Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: P.O.W. Prisoners of War Contest ends Sunday, 11/16/14 at 11 PM NA time

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:59:27 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Ahhh, nice, so does 2000k per extra lives sounds good?
5k would be a stronger force for clearing up accidental point-presses.

I'm pretty sure even mildly inefficient play can rack up an extra 2k on Boss 1.
It can definitely rack up more than that on Boss 5.

I think you would have to go out of your way to get an extra 5k or more, though I could be mistaken.
They show up pretty fast-and-furious on both of those bosses and killing them consistently racks up pretty quickly.

-------------------------

Edited: 11/12/2014 at 04:00 PM by arch_8ngel

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:04:50 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Well, 5k sounds alright, cause since there's already a no point racking rule, if someone is getting more than 5k in excess while battling a boss, it would mean that he's most probably violating the point racking rule.

I'll change the rules now.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:16:10 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Ok. Thanks for weighing in.

I didn't want to throw a wrench in the works, but I also didn't think it was right for the contest to reward inefficiency or accidental point-racking on a game-winning run, since the natural point spread is going to be extremely tight at that point.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:32:24 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
I completely understand your concerns, the game already offers limited points throughout stages, but there's these bosses where inefficiency is rewarded. Also, the challenge of losing less lives put a nice twist to the contest, cause it seriously takes more skills to beat it in one 1 life vs 10 lives, while the score don't reflect that.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:40:22 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Also, the challenge of losing less lives put a nice twist to the contest, cause it seriously takes more skills to beat it in one 1 life vs 10 lives, while the score don't reflect that.
Agree completely, given the respawn mechanic. 

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:19:44 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
I tried to play this a few days ago and man do I suck at this!

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:26:38 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

It is a steep curve to master the rhythm of the game, but I think it only took eight to ten attempts to start making it to the end consistently.

It is all about figuring out how to punch everybody at once with the brass knuckles so nobody has a chance to hit you.

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:46:01 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

I am right there with you!

After about 5 attempts, I got to the Stage 2 boss and was thoroughly thrashed.

I wasn't planning on spending a whole lot of time this week on the game but now I'm rethinking that.

Also, the jump kick move is unnecessarily difficult to pull off for some reason.  And I don't find it to be all that useful anyway.

And screw the motorcycle guys!

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:55:16 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: arnpoly

I am right there with you!

After about 5 attempts, I got to the Stage 2 boss and was thoroughly thrashed.

I wasn't planning on spending a whole lot of time this week on the game but now I'm rethinking that.

Also, the jump kick move is unnecessarily difficult to pull off for some reason.  And I don't find it to be all that useful anyway.

And screw the motorcycle guys!

The ONLY thing the jump kick is good for, IMO, is avoiding being shot by boss 2 and boss 4, avoiding the motorcycle guys, and dodging exploding grenades.

I never use to offensively, but it does put you "out of plane" for bullets and explosion effects.

"The trick" with Boss 2 (and subsequent appearances of the shotgun guy -- he reappears in Level 4 bonus rooms and has the second-to-last boss in Level 6) is to jump kick your way to him and then either punch him repeatedly (if you have brass knuckles) or kick him until he isn't stunned anymore.

If you are really careful toward the end of Level 2 you can save a combat knife to throw at him and take about half of his health. (same applies at the end of Level 3 and Level 4 -- weakening the sumo boss in level 3 is crucial, IMO)

For regular level progression -- don't underestimate the value of the armor and the power of the brass knuckles.  I punch my way through most of the game once I have the knuckles, and you are unstoppable (armor makes you immune to thrown knives and bullets)

Edited: 11/13/2014 at 10:56 AM by arch_8ngel

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:21:16 AM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

The ONLY thing the jump kick is good for, IMO, is avoiding being shot by boss 2 and boss 4, avoiding the motorcycle guys, and dodging exploding grenades.

I never use to offensively, but it does put you "out of plane" for bullets and explosion effects.

"The trick" with Boss 2 (and subsequent appearances of the shotgun guy -- he reappears in Level 4 bonus rooms and has the second-to-last boss in Level 6) is to jump kick your way to him and then either punch him repeatedly (if you have brass knuckles) or kick him until he isn't stunned anymore.

If you are really careful toward the end of Level 2 you can save a combat knife to throw at him and take about half of his health. (same applies at the end of Level 3 and Level 4 -- weakening the sumo boss in level 3 is crucial, IMO)

For regular level progression -- don't underestimate the value of the armor and the power of the brass knuckles.  I punch my way through most of the game once I have the knuckles, and you are unstoppable (armor makes you immune to thrown knives and bullets)

Good advice.  I hadn't thought about using the jump kick to escape.  It sounds good in theory but it's so hard for me to pull off consistently that it doesn't do me much good.

It's nice that you can basically stunlock all the enemies -- at least all the ones I have encountered so far.  It takes a little while to get the feel for it, as well as getting in the first hit to get it started.  I have the hardest time keeping from getting pinched in between two enemies.

I have the same overall strategy ... kick everything.  Then when you get the brass knuckles punch everything!

I also figured out that if you can keep the gun to the Level 1 boss, you can take it down extremely quick. 

Take On The NES Library!

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:28:10 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I also figured out that if you can keep the gun to the Level 1 boss, you can take it down extremely quick. 
I usually have my gun by the Level 1 boss, but I just shoot the first wave or two of knife guys and then punch the other guys to get grenades.

You were able to actually damage the boss with the gun?

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:20:37 PM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois

I usually have my gun by the Level 1 boss, but I just shoot the first wave or two of knife guys and then punch the other guys to get grenades.

Yeah, if you stand on the top row and wait for the copter to move down a little you can blast it with the gun.  Two shots does the trick!

Take On The NES Library!

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:22:47 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Yeah, if you stand on the top row and wait for the copter to move down a little you can blast it with the gun.  Two shots does the trick!

Ha, no kidding.

I usually just hit it with 5 grenades, or whatever it is that it takes.

There isn't much reason to be hit by the guys on that boss, since they are easy to punch-stun with the brass knuckles.

The Level 5 boss is way worse, since it randomly lobs grenades of its own which can be a pain to avoid.
It takes more grenades to kill, as well. (and no preceding level, so no chance for a gun or anything like that)

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:42:45 PM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois

Ha, no kidding.

I usually just hit it with 5 grenades, or whatever it is that it takes.

There isn't much reason to be hit by the guys on that boss, since they are easy to punch-stun with the brass knuckles.

The Level 5 boss is way worse, since it randomly lobs grenades of its own which can be a pain to avoid.
It takes more grenades to kill, as well. (and no preceding level, so no chance for a gun or anything like that)

The reason I found that out was because I couldn't figure out how to do damage to the boss and accidentally hit it with the gun once.  I ended up dying trying to reproduce that.  The next time I noticed the enemies drop grenades so I used them, but that was the only time I beat it that way.  If you can get there with the gun it is so much more effective.  But if you have to do a refight later on it's probably best to "practice" on Level 1 with grenades.

Grenades in this game are awful by the way!

Take On The NES Library!

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:51:39 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Grenades in this game are awful by the way!

Just wait until you get to the later occurrences of Boss 2.

His grenade dropping pace increases massively, and they start to tend toward you rather than just being tossed in front of him.

If you dodge them you can beat him without dying just fine.

But if you get blown up, expect to get blown up 2 or 3 times in a row!

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:42:53 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
This game is wrecking me hardcore. The combat isn't the issue either, it's guys like the grenade tosser halfway through Stage 3 taking multiple lives from me because for some reason SNK had to make dying to explosives realistic. Also, what's the deal with getting knocked down with a gun in your hands and losing your powerups? I know you lose them when you die, but that shouldn't happen when you get knocked down with a gun in your hand...

I also find myself dying to bikers due to miss timed kicks. They're worth a good amount of points but the risk/reward payoff doesn't seem like it's worth it

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:55:03 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Balloon_Kid

This game is wrecking me hardcore. The combat isn't the issue either, it's guys like the grenade tosser halfway through Stage 3 taking multiple lives from me because for some reason SNK had to make dying to explosives realistic. Also, what's the deal with getting knocked down with a gun in your hands and losing your powerups? I know you lose them when you die, but that shouldn't happen when you get knocked down with a gun in your hand...

I also find myself dying to bikers due to miss timed kicks. They're worth a good amount of points but the risk/reward payoff doesn't seem like it's worth it
I've had it happen without a gun in my hands before, as well, when hit by a biker.

I don't know if it is random, or what.

My strategy with the bikers is to stay tight to the bottom of the screen and jump-kick-dodge when it looks like one might be close enough to hit me.  I've only killed them by accident.

For the couple of sniper-grenadiers (Level 1 after the 2nd tunnel, and Level 3 after the river) you need to anticipate them and COMMIT to making progress.

Basically, you know where they are going to be so be ready to MOVE.

Get aligned tight with the top of the screen, and stay full-right until you are will past them.
If it looks, even a little bit, like a grenade will explode near you, JUMP KICK.

It is possible to get by them consistently without getting hit, I promise.

Edited: 11/13/2014 at 01:55 PM by arch_8ngel

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:46:42 PM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois
I cannot for the life of me beat this Level 2 boss. I've tried four times tonight. I can get there just fine. But then I can't avoid the grenades. I can't pull off the jump kick move when I want to. It's just too finicky. If you die once, or even get there without armor, you might as well forget it and start over. And I hate replaying Level 2 for 10 minutes each time just to lose all my lives at the boss. I just feel so ... broken by this stupid video game.

Honestly, I don't think this is a bad game. But it is leaving a bad taste in my mouth and I'm barely enjoying myself. I'm pretty close to just dropping it altogether and taking a participation point this week. I'm worried that I'm going to break a controller over here if I keep trying, haha.

Take On The NES Library!

Nov 14, 2014 at 8:25:49 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I am surprised you are having such a hard time with the jumping.

It is just like Double Dragon or Bayou Billy, and in fact I think the controls are tighter than either of those two.

If you have armor you don't need to jump at all.
Just charge him, punch him once on the way, and stay in motion to avoid the blasts.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:06:42 AM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois

It is just like Double Dragon or Bayou Billy, and in fact I think the controls are tighter than either of those two.

Just charge him, punch him once on the way, and stay in motion to avoid the blasts.

I disagree completely.  For me it is the exact opposite.  I can jump kick in Double Dragon and Bayou Billy nearly every time.  I can do the jump slash in TMNT 2 almost every time.  In P.O.W. it's about half the time, maybe even less.  I would guess the timing and/or buffering of key presses is a tiny bit different and I can't adjust.  Now I do better if I point my thumb at 9 o'clock and hit both buttons ... but I shouldn't have to twist my thumb every time I want to do the move.

I suppose it's this combination of factors that makes this game not that fun to play for me right now.  It's the "quirkyness" of the jump, the seemingly larger hitbox for the one-hit-kill grenades, the near-instant respawn and death to aforementioned grenades, and having to regrind Level 2 each time just to practice the boss.

Take On The NES Library!

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:15:31 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I disagree completely.  For me it is the exact opposite.  I can jump kick in Double Dragon and Bayou Billy nearly every time.  I can do the jump slash in TMNT 2 almost every time.  In P.O.W. it's about half the time, maybe even less.  I would guess the timing and/or buffering of key presses is a tiny bit different and I can't adjust.  Now I do better if I point my thumb at 9 o'clock and hit both buttons ... but I shouldn't have to twist my thumb every time I want to do the move.

I suppose it's this combination of factors that makes this game not that fun to play for me right now.  It's the "quirkyness" of the jump, the seemingly larger hitbox for the one-hit-kill grenades, the near-instant respawn and death to aforementioned grenades, and having to regrind Level 2 each time just to practice the boss.

I guess I just lucked out on getting the feel for the jumping, then, because I definitely have issues with consistently getting the TMNT2 jump slash to work every time, but 100% results on POW jumping is no issue.

The grenade hit-box is just the full size of the explosion.

But repeated grenade deaths are definitely a HUGE pain-in-the-ass on the shot-gun guys since they hurl grenades into piles that blow up in sequence.

Seriously, get to that boss with armor and just walk up to him, punch him on your way by, keep moving to avoid grenades, lather-rinse-repeat.

Get to him with a knife to knock out about half of his health, or more. (i think it only takes 2 brass knuckle punches if you hit him with the combat knife first)

Boss 2, 3, and 4 are all made considerably easier by planning ahead and having a combat knife to throw.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:30:55 AM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois
Alright man I'll give it a shot after work and I'll let you know how it goes!

I am probably exaggerating since I'm frustrated with this game, but I do think the hitboxes are a little wonky. The best contrast is in the item pickups. I can be standing right on top of it and not pick it up. But if one pixel of the grenade explosion touches your guy, you're toast.

Take On The NES Library!

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:53:45 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Alright man I'll give it a shot after work and I'll let you know how it goes!

I am probably exaggerating since I'm frustrated with this game, but I do think the hitboxes are a little wonky. The best contrast is in the item pickups. I can be standing right on top of it and not pick it up. But if one pixel of the grenade explosion touches your guy, you're toast.

Look at it this way, if the grenades weren't so dangerous, the game would be a cakewalk.

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:12:36 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Stage 4 101,800. Man, that 3rd level perched bomb guy got 2 lives out of me. I tried to run through, got hit by a bomb, and right before I could respawn, hit by another bomb. Got pretty far stage 4 (past the laser guys) but died on a stupid bomb guy again. Use to play this one in the arcade alot too and liked it but man, those bomb guys...

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:27:17 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Caleb47

Stage 4 101,800. Man, that 3rd level perched bomb guy got 2 lives out of me. I tried to run through, got hit by a bomb, and right before I could respawn, hit by another bomb. Got pretty far stage 4 (past the laser guys) but died on a stupid bomb guy again. Use to play this one in the arcade alot too and liked it but man, those bomb guys...

Neat trick I figured out on the laser guys...

If you get the 1st laser guy into view, and THEN enter the alcove (to fight the shotgunner), when you come back out the laser guy is gone for good.

Makes navigating that section quite a bit safer.