$$) into it and its really cool to see something only 1 (?) other person has.

www.videogamesage.com...

Edited: 11/20/2015 at 11:32 PM by MrWunderful

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:35:20 PM
K3VBOT (286)
(K3V ) < King Solomon >
Indiana
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Better than my collection, other than protos

Oh man... I can only imagine the cool stuff you have sitting around.
A boy can keep dreaming

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:37:24 PM
K3VBOT (286)
(K3V ) < King Solomon >
Indiana
Thanks guys!
I'm not sure if I have the first complete set or not. I don't know of anyone else, but I know there are a number of people close, and many people who have cooler versions of games than I.

I can officially take the coolest selfie though!

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:54:44 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Fantastic collection! I love the personal stories that go along with them. Your collection is a testament to the great community that is NA. I thought I might share the story of the gem of my collection, Larry and the Long Look for a Luscious Lover LE #3.

I joined NA in 2014 after years of lurking because I had finally beat Battlekid. I had long been aware that someone was working on a Leisure Suit Larry NES port but I didn't really expect anything to come of it. Shortly after I joined, KHANgames announced he was searching for beta testers for LSL. Kevin was gracious enough to allow this noob on his team. The team and I put all we had into destroying those beta versions. It was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. As a thank you, KHAN bestowed us each with an LE of the game.

I also made t shirts for the team. Here's yours truly sporting the most sought after tee.

I have never come across an online community as closely knit as NA and I would like to give a big thanks to everyone here. Here's the rest of my RetroUSB stuff all purchased from BunnyBoy's site save Larry and E.T. (PowerPak not pictured.)

Edited: 11/21/2015 at 12:06 AM by JamesRobot

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:12:18 AM
Fleck586 (155)
(Jason Fleck) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri
That is really really cool. I'm trying to get at least everything Bunny has for sale right now. Just missing the Nim/Siamond combo cart. One day, one day... I will try and snap some pics tomorrow and post. Very cool achievement!!

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:29:18 AM
K3VBOT (286)
(K3V ) < King Solomon >
Indiana
Awesome pic's James!
I hope others hop in and post some! Jason will
Love seeing those colorful carts

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:38:22 AM
rcorporon (34)
(Ron Corporon) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
Cool stuff!

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:54:45 AM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Congrats! I love you.

Nov 21, 2015 at 1:35:46 AM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: K3VBOT

Thanks guys!
I'm not sure if I have the first complete set or not. I don't know of anyone else, but I know there are a number of people close, and many people who have cooler versions of games than I.

I can officially take the coolest selfie though!

Image is way too grainy. Better throw the RetroVision into that Beta AVS

Nov 21, 2015 at 1:40:14 AM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
WOW!

It's strange to say this but I have a story aboot your collection. Many years ago (might have been 2012), I meet a fellow Ontario collector (Phil). He foretold me stories that one day he believed such Retrozone collectors would one day exists. And now that prophesy has been fulfilled. That collector is you...

Congrats.

Playas Guide Logo

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:06:31 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: ne$_pimp

WOW!

It's strange to say this but I have a story aboot your collection. Many years ago (might have been 2012), I meet a fellow Ontario collector (Phil). He foretold me stories that one day he believed such Retrozone collectors would one day exists. And now that prophesy has been fulfilled. That collector is you...

Congrats.

You're refering to OSG?