Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Jaws NES - WATA Sealed / Reseal Question

Oct 05 at 4:23:33 PM
TheAnalogKid (47)
(B T) < Eggplant Wizard >
British Columbia
Checking on a WATA Jaws here, to make sure I'm not missing a variant or seal variation.

WATA has noted and graded it as 'sealed' on the label, giving it a score, while noting it was resealed by publisher on the back of the label.

Looks like a textbook reseal here, something that would not/should not be graded as anything beyond a CIB. How do we know it was resealed by publisher, or should it matter at all who performed did the reseal?

Thoughts gang?

-------------------------

Edited: 10/06/2019 at 06:13 PM by TheAnalogKid

Oct 05 at 5:21:12 PM
GPX (1)

< Meka Chicken >
I'm curious to know what does "box bottom misassembled" mean? Are you able to show us pics of the bottom?

Edited: 10/05/2019 at 05:21 PM by GPX

Oct 05 at 5:45:04 PM
GPX (1)

< Meka Chicken >
Regarding the topic thread, there are actually 2 main questions:

1. How do we know if it's a genuine seal by the publisher?
- probably the most reliable way is to talk directly to the companies who made the games or published the games; or possibly talking to people who were owning the shops and buying directly from the publishers.
- talking to other sealed collectors who have been reliable sources of information
- where it gets tricky is that the item is a one of a kind (or very few exist) and has an unusual seal from the publishing factory. This can be confused with a resealed from a secondary source (from shop owners, buyers or scammers)

2. It should matter who did the "reseal" because:
- it might not actually be a "reseal" but an original factory seal variant
- it might actually be resealed by the publisher but for genuine reasons whilst contents remaining brand new (eg. putting in some extra pamphlets/stickers/promo stuff)
- it might be from the shops who resealed perhaps due to damage to the original factory sealed, or resealed to prevent content theft.
- it might be due to a buyer/scammer at their own homes.

So basically a reseal has several possibilities of origin and they can exist in genuine brand new contents, used contents or reproduction.

Oct 05 at 5:48:29 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
A reseal is a reseal that's disappointing to say the least. I'm going to bite my tongue here because I respect the guys but man I just dont know anymore.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Oct 05 at 6:23:52 PM
NesQuest (7)
< Crack Trooper >
What does "from the offices" mean? In my eyes, that infers or implies something much different than from a facility, manufacturer, factory, etc. "Offices" says to me it was done to circulate internally for presentational purposes or something.

Are others labeled in this fashion or am I reading way too much into it?

Oct 05 at 6:28:10 PM
YOURTURN (0)
(Philip N.) < Little Mac >
California
If this is anything like TakaraTomy's dealing with the Transformers line the re-seal was done due to reports of QC related packing. In this case it sounds like the portion of the packing was done in a way that the contents were not secure. And because of that they opened those with this issue up, put in the correct packing material, and re-sealed them. Which has me give WATA the reason of the doubt by concluding that they did investigate before making said conclusion.

Oct 05 at 7:08:45 PM
TheAnalogKid (47)
British Columbia
Added the snap of the bottom of the box.

We can rule out factory seal, certainly. Garden variety reseal or something specific to LJN? It looks in line with other reseals we've seen.

3rd Party LTB seam. Anyone with an idea on meaning of LTB?

Oct 05 at 7:12:05 PM
TheAnalogKid (47)
British Columbia
FWIW, the seller of the item surprised about the label and seal, no knowledge of it coming from LJN.

Curious one to be sure.

Oct 05 at 9:14:07 PM
DoctorEncore (6)
< Crack Trooper >
Yeah, that would be a pass for me... I'm not even interested in how they came up with the labeling.

Current Project: NES NTSC CIB Set
Progress: ~550/678

WTB: CIB NES games. PM me if seeking a buyer. CLICK HERE TO SEE MY LIST.

WTB: NIB NES games so I can open them and add to the_wizard_666's Sealed Game Contents forum topic and FAQ @ https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes....

Oct 05 at 10:59:44 PM
austin532 (91)
(Mike ) < El Ripper >
Arizona
Bottom box misassembled most likely meaning the tabs are not locked in. You'd be surprised how many people don't know how to put the bottom of the box back together. Hard to tell from the pic but that's what it looks like.

My Ultimate 100% CIB NES Collector's Guide
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

NES, SNES, + misc. stuff for sale here
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Oct 05 at 11:07:52 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
I'd shoot them a mssg. My guess is somehow they believe it to be a factory repack. I have no idea how they would know that but they must have a reason to believe that.

I don't have an issue with it as they are clearly stating it's a third-party seal. With that said I wouldn't be a buyer on something like that unless it was at a CIB price.

Oct 06 at 12:36:28 AM
GPX (1)

< Meka Chicken >
This is where the "Qualified" rating comes in handy via the VGA approach. If it looks questionable, then it should be:
- rejected
OR
- (if owner agrees) seal to be opened, and then graded as "Qualified"/"new contents" or "used CIB" where applicable.

Looking at the new pic of the box bottom, I would say it's near impossible if it's a factory error or if anyone outside the factory did a reseal.

Oct 06 at 6:37:00 AM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: GPX

This is where the "Qualified" rating comes in handy via the VGA approach. If it looks questionable, then it should be:
- rejected
OR
- (if owner agrees) seal to be opened, and then graded as "Qualified"/"new contents" or "used CIB" where applicable.

Looking at the new pic of the box bottom, I would say it's near impossible if it's a factory error or if anyone outside the factory did a reseal.
We really gonna do this again? At least Wata clearly marked it as a reseal. I’d like to have seen them not give it a seal grade but it’s still labeled a reseal. 

I dont understand why the OP just doesn’t ask them why it’s labeled that way. Seems the easiest way to figure it out. Clearly they have reason to believe it’s a factory reseal and not just a random person doing it. 

Oct 06 at 12:08:38 PM
alekx (108)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
more info on this one than the metal marines i got. at least it says resealed by publisher. but how they determine this and the namco marines as a seal variant but don't call a spade a spade is beyond me. Namco Seal Variant, or LJN seal variant has weight, third party seal just screams reseal in terminology atleast to me.

Oct 06 at 12:29:36 PM
Trade-N-Games (35)
(Jason Brassard) < Meka Chicken >
Missouri
Please show the front of the box top Wata label. Most of the time now it seems when this happens they will remove the incorrect shrink and give it a "NS" no seal rating and still can give it a box rating just not a shrink grade. Could this have maybe been in a factory case found at the offices that WATA opened?

I always have some great games for sale http://www.tradengames.com/store/.... Thanks for looking

Like Trade-n-games on facebook for updates on new inventory

Jason

Oct 06 at 12:45:29 PM
GPX (1)

< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: Trade-N-Games

Please show the front of the box top Wata label. Most of the time now it seems when this happens they will remove the incorrect shrink and give it a "NS" no seal rating and still can give it a box rating just not a shrink grade. Could this have maybe been in a factory case found at the offices that WATA opened?
If it’s originally from the offices or in a factory case, then shouldn’t it be “factory sealed variant”?

I think we have to wait for a response by someone from WATA to explain a bit further. One thing I would like to add is that the end result of this particular graded item probably causes more confusion rather than instilling confidence of its authenticity.

Oct 06 at 12:56:41 PM
alekx (108)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
i think its a stretch to call this reseal a variant. it was the case with the namco games because it was a situation where they were originally sealed with that style. this has been opened unfolded and put back together and resealed.

Oct 06 at 2:43:48 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts

I think we have to wait for a response by someone from WATA to explain a bit further. 

If history is any indicator, a response should come any year now.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Oct 06 at 3:20:48 PM
NesQuest (7)
< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

I think we have to wait for a response by someone from WATA to explain a bit further. 

If history is any indicator, a response should come any year now.

MrMark,  I nominate your response as post of the year  

Oct 06 at 3:51:19 PM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
I believe it is exactly what Wata says it is. End of story.

Oct 06 at 6:14:24 PM
TheAnalogKid (47)
British Columbia
Added label front. Indicates 'Sealed.' Interesting one, to be sure.

Edited: 10/06/2019 at 06:15 PM by TheAnalogKid