Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Game Hack chips challenge isp patch release

Nov 26, 2015 at 8:21:24 AM
hybrid (45)
(jeff .) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
 i have been tinkering with the recently released prototype
several things which were still i the game i've managed to "fix"
such as all 149 levels and passwords for 137/149 are now availible the ending credits now apear after the ending and no longer freeze still a bit more work neeedto be done

-------------------------

Edited: 03/12/2017 at 03:35 AM by hybrid

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:54:36 AM
Fleck586 (155)
(Jason Fleck) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri
Nicely done!

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:00:59 AM
zzattack (6)

< Little Mac >
Cool! I remember playing some of these BOWEP games for ages when I was like 7 or so... stuff like chips challenge, pipe dream, jezzball and the unforgettable skifree! Chips challenge was insanely hard though, I think I gave up around level 60 or so

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:53:37 AM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
I would love to get a repro of the finished product of how the game should of been when it was 100% completed! =)

Keep up the good work dude!

Edited: 12/08/2015 at 01:53 AM by Armageddon Potato

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:00:30 AM
hybrid (45)
(jeff .) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
well i don't think i will be able to get it to 100% of what the game should be but here's what i with some help have accomplished
149 levels all have passwords all 149 levels accessible fixed ending credits display afterwords no crash. the only thing left would be the sound at this point and that is beyond what u can do

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:20:19 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Very cool news. I LOVED this game, but haven't played it in ages.

I'd expect D-Pad control to feel phenomenal.

What mapper is used? And what are the release plans? (either ROM or otherwise)

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:37:39 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Don't count on it. I have been testing this game, and although it is a great game....the controls are extremely frustrating. Still worth a play once you slow down and get the hang of them. It is just the timed levels that make you rush through the levels that piss you off. Non responsive accuracy kills your motivation sometimes.

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:33:49 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Thats awesome. Maybe no sound but just some music to loop? Better than nothing

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:07:01 PM
hybrid (45)
(jeff .) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
if i knew anything about music i would add something

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:48:16 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Benihana

Don't count on it. I have been testing this game, and although it is a great game....the controls are extremely frustrating. Still worth a play once you slow down and get the hang of them. It is just the timed levels that make you rush through the levels that piss you off. Non responsive accuracy kills your motivation sometimes.

Did you play through the pc version?

The controls were always pretty jerky.

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:09:29 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington

Did you play through the pc version? The controls were always pretty jerky.

Never Played the PC version. First time I played it was this version.
Controls are not "jerky" per se'. They are just inconsistant.
Sometimes I hold for 1 sec and I move 1 block, sometimes I hold for 1 sec and I move 2 blocks ect....
It is really hard to judge and make precise fast movements  when you are not 100% what is going to happen.

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Edited: 12/08/2015 at 10:11 PM by Benihana

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:13:36 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Did you play through the pc version? The controls were always pretty jerky.

Never Played the PC version. First time I played it was this version.
Controls are not "jerky" per se'. They are just inconsistant.
Sometimes I hold for 1 sec and I move 1 block, sometimes I hold for 1 sec and I move 2 blocks ect....
It is really hard to judge and make precise fast movements  when you are not 100% what is going to happen.

Chips Challenge is one of those games made for discrete key presses, not button holding.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:59:17 PM
hybrid (45)
(jeff .) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
yeah the controls are frustrating but it adds to the charm of the game i may not be good at the game but its been real fun hacking this game and making it more complete
its hard to believe it was all there

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:38:46 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Any word on what is happening with this?

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:52:04 AM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
There was an auction for 3 LEs of the fixed ROM that just completed. The plan is to then move on to using that to fund the small RE release

Jan 12, 2016 at 1:03:24 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: AaronE

The plan is to then move on to using that to fund the small RE release

I saw the LE release, just curious what the actual timeline and scope for the standard release is.

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:36:35 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Loving this game!

So far this is a really nice port of the Window's game.

Obviously the color depth and pixel count is lower, but it is easily forgivable to be able to play it with a controller on the TV.

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:32:25 PM
jonwvsu (1)

(Jon Beyer) < Tourian Tourist >
West Virginia
I think there needs to be a bit of a delay between d-pad inputs. I found myself running into obstacles way more often than the PC version. And some .nsf tracker composer ought to write a soundtrack for this. I know the original didn't have it, but it would add to the feel of the game. Add the rest of the PC levels for the perfect port! Its a great game!

Edited: 03/16/2016 at 01:33 PM by jonwvsu

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:41:35 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Yeah the controls are pretty tricky at first. After a dozen levels or so I started to get used to how you had to handle them. That's not to say bad controls should be part of the game, but you should be able to make an adjustment to compensate.

Interesting that this was never officially released. I'm going to have to do a little sleuthing as to why. I'm sure someone has already posted about it so feel free to share!

Edited: 03/16/2016 at 01:43 PM by mattbep

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:02:18 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: mattbep

Interesting that this was never officially released. I'm going to have to do a little sleuthing as to why. I'm sure someone has already posted about it so feel free to share!
Yeah, I don't know how much effort was required to make it functional for the release we've just seen, but it's astonishing that they'd have implemented all of the PC levels and never released the game.

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:16:45 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
(Kenny Boy) < Master Higgins >
Colorado
Is the rom available somewhere or is everyone here playing testers?

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:25:52 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: K.Thrower

Is the rom available somewhere or is everyone here playing testers?

I managed to snag one of the copies that were for sale a week or so ago.

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:12:00 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana

Yeah, I don't know how much effort was required to make it functional for the release we've just seen, but it's astonishing that they'd have implemented all of the PC levels and never released the game.

The prototype never had all of the windows levels implemented; that was one of the more painsteaking things on our release. Getting all the levels working and the passwords for all the unadded levels wasn't very simple. That and fixing various game crashes like when the credits would roll.

Edited: 03/16/2016 at 08:13 PM by AaronE

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:16:13 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: AaronE

The prototype never had all of the windows levels implemented; that was one of the more painsteaking things on our release. Getting all the levels working and the passwords for all the unadded levels wasn't very simple. That and fixing various game crashes like when the credits would roll.
What percentage of the levels were already complete?

Did adding the rest run into memory issues?

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:22:30 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
Lost Levels' write up on the prototype said it was 136 levels.
I'm not sure how much trouble Jeff ran into implementing the remaining levels but I do remember that getting the passwords working for all the levels seemed like a bigger deal. We had to get bunnyboys help to figure out how the level passwords functioned to figure out how to get all of those working.

They also mention this about the history of the game:
We're not sure what became of the NES version. What we do know is that Bullet-Proof announced it at Winter CES, January 1991, then exhibited it again at Summer CES in June, and then as far as we can tell, never mentioned it again. Interestingly, this build of the game is dated 5/8/1992, meaning that it was burned well after those demos. And, you may notice, Bullet-Proof does not appear in the ROM at all. Perhaps Bullet-Proof decided to pass, and this was a polished demo that was being passed around in the hopes of finding a new publisher? I contacted the NES version's programmer to ask, but haven't heard back. I'll update this should he ever reply