Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Yes! It's finally over! Ninja Gaiden: Complete + Mega Man 1 Too!

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:37:34 PM
zombi (43)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
Yes! I'm so relieved!

There is nothing better than taking down a difficult game!

My NES can finally rest as I've had it continually powered on most of the week.

Funny thing was, I really didn't intend on playing this game. For some reason, earlier in the week after completing ALTTP for the first time, I decided to pop this game in my NES and give it a quick go. I quickly breezed through the first few "Acts" and was surprised by how easy it seemed. I actually thought that I might beat it in one sitting. Boy was I in for it! Once I got to Act V, things really started to pick up. I started to only be able to beat a "sub-Act"(?) or 2 in one sitting. Then, I got to Act VI. Hollllllllly shiiiiiiiiiit. I honestly thought that I was going to just give up. Especially when I remember about the level rest that occurs if you die during any of the final boss battles. But I scratches and clawed, learned different techniques and strategies, practically memorized each part of the 3 stages...and I did it! Woo!

I would still say that Castlevania III is the hardest game that I've completed, but this one is definitely up there. Maybe on the same plane as Zelda II. That game was more of a difficult marathon and NG is more of a brutal sprint because the last 2 acts are where it really gets difficult.

4.23.17 Update.

Decided to pop in Mega Man 1 as I've never beaten it and I was in the mood to try out another one of the supposedly harder games on the NES.

I really didn't think it was that bad at all.

Edited: 04/23/2017 at 10:01 PM by zombi

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:56:52 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
I'd say NG doesn't get difficult until 6-2. Play it a few more times and you'll realize level 5 is a breeze.  

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:01:25 AM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: zombi
 I quickly breezed through the first few "Acts" and was surprised by how easy it seemed. I actually thought that I might beat it in one sitting. Boy was I in for it! Once I got to Act V, things really started to pick up. 

Haha I had the exact same experience my first time playing it. "Pfft, people think this is hard? Noooooo problem." until act 5 and 6 of course  

-------------------------
Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:55:52 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Awesome feat.  
Congratulations!

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:32:04 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Loxx O)))

I'd say NG doesn't get difficult until 6-2. Play it a few more times and you'll realize level 5 is a breeze.  
That coupled with respawning at 6-1 if you die at the boss rather than 6-3 makes it that much more difficult, since you don't get much time to really practice against the boss. The trick to 6-2 is speed. You have to go quickly and swiftly, otherwise the respawn rates will catch up quickly and really put you in a pickle.

When I was having trouble with it, I would get to the end of 6-2 and die, and keep practicing it, that way if I died at the boss, I wouldn't have too much trouble getting back to him.

Such a great game, though. The challenge is there, but it's far from impossible, and when you finally beat it - you get that "man, I did it" feeling.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:46:59 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Congrats! The first time I finished the game was on Wii Virtual Console. An emulation glitch means the castle still appears to be standing/whole after the pieces fall away. As a kid playing on NES, I actually could get to The Jaquio.

I still can't defeat The Jaquio unless I cheat by getting the spin slash attack and ignoring all other items as I play all the way up to him.

- Defeat the masked devil
(cutscene)
- Die on Jaquio because my item will be gone.
- Play all the way back with the spin slash and defeat Jaquio.
(cutscene)
- Die against the demon without a spin slash. (sometimes I can do it without)
- Play all the way back with the spin slash and defeat the demon.

Edited: 04/22/2017 at 11:50 AM by Ichinisan

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:57:01 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Nice. Now you should try to complete the two sequels on the NES. IMO, the sequels have harder levels and are more consistently challenging than the first game. Ninja Gaiden III even has limited continues.

I don't usually have a problem beating Jaquio with just the sword. It's the third form that gives me the most trouble. It can be tough dodging all those projectiles that it vomits at you and since they do three damage there isn't much room for error.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:58:46 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Definitely a pain to complete, sending you back to 6 2 is brutal for sure. Congrats!

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:03:10 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: mbd39

I don't usually have a problem beating Jaquio with just the sword. It's the third form that gives me the most trouble. It can be tough dodging all those projectiles that it vomits at you and since they do three damage there isn't much room for error.

The projectiles have a pattern and there's a safe place to stand where you need to hit the third form. You may need to move slightly in the safe spot, but once you find it, the final form is incredibly easy.

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:14:40 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: dra600n

The projectiles have a pattern and there's a safe place to stand where you need to hit the third form. You may need to move slightly in the safe spot, but once you find it, the final form is incredibly easy.

I'll keep that in mind. Sometimes I just can't keep out of the way of those projectiles. It's very annoying to have a no-death run ruined by that boss.

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:21:23 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

I'll keep that in mind. Sometimes I just can't keep out of the way of those projectiles. It's very annoying to have a no-death run ruined by that boss.

Yeah, definitely.

Here's a video of the final boss (all 3 forms):

You'll see there's a "safe zone" near where the head of the final form is, and every 2 or 3 spouts of projectiles, one will drop in that region, so you'd have to back out to the left.

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:22:37 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

That coupled with respawning at 6-1 if you die at the boss rather than 6-3 makes it that much more difficult, since you don't get much time to really practice against the boss. The trick to 6-2 is speed. You have to go quickly and swiftly, otherwise the respawn rates will catch up quickly and really put you in a pickle.

When I was having trouble with it, I would get to the end of 6-2 and die, and keep practicing it, that way if I died at the boss, I wouldn't have too much trouble getting back to him.

Such a great game, though. The challenge is there, but it's far from impossible, and when you finally beat it - you get that "man, I did it" feeling.

You nailed it with that "man, I did it comment". Once I finally beat it, I got to where I could 1cc it before getting to the point that I could no death it in around 15 minutes. That's not up there with the elite speedrunners, but I was really impressed when I could finally no death it.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:29:19 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Cool. I decided to finally beat Ninja Gaiden on Sega Master system for the first time earlier this week, it was much easier than any of the NES versions.

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:02:15 PM
zombi (43)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
Completed Mega Man 1 today too! Not nearly as heard IMO. Honestly, I thought MM2 and 3 were harder.

Apr 26, 2017 at 5:34:59 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Hah. I was well on my way of beating Mega Man 1 once, but my game glitched in the Wiley parts, and boom -- I was suddenly back the at the menu screen.

Its difficulty is overrated yeah, but I guess compared to the later entries its rumor is probably fair.

Ninja Gaiden is hard but its so fun. I thought the second game was a little bit easier, though not much. The third entry was quite brutal however.

?What are the weirdest games on NES? - What are the weirdest games on SNES
Game Boy Run: 24/40 - Nintendo NES Run: 48/48
Latest game beaten: Skate Or Die: Bad 'N Rad (1990)

Apr 26, 2017 at 5:37:39 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
Washington
MM2 is like one of the easiest games ever made.

Apr 26, 2017 at 5:55:23 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: zombi

Completed Mega Man 1 today too! Not nearly as heard IMO. Honestly, I thought MM2 and 3 were harder.
MM1 really only has one difficult spot but as most NES games go, you learn the pattern and you are good to go. (Althought I use to shit the bed a lot on Ice Man's stage with the floating platforms until I realised you can basically walk across it).

MM3 is the hardest by far out of the NES games, the Doc Robot master stages can be a bitch.

Good job though dude.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:41:27 PM
John198X (0)
(John -) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Yeah, MM1 is not too tough. I don't even think the yellow devil deserves his rep.  
Wily 4 is the hardest for me, but I think I'm just bad at fighting Guts Man and Fire Man.

Ninja Gaiden II's difficulty probably ramps up faster than NG1, but I'd say it's more even overall. Never gets quite as punishing. You should be able to get through that one with a much shorter time commitment!

1,000 game challenge 10/22/16 - 03/23/19
532 Games Beaten * 
nes-308 * sms-42
tgx-17 gen-29 snes-43 * ps-22
ps2-4 * gb-55 * gbc-12

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:46:08 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: John198X

Yeah, MM1 is not too tough. I don't even think the yellow devil deserves his rep.  
Wily 4 is the hardest for me, but I think I'm just bad at fighting Guts Man and Fire Man.

Ninja Gaiden II's difficulty probably ramps up faster than NG1, but I'd say it's more even overall. Never gets quite as punishing. You should be able to get through that one with a much shorter time commitment!

I think that Ninja Gaiden II has tougher stages, but the way that Ninja Gaiden sends you back to 6-1 when you die at the final bosses makes it harder for most people.

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:46:57 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
Washington
I don't think I've ever beaten like the second level of NG II.   I've only really played it a couple times, though.

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:48:04 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

I don't think I've ever beaten like the second level of NG II.   I've only really played it a couple times, though.

You really should play through the entire game at some point. It's a great sequel. So is the underrated NG3.

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:51:03 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
Washington
I have just very vague memories of the second game. I've only played the third on emulator and the Trilogy.

What is the second boss in II? The one that throws spiders or something at you? Or is that the first level?

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:54:41 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

I have just very vague memories of the second game. I've only played the third on emulator and the Trilogy.

What is the second boss in II? The one that throws spiders or something at you? Or is that the first level?

The spider thrower is the second boss. With clones and ninpo it's an incredibly easy boss battle. But that's true of the bosses in general.

Edited: 04/27/2017 at 05:55 PM by mbd39

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:57:21 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
Washington
Yeah, I'm just trying to remember how far I've gotten. I'm pretty sure I've beaten that boss.

Apr 27, 2017 at 7:58:42 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I want to learn that jumping slash trick where Ryu spazzes out and slashes like five times a second. Not the spin slash, but a regular sword slash on Jolt Cola.