Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

(New) Game Boy box rarity list (No Longer Being Updated) - Please Lock It Feel free to help out with the list.

LOCKED TOPIC

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:37:46 PM
Fahrenheit (36)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: mydogsrule

I have a factory sealed Sumo Fighter. I've always been curious about it. I paid around $10 a few years ago when I visited California. I have been contacted about selling but I enjoy having it since I found it in the wild. Have any popped up forsale. I'm not sure about prices on this.
A complete copy popped up in December for just under $400, beyond that I have no idea what a sealed copy would go for. Jonebone or RpgCollector might be able to give you an accurate price gauge though.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:42:45 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Well a CIB copy of Sumo Fighter sold for $1400 in Sept / Oct so who knows. Even a CIB Avenging Spirit broke $1k recently. Sumo is certainly an easy 4 digits these days.

-------------------------
WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:49:13 PM
Fahrenheit (36)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: jonebone

Well a CIB copy of Sumo Fighter sold for $1400 in Sept / Oct so who knows. Even a CIB Avenging Spirit broke $1k recently. Sumo is certainly an easy 4 digits these days.
Everytime I look at that 1k sale on Avenging Spirit, I look back to 2012 when I could've grabbed a factory sealed copy of that game for $70. I regret passing that that up so much, if for no other reason than the fact that it would have made great trade bait for a couple GB titles in particular. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Edited: 01/18/2015 at 06:49 PM by Fahrenheit

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:02:41 PM
mydogsrule (165)

(Jonathan Smith) < Kraid Killer >
Tennessee
Was that factory sealed avenging spirits on Amazon? I saw one on there around that time. I have bad luck with buying sealed games on there though so I passed. A couple 've bought have been shipped in envelopes and crushed. Sonic blastman II snes which was super cheap and a turbo grafx game. Amazon refunded for the TG game though and told me to keep it since the warehouse didn't package properly. I was surprised they did that.

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:17:31 PM
Fahrenheit (36)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: mydogsrule

Was that factory sealed avenging spirits on Amazon? I saw one on there around that time. I have bad luck with buying sealed games on there though so I passed. A couple 've bought have been shipped in envelopes and crushed. Sonic blastman II snes which was super cheap and a turbo grafx game. Amazon refunded for the TG game though and told me to keep it since the warehouse didn't package properly. I was surprised they did that.
Oh woah, nope! The copy I found was on a different website, I even recall asking Dain what he thought of the price. That's crazy if there were actually two sealed copies up for sale around the same time, or perhaps it could've been the same seller on both websites. I hear you though, I get pretty antsy when I buy any sort of sealed game through Amazon.

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:46:48 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Yeah there was a VGA 90 Avenging Spirit up on Amazon forever that I passed over too. Oh well, I'm just glad I own a CIB, and I sold a CIB last year at a pretty nice price too.

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:24:07 PM
Sjp5412 (66)
(Sam ) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
picked up Ninja Taro CIB last week.

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:50:03 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Any interests in me adding some nominations for a "Commons that aren't common" tier? Stuff like sports and other titles that seem pretty boring but are actually R6s at least. Stuff that I guarantee people will get hung up on as they try to finish a set.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:06:36 PM
Sjp5412 (66)
(Sam ) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota

Any interests in me adding some nominations for a "Commons that aren't common" tier? Stuff like sports and other titles that seem pretty boring but are actually R6s at least. Stuff that I guarantee people will get hung up on as they try to finish a set.

I think that would be a very helpful list to have, at least for me.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:36:07 PM
Sterling_Archer (0)
< Crack Trooper >
I would enjoy seeing that list as well!

Concerning the list in the OP: I really feel like Stop That Roach could be an R8, and Lazlo's Leap and Castelian may be worth considering for at least the 6.5 tier. Those are minor suggestions though; I feel like it's pretty dead-on.

Edited: 01/19/2015 at 04:45 PM by Sterling_Archer

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:27:49 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Originally posted by: Sterling_Archer

I would enjoy seeing that list as well!

Concerning the list in the OP: I really feel like Stop That Roach could be an R8, and Lazlo's Leap and Castelian may be worth considering for at least the 6.5 tier. Those are minor suggestions though; I feel like it's pretty dead-on.
Eh, if you bumped up Stop that Roach you'd have to bump up several other R7s as well.  I could see the argument either way but I like it as an R7.

Lazlo's Leap is a good one I forgot to mention, I'd put that as an R7 too.  Castelian is probably R6, maybe R6.5.  Has a game specific poster too that adds value.

I'll see if I can come up with a "Commons that aren't Common" list sometime tomorrow.  After getting really close to a CIB set and tracking GB for several years, some of the "commons" just never turn up.

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:42:02 PM
Fahrenheit (36)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
I've edited the list to include Lazlo's Leap and Castelian, I will not be bumping Stop That Roach up to an R8 though. Primarily because I don't really feel that it's on par with complete GB games like Avenging Spirit, Centipede Accolade, Chuck Rock, Spanky's Quest or Sumo Fighter. They're in a whole other league, while Stop That Roach had at least 3-4 CIB copies pop up in 2014 alone.

Edited: 01/19/2015 at 10:21 PM by Fahrenheit

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:15:02 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Alright, here's my best shot at a "Commons that aren't Common" list.  What does that mean?  These are titles that may get confused for commons to new collectors.  This can be because A) They are "boring" sports titles or B) They are titles that are common on other platforms.  This list is not meant to include all the R6s in the library, as some R6s should never be mistaken for a common, like Dr. Franken II. 

All titles on this list are not equal.  Some of these may even be borderline R7s, and a couple may be closer to R5s.  The point is that none of these are commons despite their appearance.

Also, in making this list, I realized Alfred Chicken was off our list.  That is a clear R7 and needs to be added.

Jonebone's GB Commons that aren't so Common List!

All Star Baseball '99
Cool Spot (Not the Green one, and not New Adventures)
Days of Thunder
Dick Tracy
Elite Soccer
Extra Bases
Goal! (Note: Heavily counterfeited out of Europe, don't buy from there)
Judge Dredd
Lamborghini American Challenge
Lethal Weapon
Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow
Muhammad Ali Boxing
Rampart
Riddick Bowe Boxing
Robin Hood
Stargate
Talespin (First Print Capcom, not Sunsoft)
True Lies
World Circuit Series

Some of the themes are soccer games, boxing games, and games based on movies.  These are all titles that you pick them up if you see them for a reasonable price.  They simply don't turn up as much as you'd think.

Edited: 01/20/2015 at 12:16 PM by jonebone

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:16:27 PM
Fahrenheit (36)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Thanks, Jone! I've added the list to the main post, as well as Alfred Chicken. Many of those can be pretty tough to track down I've noticed, especially the soccer titles.

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:33:34 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
So any feedback from you GB collectors or lurkers regarding my "Commons that aren't common" list? Figured I'd at least spark a discussion

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:09:54 PM
Sjp5412 (66)
(Sam ) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
I'm glad to see Rampart getting some love, it's tough to even track down a loose cart for this game.

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:24:25 PM
Fahrenheit (36)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: Sjp5412

I'm glad to see Rampart getting some love, it's tough to even track down a loose cart for this game.
Tell me about it, every since Iggyboo made a thread about it in the collector's corner, people jumped on purchasing any copies they could find, now the only copy available for the time being is a $40 cartridge. Someone also mentioned Super Breakout for the original gameboy being rather difficult to find, which I'd have to agree with, it's a bit frustrating trying to find even a cartridge only copy of that game.

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:24:51 PM
Philosoraptor (52)
< King Solomon >
Texas

Jonebone's GB Commons that aren't so Common List!

Goal! (Note: Heavily counterfeited out of Europe, don't buy from there)
EFF GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought a counterfeit one. Why do I like rare soccer games!!!!

Also, been trying to track down CIB GB copies of Ninja Boy 1 and 2. I know 2 is on the list, but would Ninja Boy 1 be a R7? Only 2 have sold on VG Price Charts, and the one that is currently up, I suspect, is fake.

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:00:31 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Originally posted by: Deathmore

Tell me about it, every since Iggyboo made a thread about it in the collector's corner, people jumped on purchasing any copies they could find, now the only copy available for the time being is a $40 cartridge. Someone also mentioned Super Breakout for the original gameboy being rather difficult to find, which I'd have to agree with, it's a bit frustrating trying to find even a cartridge only copy of that game.

I sold Dantendo my spare Super Breakout CIB the other week for $50.  I never had problems with it in the past, but anything can spike up after a drought!

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:08:01 PM
Fahrenheit (36)
< Lolo Lord >
United States

Originally posted by: Deathmore

I sold Dantendo my spare Super Breakout CIB the other week for $50.  I never had problems with it in the past, but anything can spike up after a drought!
Nice! It's definitely not the worst GB game when it comes to trying to find it complete, I mean I did actually see a factory sealed copy of it sell for I think $40 last year, but time will tell how easy it'll be to find in the future.

Edited: 01/23/2015 at 05:08 PM by Fahrenheit

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:39:07 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Oh and here's another title I'd add to the Commons that aren't so common list...

Frogger

Pain to search for because of all of the GBC versions, but not nearly as easy to find as a CIB as you may think. I've seen less Froggers than Super Breakout which seems to be getting some hype as of late.

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:50:32 PM
Fahrenheit (36)
< Lolo Lord >
United States

Oh and here's another title I'd add to the Commons that aren't so common list...

Frogger

Pain to search for because of all of the GBC versions, but not nearly as easy to find as a CIB as you may think. I've seen less Froggers than Super Breakout which seems to be getting some hype as of late.
Thanks for the heads up.

For anyone interested, there's a CIB Frogger in this lot for $15 shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/161576089...
The condition is too poor for me to want to add it to my collection, but for anyone that doesn't care about the condition, have at it.

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:19:19 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Yeah that's been relisted a few times and I almost bought to resell myself, but I'd rather see it go to a collector. If I had it up it'd be $39.99 BIN and I'd be firm. Good deal for someone working on the set.

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:51:25 AM
Portabello (151)
< Meka Chicken >
New York
^^^ that lot is tempting and I don't even collect for the set. I just love original GB and a good find.

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:29:49 AM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
Have these been changed in the database too? If not, and it's green lit, I can help edit.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here